Your experience with sound systems on HAL ships

I think I saw in one of the Koningsdam reviews that the ship has a good sound system. I'd be curious to hear your experiences with all HAL ships.

While sailing on Zuiderdam in April, there was a noticeably better sound system than I have found on HAL in the past. In the main show room Vista Lounge and the smaller screening room, I understood more than I expected of a film soundtrack and a lecture by the cruise director Jude, both about the Panama Canal. Usually it's all just noise to me.

I have severe/profound hearing impairment in both ears and perceive that HAL has installed a hearing loop system on Zuiderdam and perhaps their other ships which interacts with hearing aid telecoils, though I could be wrong.

The volume of the shows, lounge music, and background music is far too loud more often than not, but it is not distorted. When I go to lectures they come through clearly.

The PA system on outside decks can sound terribly distorted; it's generally all right in passageways.

Thanks, Ruth - I know what you mean. We attended one show in the Vista Lounge by the singers & dancers where the volume was terribly high - painful to many of us but especially those with hearing aids.

Actually, my hearing dog Raylene was very uncomfortable, too, and would not remain settled at my feet as usual probably due to the volume bothering her as well - she kept shaking her head. So we slipped out. (Fortunately didn't have to climb over anyone.)

I can never understand anything over the PA anywhere, but if my husband is around, he interprets.

Thanks, Ruth - I know what you mean. We attended one show in the Vista Lounge by the singers & dancers where the volume was terribly high - painful to many of us but especially those with hearing aids.

Actually, my hearing dog Raylene was very uncomfortable, too, and would not remain settled at my feet as usual probably due to the volume bothering her as well - she kept shaking her head. So we slipped out. (Fortunately didn't have to climb over anyone.)

I can never understand anything over the PA anywhere, but if my husband is around, he interprets.

I am deaf in one ear so it's often a struggle. My pet peeve is when some lecture person takes questions from the audience but does not give the questioner a mike or repeat the question. No excuse for that and i suspect i am not the only one who finds it annoying.

I am deaf in one ear so it's often a struggle. My pet peeve is when some lecture person takes questions from the audience but does not give the questioner a mike or repeat the question. No excuse for that and i suspect i am not the only one who finds it annoying.

You are definitely not alone.

Hey Chris,

I had to get my aids reset after we got back. According to my audiologist the metal detectors and even store detectors can "sometimes" cause aids to go back to a factory setting. I pretty much knew I was having problems by the time we left Curacao and things just didn't "sound right" anymore. That was about the same time we stopped going to the shows.

Hey Chris,

I had to get my aids reset after we got back. According to my audiologist the metal detectors and even store detectors can "sometimes" cause aids to go back to a factory setting. I pretty much knew I was having problems by the time we left Curacao and things just didn't "sound right" anymore. That was about the same time we stopped going to the shows.

Wow, that's very interesting. I didn't know that could happen.

I have gotten in the habit of bringing ear plugs to the show lounge. Also needed them for BB King, way too loud for me.

The PA system I think is generally quite poor, and yes, distorted; especially of concern if we were to be receiving instructions in an emergency. For the Captain's mid-day announcements I have to scurry around to find a good spot to hear, and it's almost hopeless in the Lido.

m--

Thought it was just me.. I've been wearing two hearing aids for almost 30 years... Lost much of my hearing when I worked a JFK...Never protected my ears when out on the observation deck for lunch.. The Jets used to come in & out below our office...The tarmac crew always wore ear protection, but dummy me never did.. :( My Mother had a profound hearing loss like me & I suspect my loss is partly inherited as well..

I often have to remove one or both of my aids when we go to shows on board as the loud music hurts my ears.. Also have trouble hearing announcements in the cabin.. Unfortunately, my fantastic 16 year old Pup has lost her hearing too, so she no longer barks & I don't always hear the doorbell.:eek:

I wish important announcements and Captains announcements could be repeated on a TV channel with captions. Maybe those with iPads or iPhones or other mobile phones could tune in to a shipboard message system and receive important announcements relayed in caption form. The technology exists now. I have a severe hearing loss caused by military service in the Vietnam war and I cannot hear important announcements over the ship's speaker system and I believe this is a safely issue because I travel alone.

I wish important announcements and Captains announcements could be repeated on a TV channel with captions. Maybe those with iPads or iPhones or other mobile phones could tune in to a shipboard message system and receive important announcements relayed in caption form. The technology exists now. I have a severe hearing loss caused by military service in the Vietnam war and I cannot hear important announcements over the ship's speaker system and I believe this is a safely issue because I travel alone.

That's such an excellent idea and it's so true that captioning technology is available and improving.

When you think about changes for people with mobility issues alone that came about from the ADA (ramps into businesses, larger accessible bathroom stalls and grab bars, curbs) you know such changes can benefit everyone.

Very true Chris but you have to remember the ships aren't U.S. registry and don't have to comply with ADA. Just like foreign ports and cities don't comply. When the ships make accommodations for disabilities they are doing it for PR, not because they are required by law.

On the aids resetting. Apparently the digital aids are susceptible to strong magnetic fields which basically is what a metal detector is. Stores use them for shoplifting. There is a local store that I stay out of because it kept resetting my aids.

Very true Chris but you have to remember the ships aren't U.S. registry and don't have to comply with ADA. Just like foreign ports and cities don't comply. When the ships make accommodations for disabilities they are doing it for PR, not because they are required by law.

On the aids resetting. Apparently the digital aids are susceptible to strong magnetic fields which basically is what a metal detector is. Stores use them for shoplifting. There is a local store that I stay out of because it kept resetting my aids.

I think there was a lawsuit or suits filed against cruise line(s) with the Justice Dept. involved where the court ruled that if they sail from a U.S. port, they must comply with the ADA laws. I read about it on Cruise Critic with links to the documentation...don't have all the details but it led to more accessible rooms on the ships that constantly sail from the U.S. Also led to Compliance Officers on board to monitor.

Thanks for that info about the magnetic fields affecting hearing aids! I learn new things here all the time!

A few months back some of you were involved in a thread discussing the loop technologies in one of the show lounges. There was a name mentioned, I googled it and found some links to personal devices that could be used by a person with a HL. (Small, portable, Directional mics with a sound processing (noise cancellation) unit- maybe an FM unit?? Some were using a cellphone for processing (via their app)). Anyway, I lost the link and don't remember the company. :(. I wanted to follow up with the company for my dad. Does this sound familiar? Could you repost the name?

Yeah, Chris but I think they mostly concentrated on wheelchair access and that sort of thing. I found it odd that ADA only covers certain aspects of aids. Like how a good set will cost $5000+ but you can't claim them as a tax deduction under medical. Even batteries are not allowed. Just kind of crazy what's considered by ADA and what's not. I've even gone so far as to meet with my congressman about it. I know ADA and IRS are different but in mine (and I'm sure yours, too) aids just don't seem to get much attention or respect.

Tiogacruiser, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing but there is an accessory that works with Bluetooth technology. I use it like headphones if DW goes to bed to listen to TV or stereo or even to make phone calls. My particular one is called a ComPilot. It hangs around your neck when you are using it but it does clarify and you control the volume. It basically turns the aids into remote speakers that the user can control. It is programmed right along with the aids. I use it at home but it could most likely be used at public venues.

Yeah, Chris but I think they mostly concentrated on wheelchair access and that sort of thing. I found it odd that ADA only covers certain aspects of aids. Like how a good set will cost $5000+ but you can't claim them as a tax deduction under medical. Even batteries are not allowed. Just kind of crazy what's considered by ADA and what's not. I've even gone so far as to meet with my congressman about it. I know ADA and IRS are different but in mine (and I'm sure yours, too) aids just don't seem to get much attention or respect.

Tiogacruiser, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing but there is an accessory that works with Bluetooth technology. I use it like headphones if DW goes to bed to listen to TV or stereo or even to make phone calls. My particular one is called a ComPilot. It hangs around your neck when you are using it but it does clarify and you control the volume. It basically turns the aids into remote speakers that the user can control. It is programmed right along with the aids. I use it at home but it could most likely be used at public venues.

I'll google that- thanks. By chance is there a remote mic that can be added?

Hey Chris,

Thanks for this! DH has had to have his reset upon returning from cruises and also when we fly places but has no problems at home.

Seems it could well be the metal detectors.

Tiogacruiser, It is Bluetooth so pretty much anything that has Bluetooth connectivity will work. You can even pair a tablet with it for audio. I'm not the most tech savvy person so it might be best to research it and see if it will suit your needs.

The newer (Vista Class and newer) ships use Meyer Sound speakers in the show lounges. These are very high end, and are capable of extraordinary sound quality. However, much depends on the skill of the person behind the mixing deck. Just because they can (and do) sound fabulous, does NOT mean that they cover up lack of skill behind the board. Quite the opposite in fact! Meyer Sound speakers are so good, they expose all the warts of the mix. They will let you hear it if you have a crappy sound engineer.

Lots of jazz performers use these when they tour (Diana Krall and Norah Jones come to mind) because they are so accurate.