Don't even think of trying to share the Cheers program with another cabin...

The post is referring to the idea that the limit is imposed as insurance against over drinking. I merely said that was not the reason for the limit. Nothing else.

If that were it, they would set a limit of 15 and then allow you to continue purchasing individual drinks thus increasing profit. If it were liability then those without a package would be cut off at 15 along with those on the package. It doesn't make much sense in either case.

Edited by Sitzmark

No, The sharing of drinks is exactly why they do force everyone in the cabin to purchase.

We know that's _why_ they do it. We are saying it's a stupid rule. If I buy Cheers I certainly did buy up to 15 drinks and I should be able to use them how I see fit. When I get to 15 in a day I'm done as per my agreement with Carnival. It's not really my problem if they hope I don't use all my 15 drinks - the point is if I buy Cheers I am entitled to 15 drinks. (And on a side note, I know for a fact if I drink 15 drinks in one day I won't be drinking much, if at all, the next day. Even if I shared with my wife, she'd drink 2 or maybe even 3 and I would be ready to take it easy on my liver the next day so Carnival still wins.)

As it is, I'm not buying the package because my wife won't drink nearly enough to make it worth it. We will probably bring cans of orange and pineapple juice and buy a bottle from the Funshop for the room. If I could have bought Cheers for just me (and be allowed to share with her) I would have. They'd have gotten 350 bucks from me instead of just 80 or so.

Carnival really needs to rethink this.

Edited by originalgeek

If I buy Cheers I certainly did buy up to 15 drinks and I should be able to use them how I see fit.

Well it's like sharing a buffet. If I go into a buffet with friend who don't pay and the buffet told me I could eat up to 15 steaks. I know I won't be eating that, but they aren't going to let me just hand them out to my friends that didn't pay.

Also, Carnival banks on you not getting to 15 drinks a day. If everybody did hit the 15 I would assume they would lower it, because I'm sure they aren't making much if you hit 15. They assume you'll drink 6-7 a day and probably less.

Their policy of everybody in the cabin having to get it is dumb though and that's why I normally buy a bottle and smuggle in the rest of my booze, otherwise I gladly pay the Cheers cost every cruise I take. I will be trying cheers this next cruise because of the updated coffee/milkshake/misc. upgrades because my wife, who drinks maybe 2-3 cocktails a day, will actually drink some of that other stuff too as she loves her coffee all day long.

We know that's _why_ they do it. We are saying it's a stupid rule. If I buy Cheers I certainly did buy up to 15 drinks and I should be able to use them how I see fit. When I get to 15 in a day I'm done as per my agreement with Carnival. It's not really my problem if they hope I don't use all my 15 drinks - the point is if I buy Cheers I am entitled to 15 drinks. (And on a side note, I know for a fact if I drink 15 drinks in one day I won't be drinking much, if at all, the next day. Even if I shared with my wife, she'd drink 2 or maybe even 3 and I would be ready to take it easy on my liver the next day so Carnival still wins.)

As it is, I'm not buying the package because my wife won't drink nearly enough to make it worth it. We will probably bring cans of orange and pineapple juice and buy a bottle from the Funshop for the room. If I could have bought Cheers for just me (and be allowed to share with her) I would have. They'd have gotten 350 bucks from me instead of just 80 or so.

Carnival really needs to rethink this.

Just like all of those restaurants that have all you can eat buffets, there is no reason why I can't just pay for me and share with my wife. Since most people have three platefuls of food and we'd only eat one each the restaurant still comes out ahead.;)

Well it's like sharing a buffet. If I go into a buffet with friend who don't pay and the buffet told me I could eat up to 15 steaks. I know I won't be eating that, but they aren't going to let me just hand them out to my friends that didn't pay.

Also, Carnival banks on you not getting to 15 drinks a day. If everybody did hit the 15 I would assume they would lower it, because I'm sure they aren't making much if you hit 15. They assume you'll drink 6-7 a day and probably less.

Their policy of everybody in the cabin having to get it is dumb though and that's why I normally buy a bottle and smuggle in the rest of my booze, otherwise I gladly pay the Cheers cost every cruise I take. I will be trying cheers this next cruise because of the updated coffee/milkshake/misc. upgrades because my wife, who drinks maybe 2-3 cocktails a day, will actually drink some of that other stuff too as she loves her coffee all day long.

LOL, we were posting at the same time.:D

But it's not a buffet. A buffet is all you can eat (in most cases). This is a 15 drink per day limit. If I go to a bar and buy 15 drinks I can give them to whoever I want in there. (legal drinking age of course).

If I go to happy hour and it's buy one, get one free, I can give the other one to my wife.

If it were unlimited drinks then I would expect to have to pay for everyone taking part.

Edited by originalgeek

But it's not a buffet. A buffet is all you can eat (in most cases). This is a 15 drink per day limit. If I go to a bar and buy 15 drinks I can give them to whoever I want in there. (legal drinking age of course).

If it were unlimited drinks then I would expect to have to pay for everyone taking part.

15 drinks for you and no one else. Even if you purchase for everyone in the cabin you still aren't supposed to share with anyone else. At the buffet it is all I can eat, not how much I can give to someone else.

Edited by sparks1093

15 drinks for you and no one else. Even if you purchase for everyone in the cabin you still aren't supposed to share with anyone else.

sigh. Yes, I know that's what the rule is. I'm saying it's a stupid rule. I think they should change it. I don't think they are under any obligation to listen to me but I am on a discussion board and I am discussing it.

They won't get 700 dollars from me to drink 15 drinks a day. They could have gotten 350$. Now they MAY get 80 or 90 or even less if I just decide to get a couple beers. It's their choice and I understand that. I'm just saying I think it should be different.

Edited by originalgeek

Carnival should allow you to purchase the package individually! If your photo comes up, why not? I want it but my partner doesn't drink! COME ON CARNIVAL, JOHN HEALD talk to the beards!

Folks need to remember that the drink package on any line is offered to make the cruise line money. That passengers save money is a good thing, but the reason they exist is to make money for the cruise line. The only way CCL will change anything is if they aren't making enough money from the program (as someone else mentioned is a possibilty with the recent changes).

Edited by sparks1093

sigh. Yes, I know that's what the rule is. I'm saying it's a stupid rule. I think they should change it. I don't think they are under any obligation to listen to me but I am on a discussion board and I am discussing it.

They won't get 700 dollars from me to drink 15 drinks a day. They could have gotten 350$. Now they MAY get 80 or 90 or even less if I just decide to get a couple beers. It's their choice and I understand that. I'm just saying I think it should be different.

That's all well and good and to a point I even agree but neither one of us is driving that train:). I am sure that passengers have been saying the exact same thing since Cheers rolled out and CCL still hasn't made a change, so obviously they are just fine with the status quo.

Wish Carnival would follow RCCL and if one choices to buy one package due to the others in their cabin do no drink or will not benefit from it..

Especially if you have 3/4 pax and only one will use it...

The rules are very clear on this:

Only one alcoholic drink at a time may be ordered using CHEERS! - sharing is not permitted. per https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

So to say you purchased 15 drinks and you can use them as you see fit is a clear violation of the rules.

I do not have an issue with the husbands rooming together and than officially switching. As far as I am aware there is no carnival rule that you must sleep in your assigned cabin. As long as there isn't, you might be gaming the system to your advantage, but you definitely aren't violating rules, so it is ok.

Carnival definitely should let one person in the cabin purchase. If they are afraid of sharing limit it to every 30 minutes instead of 5, or make you turn in an empty before getting another, if its less than an hour. There are enough ways to figure it out.

From the fares that they charge.:)

Not so much anymore, Do you see how much Carnival is charging for the Vista?

This is a comparison

Royal Car. new ship "Harmony of the Seas"

Jan 20-27, 2017---Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony--$1897.00 total for two people, INCLUDING $100 OBC

Carnival new ship "Vista"

Jan 14-Jan 22nd,---Interior Stateroom---$1863.54 total for two people, NO OBC

Yes the Vista has one more day, but it is for a regular interior, Royal's is for an interior with a Virtual Balcony, and Royal offers $100 OBC,

Used to be that Carnival's cruises were much cheaper not that much anymore.

and Norwegian is about the same too.

JS...

At the risk of being flamed for something someone else did....I thought I would share a reason besides "its against the rules" for one cabin to try to share with another cabin for Cheers.

We went with large group and one lady was not going to drink and her hubby is a big drinker. In another cabin the same situation. They came up with the idea to share it--not good.

Reasons besides it is wrong:

1) Your picture comes up with your cheers card and so the one couple that put it on their card had to get all the drinks--it was logistically hard for them to always be together, so the one couple kind of lost out on opportunities to imbibe.

2) The other couple could use the others cards at certain bars, but did get busted at least once. They did not get in trouble, just refused service.

3) The non drinking ladies changed their minds after the cruise started which 'diluted' the number of drinks available per person and increased the difficulty of sharing.

4) It caused a little bit of "miffed feelings" when the card holding couple got more drinks then the non-card holding couple.

I'm just sayin' from witnessing it--don't do it for lots of reasons.

It's a bit naive to think the way to abuse the system is to use someone else's card.

But as long as CCL wants to play the game of forcing everyone in a cabin to purchase the plan, we will continue to book the drinkers in one room(s), and the non drinkers in the other(s). Perfectly legal, breaks no rules, and even the cheerleaders have nothing to say.

And when I want to buy someone else a drink, I will make my way to the bar and get it. I have bought a program for 15, and intend in buying 15.

Each day.

• Like 1

Not so much anymore, Do you see how much Carnival is charging for the Vista?

This is a comparison

Royal Car. new ship "Harmony of the Seas"

Jan 20-27, 2017---Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony--$1897.00 total for two people, INCLUDING $100 OBC

Carnival new ship "Vista"

Jan 14-Jan 22nd,---Interior Stateroom---$1863.54 total for two people, NO OBC

Yes the Vista has one more day, but it is for a regular interior, Royal's is for an interior with a Virtual Balcony, and Royal offers $100 OBC,

Used to be that Carnival's cruises were much cheaper not that much anymore.

and Norwegian is about the same too.

JS...

Overall you will pay less with CCL than with any other mainstream line. There was a documentary done on an NCL ship "Cruise Inc." and in that documentary it was disclosed that in order for a particular cruise to make a profit what it came down to was bar sales (I believe it was $8 worth of bar sales average for each person onboard), and this documentary was made when NCL and CCL were closer in their fare structure.

I think the reason for this rule (all in cabin must purchase) more than to prevent sharing. Before the program, large groups could get an alcohol package if EVERYONE in the group participated. Otherwise, only the heavy drinkers would purchase it and they would lose money. I think that is part of the reason for the rule with the cheers program. This way, they are more likely to get some not-so-heavy drinkers in the pool of passengers who purchase the card. The pricing assumes that not everyone will drink 15 per day.

Also, it does make sense to impose a 15 drink limit on the program to mitigate liability even though there is no such limit on those purchasing by the drink. A person is much more likely to over-imbibe when the drinks are "free".

Carnival would sell a lot more of these if they would make it available to just the person that drinks. My wife hardly drinks anything, so why would I want to buy the package for her??? Not going to, so I don't buy it at all. Otherwise I would buy it for myself.

I agree, but I don't know how the cruise line would police it.

The rules are very clear on this:

Only one alcoholic drink at a time may be ordered using CHEERS! - sharing is not permitted. per https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

So to say you purchased 15 drinks and you can use them as you see fit is a clear violation of the rules.

The rule is very clear to me as well. I said I _should_ be allowed to use them as I see fit. I think the rule is stupid and I would like to see it changed. That rule is why I'm not buying the package.

Carnival is gouging plain and simple, because they can, forcing everyone in cabin to buy it with a 15 drink limit it shouldn't be necessary.

Then don't buy the package, real simple....and seriously, if 15 drinks per day is not enough, you may have a bigger issue than the rules of the Cheers program :cool:

Edited by First and Ten

That's all well and good and to a point I even agree but neither one of us is driving that train:). I am sure that passengers have been saying the exact same thing since Cheers rolled out and CCL still hasn't made a change, so obviously they are just fine with the status quo.

True indeed. I know I don't have any pull with Carnival. But I think they have changed it at least once - they raised the allowed per drink cap from 10 to 50 dollars. Maybe if enough people get on board with a modified sharing policy they will change again.

Get on the drink train folks! :)

From the fares that they charge.:)

Unless you know each lines operating costs you can't say that lower fares equal more revenue from alcohol sales. I'm sure all the mainstream lines depend heavily on drink sales.

And carnival isn't always the lowest price. Many people have posted comparisons showing that often times Royal, ncl or even some of the other lines are less for the same cruise.

It's a bit naive to think the way to abuse the system is to use someone else's card.

But as long as CCL wants to play the game of forcing everyone in a cabin to purchase the plan, we will continue to book the drinkers in one room(s), and the non drinkers in the other(s). Perfectly legal, breaks no rules, and even the cheerleaders have nothing to say.

And when I want to buy someone else a drink, I will make my way to the bar and get it. I have bought a program for 15, and intend in buying 15.

Each day.

I still don't understand why this is seen as "not cheating." Okay, let's say my adult daughter and I are cruising with other family members. My daughter will drink alot more than me when on vacation, so buying Cheers would only benefit her. If we both were honest about the fact that we would be sharing a room, for her to get it, I would have to also - so instead of $400 it would be $800 for CCL.

Now, my sister & her husband are cruising with us and are staying in their cabin - husband drinks alot, sister doesn't - being honest with CCL for husband to get it sister will have to - again $800 for both.

How do you get that instead we lie and book daughter & husband in one cabin - me and sister in another & then switch when we get onboard and it's "all perfectly legal and breaks no rule"???

Whether I'm dishonest about which cabin I'm staying in or like the OP stated - one couple purchases it knowing that only one in each cabin will actually be using it (husbands in each cabin)- CCL got paid for 2 packages in this case and CCL gets paid for 2 packages in your case. How is your lie more acceptable than their's???

Now, personally I have no problem with either - but, let's not pretend that playing muscial cabins is somehow perfectly acceptable when is comes to purchasing CHEERS. I can almost bet that CCL would not see it that way.

I'm not a shamer and I try to stay out of other people's business - I've (gasp!!) been known to share a drink or two when I've purchased the packages - but at least I admit I'm cheating.

I still don't understand why this is seen as "not cheating." Okay, let's say my adult daughter and I are cruising with other family members. My daughter will drink alot more than me when on vacation, so buying Cheers would only benefit her. If we both were honest about the fact that we would be sharing a room, for her to get it, I would have to also - so instead of $400 it would be $800 for CCL.

Now, my sister & her husband are cruising with us and are staying in their cabin - husband drinks alot, sister doesn't - being honest with CCL for husband to get it sister will have to - again $800 for both.

How do you get that instead we lie and book daughter & husband in one cabin - me and sister in another & then switch when we get onboard and it's "all perfectly legal and breaks no rule"???

Whether I'm dishonest about which cabin I'm staying in or like the OP stated - one couple purchases it knowing that only one in each cabin will actually be using it (husbands in each cabin)- CCL got paid for 2 packages in this case and CCL gets paid for 2 packages in your case. How is your lie more acceptable than their's???

Now, personally I have no problem with either - but, let's not pretend that playing muscial cabins is somehow perfectly acceptable when is comes to purchasing CHEERS. I can almost bet that CCL would not see it that way.

I'm not a shamer and I try to stay out of other people's business - I've (gasp!!) been known to share a drink or two when I've purchased the packages - but at least I admit I'm cheating.

Just a question, and maybe I am missing something real obvious, so don't flame me to hard if I am....so you book it that way and you put your daughter and sisters hubby in one room and you and sis in the other room, so the Cheers program works out....doesn't it get to be a pain in the arse when you try to access rooms? Meaning, obviously your daughter is not "rooming" with your BIL and your sister is not "rooming" with you....your daughter cant get into your room and your sister cant get in her hubbies room because your SS card only allows you to access the room you are "booked" in....and your daughter just cant switch cards with your sister, because your sisters card doesn't have the Cheers package activated....how do u get around it?

Edited by First and Ten