Good tasting water

e150club

I plan on taking some personal brita bottles with filters and hopefully that filters out any funky taste and extra sodium. When you are use to a certain tasting water the ships water is very off putting. The filtered bottles will hopefully prevent having to buy bottled water and you can easily fill with ice from the machine and have ice cold water all the time.

While the Brita's charcoal filter will remove the chlorine and its attendant taste, it will not remove sodium from the water. Only a reverse osmosis filter will do that.

We only drink bottled water at home as our water department sends out a report, that our tap water is, IMO not drinkable. But, so far, have never saw any discoloration in water in any of our cruise ships. We drink it and find it more refreshing than the bottled, over ice, of course. We get it right from the bathroom taps. If it were funky looking I would just fill up our tumblers with in from the buffet. We get water included with Cheers! now, and will still drink the ship water. As far as salt, I swell up like crazy at home if I let my sodium intake be more than it should. Have never had that problem on a cruise.

I think it was in Nassau or Port Canaveral that they had the blue hose pumping potable water into the ship. some ships may get water from the shore. Not salt water.

If you ever did a Behind the Scenes Tour, you would know, most of the water used is sea water. The entire water system is monitored by computer constantly. It looks like the bridge of the Enterprise in the computer monitoring room. In Colorado, top of the water chain, the tap water is probably in the 70's in the summer, wish it was 55.

(Suggestion):

Always ask for a plastic liner for an ice bucket. People use/do many things with them. Including using them if they're sick & can't make it to the bathroom in time.

:eek:

I never use ice buckets in hotels because of this, I have no reason to believe that it would be any different on ships.

I have seen many reports that bottled "Spring Water", is the only bottled water you should be drinking. Non spring water is usually no more than well water put into bottles without any treatment.

There's an area in Virginia that (I was there, late '80s) lots of underground springs. Some guy had it rigged up that you could come and get water free. It was in his will. A lot of people had cisterns and would get enough to fill them. Got mine from some guy with a "water truck" costs me $12. to fill my cistern. He got it from there. That was spring water for sure, and certainly wasn't treated. Never gave it a second thought, just drank it. Though I did obsess that the cistern be kept clean. Was rumored that a water company from that state that sold bottled water also got it from there. ;)

I have seen many reports that bottled "Spring Water", is the only bottled water you should be drinking. Non spring water is usually no more than well water put into bottles without any treatment.

The EPA designates, Spring Water as nothing more than water that comes from an underground aquaphor. AKA, well water. It does not mean that it contains less contaminants than other waters. It still can contain arsenic, fertilizers, etc.

I have well water and like it but it definitely needs to be softened. If I wanted I could start bottling it and label it "Spring Water". Spring water doesn't mean it comes from a lovely, babbling brook in the pristine wilderness. BTW: A lot of those streams can be naturally contaminated.

You should never drink distilled water as your primary water source because ALL minerals are removed.

I once gave the advice that the ship's water is "Just Fine", and it is, but after a number of episodes on various ships, I no longer give that advice. If you like the ship's water then drink it. It won't hurt you but be prepared for chlorine scale (brown water), chlorine taste, odor and sometimes a "strange" taste. I always check the water and if it tastes OK, I'll drink it. If not then I will drink bottled, or filtered water while on the ship.

Take care,

Mike

(Suggestion):

Always ask for a plastic liner for an ice bucket. People use/do many things with them. Including using them if they're sick & can't make it to the bathroom in time.

The ice buckets are sent out for dish washing every change day. Sometimes you will see the room stewards with a big plastic bag on one of their carts full of ice buckets.

Not sure why I'm jumping into this thread but here it goes. I have been in the water treatment business for over 30 years and do consider myself an expert. The problem with ships water is of course water filled from ports but also the holding tanks. If you think they are not disinfected then you are mistaken. Most harmful water contaminants can not be seen or tasted. The thought that you need minerals in water is also poor information. Minerals in water are inorganic and are not assimilated. Now by all means drink whatever you want but if water and only water in its purest form than drink water that has been processed by reverse osmosis. Water has no medicinal purposes other than to hydrate the body and should be as close to H20 as possible. JMHO So while on board its bottled R/O water for me until I get home.

Not sure why I'm jumping into this thread but here it goes. I have been in the water treatment business for over 30 years and do consider myself an expert. The problem with ships water is of course water filled from ports but also the holding tanks. If you think they are not disinfected then you are mistaken. Most harmful water contaminants can not be seen or tasted. The thought that you need minerals in water is also poor information. Minerals in water are inorganic and are not assimilated. Now by all means drink whatever you want but if water and only water in its purest form than drink water that has been processed by reverse osmosis. Water has no medicinal purposes other than to hydrate the body and should be as close to H20 as possible. JMHO So while on board its bottled R/O water for me until I get home.

While you may be an expert in water treatment on land, you are somewhat misinformed about ships. The water brought onboard in ports is chlorinated to a minimum of 2 ppm continuously during bunkering. Since the water onboard is continually recirculating from the tanks to the hotel and back to the tanks, the minimum residual chlorine that must be maintained at 0.5 ppm continuously returns to the tanks. The tanks are coated with special epoxy coatings specifically designed for potable water tanks, are inspected for coating failure regularly, and are specifically disinfected after any entry into the tank.

As stated before, all water bunkered from ports is tested for bacterial count, and segregated from use until the test is negative, 18-24 hours.

Not sure how you say that "water in its purest form" is from a reverse osmosis filter, I wonder why distilled water is not made from reverse osmosis, but from evaporators, which constitute one method that ships use to produce water. The other is the reverse osmosis units onboard, and the shore water, in most cases, constitutes a very small percentage of the water used onboard.

The chlorine and calcium carbonate added to the water can be removed with a carbon filter, which is done at all water using equipment onboard like the water dispensers in the dining venues and buffet, bar guns, etc. The chlorine in the water from your cabin sink can also be removed simply by letting the water sit and the chlorine will dissipate naturally.

If you ever did a Behind the Scenes Tour, you would know, most of the water used is sea water. The entire water system is monitored by computer constantly. It looks like the bridge of the Enterprise in the computer monitoring room. In Colorado, top of the water chain, the tap water is probably in the 70's in the summer, wish it was 55.

Enterprise Cvn 6 or 65.

For some reason, bottled water tastes better to me (yes, I know of the multitude of research that states that the water does not taste any different) so I am guessing I better stick to bottled water on the ship

Many people like bottled water. The water from the sink in the cabin sometimes is a little funky. The water from the Lido deck is well filtered and to me is just as good if not better then bottled water. Why pay for water.

I have found that the water from that spigot on the lido is the best tasting water anywhere.

The water in the cabin is disgusting. And the generic water they are trying to sell you is from some local public municipality, which is being bottled and sold. When I "NEED" to buy bottled water, it is ALWAYS a national brand.

I have found that the water from that spigot on the lido is the best tasting water anywhere.

The water in the cabin is disgusting. And the generic water they are trying to sell you is from some local public municipality, which is being bottled and sold. When I "NEED" to buy bottled water, it is ALWAYS a national brand.

I always get a chuckle when I see people drinking out of an Evian bottle. If you spell it backwards.... what do you get?

Evian_Naive_2Bottles450O.jpg

I have to agree with previous posters about the over salty food on cruise ships being much more likely to be causing the swelling problems than the water. I am also concerned about the huge problem to our environment that the billions of empty water bottles have caused since they became a craze. On occasion when necessary I do use individual water bottles, but I am glad that I enjoy water filtered through reusable Brita bottles and also find the water onboard cruise ships in the dining rooms and the buffets perfectly indistinguishable from the taste of bottled water.