Global entry

RNGALNG

Good to know that we don't have to go together, as I suspect it will be easier for us to get cancellation spots individually since I have to schedule around my work hours. It would be great if we could go together - we're hoping to BART over to avoid traffic and parking - but aren't counting on it.

Appreciate the reassurance that you are already pre-approved by the time you get to the interview.

I read that the 24-hr schedule at SFO was a 60 day pilot program that started on June 12th. I can't find any information about whether or not the hours will continue beyond the 60 days, and no one answers the listed phone number. (I'm surprised they don't have a recording with a few basics like hours of operation and walk-in policy.)

We are planning to start the online application this weekend. According to some posts I've read, this can take about an hour? Hopefully, ours will be simpler as my husband has only had one international trip in the past 10 years, and I think mine were before that. (We just got our renewed passports in the mail, and are hoping the old ones are returned soon, so we can double-check the dates on his passport stamps.)

I'll check the flyer talk forums.

Thanks for all of the quick and helpful responses. (I may be back with more questions as I'm filling out my application!)

This is true, you are approved before you go to the interview. The CPB officer verifies you photo ID, takes your fingerprints and finalizes your account on his/her computer. You leave the interview completely equipped with your GE number, ready for use. Some days later a GE card will arrive in the mail, but it is not necessary to have the card in your possession to use GE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are conditionally approved bearing the officer then approves you. He can still deny you. There are plenty of stories out there of people finger printed and they walk out only to receive a denial.

You are not approved until the officer says so or marks it so. It can be withdrawn at any time and no explanation needs to be given.

We are planning to start the online application this weekend. According to some posts I've read, this can take about an hour? Hopefully, ours will be simpler as my husband has only had one international trip in the past 10 years, and I think mine were before that. (We just got our renewed passports in the mail, and are hoping the old ones are returned soon, so we can double-check the dates on his passport stamps.)

I'll check the flyer talk forums.

My application took 30 minutes to complete, at most. I can that some could take longer. Read flyer talk before filling it out. Especially if you are unsure of anything (forgot about an apple once, was arrested but not charged, etc..).

Flyer talk can tell you availability of interviews also (is SFO continuing or maybe they don't need to). I asked about a friend trying to get into Philadelphia before she was approved and had an answer right away.

Edited by Coral

I also highly encourage to ALWAYS take your GE ID card with you when you travel. Luckily we had ours coming in from Ecuador into Miami at 3:00 AM when all the ID machines were down and because we physically had our card on us we were able to enter the GE line. Those that did not have their card with them were denied entry into the line and it was UGLY!!!!

My application took 30 minutes to complete, at most. I can that some could take longer. Read flyer talk before filling it out. Especially if you are unsure of anything (forgot about an apple once, was arrested but not charged, etc..).

Flyer talk can tell you availability of interviews also (is SFO continuing or maybe they don't need to). I asked about a friend trying to get into Philadelphia before she was approved and had an answer right away.

Haven't had time to go into any depth, but, at first glance, flyer talk looks like it is going to be really helpful.

Honestly, our careers, lifestyles have been so stable (boring?) that I'm not worried about any "surprises" in the interview, but I don't want to get penalized for making a mistake on the form, so I'll definitely go to flyer talk before filling it out online.

I also highly encourage to ALWAYS take your GE ID card with you when you travel. Luckily we had ours coming in from Ecuador into Miami at 3:00 AM when all the ID machines were down and because we physically had our card on us we were able to enter the GE line. Those that did not have their card with them were denied entry into the line and it was UGLY!!!!

Good to know!

I know this has probably already been stated somewhere in the thread, but I think it bears repeating. If the you are fretting about getting the interview scheduled, be persistent about re-checking the website. Close-in appointments do open up from time to time.

I know this has probably already been stated somewhere in the thread, but I think it bears repeating. If the you are fretting about getting the interview scheduled, be persistent about re-checking the website. Close-in appointments do open up from time to time.

Yes, that seems to be the #1 suggestion in getting a timely appointment. Thanks for the reminder!

Haven't had time to go into any depth, but, at first glance, flyer talk looks like it is going to be really helpful.

Honestly, our careers, lifestyles have been so stable (boring?) that I'm not worried about any "surprises" in the interview, but I don't want to get penalized for making a mistake on the form, so I'll definitely go to flyer talk before filling it out online.

I had an incident where I had bought beef jerky in the US (Walmart brand), flew to Japan, and then 4 days later flew home. I had a beagle find me at Customs. I was not fined but my customs form was marked. I had to go through extra screening. It was a Customs Violation and I should have marked it on my application. I had forgotten about it. It is this sort of stuff "that they know about". In my situation, it wasn't a big deal. Someone else had the same issue with an apple. They were granted an interview (conditionally approved) and then denied. I am pretty squeaky clean also but was worried as I had wrongly marked my application.

After I filled out the application I did a search on what would prevent me and this came up and I so wish I could have modified my application. Thus, recommend reading up over there for a while first. A lot of other people make mistakes on dates of employment and addresses.

I had an incident where I had bought beef jerky in the US (Walmart brand), flew to Japan, and then 4 days later flew home. I had a beagle find me at Customs. I was not fined but my customs form was marked. I had to go through extra screening. It was a Customs Violation and I should have marked it on my application. I had forgotten about it. It is this sort of stuff "that they know about". In my situation, it wasn't a big deal. Someone else had the same issue with an apple. They were granted an interview (conditionally approved) and then denied. I am pretty squeaky clean also but was worried as I had wrongly marked my application.

After I filled out the application I did a search on what would prevent me and this came up and I so wish I could have modified my application. Thus, recommend reading up over there for a while first. A lot of other people make mistakes on dates of employment and addresses.

A beagle??

Oh my gosh, it is scary what they know about.

Are they asking specifically about the past ten years? Because I haven't traveled out of the country during that time, but I did do more international traveling 20+ years ago. I don't think I've ever had any even minor infractions with Customs, but my memory isn't what it used to be!

A beagle??

Oh my gosh, it is scary what they know about.

Are they asking specifically about the past ten years? Because I haven't traveled out of the country during that time, but I did do more international traveling 20+ years ago. I don't think I've ever had any even minor infractions with Customs, but my memory isn't what it used to be!

Yep - a cute little beagle :). He spotted me. It was just odd as it was Walmart branded but I was bringing "dried meat into the US". Thankfully I wasn't fined.

I think they just ask about the last 5 years and asks what countries outside of Canada and Mexico that you have traveled to.

Yep - a cute little beagle :). He spotted me. It was just odd as it was Walmart branded but I was bringing "dried meat into the US". Thankfully I wasn't fined.

I think they just ask about the last 5 years and asks what countries outside of Canada and Mexico that you have traveled to.

It would be interesting to watch a beagle at work, as long as he didn't find anything in my bag!

The only experience I have had with search dogs is when I was a student traveling in Germany on a Eurail pass. There was an unannounced inspection of our traveling compartment by some men in uniform with a German Shepherd. As I was leaving the compartment, I turned back to grab the package of cookies I had been snacking on. One of the other passengers looked at me and told me (in German) that the dog was looking for drugs, not cookies!

Hopefully, it's just five years, because I'm sure I haven't traveled out of the country during that time.

Thanks. I am similarly situated.

When we were interviewed for Global Entry, we were warned more than once that if we were caught bringing 'illegal' stuff into a country, our Global Entry would be revoked.

Also it pays to check other places near you for your GE interview. We would have waited 6 weeks for Tucson AZ, but could have the interview next day at the border in Nogales, AZ. It also pays to keep checking the website as they do have cancellations so you could possibly find an earlier time slot.

When we were interviewed for Global Entry, we were warned more than once that if we were caught bringing 'illegal' stuff into a country, our Global Entry would be revoked.

Oh me too! I assume it was due to the beef jerky. He was telling me not to say "no to all" on the kiosk and answer each question individually because if there was any doubt, to say yes. And then strongly said "because if you are ever found in customs violations, you will be banned for life from global entry".

Hopefully, it's just five years, because I'm sure I haven't traveled out of the country during that time.

I haven't traveled outside of Canada and Mexico in 5 years but did so beforehand so it isn't any longer.

Make sure your passport name and GE name match. One of mine has an initial and one has my full middle name. I will just correct it next year on my passport. According to others it is not a big deal with the middle name.

Edited by Coral

Also it pays to check other places near you for your GE interview. We would have waited 6 weeks for Tucson AZ, but could have the interview next day at the border in Nogales, AZ. It also pays to keep checking the website as they do have cancellations so you could possibly find an earlier time slot.

To echo Cruise2end, we live in Southern California and the wait for being interviewed at LAX was not til December, but I was able to get an appointment in San Diego in just a couple of weeks in August. About the same drive for us living in South Orange County.

I've had Global Entry for a couple of years and I wanted to share a few of our experiences.

I was accepted immediately but DH was denied. He had a 35 year old out of state speeding ticket that he had ignored and he could not get GE until it was cleaned up. They gave him a 30-day window but he did not do it within that time. Finally he got tired of my getting through lines faster than him so he contacted the issuer of the ticket, paid the fine, re-applied for GE, paid the application fee a second time, went for a second interview and got his card just in time for our recent flight to Europe.

I had knee replacement surgery last year. I've now learned that when I get to the Pre-Check agent, I advise them that I have an artificial knee. In most cases that requires I use the regular security lane but they send me straight to the front. It also usually means some sort of pat-down but at least I don't have to wait in line for it.

When using a Global Entry kiosk, the fingerprint scanner may not read correctly if your hands are dry. Use a little hand lotion as your plane is landing.

In June, we were connecting through PHL on a flight from Rome. Our international flight was delayed and we had about 45 minutes to clear immigration, collect our luggage, clear customs, re-check our luggage, go through security and get to our gate for the flight home. Thanks to Global Entry, we were at our gate 30 minutes before flight time. It really is worth the bother.

I had knee replacement surgery last year. I've now learned that when I get to the Pre-Check agent, I advise them that I have an artificial knee. In most cases that requires I use the regular security lane but they send me straight to the front. It also usually means some sort of pat-down but at least I don't have to wait in line for it.

Good to know...I have 2 artificial knees. So, now I know what to expect.

When using a Global Entry kiosk, the fingerprint scanner may not read correctly if your hands are dry. Use a little hand lotion as your plane is landing.

When we had our interview, my thumb was too dry. The interviewer had me rub my thumb on my forehead. You may not have hand lotion with you, but you always have your forehead. :D

I applied for GE on Thursday after applying for TSA by mistake. I wasn't aware of the difference. I thought the application web site was somewhat difficult to navigate, ex: I didn't know that maternal name meant mother's maiden name. Why didn't they just say that, I'll never know - but I left it blank.

I already have TSA Pre check as I have a FFN and fly business 99% of the time but wanted the added benefit of customs etc. Seems like it's taking about 10-14 days currently to get pre-approval and then depending on where you live, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to get an appt for an interview. I live close to the Port of Palm Beach and they do take walk ins after 3 pm every day so hopefully I can complete this before I fly to Dublin on Sept. 27th before Royal cruise on Oct 8.

Wish me luck!!