Rain jacket

Can anyone recommend a packable rain jacket ( the kind that folds up into a pouch) that one would wear over layers? Thank you in advance.

If you are going to Alaska, yes, you might want to bring it. Lots of rain in Alaska.

Edited by geocruiser

I bought one at Sierra Trading Post (on line). Turquoise (but comes in multiple colors, toggle fastener on hood & bottom, zip front & zip pockets (very important to me). Folds into a zip pocket. Bought a matching jacket in royal blue for DH. We wore them on our Hawaii/Vancouver crossing, not because it was raining, but because it was a great wind barrier. Great jacket, they'll go on every trip with us from now on

I swear by the LL Bean Train Model rain jacket: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68168?page=trail-model-rain-jacket

Some cheaper rain jackets are not completely waterproof, but this one really is. Yet it is also breathable.

The hood is fully adjustable and has a small bill to keep the rain from dripping on your face.

They are very durable. I've had my first one for about 10 years and it is still going strong. Got a second one in a cute, brighter color in 2011. They have some cute colors on sale right now.

They fold up very small for travel. I've been known to keep mine in my cross-body purse if it is a cloudy day. Takes up less space than an umbrella (and much better, especially in cities).

Edited by cruisemom42

I swear by the LL Bean Train Model rain jacket: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68168?page=trail-model-rain-jacket

Some cheaper rain jackets are not completely waterproof, but this one really is. Yet it is also breathable.

The hood is fully adjustable and has a small bill to keep the rain from dripping on your face.

They are very durable. I've had my first one for about 10 years and it is still going strong. Got a second one in a cute, brighter color in 2011. They have some cute colors on sale right now.

They fold up very small for travel. I've been known to keep mine in my cross-body purse if it is a cloudy day. Takes up less space than an umbrella (and much better, especially in cities).

Just went to the LLBean website and The Trail Model Jacket and coat are both

on sale now. The coat is just above knee length so I will be buying that. THANKS for the suggestion. We will be in Iceland and the Shetland and Faroe Islands in a few weeks and this should keep out the rain and wind.