BEWARE Pearl Seas Cuba Cruise

swells5502

You do not accept reservations for a cruise UNTIL you have government permission to conduct them. I feel for the OP, and the cruise line is at fault, despite what their contract may say. Sounds like a bit of a scam to me.

You do not accept reservations for a cruise UNTIL you have government permission to conduct them. I feel for the OP, and the cruise line is at fault, despite what their contract may say. Sounds like a bit of a scam to me.

Right.

Good way to get a lot of money to play with for many months (or years?).

Hey... I'm offering a cruise to <insert details>, and we require payment when you make the reservation, which is - full disclosure - subject to arranging things.

IF we aren't able to get it all together by the sail date (okay, a week before?), then we will OF COURSE !!! refund all your money.

but if YOU cancel, we'll keep half.

The rest is just pesky details.

:eek:

Edited by GeezerCouple

OP put money down (partially non-refundable) on a cruise with hope that he would get ahead of the game should the cruise company be given the go ahead to Cuba. The cruise company agreed to hold the cabin for the OP at the agreed price in the event they were able to sail to Cuba. Both were to get something of value out of the agreement. Sounds like a balanced contract to me. I don't think any credit card company will be able to get a refund for the OP.

Appreciated is the OP's bringing this awareness to others: read your contract.

We booked in Feburay on Pearl Seas to go to Cuba in December 2016. As of this date they have had to cancel 6 cruises due to NO APPROVAL to travel to Cuba. When we discovered this, we called to cancel. They would NOT take cancellation over phone. Had to send certified letter. Funny, they booked us and took our deposit over the phone. After several calls and assurances that someone would call me back...they never did. However they refunded 1/2 of our deposit stating that the other 1/2 $850 was ADMINSTRATIVE FEES. I am posting to WARN anyone considering this company that they are in my opinion false advertising. They DO NOT have permission to travel and they kept 1/2 of our deposit which is shocking!! Which appears to me to be theft of my "good faith" deposit as it is not our fault they do not have permission to travel to Cuba. Please BEWARE, they not reputable.

We too got screwed by this company...we did get refunded. However, we were on the first cruise March 6 and they notified us 3 days before and we had to cancel airfare, hotels, and

Car...lost hundreds of,dollars and called them at least 15 times since March 6 only getting

Put of by Maxine, Brittany, Tracy and the whole team that answer the phone....we did a scathing 1 star review today which hopefully alert the "poor people" that are going to get

Screwed by this unstable and deceptive practices...We feel,very badly for you!!!!they will give you a runaround.....do what you need to,do!!!!!

]You do not accept reservations for a cruise UNTIL you have government permission to conduct them.[/b] I feel for the OP' date=' and the cruise line is at fault, despite what their contract may say. Sounds like a bit of a scam to me.[/quote']

I don't think they twisted anyone's arms to make the deposits and reservations. Every person who booked did so of their own choice.

Again, I'm not defending the cruise line's decision to accept reservations for a cruise they still don't know whether it will happen. But the people who willingly made deposits have to accept some of the responsibility here. The terms were there for the reading. If you don't like the terms, don't make the deposit. Simple as that. But don't make the deposit and then when you decide later on you don't like the terms complain that the Company has wronged you.

We too got screwed by this company...we did get refunded. However, we were on the first cruise March 6 and they notified us 3 days before and we had to cancel airfare, hotels, and

Car...lost hundreds of,dollars and called them at least 15 times since March 6 only getting

Put of by Maxine, Brittany, Tracy and the whole team that answer the phone....we did a scathing 1 star review today which hopefully alert the "poor people" that are going to get

Screwed by this unstable and deceptive practices...We feel,very badly for you!!!!they will give you a runaround.....do what you need to,do!!!!!

MY POINT EXACTLY!! It isn't just the cruise costs, it is airfare, hotels etc. They only notified you 3 DAYS AHEAD OF TIME??!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. What if you had traveled to Miami already...what would that have cost?? All those names you mentioned are who we have talked to as well. NO ONE CALLED US BACK!!! It is a huge SCAM and people need to know that. BTW...We posted on their FB page and it has DISAPPEARED!!! They are hiding....BEWARE!!

EAXCTLY!! We booked in good faith, and later discovered they cancelled 6 cruises. Can you imagine how many people were affected by that and how much money they lost on airfare, hotel etc?. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! They know exactly what they are doing...they just hope we don't find out. SCAM AND FALSE ADVERTISING!!! You can't sell something you don't have.

EAXCTLY!! We booked in good faith, and later discovered they cancelled 6 cruises. Can you imagine how many people were affected by that and how much money they lost on airfare, hotel etc?. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! They know exactly what they are doing...they just hope we don't find out. SCAM AND FALSE ADVERTISING!!! You can't sell something you don't have.

But you booked it even though they disclosed it was still subject to final approval...on their site, in the terms you agreed to. If you feel that strongly that they should not be selling something they don't have, why did you buy it?

I'm on the side of the OP on this one. This was pretty crappy of Pearl Seas. You don't book people on an itinerary that isn't even approved by the host state, and in the cruise industry, you don't retain the customer's deposit 7 months out.

But you booked it even though they disclosed it was still subject to final approval...on their site, in the terms you agreed to. If you feel that strongly that they should not be selling something they don't have, why did you buy it?

We booked because we were innocent about not having approval. I have never been on a cruise that HAD NO PERMISSION to travel and sold anyway!! As you probably are aware Fathom just got approval to travel! We unfortunately assumed it was just a few days away for approval. Then USA TODAY and others started writing about Pearl Seas lack of approval. That got our attention. Since we didn't want to wait until 3 days prior to departure to find out like another poster on here told us...we cancelled. As others have mentioned..7 months out, they should have refunded TOTAL amount. I am just trying to WARN others to BEWARE!!!

I'm on the side of the OP on this one. This was pretty crappy of Pearl Seas. You don't book people on an itinerary that isn't even approved by the host state, and in the cruise industry, you don't retain the customer's deposit 7 months out.

That is why I am trying to warn others to BEWARE!! 6 cruises full of people have been screwed over by this company yet, they are still advertising AND TAKING PEOPLE'S MONEY for a product they DO NOT HAVE!! If they had fully refunded me, I would have been satisfied. But they lied to me on several occasions telling me someone would call me back. It is a pattern of poor customer service. It is a shame they have affected so many people in a negative way financially.

I googled cruise line reviews and one that popped up was cruise line reviews.

Pearl Seas was not listed as a cruise line that you could review.

Three months ago a poster had asked to have the line added. After 4 days they still had not added the poster was frustrated. As of today it still has not been added.

It is very difficult to find reviews about this cruise line.

Found three. Two employees and one on Yelp.

Yelp was poor review and the two employees were split. One employee quit.

This company has to be bad if cruise critic does not want to give away one of their cruises.

I am too am excited at the opportunity to go to Cuba but because of lack of reviews it is definitely buyer beware.

It's hard to get the word out if there is no platform.

I think I have exceeded my limit of posts for one subject lol.

Sorry they removed your FB comment. That shows their character.

I googled cruise line reviews and one that popped up was cruise line reviews.

Pearl Seas was not listed as a cruise line that you could review.

Three months ago a poster had asked to have the line added. After 4 days they still had not added the poster was frustrated. As of today it still has not been added.

It is very difficult to find reviews about this cruise line.

Found three. Two employees and one on Yelp.

Yelp was poor review and the two employees were split. One employee quit.

This company has to be bad if cruise critic does not want to give away one of their cruises.

I am too am excited at the opportunity to go to Cuba but because of lack of reviews it is definitely buyer beware.

It's hard to get the word out if there is no platform.

I think I have exceeded my limit of posts for one subject lol.

Sorry they removed your FB comment. That shows their character.

That also has been my difficulty...there is no place to WARN other travelers. So I tried this place. I think they have a nice ship according to brochures etc, but their business practice is HORRIBLE. I found several complaints on their Panama cruise. If they continue this way, don't know how they will stay in business.. Unless they keep suckering people like us!! If anyone out there finds a place on internet where to alert people, please let me know....

Pearl Seas reviews are definitely on CC. I read just enough of them to know I would not touch the cruise line with a 10 foot pole!

They often do not deliver what they advertise.

YES, but just don't have enough avenues to WARN the general public!! That is what they are counting on to get more unsuspecting folks!

Sorry OP. My post was a little harsh. I guess I just needed a dog to kick!

(I would never kick any animal)

It is just a shame how big corporations take advantage even if it was written in tiny print.

They had no business taking money for a product they weren't selling.

I would keep going up the ladder.

Someone there has the power to refund your money. It's just finding the right person.

Just be kind and try for empathy from someone at that company.

Here is the public relations site. media@pearlseascruises.com

Also they are on Face Book. Maybe make an appeal to the company. You want someone to say what have we done to this family.

I just wrote them and asked for better communication and suggested that giving 3 days notice is bad business. I hope others will also email them.

Oregonskier

I have traveled all my life and I look for the new , unusual, exciting, educational trips.

If you signed up for Pearl Seas Cuban cruise then you are an adventurer. If you are a season traveler you know going to Cuba is difficult. Excelling at travel means dealing with problems and making the most of it.

On the first page of the Pearl Seas brochure about Cuba under the map is the statement "These cultural voyages are subject to final government approval."

Being a seasoned traveler and signed up for a cruise to Cuba in Feb 2017, I started to research the issue of if they got their approval.

There has been no way to find out this information. This is where the cruise line has fallen down. Telephoning them does not work. That is their problem. They need a place such as a web site where we can go to find out where they stand on getting their final government papers.

3 days warning is unacceptable. It is not a scam, but if they are successful it will be an unforgettable adventure. I am sure this is why most of us signed up instead of a beer drinking, belly flopping Caribbean cruise.

Oregonskier

I just wrote them and asked for better communication and suggested that giving 3 days notice is bad business. I hope others will also email them.

Oregonskier

Please let us know if you ever hear back. Many posters have stated they cannot get responses from them!! Thanks!!

We booked in Feburay on Pearl Seas to go to Cuba in December 2016. As of this date they have had to cancel 6 cruises due to NO APPROVAL to travel to Cuba. When we discovered this, we called to cancel. They would NOT take cancellation over phone. Had to send certified letter. Funny, they booked us and took our deposit over the phone. After several calls and assurances that someone would call me back...they never did. However they refunded 1/2 of our deposit stating that the other 1/2 $850 was ADMINSTRATIVE FEES. I am posting to WARN anyone considering this company that they are in my opinion false advertising. They DO NOT have permission to travel and they kept 1/2 of our deposit which is shocking!! Which appears to me to be theft of my "good faith" deposit as it is not our fault they do not have permission to travel to Cuba. Please BEWARE, they not reputable.

I'm familiar with Pearl Seas and believe them to be a reputable company. They have been marketing cruises to Cuba subject to obtaining the appropriate government permissions to sail. Apparently, this is taking longer than anticipated. As your cruise is not until December 2016, you should have waited before cancelling. Since you cancelled and not the cruise line, you are being penalized $425/pp for the cancellation, half of your deposit. It's in the contract and it is not just for the Cuba cruise, but for all of their cruises. I don't believe there is any false advertising on their part. It's always wise to understand the terms & conditions of any deposits made on a cruise or other type of vacation.

I'm familiar with Pearl Seas and believe them to be a reputable company. They have been marketing cruises to Cuba subject to obtaining the appropriate government permissions to sail. Apparently, this is taking longer than anticipated. As your cruise is not until December 2016, you should have waited before cancelling. Since you cancelled and not the cruise line, you are being penalized $425/pp for the cancellation, half of your deposit. It's in the contract and it is not just for the Cuba cruise, but for all of their cruises. I don't believe there is any false advertising on their part. It's always wise to understand the terms & conditions of any deposits made on a cruise or other type of vacation.

Interesting comment...but please go to the Cuba Board and read Toticon's story about Pearl Seas Cuba. They booked on the April 5 cruise that was cancelled 4 days prior...they have NOT GOTTEN THEIR MONEY BACK, PERIOD!! They paid $17,000 in FULL!! This is a worse story than ours, cost them additionally a BUNCH of CANCELLATION FEES for air, hotel etc. HORRIBLE treatment and that is NOT REPUTABLE, THAT IS FRAUD AND THEFT OF THEIR MONEY. Check out their post. I feel very bad for them. IT IS DECEPTIVE ADVERTIZING AT BEST AND FRUADULANT AT WORST. BEWARE....

Edited by swells5502
Money amount

Interesting comment...but please go to the Cuba Board and read Toticon's story about Pearl Seas Cuba. They booked on the April 5 cruise that was cancelled 4 days prior...they have NOT GOTTEN THEIR MONEY BACK, PERIOD!! They paid $17,000 in FULL!! This is a worse story than ours, cost them additionally a BUNCH of CANCELLATION FEES for air, hotel etc. HORRIBLE treatment and that is NOT REPUTABLE, THAT IS FRAUD AND THEFT OF THEIR MONEY. Check out their post. I feel very bad for them. IT IS DECEPTIVE ADVERTIZING AT BEST AND FRUADULANT AT WORST. BEWARE....

I located the post you referred to. Again, when the cruise is marketed with the caveat that certain government permissions must be obtained, it should put one on notice that this could be a likely scenario. I don't believe this company is intentionally trying to defraud anyone. This is an instance (with the airlines, etc.) where having insurance would cover this. The poster doesn't mention whether their trip was covered by insurance. I see posts where cruises are cancelled due to charters, change of location, etc. and this is not unusual. Sometimes cruiselines provide compensation and sometimes they do not. The company did offer to reschedule them to a later date. They paid by check, so they would be reimbursed accordingly. They should probably consult an attorney if their fare is not refunded. It's likely in process. It's a civil matter. Nothing criminal here.

Have you contacted your credit card?

I located the post you referred to. Again, when the cruise is marketed with the caveat that certain government permissions must be obtained, it should put one on notice that this could be a likely scenario. I don't believe this company is intentionally trying to defraud anyone. This is an instance (with the airlines, etc.) where having insurance would cover this. The poster doesn't mention whether their trip was covered by insurance. I see posts where cruises are cancelled due to charters, change of location, etc. and this is not unusual. Sometimes cruiselines provide compensation and sometimes they do not. The company did offer to reschedule them to a later date. They paid by check, so they would be reimbursed accordingly. They should probably consult an attorney if their fare is not refunded. It's likely in process. It's a civil matter. Nothing criminal here.

I find your comment about contacting an attorney amazing since you continue to support this sham. If they are so reputable as your profess, then an attorney should not be necessary. They are "selling" a product they DO NOT POSSESS. After all this time and 6 cancelled cruises so far with MANY UPSET TRAVELERS, they should STOP THEIR FALSE ADVERTIZING. BEWARE, PEARL SEAS TO CUBA IS NOT APPROVED YET!!!!!