Grand Princess May 11th Alaska Review

bigpuma

We leave on this cruise June 10. Could someone who was on this voyage please tell us what nights were formal?

Was it first or second sea day going and first sea day (glacier day) or second day (before Victoria) returning?

We leave on this cruise June 10. Could someone who was on this voyage please tell us what nights were formal?

Was it first or second sea day going and first sea day (glacier day) or second day (before Victoria) returning?

Formal nights were the 2nd Sea Day and Victoria. We left Victoria around 2pm so it was a good night for it.

Edited by bigpuma

Day 6 Ketchikan:

Ketchikan was another full day for us. The weather turned bad and it was cold and raining pretty good most of the day. We scheduled the Wilderness Cruise and Crab Feed through Princess for the afternoon. In the morning we decided to head into the town and look around the shops and ended up at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center so we checked it out. After getting rained on pretty good we headed back on the ship for lunch and to get ready for our excursion. We also ended up changing clothes after getting soaked waiting to get back on the ship while getting rained on.

After a quick break on the ship to get dry we headed back out into the weather to find out bus. The excursion was quite simply excellent. We boarded our bus and headed about 30 minutes south to the George Inlet Lodge. When we arrived we were directed to our boat that was covered and protected. The only problem with the boat was that due to weather it was very difficult to see out. The boat took us on a short cruise where our tour guide explained what was around and a little history of Salmon fishing in Alaska. They had 2 TV screens where she showed pictures and a couple short videos. Then we headed to where they had placed some Dungeness crab pots and demonstrated how they pull in the pots and we got to see the dozen crabs that were caught. After each person took a picture holding a crab the tour guide released all of the crabs and re set the pot and we headed back to the lodge.

At the lodge we were treated to an all you can eat dungeness crab feast. The staff was really nice and they made sure we always had crabs on our plates. I had to tell them to stop after eating my weight in crab dipped in butter. Then it was back to the ship and on our way to Victoria. Once again we changed our wet clothes got ready for dinner then continued our tradition of eating well and hitting various bars/lounges for drinks.

Day 7 at Sea

Another lazy day at Sea where we slept in and hung out around the ship and participated in trivia and other lazy activities. That night we also had the Chef's Table so we made sure only to eat a late breakfast/early lunch and nothing else all day.

Chef's Table:

4 years ago when we cruised from Seattle to Alaska on Royal Caribbean we also did the Chef's table and really enjoyed it so we were looking forward to Princess' version. We all met on Deck 5 by the International Cafe and were guided to the Galley for a short tour and a series of incredible Hors D'oeuvres including questions and answers with the Head Chef. The Hors D'oeuvres included a fish/avacado ceviche with lobster, steak tartar and Foi Gras served in what I can only describe as Ice Cream Cone looking pastry, quiche, and caviar served on mashed potato and sour cream. My descriptions don't really do it justice but everything was just fantastic and looked amazing. After the series of Hors D'oeuvres, served with champagne of course, we headed down to the Michelangelo Dining Room where they had a section set up for us. Again the maitre'd Hotel, Head Chef, and other waiters took excellent care of us. We then had sea food risotto with langostino, and a trio of Veal Shank, Lobster tail, and london broil. Finally we had a wonderful dessert. I will add the menu later when I get a chance.

By the time dinner was over it was getting late and we decided to knock off early since we had scheduled an excursion the next morning.

Day 9 Victoria:

We were only in Victoria from 8:00 - 1:30 so we had a somewhat early excursion leaving at 9am for Butchardt and Butterfly gardens. My wife is a pretty good amateur photographer and I also own a camera so we were excited to get to the gardens and check them out. Last time we were in Victoria we didn't do the gardens and regretted it so this time we were on our way. Our driver was very nice and gave us a brief city tour as we headed to the gardens. We first went to the Butterfly garden and saw all of the amazing butterflies plus a couple of turtles and iguanas. After spending about 45 minutes there we headed to Butchardt. These gardens really are quite amazing. We only had 90 minutes but we managed to see every garden and get a lot of photos in that time but it required a pretty good pace. After exploring the gardens we got back on the bus and made it back to the ship around 1:15, just in time to get on board before we left to head back to San Francisco. The rest of our day was spent in our usual way of relaxing, having some drinks, and eating well in the dining room.

Day 10 At Sea:

This was our day of depression as we realized our cruise would soon end :( , but we managed to have fun and relax anyway. We spent the day eating in the dining room, trying our hand at trivia (badly), and enjoying that sip n sail promotion. :D, Eventually the day ended with us packing our bags and putting them out and getting one last drink in the bar before heading to bed and back to reality the next morning.

Disembarkation:

Not much to say here really other than everything went smooth for the most part. We woke up on the early side packed up our carry ons and headed to the dining room around 7:30a for breakfast. After breakfast we headed to the Explorers lounge for our color and number to be called. It was called a little ahead of schedule around 9:25am and we grabbed our stuff and headed off the ship. After a short wait in line we got through customs, found our bags, and headed to the pick up area where I left my wife with our ridiculous amount of luggage. Grabbed the car and headed back to pick her up. Other than some annoying individuals who don't seem to get the concept of a pick up area and loitered in there cars slowing me down, we got out of there by 10:30 and were headed home.

Overall:

The cruise was just amazing. We only had a minor hiccup with our Sip n Sail issue but that was all worked out in time. Everyone gave really good service including our state room attendant who took care of all of our needs throughout the cruise. We got to know a couple of the bartenders who also took good care of us.

Entertainment:

Not much caught our eye on the patter as far as entertainment. We did catch a couple of the comedians during the cruise, one was funny the other was just ok. We really did just enjoy a relaxing vacation either hanging out in a lounge, enjoying a drink, or sitting on our balcony looking for wildlife. We also tried to hit up the trivia sessions whenever possible as well.

Naturalist:

Another great feature on Princess, especially in Alaska, was their naturalist guide. We had Gloeta who gave talks on various Sea Days about Whales, Orcas, Bears, and Glaciers. We tried to attend her talks whenever we could although a couple times we missed them. They were always replayed on the TV in the stateroom so we could catch up on them then.

I will find a way to share our numerous photos from the trip and post them in the meantime if you have any questions I will do my best to answer.

ETA: oops I mis numbered my days starting with Ketchikan and it is too late to edit.

Edited by bigpuma

Thank you for this! We leave in a few days and are so excited! We would also love to see patters or menus if you have them. Also when were the formal nights? We were hoping to do the ultimate balcony dinner on the first formal night.

Can't wait to see the rest of your reviews!

Sorry I didn't keep any patters. I only have the menu for the Chef's table which I will try to post later.

"Naturalist:

Another great feature on Princess, especially in Alaska, was their naturalist guide. We had Gloeta who gave talks on various Sea Days about Whales, Orcas, Bears, and Glaciers. We tried to attend her talks whenever we could although a couple times we missed them. They were always replayed on the TV in the stateroom so we could catch up on them then. "

Can you please Explain what you mean by this???

I'm hoping its Not like our recent experience......

We just got off NCL Pearl Alaska cruise. They picked up a Ranger who

took over the ships PA system from 8am til Noon, during our Glacier Bay day.

He was on the overhead speakers every few mins, over 4 HOURS, with glacier History, and alot of Info.

It was WAAAAYYYY TOO MUCH Talking!

(In spite of the fact he sounded like Elmer Fudd)

We Hated it.

This CONSTANT Interuption over the WHOLE SHIPS SPEAKERS, was beyond Annoying. I lost count after 30 interrruptions......:mad:

They advertised Rangers in the Viewing area to ask questions, so WHY the necessity to have Elmer Fudd ruin our Quiet Glacier experience?

We went on Ncl Sun to Alaska last year, and they did NOT have a Ranger over the ships speakers. It was Much NICER. Quiet & Lovely, how the Glacier experience SHOULD be.

I didn't realize how Important this was to our Alaska trip.

That was a deal breaker to me, I would Not go to Alaska on Pearl again, with Elmer.... (I told Hotel Mgr about it, but it appeared to me it was His idea & he loved

it, so they will continue with Ranger-Rude as long as he's there.)

But We Won't be.

Let us know IF your Glacier day was Quiet? We want to be on the QUIET Glacier ships as long as we know!

Thanks.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

The Naturalist works for Princess and gives talks about the various animals and Glaciers on Sea Days in the Theatre. She also did commentary from the bridge that could be heard on deck, in the horizon buffet or on your stateroom TV channel 43. She only did this to point out wildlife coming in to Juneau, after we departed glacier bay (where we saw a bunch of whales), and leaving Victoria.

What you are referring to is the Park Rangers in Glacier Bay National Park. We also had them get on board early and one of them gave commentary as we were in the Bay. I don't know if our Ranger was just better at it but she kept her commentary limited, explaining the history of the Bay, which Glaciers we were seeing, and some info about them. She also was good about being quiet and letting people enjoy the scenery. Other than some of her commentary being a little cheesy I thought she did a real nice job giving info without talking too much.

Edited by bigpuma

So your Ranger didn't interrupt on the Ships loud speakers off & on, over the course of 4 hours? Didn't think so.

We heard others grumbling, and some people didn't know any better......

Hey, we luv the Captain, but don't want to hear Him over the loud speakers

30+ times either!

In the future, we hope to avoid ships that do this. When we sailed out of

Vancouver, they did Not have a Ranger.......It was sooooo much better.

In the future, we hope to avoid ships that do this. When we sailed out of

Vancouver, they did Not have a Ranger.......It was sooooo much better.

Did you go to Glacier Bay on that cruise? Rangers ALWAYS come on board ships in Glacier Bay. Whether your ranger is chatty and announces too much is up to chance, and no way you can know in advance.

Nice review! I wished now that we had booked this cruise instead of the Carnival Legend. We won't make that mistake again. We're thinking about booking another cruise this season to Alaska, we've got that disease called "cruise itch.":D

• 1 month later...