Emerald Princess - medical evacuation

cclarke12

My thoughts are with the poor crew member who had to be airlifted from the ship this evening. I wish them a speedy recovery.

I am deeply ashamed of some of my fellow passengers who clearly thought the captain's announcement of a medical emergency was just an addition to the evening's entertainment. My husband was walking through the pool deck as the helicopter arrived, to find crew members pleading with passengers to stop taking photos. Completely disrespectful behaviour from some fellow passengers. I hope they never find themselves in a situation where they are surrounded by people taking photos of them or a family member when they are on a critically ill condition.

They were taking pictures of the helicopter, so I'm not sure where your shame comes from. Did your husband not hear the captain's announcement asking passengers to stay away from the upper open deck?

Taking photos of the operation is not only rude but it can cause an accident if the pilot is blinded by a flash. Just saying.
As you say, it's not only rude but extremely dangerous to the helicopter pilot, patient, doctor, crew members, etc. Helicopter medevacs are never routine and are always risky.

My brother-in-law was not medevaced because a nighttime medevac was considered too risky. Who knows whether he might have lived if he could have been operated on sooner. Anyone who thinks this is "entertainment" or exciting needs to be made aware of the risks and damage they can do.

If you think it was ok to take pictures after you were told not to even go to the area. Shame on you. I totally agree with Pam.

Tony

Can you show me where there is any mention of being asked not to go to the area.

If you think it was ok to take pictures after you were told not to even go to the area. Shame on you. I totally agree with Pam.

Tony

Makes OP the ultimate hypocrite if they were told not to go to the area, but DH was wandering around there.

Then comes here to complain about what others were doing.

Does it not?

Why would you be "right there" if the captain asked all guests to stay off the upper decks? If you want to photograph the helicopter, go to an air show. Taking photos of the ill person is rude. Disregarding the captain's instructions is unsafe for everyone involved.

As long as as it was during daylight & the people weren't using a flash there's no harm in it.

I would be right along the people shooting photo's.

I agree.

Unless there was a request not too, which OP mentions no where.

Indeed if there was such an announcement OP IS A HYPOCRITE.

But plenty of those on CC.

Not sure how taking photos is disrespectful.

I agree, the media does it every day followed by the words "GRAPHIC PHOTOS" telling you to be careful looking when their ultimate goal is for you to look. It's human nature to stop and gawk at an accident - we've all done it, and holding up traffic while we rubber neck!

On our Carnival Legend cruise, at 3:00 AM in the morning a medical alert went out to all cabins BLASTING for medical personnel to get to the infirmary stat. Was that necessary for the whole ship to hear that and get woke up?

Edited by elliair

Anyone who thinks this is "entertainment" or exciting needs to be made aware of the risks and damage they can do.

Totally agree. I'm having a lot of trouble with those here trying to justify taking pictures of a medical evacuation. Do you REALLY need an official announcement telling you to stay out of the way? The last thing the crew should be worrying about is shooing away gawkers.

Totally agree. I'm having a lot of trouble with those here trying to justify taking pictures of a medical evacuation. Do you REALLY need an official announcement telling you to stay out of the way? The last thing the crew should be worrying about is shooing away gawkers.
There was a LA car chase a couple of days ago and the suspect ran out of gas on the 405. CHIP not only closed the southbound lanes where they were stopped but didn't approach the stolen car until the northbound lanes were secure with no one in the area. There's a huge difference between people slowing to gawk at a traffic incident and when they're putting themselves and others at risk. HUGE.

On another line, we saw a lady collapse in the atrium. We were eating with a large window between the dining area and the atrium. Within minutes, crew members had lined up forming a "human fence" to protect the patient and medical personnel from gawkers. Obviously this had been planned and practiced, but it was nice to know that the line considered the passenger's privacy to be important.

On another line' date=' we saw a lady collapse in the atrium. We were eating with a large window between the dining area and the atrium. Within minutes, crew members had lined up forming a "human fence" to protect the patient and medical personnel from gawkers. Obviously this had been planned and practiced, but it was nice to know that the line considered the passenger's privacy to be important.[/quote']

That is what Disneyland does. You don't even realize what they are doing they are so good at it. You notice a cast member, then another and then another. You start to think that they are having a personal conversation and it is a little odd as another joins. You don't even realize until later that they were surrounding a person or backpack or whatever until after you leave and think back on it. The incidence is shielded and no one knows. That how it should be.

Why would you be "right there" if the captain asked all guests to stay off the upper decks? If you want to photograph the helicopter' date=' go to an air show. Taking photos of the ill person is rude. Disregarding the captain's instructions is unsafe for everyone involved.[/quote']

Not so much as taking pictures of the individual but of the helicopter. As long as the upper decks weren't cleared of everyone there's no harm. (providing you don't use the flash)

Can you show me where there is any mention of being asked not to go to the area.

I have been on three cruise ships that have had helicopter evacuations. While I cannot say for sure about this one, I can say that in all three cases announcements were made for passengers to stay away from all open decks.

Rarely am I motivated to post on a forum but I simply cannot help myself in response to those individuals who find it even remotely defensible on every level for anyone to take pictures of a medical evacuation such as the one described. What possible reason would anyone have other than to demonstrate a total absence of basic manners or common courtesy? Totally classless, devoid of the most basic manners and yet there are some posters on here who are attempting to defend their actions. I totally despair of such people. If you do not understand what makes it wrong, I suggest you go away and take a long hard look at yourself! I apologise for the rant but sincerely hope that those who consider it indeed acceptable behaviour, never to find themselves in the same position as this poor crew member.

Rarely am I motivated to post on a forum but I simply cannot help myself in response to those individuals who find it even remotely defensible on every level for anyone to take pictures of a medical evacuation such as the one described. What possible reason would anyone have other than to demonstrate a total absence of basic manners or common courtesy? Totally classless, devoid of the most basic manners and yet there are some posters on here who are attempting to defend their actions. I totally despair of such people. If you do not understand what makes it wrong, I suggest you go away and take a long hard look at yourself! I apologise for the rant but sincerely hope that those who consider it indeed acceptable behaviour, never to find themselves in the same position as this poor crew member.

Well said.

Rarely am I motivated to post on a forum but I simply cannot help myself in response to those individuals who find it even remotely defensible on every level for anyone to take pictures of a medical evacuation such as the one described.

I really don't feel strongly about this one way or the other. But suppose there had been an accident on the highway that required a LifeStar helicopter evacuation, and the accident was so bad that it stopped all traffic on the highway. Now suppose that stuck in that traffic jam was a news van from your local TV news station. Do you think for one minute that the news crew wouldn't strap on their gear and film the entire event? And do you think for one minute that the footage wouldn't air on the 6:00 news? Why does moving the incident to a cruise ship change the equation? Every day on the news we see footage of the misfortune of others. Car accidents. Bombings. Fires. Floods. Shootings. And every day, these same news stations beseech us to use our phones to film or photo news events and send them in to the station. And we think nothing of it. But for some reason, this incident on a cruise ship causes outright indignation.

Again, I am rather neutral on this, and wouldn't think to photograph the incident. I would have zero interest in doing so. When would I ever have occasion to sit down and go through my scrapbook looking at those photos? But my primary reason for not taking photos would be my lack of interest in doing so. It wouldn't be because I thought it was morally reprehensible. Imagine watching the 6:00 news where the lead story is a car crash on the highway complete with footage of a person being loaded into a LifeStar helicopter, and then you turn to your spouse and say: "Can you believe the nerve of those people back in June who were taking pictures of an evac on the Emerald?" Doesn't that reek of hypocrisy and incongruence?

Edited by JimmyVWine