Norse Legends Cruise - Anything else to do besides Fjords?

ALW2

We are possibly booking a cruise aboard the new Kronigsdam on the Norse Legends itinerary. I am looking for things to do in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geranger and Bergen that have something to do with Norse Mythology or something other than looking at the Fjords. Any suggestions?

We are possibly booking a cruise aboard the new Kronigsdam on the Norse Legends itinerary. I am looking for things to do in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geranger and Bergen that have something to do with Norse Mythology or something other than looking at the Fjords. Any suggestions?

Some research on the Northern European board would be beneficial.

We did this cruise May 7-14 of this year on the Rotterdam. Our tour was cancelled in Eidfjord...cider tasting in Ulvik, and the troll roads were closed because of snow. We walked around the area on our own and it was delightful, with fantastic views. I Alesund I took the walking tour, which was good. In the afternoon we too the tour to Giske and Godoy and the guide talked about the early Norse settlers. The tour was disappointing in that we couldn't even get off the bus for a closer look at the ancient church, I would pick something else. Gieranger we went to the Herdal Mountain Goat Farm...fantastic views. Unfortunately no one really talked about Norse Mythology other than trolls and the Fanthof Stave church Bergen. Sorry I cant help more. The scenery was legendary!

Karen

If you go to the Ports > Europe > Northern Europe and Baltic Board, you can get lots of information.

One Cruise Critic member, I-Cruiser is especially helpful.

Lots of information at the thread (link) below:

Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1969271

We will be sailing on the brand new ms. Koningsdam in about 8 weeks.

Koningsdam • July 31, 2016 • 14-day Viking Sagas and Norse Legends

I started a roll call for our sailing, but unfortunately it hasn't been very active.

I found this wonderful review with spectacular photos taken by another Cruise Critic member, Miaminice.

They have a travel website that is really well done.

Here is the link:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/trave...ay/norway.html

Here are some links to some short videos I enjoyed looking at:

Rick Steves short video (5 minutes) on Bergen:

Oslo:

Hope that is helpful. Enjoy doing some research.

Alesund is beautiful - a lot of Art Deco and everything within a walking distance from port.

Bergen - the old Bryggen-district nearby the port is a wonderful historic quarter, the old town itself ist beautiful - and you are able to do a lot of shopping (maybe it is a little bit expensive, Norway is really expensive, and traditional crafts are pricy).

At Hellesylt you are able to visit the glacier Jostedalsbreen (one of the largest)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jostedal_Glacier

At Geiranger the surrounding is beautiful, waterfalls, mount Dalsnibba. The village itself is small but pretty.

From Hardanger most guest visit the Hardangervidda - a national park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardangervidda

I am sure, no need to tell you something about Amsterdam...

Wendy

If you look at these photos from the Voyage of the Vikings last year, they show Geiranger, then Alesund, then Bergen...all of which are easy walking ports...no need to take anything other than perhaps the hop on hop off choo choo. In Bergen, you walk a few blocks to their fish market that is more than that (great shopping here for sweaters)...in Alesund you can walk up or take a shuttle to the top where you look down on the town...They are all wonderful, different places you will thoroughly enjoy. We've visited them all several times, and going back for more next year!

Geiranger, Norway

If you look at these photos from the Voyage of the Vikings last year, they show Geiranger, then Alesund, then Bergen...all of which are easy walking ports...no need to take anything other than perhaps the hop on hop off choo choo. In Bergen, you walk a few blocks to their fish market that is more than that (great shopping here for sweaters)...in Alesund you can walk up or take a shuttle to the top where you look down on the town...They are all wonderful, different places you will thoroughly enjoy. We've visited them all several times, and going back for more next year!

Geiranger, Norway

Wow!! Thanks for sharing the link to your photos. They are fantastic!

Always grateful for CC members who share good information. So helpful for those of us who are doing research.

We did this cruise in 2014 and I live-blogged it. We did no real excursions and improvised each day and had a magical time.

You can read my report here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095784

Just read your fabulous report that has amazing photos! Well done.

We are counting down the days until we board the new ms. Koningsdam for our Norwegian fjords cruise.

Thanks for all of the great information!