Fare Sale on SW

robin13

Just wanted everyone to know that SW is having a fare sale and American is also matching. Originally going to drive to Galveston from Dallas but since it is only $96 to fly RT to IAH we are going to do that instead. There are some restrictions but since our cruise is a Saturday - Saturday it worked fine for us. This will also save us $$ as now no hotel stay since we will be flying in on the day of the cruise. I have never done that before so I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be no problems.

Can you elaborate on this? I've never heard of airlines price matching. Thanks!

They aren't "price matching" in the sense I think you are talking about. Sometime when an airline opens a new route, or has a sale, other airlines will lower their fares (usually temporarily), to not lose business to the other carrier.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/72-hour-sale-southwest-fares-fall-below-100-round-trip-with-a-catch.html

Edited by 6rugrats

They aren't "price matching" in the sense I think you are talking about. Sometime when an airline opens a new route, or has a sale, other airlines will lower their fares (usually temporarily), to not lose business to the other carrier.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/72-hour-sale-southwest-fares-fall-below-100-round-trip-with-a-catch.html

Gotcha. I appreciate the clarification.

DL still trumps WN for the flights I'm looking for next month. Even if luggage was factored in (not in my case because 1)I carryon and 2) I get my bag free on DL anyway), DL is still less expensive AND has better choice of flights. WN is not the be-all, end-all, for everyone...

How much are you really saving once you add in the cost of getting from IAH to the island?

You have to understand that I hate driving even if it is just 4 hours. So for me to spend $96 for the flight and then another $65 for the RT transportation is well worth it. And now I won't have to spend money on parking at the pier so I am very happy.

DL still trumps WN for the flights I'm looking for next month. Even if luggage was factored in (not in my case because 1)I carryon and 2) I get my bag free on DL anyway), DL is still less expensive AND has better choice of flights. WN is not the be-all, end-all, for everyone...

Agreed. I have been using them because I am on strike from AA and my most common route is MCO>RDU and WN has a non-stop at convenient times. It is almost always the least expensive as a bonus.

Edited by ducklite