P&O Suites

BarneyCat

thanks for the reply we were in a suite this janurary on britannia and the butler was new to the roll i asked him for breakfast in the room and was tod we could only have what was on the room service so only cold food i wanted a full englash he said it could not be done when we had a suite on venture we had full englash so i knew i could i thik it is hit and miss what you get depends on what butler you get

thanks for the reply we were in a suite this janurary on britannia and the butler was new to the roll i asked him for breakfast in the room and was tod we could only have what was on the room service so only cold food i wanted a full englash he said it could not be done when we had a suite on venture we had full englash so i knew i could i thik it is hit and miss what you get depends on what butler you get

That Butler would not last long with us as we have have a full breakfast in every suite we have been in. In fact most butlers ask us during the first meeting as we board.

However you can get breakfast in speciality restaurants on all the ships now. Although I am not sure how that would work on Oceana.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have to say I'm not impressed with the early embarkation buffet lunch at all these days, there are king prawns available, but sadly tasteless. This lunch is mostly made up of toasted sandwiches with a smidgen of filling plus a few other bits and bobs, certainly nothing to get excited about and, the choice is pretty limited. Yes, you can have a couple of glasses of wine but it's the cheap stuff as is the Italian sparkly. Personally the OH & I are happy to enjoy early embarkation, check out the suite and then pop along to the buffet which has not a passenger in sight, grab a tray, select a few freshly prepared items of our choice and then slip along to the suite and enjoy the meal along with the complimentary champagne which is waiting in the bucket. We love P&O and travel a lot with them but the embarkation lunch is not their best offering I'm afraid. Could do better.

Bal

Interesting........I'd given up on the buffet because it's too much of a scrum and about the most unpleasant start to a holiday that I can imagine.

I take it, then, that if you get there reasonably early it's not like that? Your approach sounds excellent - how soon are the suites ready, then? I've always waited for them to announce that the cabins are ready - but presumably that's not necessary?

I normally hate the buffets and steer well clear, but on the occasions when we had a very early boarding we went along and it was totally different and actually very pleasant.

Edited by Scriv

In my experience the suites are ready for occupation as soon as you embark, 12. 45/1.00. Baggage is often there so it allows you to unpack a little and then wander down to the buffet which opens at 1.30. As I said, the scrum has not boarded yet so you are first with a tray.

Regarding butlers, if you are new to the suite service some, even the 'old' hands, will try to fob you off with going the room service route which reduces the burden on them. Recently the Ventura and I also believe the Azura, have reduced the number of butlers from 3 to 2 and it shows! especially when there used to be 5 on each ship. A suggestion if you feel you are being fobbed off is to as to see the Housekeeping Manager at reception as he is the butlers boss.

Dia is right about giving the butler notice of a party, they will also arrange invitations and deliver same.

Bal

Just to add that Oceana is one of the ships where there is no speciality restaurant where suite guests can have breakfast - the only speciality restaurants are Cafe Jardin where everyone can have breakfast in the morning and what they now call The Beach House - the old Horizon Grill - which is only used in the evening and is part of the Buffet anyway. When we were in a suite on Oceana we either had breakfast on the balcony or went to Cafe Jardin as we like what is on offer there. There are only 6 suites on Oceana.

Just to add that Oceana is one of the ships where there is no speciality restaurant where suite guests can have breakfast - the only speciality restaurants are Cafe Jardin where everyone can have breakfast in the morning and what they now call The Beach House - the old Horizon Grill - which is only used in the evening and is part of the Buffet anyway. When we were in a suite on Oceana we either had breakfast on the balcony or went to Cafe Jardin as we like what is on offer there. There are only 6 suites on Oceana.

I noticed that they do say that there is a section of the MDR on Oceana for suite passengers. Not quite sure how that would work.

The information is in the FAQ on the P&O site.

Interesting - though for me the ability to produce half-decent coffee with the pod machine included is also a small bonus!

There's also, as I recall, a reasonably decent buffet lunch to be had on P&O on embarkation day for suite passengers (and no, I don't mean the scrum that is the main buffet!) - presumably that's still going?

I've forgotten, how early can you board on day 1? And is that standard for all suite passengers, or does it vary according to P&O status?

Ligurian status, Suite and mini - suite passenger "check in" is officially from 12.30 but i think they start checking such passengers in from about midday. We turned up at 12.15 two weeks ago, were checked in straight away, taken to a separate area in the terminal and offered tea/coffee & biscuits while we waited to board. Boarding started at 12.45.

The embarkation lunch was very good. A wide choice of hot and cold finger food, including rolls, sandwiches, mini pasties, prawns and more, desserts and pastries, and, it seemed as much fizz, wine, or fruit juice as you could drink! A nice relaxing start.

Couldn't agree more about the coffee machine! Unless you use the Nescafe sachets (or pay extra for Costa, which I also don't particularly enjoy) the general coffee served on both P & O and Cunard is universally awful!

Some people prefer not to use the butler, it's up to you. Just to say though that if you choose not to have the butler then you can't order things from the main dining room menu - breakfast, lunch or dinner - to be served in your suite. This is what our last butler told us. The butlers really like to be used and to help you have as enjoyable cruise as possible. It is also really interesting talking to them, they are a fount of knowledge about P&O.

Dare I say if you've cruised in a suite on Celebrity or Cunard (my only experience except for P&O thus far) or I suspect most other lines, you will be very disappointed with P&O. We left P&O a few years ago as we felt we got less and less for paying the extra to be in a suite and I'm afraid we would never return having discovered the grass is definitely greener on the other side.

QUOTE]

Cannot agree, we cruise with Celebrity in suites and whilst their perks are better and have ramped up significantly in the last 3-4 years (particularly Micheals Club), we preferred the Britannia Suite we had last year to the Celeb Suite we normally have on S class. (only pain was the narrowness of the balcony). As for the food, the MDR on P&O is obviously not a patch on Luminae however given the substantial price difference and the much cheaper drinks on P&O you could afford to eat every night in Epicurean which is!

Have not cruised Cunard but their prices are significantly higher as well so pound for pound, and if you manage your experiences, it may not be better either.

We were in a suite on the Oceana in February, and a section of the Ligurian restaurant was made available for suite passengers to have breakfast.

This is what you get.

A Butler,

Champagne and chocs on arrival

Fruit basket

Dressing gown and slippers,

Early embarkation and disembarkation

Priority tender embarkation

Breakfast in a speciality restaurant on all ships

Full English breakfast in the cabin

Any meal off the menu in your cabin.

I am sure there are more. :). But none of those listed above on other lines.

My first post on here.:)

Unfortunately you no longer get priority disembarkation. You have to either do self-disembarkation, or choose a time like everyone else (we have written to P&O about this).

You do get the earliest embarkation time of 12:30pm.

Arcadia does not have a restaurant where you can go to have breakfast so you have to have it in your Suite (obviously not too much of a hardship!).:)

Agree with other 'posters' that P&O need to address the perks that Suite guests get considering how much they cost.

My first post on here.:)

Unfortunately you no longer get priority disembarkation. You have to either do self-disembarkation, or choose a time like everyone else (we have written to P&O about this).

You do get the earliest embarkation time of 12:30pm.

Arcadia does not have a restaurant where you can go to have breakfast so you have to have it in your Suite (obviously not too much of a hardship!).:)

Agree with other 'posters' that P&O need to address the perks that Suite guests get considering how much they cost.

We got priority disembarkation at 8.30am on Arcadia a few weeks ago. You could choose later time though if you wanted.

And now on Arcadia they reserve Ocean Grill for breakfast for Suite passengers. We went there everyday and it was a lovely experience.

Eddie

We got priority disembarkation at 8.30am on Arcadia a few weeks ago. You could choose later time though if you wanted.

And now on Arcadia they reserve Ocean Grill for breakfast for Suite passengers. We went there everyday and it was a lovely experience.

Eddie

Did you have to go to a designated area at 8:30, or did you get straight off?

That's fantastic news about the breakfast arrangements. Arcadia is my favourite ship, but my husband didn't like the fact there was no option but the cabin for breakfast.

He's really pleased now! :)

Did you have to go to a designated area at 8:30, or did you get straight off?

That's fantastic news about the breakfast arrangements. Arcadia is my favourite ship, but my husband didn't like the fact there was no option but the cabin for breakfast.

He's really pleased now! :)

We were given a designated meeting point of The Globe on Deck 2. As it's a silent disembarkation they do not make announcements throughout the ship, only at the meeting point.

As for breakfast I think they started using Ocean Grill last November. The menu had some nice options. The Kedgeree was to die for! It was a nice start to the day and the crew looked after us very well. It has the same opening hours as the MDR does.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Eddie

We were given a designated meeting point of The Globe on Deck 2. As it's a silent disembarkation they do not make announcements throughout the ship, only at the meeting point.

As for breakfast I think they started using Ocean Grill last November. The menu had some nice options. The Kedgeree was to die for! It was a nice start to the day and the crew looked after us very well. It has the same opening hours as the MDR does.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Eddie

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be letting Suite guests off whenever they want as they have done for many years. One of the joys of having a Suite was being able to have breakfast and then come back, grab your hand luggage, and get off immediately they said priority passengers could disembark, which was normally around 8:30. You never had to choose a time, or go anywhere but your cabin. Apparently this new system came in with Britannia last year. We were on her in September, which was where we first encountered it. A great shame. We now self-disembark, which does restrict how much luggage you can take.

The kedgeree is stunning isn't it! On Oceana in March they also got me more of a fried breakfast as well, even though it was not on the menu.

They must have started using Ocean Grill between November and August as we got off Arcadia at the end of July and they weren't using it then.

We are on Britannia again in a week and looking forward to the Epicurean for breakfast!:)

That's interesting - a new departure. What was the menu like - was it different from just the ordinary MDR menu?

I haven’t had breakfast in the MDR for a number of years as I normally eat in the cabin. The food in the ‘suite’ area was probably a similar menu to the MDR. The difference was that it was freshly cooked. Even the toast was proper toast. It was far superior to anything I’ve had brought for me by the butler.

We were in a Suite on Oceana in March and ate breakfast every morning in the part of the MDR put aside for Suite guests.

It is situated to the right hand side in the back corner - a very secluded spot - and was lovely.

The menu is totally different to the usual menu, and, yes, everything is freshly cooked to order - which is why the Kedgeree takes quite a long time to come!

They even cooked some fried for me (baked beans, mushrooms, tomato and hash browns) even though it was not listed on the menu.

If you wish to have anything that is on the usual MDR menu you just have to ask, but the menu specifically for Suite guests is totally different, and only available to them.:)

I haven’t had breakfast in the MDR for a number of years as I normally eat in the cabin. The food in the ‘suite’ area was probably a similar menu to the MDR. The difference was that it was freshly cooked. Even the toast was proper toast. It was far superior to anything I’ve had brought for me by the butler.

Good point. It's all well and good taking breakfast in your suite, but it does suffer as a result of the inevitable delay in getting it to you (depending of course on what you order).

For me, breakfast in The Epicurean (Azura and Ventura) is one of the key reasons for having a suite. It's a civilised breakfast, in civilised surroundings, with (normally) civilised people. Freshly cooked and served, too - which the butler can never, quite understandably, achieve.

Eddie

Thanks for this update. I am cruising on Arcadia this year. Do these perks apply to mini-suite passengers also?

I have read mixed reviews about priority embarkation lunch. I would be interested to read your view following a recent cruise.

Thanks.

Regarding butlers, if you are new to the suite service some, even the 'old' hands, will try to fob you off with going the room service route which reduces the burden on them. Recently the Ventura and I also believe the Azura, have reduced the number of butlers from 3 to 2 and it shows! especially when there used to be 5 on each ship.

Has anyone else found that the reduction in the number of butlers, down from originally 5 and now to only 2 affecting the service. We found on Ventura that the butler service was stretched to the limit at peak times.

Bal

Regarding butlers, if you are new to the suite service some, even the 'old' hands, will try to fob you off with going the room service route which reduces the burden on them. Recently the Ventura and I also believe the Azura, have reduced the number of butlers from 3 to 2 and it shows! especially when there used to be 5 on each ship.

Has anyone else found that the reduction in the number of butlers, down from originally 5 and now to only 2 affecting the service. We found on Ventura that the butler service was stretched to the limit at peak times.

Bal

Indeed the Butlers seem to be the most stressed and over-worked crew members I have seen. I know P&O have said they are reviewing suite benefits, maybe with all ships offering an alternative breakfast venue they will phase out the Butler role and move to the same model operated on Princess. I have to say, I personally preferred the Princess approach where everything just seemed to happen without any stress. There was still the option to order from an extended menu via room service, next day menus, priority disembarkation etc. just appeared in the cabin, with no fuss or lengthy discussions. Don't get me wrong the Butlers are lovely and want to make your holiday special, I realise they are optional but sometimes they transfer their stress to me and it feels like hard work. I would rather have other benefits such as a free speciality meal, free laundry, free thermal suite etc. Of course this is just my personal opinion and others will disagree because we are all different. [emoji4]

Indeed the Butlers seem to be the most stressed and over-worked crew members I have seen. I know P&O have said they are reviewing suite benefits, maybe with all ships offering an alternative breakfast venue they will phase out the Butler role and move to the same model operated on Princess. I have to say, I personally preferred the Princess approach where everything just seemed to happen without any stress. There was still the option to order from an extended menu via room service, next day menus, priority disembarkation etc. just appeared in the cabin, with no fuss or lengthy discussions. Don't get me wrong the Butlers are lovely and want to make your holiday special, I realise they are optional but sometimes they transfer their stress to me and it feels like hard work. I would rather have other benefits such as a free speciality meal, free laundry, free thermal suite etc. Of course this is just my personal opinion and others will disagree because we are all different. [emoji4]

Ours seems quite laid back at the moment an everything appears when required.

:cool:

Party or two to be organised as well.

Happy Days

Dai