Children at Chef's Table?

Like always, it depends on the parents. We had two screaming, rowdy kids at the table and the idiot parents just sat there doing nothing.

We had the same issue a few months back. The parents didn't give a damm that their precious children were banging the plates with silverware, shouting and just being obnoxious.

Did this happen at the Chef's Table Wine Pairing dinner? (The one that costs $85 per person?)

Judy

We have booked Chef's Table on Oasis this August. When I saw this thread, I thought surely there would be rules.

I pulled up the cruise planner and could not believe what it actually says:

Kids 5 and under eat for free.

Kids 6-12 years old eat for less. Ask about our kids specialty dining prices onboard.

Read further. There is an exception for Wonderland, Chef's Table, and

150 Park Ave that explains there are no children's menus

since they "don't recommend children under 13"....but does not say they

won't let them in. Though Serenade had that restriction in place (older

crowd, longer cruise).

Edited by island lady

Chiefs Table (CT) is often not full. My brother, who is a frequent cruiser on Majesty, told me they often offer a discount to fill the seats, but only on-board. I tried but didn't get one. We thought about going a second night but the food and wine are the same. On our Majesty cruise, which was a Holiday weekend, the table seats 12,only 6 on Friday, full on Saturday, 10 on Sunday.

If you never tried it, it is sure worth it to us... food was awesome and you get to personally meet the staff.

We have booked Chef's Table on Oasis this August. When I saw this thread, I thought surely there would be rules.

I pulled up the cruise planner and could not believe what it actually says:

Kids 5 and under eat for free.

Kids 6-12 years old eat for less. Ask about our kids specialty dining prices onboard.

That is for the regular specialty restaurants.

Not Chef's Table, 150 Park Ave, or Wonderland.

Though I have seen restrictions to children's age limits at times of the evening

in Chops on some ships.

That is for the regular specialty restaurants.

Not Chef's Table, 150 Park Ave, or Wonderland.

Though I have seen restrictions to children's age limits at times of the evening

in Chops on some ships.

It is from Chef's Table, if you have an active reservation, open the planner and scroll down to what they call 'Insider Tips'. It says it right there, along with telling you to enjoy the 2-3 hour sitting.

So as I type this I am getting ready for the barrage of negative comments back.

We are going on our 1st RCC in Aug and we booked this. We are bringing our 8 year old (whom our Genie has already asked what menu items and milk/juice flight she might like for her dinner) My daughter is 8 and has better table manners then some adults.

If she is not sitting between my husband and I, she will turn to introduce herself to the stranger next to her with a hand shake, will ask questions like "where are you traveling from?" "are you enjoying your vacation?" I have often hear her talking about football and her predictions for the upcoming super bowl, or about her favorite baseball player Honas Wagner from 1920. Or talking about the charity she owns and helps manage.

She does this all while having her napkin on her lap, waiting for others to get their food before eating, and knowing what fork to use for salad.

We have done dinners like this in Seattle where we live (only about 3x the price) and she even asks questions that has everyone thanking her for asking (like the chefs background, his or her favorite thing to cook and eat etc) In fact, last weekend we were at a charity event for $500 a plate. She was there, working the crowd and got her photo taken by/with some pretty well known people. She is a kid who has managed to "make friends" with some of the worlds greatest actors and athletes all because she is great with people, respectful, funny and knows how to behave in what we call "fancy engagements"

Now, let me say this: If my child was EVER to act up in a restaurant, we would leave. Actually, it would not even get to that point. We all know our kids. We know the onset of what in a few more moments will be a louder then appropriate voice or even temper tantrum. I would have my kid out of any public establish LONG before it got to that point. this includes any store or restaurant. I go on vacation to RELAX, and not hear screaming kids. I know others are the same. However, I go to spend time with my child, not away from her. So this means she comes with us. This also means she has been exposed to A LOT, and knows how to behave. She knows when to tell a great butt joke, and when to talk about other things.

And no, my child is not an angel. Yes she gets in trouble. However, not knowing how to behave in public is not something we have ever had to worry about. Ever.

So yes, she will be coming with us.

It is from Chef's Table, if you have an active reservation, open the planner and scroll down to what they call 'Insider Tips'. It says it right there, along with telling you to enjoy the 2-3 hour sitting.

My observations were from past cruises on various ships, though each ship does

seem to do things differently. Mostly I think it is demographics of each sailing.

Check the actual cruise compass on your cruise. Also:

From the RCI website Q&A:

"Questions, Cruise FAQ - Royal Caribbean International Q: Does every specialty restaurant have a kids menu? A: No. Of our reservable specialty restaurants, Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, 150 Central Park, and Chef's Table do not have kids menus as those experiences are better suited for guests age 13 and older. Search FAQs

Edited by island lady

When Royal Caribbean first offered the Chef's Table experience, they absolutely said "for 21 and over."

But time and money have chipped away at that. Now any age is "welcome" in any restaurant, with reduced charges. No age restriction, no time restriction.

If the bookings had been filled every time with adults over 21, they wouldn't have started opening up to people who want to bring their children.

They are so &%$^# afraid that Mumsy and Dada won't book unless they can bring their special little snowflakes.

I know of people who have gone to the Chef's Table, discovered that there are children seated there, left and gotten a refund.

Children are fine. But it is absurd to think that children should be everywhere and anywhere.

I can't go into Adventure Ocean. (just try and see how fast they throw your butt out!)

There are no longer ANY places on the ship that bar children. NONE.

From the RCI website Q&A:

"Questions, Cruise FAQ - Royal Caribbean International Q: Does every specialty restaurant have a kids menu? A: No. Of our reservable specialty restaurants, Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, 150 Central Park, and Chef's Table do not have kids menus as those experiences are better suited for guests age 13 and older. Search FAQs

Nothing like conflicting information from RCI!

We are going on our 1st RCC in Aug and we booked this. We are bringing our 8 year old (whom our Genie has already asked what menu items and milk/juice flight she might like for her dinner) My daughter is 8 and has better table manners then some adults.

If she is not sitting between my husband and I, she will turn to introduce herself to the stranger next to her with a hand shake, will ask questions like "where are you traveling from?" "are you enjoying your vacation?" I have often hear her talking about football and her predictions for the upcoming super bowl, or about her favorite baseball player Honas Wagner from 1920. Or talking about the charity she owns and helps manage.

She does this all while having her napkin on her lap, waiting for others to get their food before eating, and knowing what fork to use for salad.

We have done dinners like this in Seattle where we live (only about 3x the price) and she even asks questions that has everyone thanking her for asking (like the chefs background, his or her favorite thing to cook and eat etc) In fact, last weekend we were at a charity event for $500 a plate. She was there, working the crowd and got her photo taken by/with some pretty well known people. She is a kid who has managed to "make friends" with some of the worlds greatest actors and athletes all because she is great with people, respectful, funny and knows how to behave in what we call "fancy engagements"

Now, let me say this: If my child was EVER to act up in a restaurant, we would leave. Actually, it would not even get to that point. We all know our kids. We know the onset of what in a few more moments will be a louder then appropriate voice or even temper tantrum. I would have my kid out of any public establish LONG before it got to that point. this includes any store or restaurant. I go on vacation to RELAX, and not hear screaming kids. I know others are the same. However, I go to spend time with my child, not away from her. So this means she comes with us. This also means she has been exposed to A LOT, and knows how to behave. She knows when to tell a great butt joke, and when to talk about other things.

And no, my child is not an angel. Yes she gets in trouble. However, not knowing how to behave in public is not something we have ever had to worry about. Ever.

I commend you for raising your child well. If we ever happen to be at the Chef's Table with her, I'd like to sit nearby! From your description of her, I think she would make a far better dinner companion than the blowsy and noisy Rotarian I sat across from at my last Chef's Dinner.

The mention of "children" (at least on Cruise Critic) seems to conjure up, more often than not, images of wild things that disturb other people but your eloquent post reiterates the fact that it ain't necessarily true. ;)

RCL website says 21+ for Chef's Table, which seems reasonable considering the wine pairing. If someone that happens I'd complain and see about getting my money back or going a different night. Don't mind well-behaved kids are places like that at all. Appreciate it actually.

When Royal Caribbean first offered the Chef's Table experience, they absolutely said "for 21 and over."

But time and money have chipped away at that. Now any age is "welcome" in any restaurant, with reduced charges. No age restriction, no time restriction.

If the bookings had been filled every time with adults over 21, they wouldn't have started opening up to people who want to bring their children.

They are so &%$^# afraid that Mumsy and Dada won't book unless they can bring their special little snowflakes.

I know of people who have gone to the Chef's Table, discovered that there are children seated there, left and gotten a refund.

Children are fine. But it is absurd to think that children should be everywhere and anywhere.

I can't go into Adventure Ocean. (just try and see how fast they throw your butt out!)

Very well said Merion Mom...totally concur!

I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

That's all well and good but I would add that no matter how well behaved your child is, I still don't want to have dinner with kids or have to converse with them, especially at a high priced event that is designed to feel sophisticated and elegant, and more special than most other dining venues. It's hard enough to find adult only spaces on cruise ship, they often cost extra and/or are hard to secure. Most everything seems to cater to kids on these ships, so can't we adults just have this one thing to ourselves???

That's all well and good but I would add that no matter how well behaved your child is, I still don't want to have dinner with kids or have to converse with them, especially at a high priced event that is designed to feel sophisticated and elegant, and more special than most other dining venues. It's hard enough to find adult only spaces on cruise ship, they often cost extra and/or are hard to secure. Most everything seems to cater to kids on these ships, so can't we adults just have this one thing to ourselves???

Agree...and the same goes for the DL during happy hour. A bar/lounge on shore will state

"over 21" during the alcohol times. And Chef's table is a "wine pairing"....and boy does

that wine flow!! :eek: ;)

Not a great place to take children for sure. While I also appreciate very well behaved

children, there are simply places that are not good choices to take them.

Ya lost me at "8 years old". It is not a matter of weather a kid knows not to bang on plates and what fork to use. It just changes the atmosphere of the whole event, and that is not fair to those who paid good money expecting a special evening of food, wine, and adult conversation. If you are constantly conscious of a youngster hearing the conversation, it will impact what you say. Even with a great kid, the attention focuses more on their presence than it should. It can radically changes the table dynamic.

I enjoy sitting at a regular MDR table with a well behaved kid, but the Chef's table is just a venue where it is not really appropriate, in my view, no matter how well behaved the child is. Still a child. To me its more a problem with the parents that put their kids in that position not understanding and respecting how a child's presence can adversely affect other's experience at such an event.

I agree that there are certain children, particularly mid to older teens who are better behaved and have much better manners than some adults whose aim on holiday is to do everything to excess and be damned to others enjoyment!

Personally, I feel there should be no areas excluded, particularly to older children, but there should be an expected behaviour code that needs to be adhered to, which would give RCI ( or any holiday provider) to eject any person behaving in any manner not conducive to that particular environment.

I know for a fact that my own two sons- both older but under 21- can behave appropriately when out in public- and yes they do go to high end restaurants with us normally!

The only reason I would not consider Chefs table is there is no way DH and I will pay for drink which they obviously cant ( and wouldnt want to) consume!

Hope you and your daughter have a lovely evening!

Then don't engage in conversation. I often don't engage with people I find to be rude, self rictuses or feel themselves better then others. Or even simply with people I don't have anything in common with.

And there are several places you can go without kids no? Isn't there some solarium (again, this is our 1st RCC cruise) or bar kids can't go to? Isn't the casino adults only? Or a pool deck?

If RCC said no kids (like DCL Palo) I wouldn't bring her. But they don't, so I will. And I am not sure why if they feel it is ok you feel it isn't? Why is brining a child all of a sudden "not sophisticated" I guarantee there will be people sitting next to you FAR less sophisticated then my child.

It just bothers me when people make comments like this. If you don't want to be around kids, go to an adults only resort, but don't make comments that people shouldn't bring kids to venues that say they can attend. I would like cruises to not allow rude, pushy, tacky and uneducated people but I don't post comments that cruises should enforce that.

Edited by terkov

Ya lost me at "8 years old". It is not a matter of weather a kid knows not to bang on plates and what fork to use. It just changes the atmosphere of the whole event, and that is not fair to those who paid good money expecting a special evening of food, wine, and adult conversation. If you are constantly conscious of a youngster hearing the conversation, it will impact what you say. Even with a great kid, the attention focuses more on their presence than it should. It can radically changes the table dynamic.

I enjoy sitting at a regular MDR table with a well behaved kid, but the Chef's table is just a venue where it is not really appropriate, in my view, no matter how well behaved the child is. Still a child. To me its more a problem with the parents that put their kids in that position not understanding and respecting how a child's presence can adversely affect other's experience at such an event.

Again this could be the difference in who we associate with. In and under no circumstances do I take my child somewhere that I feel conversation could get inappropriate for her. This is a fine dining experience, I would assume everyone would be well behaved. Again, this is our 1st cruise on RCC, so if people use the wine tasting as a chance to get "toasted" then I might have wrong expectations. At no point would I think a chef dinner would the conversation turn inappropriate or have any effect at all on others. But again, we have not sailed RCC so not sure the type of cruisers on the ship and perhaps, free flowing wine brings out the best of them at the end of the evening tops will be off and the pole will come out.

I am leaving this topic before I offend anyone. I have very different ideas of "class" then others perhaps because again, several people I have run into I would never want to sit next to at any table. ANd guess what, they weren't kids

BUT to answer the OPs question. Yes, kids can attend. Our genie confirmed this. They will even make a special menu for your child (although mine does not need it) So use your discretion if you want to bring your child but yes, they are allowed.

Edited by terkov

I am leaving this topic before I offend anyone. I have very different ideas of "class" then others perhaps because again, several people I have run into I would never want to sit next to at any table. ANd guess what, they weren't kids.

But I just made a fresh batch of popcorn!!! Well darn....:rolleyes:

And there are several places you can go without kids no? Isn't there some solarium (again, this is our 1st RCC cruise) or bar kids can't go to? Isn't the casino adults only? Or a pool deck?

If RCC said no kids (like DCL Palo) I wouldn't bring her. But they don't, so I will. And I am not sure why if they feel it is ok you feel it isn't? Why is brining a child all of a sudden "not sophisticated" I guarantee there will be people sitting next to you FAR less sophisticated then my child.

It just bothers me when people make comments like this. If you don't want to be around kids, go to an adults only resort, but don't make comments that people shouldn't bring kids to venues that say they can attend. I would like cruises to not allow rude, pushy, tacky and uneducated people but I don't post comments that cruises should enforce that.

No. Kids will be in the solarium hot tubs. Running around the solarium. Sitting in bars and lounges.

It gets really tiresome sometimes. This is just one more thing. An $85 wine pairing dinner. Which has kids.

I couldn't have said it better. I hope I'm not sailing with the family of the "exceptional 8yr old". If I am, I guess I'll have to have "my Genie" confer with theirs to be sure we're not at CT the same night. I've done CT on Oasis before and it is absolutely not a place for children under 13, even exceptionally well-behaved ones.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr