Children at Chef's Table?

Oops! This was meant to be a reply for John and LaLa. :)

Also, if the menu isn't to your liking, or you have food allergies, they're very accommodating. I'm not fond of scallops, and they let me choose my starters from the Chops menu. This was done the day we booked. The evening of the Table, they brought out what I chose at the same time as everyone else's, and drew no attention to me. Very professional.

On Legend, Laura had them switch the scallops for shrimp. We made that request when booking

You are absolutely right! Most likely your 11 year old COULD manage such an experience without misbehaving, and truth be told, most likely my almost 8 year old granddaughter COULD manage it too. She'd probably even try some of the unfamiliar food. But just because I think she COULD behave doesn't give me the right to take her into an environment where she'd be bored to death. I'd be treating HER badly. The key point is that both you and I recognize how inconsiderate WE would be to these kids to put them in a boring adult wine drinking/learning/dining situation for 3+ hours. There are so many other fun options for them, as you point out.

:D;) I like your post. But I've gotta tell you that you shouldn't count on that refund from the parents. However, if your polite request for a refund is rebuffed...well...there might be some behaviors YOU could engage in...or some vocabulary you might use in your conversation about that science project... that would encourage the parents to take Elsa and Jack elsewhere.:p

Judy

Well, just maybe the option would give them something to think about for the future.

Edited by myfuzzy

Honestly, in real life, if an adult wanted to hang out and chat with a child that they didn't know well, or weren't related to, it would be considered improper. But someone is supposed to be ok with being a dining partner to a kid on a cruise? It's just weird. Tolerable, I suppose, but not optimal, by any means.

I guess if you seated the kids at the end of the table, or in between the parents, it would be tolerable. But if I am paying $85 pp for a wine pairing dinner, I don't want to make conversation with an 8 year old, or even a 12 year old, for 3 hours.

DH and I have been discussing this Chef's Table and kids thing over a glass of wine.;) (We thought the wine appropriate to our discussion, although so far there hasn't been any food pairing...alas...) Anyway, I now realize that I might need to RETRACT something I said previously. Turns out DH and I actually thought of 1 kid we would both happily and proudly take to Chef's Table.

No, this kid is not in our family, although we're blessed with beautiful grandchildren who are attractive, well behaved, toilet trained, and have great table manners. As professional educators, both DH and I feel that deliberately wasting 3 hours of a kid's childhood by making the kid sit through Chef's Table is egregious, but we recognize it could be beneficial to a very unique and exceptional child. This kid, the only kid we agreed could truly BENEFIT from the Chef's Table experience, would be Manny from Modern Family.:D

(We'll take him with us to CT and happily pay his $85 to accompany us if we have the opportunity...:))

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I have no problem having young children at the CT as long as the parents/grandparents expect no special treatment for the young people.......and the child does not try to be the center of attention. But we all know in a crowd of 12 or less what is going to happen.....

Edited by land lover

DH and I have been discussing this Chef's Table and kids thing over a glass of wine.;) (We thought the wine appropriate to our discussion, although so far there hasn't been any food pairing...alas...) Anyway, I now realize that I might need to RETRACT something I said previously. Turns out DH and I actually thought of 1 kid we would both happily and proudly take to Chef's Table.

No, this kid is not in our family, although we're blessed with beautiful grandchildren who are attractive, well behaved, toilet trained, and have great table manners. As professional educators, both DH and I feel that deliberately wasting 3 hours of a kid's childhood by making the kid sit through Chef's Table is egregious, but we recognize it could be beneficial to a very unique and exceptional child. This kid, the only kid we agreed could truly BENEFIT from the Chef's Table experience, would be Manny from Modern Family.:D

(We'll take him with us to CT and happily pay his $85 to accompany us if we have the opportunity...:))

Judy

OMG, too funny!:D

I guess the bottom line is if RCL allows it, people are free to bring children if they want to pay. If others don't want to dine with children present, they are free to leave. It's that simple. It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what others think of children in venues that allow them as it's not their call - it's RCL's. If people don't want to be around children - that's fine - book a vacation to an adults-only resort, etc., or spend you time in those venues on the ship that don't allow children. But if children are allowed in the venue - deal with it or leave - it's not your call whether my or someone else's child is present.

You say you are planning to take your children to a 3 hour Chef's Table Wine Pairing dinner, and you should do that if it makes you happy. You are quite correct in that nobody can force you to be considerate to others or to your own children. You are perfectly free to put your needs above theirs and your adult fellow diners. It's your right. It's supported by guidelines.

Judy

"Rights" have nothing to do with it. If RCL allows it, and the parents want to pay that amount for a child, it's their call - not yours. The parent paid full fare for that child and if the child is permitted to be there - that's none of your business. If you don't like it - that's fine - leave and request a refund. If you don't want children around - fine - stay in venues that don't allow children or book a vacation in an adult's-only resort. It has nothing to do with putting one's "needs" above yours (your "needs" are irrelevant). I don't particularly like being surrounded by people in wheelchairs. Should I demand those who need wheelchairs eat elsewhere or only patronize certain venues so my "needs" are met? Of course not - because that's ridiculous, just as your statement is. Personally, I wouldn't pay to have my child attend CT. She would be excessively bored. But I wouldn't think to judge someone else for taking their child, as long as RCL permits it. If RCL doesn't permit it, then children have no business being there and other paxs should notify the appropriate personnel and have the child removed.

All these posts are well thought our and opinions expressed. What I would like to see happen... is a family book the CT, interact with the other guests and report back on how your child(ren) enjoyed their evening, as well as the guests, who have just spent an evening with others pride and joys.

When I book the CT and have the opportunity of spending it with Jack or Jill, and enjoy the conversation of Elsa or Jacks science project, I will politely ask the parents to please refund my money, as my hard earned $$ are spent for my enjoyment, not entertaining their children.

Yeah right. If I were that parent (I wouldn't be because my daughter would be excessively bored at a table chock full of adults), I would laugh in your face and politely tell you where you could "go" to find that "hard earned" money.

If I've paid $85 each for my husband and I to go I'd hardly call that nothing... The bigger picture is why would you want to bring little kids to an adult event? If I am going to an adult venue, it's because I don't want to take part in a family event. I could bring my kids with me to my book club, and my lunch with girlfriends, but I don't because I want to hang out with adults. BUT RCI doesn't want to be the bad guy (or potentially lose revenue) and say "adults only." As long as that door is open, there can be people who bring their kids.

Why? I have absolutely no idea...it's a few hours out of an entire family-friendly cruise to be adults and not just parents. I look forward to those moments on vacations, but some want to include their children.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Babysitting costs perhaps?

So would we. I've been to a Chef's Table on Brilliance. Lovely experience, and not for children.

Our's on Serenade was off of the aft lounge on deck six. Was that where yours was?

It was a great location, and we really enjoyed it.

Twelve adults and had a waiting list, even though it was hosted on multiple

nights through the cruise (I think it was every sea day, and there were four

of them on that cruise). We got lucky and filled a cancellation spot, so we

were able to get two seats at the table on one of the last nights.

Do give it a try, then come back and tell us about your experience! I think you'll be surprised at how well it really works in the Windjammer - I know I was.

I understand your reservations completely. I mean...the concepts of AMBIENCE and ELEGANCE and GOURMET are hard to reconcile with your mental image of the Windjammer, right? (Or as my now adult son used to call it... 'the Foodcrammer'...) The lighting is different at night in there, and that helps. Also having the Chef's Table all by itself on one side is great. And somehow it works.

Judy

Giovannis, (formerly Portofino) and Chops are both located just off the WJ on

Freedom.

BTW: We call it "Food slammer"....too funny! :p

I can't imagine taking a child to CT, very few children would be happy sitting there for a 3 hour dinner. We've only been to 3 CT's but have never seen children present. However, CI66774 is right, it's RC's restaurant and if they allow it and accept payment for it, your choice becomes having a dinner with children present or leaving and requesting a refund. And you can complain about it on your survey but if RC allows it, it's their ship and their rules.:D

Sherri:)