Mon-Sat cruise less "party" atmosphere?

I'd like to take my elderly mother on a shorter cruise that departs from a Florida port. I've only sailed on HAL, and I'm a little concerned that short Caribbean cruises on other lines may be a little too loud. My mother would probably use a scooter (does not normally, but I think it will be safer). She would enjoy a lively atmosphere, just not real loud or where she's the only senior.

I'm looking at the Nov. 28 Caribbean cruise Brilliance, which is of course the Monday after Thanksgiving, 6 days, disembarking Saturday morning. Given my concerns, any thoughts on this ship/itinerary, or other advice?

What is your definition of elderly? We have sailed Celebrity for years and I am certain you would enjoy their cruises. We also have sailed RCCL and have always enjoyed our cruises with no issues. The friends who cruised with us were 92 and 85 and they had a great time on RCCL cruises.

I'd like to take my elderly mother on a shorter cruise that departs from a Florida port. I've only sailed on HAL, and I'm a little concerned that short Caribbean cruises on other lines may be a little too loud. My mother would probably use a scooter (does not normally, but I think it will be safer). She would enjoy a lively atmosphere, just not real loud or where she's the only senior.

I'm looking at the Nov. 28 Caribbean cruise Brilliance, which is of course the Monday after Thanksgiving, 6 days, disembarking Saturday morning. Given my concerns, any thoughts on this ship/itinerary, or other advice?

I have a little concern about getting a scooter for someone who does not usually use one. ships are very crowded and they take a little getting used to. just my two cents

Brillance isn't usually a "party" ship, nor does it attract kids/teens/college crowd because it lacks the amenities and activities of the larger ship. It's not a weekend sailing. The week after Thanksgiving is generally low-key. I'd say you've picked a sailing that has a very low risk of being a party cruise.

One of us is disabled and uses a power wheelchair to get around and about ship and/or ashore.

Looking at your itinerary, Grand Cayman is a tender port and your mother may not be able to transfer (with her scooter) from the ship to tender to shore and/or from shore tender back onto the ship.

Cozumel is somewhat wheelchair/scooter friendly except not all shops are easy to access.

Wishing you and your mother a great cruise ! I think a short cruise of 6 days is very doable and enjoyable for both you and your mother.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

Generally speaking - this is a good week to travel with minimal kids/families on board. It's even a slow-ish week at Disneyworld! And I agree with DonnaK that ship wise - it's a very good choice as well.

Can't say much about the scooter but make sure you consider where to store it when you book your room. A room located not far from the elevators may be a good choice...or maybe a rollator or cane that cAn easily turn to a seat might be an alternative depending on what you are expecting to do / use the scooter for.

The Monday after Thanksgiving is one of the best times to cruise. We have done so the past few years during this time. It is a very relaxing time and there are very few children on board. The crew are in great spirits this week too since it is much nicer for them crowd wise. The 2nd week of December is fairly relaxed just before the Christmas vacation timeframe starts too. Generally you can not go wrong with the first 2 weeks after thanksgiving.

Tendering may be the biggest issue with the cruise you have picked. You may want to consider other options if this concerns you too. There are quite a few nice itineraries and some of the other ships may have some features that might appeal to you as well(maybe the 3rd of December on the Independence for 5 nights might work?). If you think the scooter is going to be an issue you may want to look at others that do not have tendering.

One other really nice feature is the Christmas decorations will be up when you board if you do plan this week. They had a tree lighting one night as well on our last cruise. I am unsure if they will have as many decorations on the Brilliance though since it does not have a promenade.

Hope you have a great cruise:).

I have a little concern about getting a scooter for someone who does not usually use one. ships are very crowded and they take a little getting used to. just my two cents

I second this one. My sister and I took my mom on NCL Breakaway - a very large ship, so we thought a scooter would be good. Then we really thought about it and decided not to get one for her. She doesn't normally use a walker or anything she just walks slow because she has an issue with her leg. My sister borrowed one of the rollators with the seat and she used that when we walked around Nassau. On the ship she was fine without using help to get around.

I totally agree. Brilliance has very narrow elevators and I've seen folks struggle to get scooters in and out.

Have you considered a lightweight collapsible transport chair? Sometimes it's a long hot walk from the gangway to any place you can get in a taxi. On the pier transport like golf carts is not always readily available.

What cabin number are you booked in on Brilliance? IMO you want to be as close to the aft elevators as possible if mobility is an issue. I

I second this one. My sister and I took my mom on NCL Breakaway - a very large ship, so we thought a scooter would be good. Then we really thought about it and decided not to get one for her. She doesn't normally use a walker or anything she just walks slow because she has an issue with her leg. My sister borrowed one of the rollators with the seat and she used that when we walked around Nassau. On the ship she was fine without using help to get around.

It will be the tail end of the hurricane season, so I figured that my mother will be more stable sitting on a scooter would be safer than standing/walking if there are rough seas.

The Monday after Thanksgiving is one of the best times to cruise. We have done so the past few years during this time. It is a very relaxing time and there are very few children on board. The crew are in great spirits this week too since it is much nicer for them crowd wise. The 2nd week of December is fairly relaxed just before the Christmas vacation timeframe starts too. Generally you can not go wrong with the first 2 weeks after thanksgiving.

Tendering may be the biggest issue with the cruise you have picked. You may want to consider other options if this concerns you too. There are quite a few nice itineraries and some of the other ships may have some features that might appeal to you as well(maybe the 3rd of December on the Independence for 5 nights might work?). If you think the scooter is going to be an issue you may want to look at others that do not have tendering.

One other really nice feature is the Christmas decorations will be up when you board if you do plan this week. They had a tree lighting one night as well on our last cruise. I am unsure if they will have as many decorations on the Brilliance though since it does not have a promenade.

Hope you have a great cruise:).

I'm not sure what nice features you are referring to. Nice for a person with limited mobility? I figured that the larger ships (Independence, etc.) would require too much walking (or even scootering).

Your mother will find a handicap cabin will work best for her, especially if you want her to have a scooter on board. On the Nov 28, Brilliance there is an oceanview cabin on deck four available this evening. I would suggest that you call Royal Caribbean and explain that she needs the accommodations due to age, etc.

She will find a November cruise to be ideal. Just avoid all school vacation times and holidays.

I'm not sure what nice features you are referring to. Nice for a person with limited mobility? I figured that the larger ships (Independence, etc.) would require too much walking (or even scootering).

The promenade is probably one of the nicest features on the larger ships and if you have a scooter it works well in this area. The layout may provide a easier ways to get to where you want to go as well so that is something to consider too. You will have to decide what you are looking at doing while onboard and that will help determine how far you will be walking or scootering. The freedom class ship is 150 feet longer then the Brilliance.

The reason I suggested that ship instead is mainly because of the tendering in Caymen. You will have to check prices regularly if you book now as they are higher then typical for this week. Another possible option for you may be the Navigator for 7 days instead on November 27th. The prices should be very close depending on what site you use to check them. Just for a comparison the Brilliance cruise is priced a $519 while the Navigator is priced at $545 using a very popular online cruise company and an interior room. The 5 day cruise on the Navigator for December the 3rd has been very reasonable as well and it does not have any tendering either. You may not be looking at this type of room but I put it in just so you could compare.

You may want to look to see if there are other scooter threads which may help you make your decision. Hope you find what works best for you.