15 Night Bering Sea & Japan Cruise on Millennium

ilikeplanes

I saw a seal and a whale today. Always wonderful! More in your face sales event pitches as well as premium restaurant (Qsine) staff attempts to get guests to make reservations.They stood by the stairs on I believe deck 10. You could not avoid them.I finally explained as nicely as possible to the guy that although I know he is being told to do this by the higher ups, that it is very off putting to many of the guests,like myself. I am really sick of the more than occasional sales pitches,sales oriented events, and events that cost money to participate in.This is worse than what I experienced on NCL fwiw....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by haikou

I have finally successfully ordered room service tonight,and it just arrived I did have lunch in my room the other day.I have been at late seating every night until tonight fwiw.

I do love the glass elevators,and the ship overall is quite lovely. But I do see worn armchairs and chairs in a number of places around the ship, the fabric on the love seat in my room is very worn at the end of the arms. More later as I think of things to report.

Edited by haikou

Ok I have had it!!!!!!!! I was trying to enjoy my dinner -actually had just finished, when I came back over to my bed and looked at the phone there was a message light flashing.The message was a frickin future sales solicitation invite to some cocktails something or other and I stopped listening it annoyed me so much.I do not drink so how dare they assume I do ,but more importantly how dare Celebrity not leave the guests alone in their own stateroom.That was the deal breaker for me.You could not get me to book another cruise With this company if life depended on it as it is all about getting passengers to spend money,make impulsive purchase and God forbid if you had a gambling problem!!!!!!HONESTLY!!!! OIVAY!!! I will spend more money and go less frequently to not have issues every day as I have had with Celebrity.The rooms may be smaller and the food selections and quality not quite as good but I would consider NCL before this line again-unless they do something magical to change my opinion of them between now and cruise's end,something I highly doubt they can or are willing to do

Edited by haikou

Celebrity is NOT Crystal - the comparison is not a fair one and no amount of exasperation is going to change that

Interesting to hear you comments and experience experience - sorry it's not to your liking but it seem the the expression "you get what you pay for" is very true

So far I am not at all impressed by the service nor attitude of a number of staff /employees. Mildewy,smelly shower upon embarkation.I thought original steward would notice and clean it but must not have cared as I also received anextra blanket With noticeable white stains which smelled And looked like dried milk or baby spit up. I have changed to a stewardess due to his seeming lack of concern for hygiene/sanitary conditions and attitude but won't go into that here.Safe didn't work due to low battery.Stateroom card becameMagnetized 5 Times in 2 days so I have had to keep running back to the front desk to get it fixed.Apparently my iPad even turned off and with cover closed can cause this but I didn't have it with me 3 of the 5 times it stopped working. Poor service in the dining room last night so all four of us at the table told the maitre d so we are changing tables and waiters tonight and suggested they need to improve in this area. Oivay

The iPad uses a magnetic sensor to know the case is closed to put it to sleep. Even if it is off, the magnet in to cover and possibly the speaker which also has a small magnet cow desensitize a magnetic strip, even if the device is off.

I'm sorry you're not having a grand time. Celebrity is a mass market, though slightly more upscale, line. Crystal is a luxury line, all suite, all inclusive so hard to compare them. Your comparison to NCL is fare as they are more alike than different.

My advice, ignore the pitches as best you can, just throw away all the junk "Mail" or ask your steward not to leave / remove it and do your own thing.

Incidentally I have two friends on the ship (that didn't, but probably know each other now) who seem to be enjoying themselves.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am sailing solo and unfortunately this cruise feels like a Noah's ark with few solo and single passengers,not at all what I am used to with Crystal.Not fun to start with.Traveling with someone else probably insulates you from some of the many annoyances.I am speaking for myself not for others on the ship. if they are enjoying themselves great, but I bet bottom dollar they have not had the same poor service or interactions with some staff that I have. I am in the cheapest cabin on board,inside solo,fwiw. No one regardless of line should have to put up with moldy,mildew showers, visibly stained blankets that smelled and looked like baby spit up,poor attitude from the room steward(now changed to better female stewardess)constant problems with room cards(no longer carrying the iPad with me or near the card)problems with remote every day until this am, nor spam messages,solicitations via the phone.Sorry that should never be ok on any line. Then this am, at the Oceanview cafe a crew member named Elgie said washy washy to me like a child with hand sanitizer in a purse like container,and I started to walk by to use the ones by the door to the restaurant and she said in another tone of voice which I did not appreciate,"are you going into breakfast?"making me come back and get sprayed even though there were dispensers by the door to use.She let a couple go by with just a wave off by the guy, so why was I stopped? Another couple on the other side going into the restaurant she said nothing to at all.I told her no not talk to me like a child as I did not find it cute nor did I appreciate this not being uniformly enforced.She did not talk to couples this way or the men, and believe me I made it clear that I would not be spoken to this way.She was probably from a culture that gives more respect to men than women, but I Will not put up with that,luxury line or not.Honestly I can not go a full day without problems in service or something not working right, although later today it will be a full day without remote control issues yay!

Edited by haikou

Celebrity is NOT Crystal - the comparison is not a fair one and no amount of exasperation is going to change that

Interesting to hear you comments and experience experience - sorry it's not to your liking but it seem the the expression "you get what you pay for" is very true

Unfortunately, it is not always 100% correct that you get what you pay for. I have gone inexpensively on several lines and I've never had a dirty blanket, never had mildew, never had a remote that didn't work (or wasn't fixed within an hour or two) and never had a safe that stayed broken/locked for more than an hour or two. Haikou has been particularly unlucky with all these annoying things happening.

If those things hadn't happened, Haikou, you might be laughing about all the sales pitches; but in this frame of mind, absolutely note. I know I've been accosted by the Washy Washy lady, too, but thankfully I was always in enough of a good mood at the time so it didn't bother me.

And I'm glad you set need2bespoiled straight. My guess is that, while you have cruised with Crystal (on more than one occasion), need2bespoiled has not. It sounds like confusion amongst cruise lines. Regency and the two S lines are perhaps "all-suite"?

Crystal is certainly moving that way with their new ships.

Of course, you should not have dirty blankets or dirty cabin. It seems your major issues and complaints get lost a you also compare the difference with a different, vastly different line with far fewer guest and cabins and a drastically different guest to crew ratio.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We're also aboard this voyage and having a wonderful time (not to contradict the issues Haikou has/is having).

Based on previous reviews of this itinerary we were well prepared for cool, overcast days here on the Bering Sea. The weather Gods must be smiling this year as we are pleasantly surprised at the air temperature AND abundant sunshine. We knew the days would get warmer after departing Dutch Harbor as we take a more southwesterly route to Japan. But we are just under 24 hours from Dutch Harbor and the weather is fantastic. I had to come in off our port side balcony a few minutes ago because I was getting too warm! If anyone looks to book this voyage, I recommend booking on the port side as you have sunshine most all day as opposed to shade on starboard. This is due to the direction we're sailing along with the fact we're so far north.

The stop in Dutch Harbor was pure pleasure. There is sufficient time to see just about everything of interest and the local community is so welcoming.

As long as the good weather continues as we sail further south, my guess would be that the covered pool area will become less crowded as people start venturing out to the open-air pool area. The days from Vancouver to Dutch Harbor were the coolest.

So far, our expectations have been exceeded when considering everything (weather, ship facilities, dining, crew and activities).

We are not Celebrity cheerleaders, but sail a variety of lines as evidenced in my signature. Next cruise will be on Princess, the previous one on NCL and the one previous to that was Crystal. Variety is the spice of life! ;)

To the poster above I have done one Carnival, one NCL, 12 Crystal, and 2 Royal Viking. Plus this cruise. Bodogbodog all I have to say to you is horse hockey!

I have always worked in service oriented businesses from to retail and now driving.No one at any level should have to tolerate unhygienic,unsanitary conditions or bedding. There are laws covering minimal standards in the hospitality industry and cruiselines are not exempt from them. There were none of these issues on NCL or Carnival even.

Again I am speaking from my own experience and others on the same cruise may have different experiences.But that does not invalidate mine. Obviously this line is not a good fit for me as I hate being one of only a dozen or so solo travelers on board.I never would have booked this had I known it was going to be a Noah's ark, with passengers mostly sticking to themselves, socializing difficult at best, and I am spending a lot of time by myself.Not my goal to be by myself so much when cruising, and never an issue on Crystal. I had no idea there would be so many gambling or drinking activities on board.Absolutely not my cup of tea. THe peel at my table have changed to early seating last night( I ate in my rom so I didn't know until I ran into them today.The other fellow at our table didn't show up 2 nights ago so I don't know if he will be back or not.Rather than risk eating by myself at dinner tonight, I have chosen to eat in my stateroom.For any of you who are outgoing,extroverted, you probably have no idea how difficult it is for me to meet people on my own, unless there is an organized activity such as trivia.I have started to go to trivia as of 2 Days ago and the team is pleasant enough.But like everything else we all go separate ways after it is over.This a very unpleasant cruise for me and those traveling with others on this cruise, lecturing me on what I should do won't help.Many non English speaking people on this cruise too. I honestly can't wait to get off this ship and that is sad.I came to relax and distress and all I am finding is doing exactly the opposite, from feeling socially isolated, to having no interest in many activities that I have no interest in and do not know how I could have found out about before booking this cruise.Even at the meet and mingle people were not meeting and mingling :(.

Change of plans.The so called pizza was some frozen garbage ,the fruit was ok, but not enough for dinner so I am going to check with the Maitre'd and see if they can put me at a table with an odd number of guests at the same seating as before. 0 for2 in staying at the same table with the same group for the duration of the cruise. Later tonight we cross the intl date line and tomorrow will be Sep 10 .We will never see Sept 9, 2016 , onboard!!

Change of plans.The so called pizza was some frozen garbage ,the fruit was ok, but not enough for dinner so I am going to check with the Maitre'd and see if they can put me at a table with an odd number of guests at the same seating as before. 0 for2 in staying at the same table with the same group for the duration of the cruise. Later tonight we cross the intl date line and tomorrow will be Sep 10 .We will never see Sept 9, 2016 , onboard!!

I'm really rooting for you that you are able to meet some social/open people on board and are able to turn this cruise around to make it a pleasant experience for you. I give you a lot of credit for cruising solo as this is something I've personally never done and would have inhibitions doing myself of joining dinner tables/games solo and starting conversations when I know most people are partnered.

Thank you for posting about your travels.

I have changed to the eat when you wish option for the rest of the cruise and think this will be the best option.When I called guest relations to ask about this, she talked to the Maitre'd and his first table of choice was right next where I had been and they don't speak English!What was he thinking? He wasn't, and that inattention to detail has been apparent throughout the cruise.The lady from France called me to tell me this and I said no that was not ok as the point is to be around others and it should have been assumed others who speak my same language-OIVAY! Pleasant company however.I Will see how things go from here on out with different people every night(I dreaded this type if dining arrangement pre cruise but I Really don't have any other option with so few solo travelers on board.The table is for those who wish to join others to,solos or couples, and that is fine by me at this point.The international date line party is going on and it looks like fun but I am tired.We set clocks back by 2 hrs tonight but jump ahead by a day so adios to September 9 and will be waking up on Sept 10[emoji3]

Edited by haikou

Sorry about all of the typos in previous posts.A nice day at sea with more movement than I have felt earlier in the cruise, but I like knowing we are at sea for a change. I'm in a better mood as no major incidents for 2 days nowYay! Just some yucky pizza from room service-obviously pre made frozen pizza not even as good as Mama Celeste so I had all of one bite and that was it.But overall the food has been very good,without paying for the premium restaurants. I do love the glass elevators.There have Ben a few more seminars of interest in the past day or so, and I continue to go to afternoon trivia...More later

Edited by haikou

This is our first Celebrity cruise following about 25 on Princess, so naturally I have been doing a lot of comparison. We are in a Concierge class balcony, which compares to minisuite/deluxe balcony on Princess. I took a chance and prebooked the unlimited internet. Surprisingly, it has worked well and we have streamed several Netflix and HBO programs, s well as Facetiming with my granddaughter. I have been keeping a like/dislike list as follows:

Bathroom has a nightlight

Shower is bigger

Room service breakfast menu

- more choices (scrambled eggs, omelets, hash browns, waffles, French toast)

Room service calls that they are on the way and calls again to ask if everything was ok.

Patio furniture more comfortable

Clear glass on the balcony

Afternoon canapés delivered to room each day

Unlimited Internet and it actually works - able to stream Netflix, HBO, etc. was worth the hefty cost.

Two US style Electrical outlets in room and two European outlets.

Tipping not expected for room service

Two rowing machines in gym

Flavored butter choices in dining room

Buffet layout larger and more choices

Captain circle and Concierge class welcome party drinks keep coming after speakers are done

Prefer theatre layout over Princess-three levels, loveseats with lighted tables

Free brewed coffee

BOGO from 7-8 pm at all bars

Don't like:

Patio dividers

Mattress and pillows

Miss Princess style Piazza

Glass of wine, specialty coffee more expensive than Princess, 18% gratuity.

Thanks for the comparison. :) we have family that cruises on Princess regularly and we've talked about trying a cruise from San Francisco.

To make the bed more comfortable you can ask for an eggcrate mattress topper and also different pillows, memory foam, softer, firmer, etc..

To make the bed more comfortable you can ask for an eggcrate mattress topper and also different pillows, memory foam, softer, firmer, etc..

We showed the list to the Concierge and she ordered an eggcrate mattress and told us to ask the steward to show us the different pillows.

We are on this cruise and couldn't be more pleased. The ship is in amazing good condition for an older ship. Some worn upholstery but what would a person expect. The maintenance is outstanding and always ongoing. Our room steward is very good and always willing to provide any service we ask for. We have select dining and have a permanent reservation with a very good waiter and asst. waiter. The dinners in the dining room have been very good. The staff on this ship is the friendliest we have encountered on any of our 8 Celebrity cruises.

We have enjoyed this ship and cruise as much as any we have been on. We have 2 family verandas with 2 people in each one. What a great way to travel. We couldn't be happier with the ship and the cruise

IT may be different for people traveling together but for meit is hard to meet others here without a lot of discomfort for those of us who are not naturally outgoing.Other than at trivia and meal time, I spend a lot of time by myself.I have approached new people pretty much every day but it isn't easy.

The seas and wind have finally kicked in and I love the white caps,large swells etc.

What with all of the problems for close to the full first week,the majority of activities including drinking,gambling and or sales pitches, this is definitely not the right cruise line for me,I can't wait to get off the ship in Tokyo. I have no desire to ever cruise on any Celebrity cruise again and am not willing to risk another cruise with them on Royal Caribbean or Azamara. Like the poster who said one and done

with Crystal, I am one and done with Celebrity....Worst cruise ever in spite of better food and room size than on Carnival or NCL...

Warning to prospective Celebrity cruisers: Do not take this line if you are solo, do not drink, or gamble!!!!!! I hope others will not have to endure the issues I have had to on this cruise.I am not alone however with having had a moldy/mildew shower so someone somewhere has dropped the ball in keeping the bathrooms clean and sanitary. SIgning off for the rest of the cruise as I have made it very clear my dislike of this cruise and the cruiseline Caio.

Edited by haikou