Solstice - docking/anchoring in Ketchikan, Alaska

sleepless

Recently saw this on the Alaska Boards: Solstice – At Anchor tender to Hansen Float (Sockeye Sam’s)

Do any recent cruisers on the Solstice to Alaska know if Ketchikan will now anchoring, and guests tendered to shore, as there had been a lot of damage to a pier recently while a ship was docking?

Thanks

They expected repairs to be done about July 5.

http://www.krbd.org/2016/06/07/dock-repair-starting-tourist-traffic-changes/

and

http://www.krbd.org/2016/06/15/city-council-to-discuss-repairs-to-damaged-dock/

Looking at the Ketchikan schedule even if delayed only 3 ships in port Jul 3 and then Jul 24 to the end of the year on Sundays.

Jul 10 and Jul 24 have 4 ships.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

June 12 2016: docked

Same. Was just there last week and Captain Tasos put us right to the dock.

There were actually 2 other cruise ships there at the time so there doesn't seem to be any "punishment" for Celebrity.

Regardless of the damaged dock, the Solstice is on alternating weeks for docking and then tendering.

Guess I need to go and check for our upcoming Solstice sailing (8/12). Apparently last year we were "lucky" (docked)!

EDIT: ... ok, I give, where is that info posted ??

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Guess I need to go and check for our upcoming Solstice sailing (8/12). Apparently last year we were "lucky" (docked)!

EDIT: ... ok, I give, where is that info posted ??

Tom

Juneau is alternating weeks anchoring and docking, Ketchikan is always docked unless the damaged dock prevents it but it appears it does not....

Regardless of the damaged dock, the Solstice is on alternating weeks for docking and then tendering.

Yes, it is my understanding that is the schedule when for docking/tendering in Juneau. I am aware of that.

My question is relating to Skagway, where the Solstice usually docks, rather then tenders. A Celebrity ship damaged the pier several weeks ago, causing substantial damage. In it's current state, ships are not able to dock at that particular birth, until repairs are made. I had read on the Alaska boards that some ships were tendering in Skagway because of the accident. I am looking for updated info as it applies to the Solstice in Skagway.

Damaged dock is in Ketchikan, not Skagway, Skagway is always a docking port....

Thanks for catching it. :) I know Ketchikan is the docking port I was thinking of, but my fingers typed Skagway. . My mind is whirrling. My daughter, who is due to deliver a baby in early July just got released from a 3 day stay in the hospital. She was admitted for multiple blood clots in her lungs, put on total bed rest (told she and baby would die if she moved) and appropriate treatment started; then hospital doctors said she was misdiagnosed. They told her she has pneumonia, and put that on her release papers (however, they told her OB doctor that she has bronchitis), so they sent her home. She has appointment with OB doctor this afternoon; hopefully we will find out what is really going on. My concentrations is slightly off. Again, thank you. You are appreciated.

Try the itinerary as listed on the website

Try your booking info

Try your travel agent or call Captains Club

Check your Roll Call, someone else may have already investigated this

Ah yes, the booking info (duh)! :D

I was thinking of port schedule websites... ;)

Tom

Thanks.

Not sure why they'd put of a PDF like that, with no legend to help one decipher things. It alternates each week between "AJD" and "AMP", and our week shows AJD.

I looked online (Celebrity) and there's no mention of dock/tender that I can see for the Solstice at any ports. I also checked the guest confirmation they emailed me, nothing there either...

OK... just found the "Berth Codes" page. WOO HOO - looks like AJD stands for A.J. Dock and AMP is for Anchor Marine Pier.

Tom

Thanks.

Not sure why they'd put of a PDF like that, with no legend to help one decipher things. It alternates each week between "AJD" and "AMP", and our week shows AJD.

I looked online (Celebrity) and there's no mention of dock/tender that I can see for the Solstice at any ports. I also checked the guest confirmation they emailed me, nothing there either...

OK... just found the "Berth Codes" page. WOO HOO - looks like AJD stands for A.J. Dock and AMP is for Anchor Marine Pier.

Tom

AJ Dock: (Juneau)

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sleepless,

I'm sure you will see it in our roll call, but last week the Solstice was moored out and tendering in Ketchikan and this week is docked. So, unless there are more ships every other week then we should be docking.