Kids Ages

gandoratze42

Hi. I know I seen before that NCL is strict with regard to the age grouping cutoffs between youth programs. We are traveling with close friends and their kids are 6 & 9 (so they're together), but our youngest is 5 (and will be less than a month away from turning 6 at time of sailing). Has anyone had any luck convincing them to allow a shift to a different age group? Our 5 year old has already finished kindergarten and is mature for his age. We'd love him to be able to spend time with his friends, but it sounds like it'll be near impossible to make it happen. Any tips appreciated.

My experience is that they will not let them move up between groups. My kids are 4 years apart. They don't have any problems being apart now after 5 cruises. During certain times of kid's club, they have "free play" when my kids have gotten to play with each other. On my last cruise on Pearl, the "Freestyle Free Play" times were 9-10 am, 1-2 pm, 10-10:30 pm, and after hours late night fun zone. Also, on Pearl, alot of the games were combined for ages 6-9 and 10-12 year olds. My 7 year old told me he was practically in the group with my 10 year old. I guess it depends on how many kids there are in each age group. I hope I've helped a little.

Candice

Ack--

I have a 12.5-year-old who will be unhappy enough not to be with the "big" kids (and his older brother). But to be combined with kids as a little as 6? He probably won't do much with the kids' club in that case. He is a junior CIT at camp this summer, and they are mentoring kids up to that age!

Edited by lmintzer

Ack--

I have a 12.5-year-old who will be unhappy enough not to be with the "big" kids (and his older brother). But to be combined with kids as a little as 6? He probably won't do much with the kids' club in that case. He is a junior CIT at camp this summer, and they are mentoring kids up to that age!

My son was in that age group (Dolphins) on 2 cruises, and said they were never combined. Maybe it has to do with the ship or how many kids are there? Besides, there are always multiple things to be done in the club.

Ack--

I seriously doubt he will be combined with 6 year olds. It would have to be a very non crowded ship for that.

I am sorry to tell you this but its not going to happen. NCL holds hard and firm to that rule and does not waiver.

I have seen age groups put together for some activities on off season sailings with very few kids. Like October early November, late January when they have fewer than 200 kids on board. But since there is no way to know the demographic of your sailing do not plan on it.

I am sure the friends will have plenty of time to play together on the ship. My DS was so busy doing stuff that he only went to adventure ocean 1 time all week. One other time we wanted to send him but it was to hot (who knew summer in the Caribbean :-) )and they where playing on the sports court so extra hot.

Sorry I know this isn't strictly to do with childrens clubs onboard but hoping someone with first hand knowledge can help me out . We are booked on Jade in August and will have our 10 month old granddaughter who likes to play in pool, she has swim diaper and protective wrap but from what I read she may not be allowed in pool any help much appreciated.

Sorry I know this isn't strictly to do with childrens clubs onboard but hoping someone with first hand knowledge can help me out . We are booked on Jade in August and will have our 10 month old granddaughter who likes to play in pool, she has swim diaper and protective wrap but from what I read she may not be allowed in pool any help much appreciated.

No way. There aren't even any splash pads on any NCL ships for diapered kids, never mind bringing a baby into a pool. They aren't designed to filter for the diapered set. Only DCL and some RCCL ships have small splash areas for kids in diapers.

Hi. I know I seen before that NCL is strict with regard to the age grouping cutoffs between youth programs. We are traveling with close friends and their kids are 6 & 9 (so they're together), but our youngest is 5 (and will be less than a month away from turning 6 at time of sailing). Has anyone had any luck convincing them to allow a shift to a different age group? Our 5 year old has already finished kindergarten and is mature for his age. We'd love him to be able to spend time with his friends, but it sounds like it'll be near impossible to make it happen. Any tips appreciated.

It will not happen.

She is most definitely not allowed in the pool.

When my 7 and 10 year olds were combined for activities in kids club, it was on the Pearl Alaska June 5-12 cruise. Even in the "off season" Jan. and Feb. when we usually cruise, I have not seen them combined before.

The pools are way too crowded...just not a good place for a baby, IMO. I would suggest you pick up a cheap, small blow up pool. You'll be able to find a place on deck or on your balcony and she will be safe and happy splashing in her own little area. It can also double as a tubby! Enjoy your cruise.

Ack--

He will not be in with 6 year olds. Youngest would be 9. I suggest he go the first day for signup and meet other 12 year olds. They might want to then do activities together outside of kids club.

We have a strange situation. This fall on the Escape, our daughter will be turning 10 in the middle of the cruise. Will she be forced to move up to the older group? We hope not, since we also have a 6 year old.

Has anyone experienced this?

We have a strange situation. This fall on the Escape, our daughter will be turning 10 in the middle of the cruise. Will she be forced to move up to the older group? We hope not, since we also have a 6 year old.

I have read here before that if the birthday falls during the cruise, that the child CAN move up, but doesn't have to move up. I'm not responding from personal experience though, so hopefully someone else can answer for sure.

We have experienced this in reverse where our little guy turned 3 mid cruise and was admitted to Splash on the day of his birthday. My guess is that if you don't specifically mention the birthday when registering (obviously they can see the DOB) your daughter will be placed in the 6-9 group and will stay there. If some mention of the birthday is made, the Splash staff may have no choice but to move her up.

Regarding the swim diaper and "protective wrap"....the water will still filter through the diaper and any contents. Urine isn't the problem...but should the child have a bowel movement, the bacteria WILL filter out of the diaper, even if the contents don't. The pools are too small for that sort of contamination.

Save the "swim diapers" for the beach!!

We have experienced this in reverse where our little guy turned 3 mid cruise and was admitted to Splash on the day of his birthday. My guess is that if you don't specifically mention the birthday when registering (obviously they can see the DOB) your daughter will be placed in the 6-9 group and will stay there. If some mention of the birthday is made, the Splash staff may have no choice but to move her up.

Nope. Maybe 3 year olds are exception but usually On NCL the age they are when they board is the age for duration of cruise for kids club.

Edited by NMLady