Walking around Rome

Lane1344

Hi,

I was wondering is it possible firstly to walk from the Vatican to the colosseum and if it is how long would it take. We can get a shuttle to the Vatican from our hotel so it would make it cheaper for us than catching a taxi directly to the colosseum.

Also how far, walking distance are the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps from the colosseum as we intend to go there after.

Thanks

Elaine

While the pantheon, Trevi and the steps fall in a rather logical flow from the colesseum it is quite a distance from there to the Vatican. I think most would advise either surface transport or even Romes limited metro system. If you elect to do all but the Vatican as a single walk you have stops right at both this steps and the colesseum, so you begin at one and end at the other.

It is quite simple and efficient to take the metro. I believe there is a transfer, but it is easy enough to figure out. Much, much, much quicker than any surface transit.

Walking would take quite a while. This is one of the few instances where using the metro (1.50 euro ticket) makes sense.

Where does the shuttle drop you? Closer to St. Peters or closer to the Vatican museum?

You will use the "A" line (only line that runs in this area, so no worries...) If you are closer to St. Peter's you can get on the metro at Ottaviano. If closer to the museum, use the Cipro stop. Take the train in the direction of Anagnina.

You will get off at Termini station and transfer to the "B" line (on the same ticket); get on the train going in the direction of Laurentina. You will get off at the Colosseo stop. Go up the stairs and voila, the Colosseum is directly in front of you.

If this seems too difficult, you can get a taxi from the rank at St. Peters (just outside the main piazza is a taxi rank. It shouldn't cost more than 10-12 euro or so to the Colosseum.

Edited by cruisemom42

Well some of us enjoy walking. If it is a nice cool day it would be a pleasant walk of about three miles -- much of it would be along the Tiber. We rarely take the metro/bus in Rome as we find walking a way to both burn off calories and explore. If you are pressed for time by all means walk and likewise if you have some physical limitations We just returned from Rome and we wanted to walk along part of the Apia Antica. instead of taking the bus from the nearest Metro station we walked the approximately two miles to the entrance from the Metro station and then back in the afternoon. That earned us a nice dish of gelato [emoji511].

The ATAC web site comes up with the fastest routing of the metro to the #3 tram, rather than changing to the other metro line at Termini. I think that's because of the time it takes to make the change, including the waiting time for the next train. That makes sense to me, having done it. It's not pleasant, almost always crowded, and a slow slog.

ATAC says to stay on the metro past Termini to the Manzoni stop (the second stop after Termini). Exit the station and look for the tram stop in the middle of the street on Viale Manzoni. Take the #3 tram for three stops to the Colosseum.

Thanks for all the advice.

It doesn't seem like a quick way to get there so I think probably a taxi from our hotel instead will be the best thing. We are staying at crowne plaza St. Peter's..

Where the shuttle drops us at the Vatican is a question I need to ask the hotel I think as I just presumed it was at 'the Vatican' ( naive and Rome first timer lol)

Their first shuttle doesn't start till 9 and our tour starts at 10 at the colosseum. I also think it may be a bit too hot to walk that distance in August.

Are the other sights within walking distance from the colosseum or will we have to take the metro.?

Many thanks

Elaine

From the Colosseum, it's easy to plan a walk that would take you by the Pantheon (please don't miss this!), then Trevi Fountain and ending up at the Spanish Steps. You can plan your route on Google maps (it lets you plot a path as a walker).

There's a metro station right at the Spanish Steps that would take you back to the general direction of the Vatican (as mentioned above, there are two possible stops).

The 'Vatican' is the world's smallest state, but it is still a large complex! Good idea to figure out where your shuttle drops you.

Are most of the routes that look like an easy walk on Google Maps easy in reality? We have rented an apartment in Campo de' Fiori (close to the market) and it looks like it's about a mile and a half to the Vatican Museums entrance. We would be walking over there early in the morning. It seems pretty straightforward on the map, but you never know what the walk in "real life" is going to look like!

Are most of the routes that look like an easy walk on Google Maps easy in reality? We have rented an apartment in Campo de' Fiori (close to the market) and it looks like it's about a mile and a half to the Vatican Museums entrance. We would be walking over there early in the morning. It seems pretty straightforward on the map, but you never know what the walk in "real life" is going to look like!

Most walking in Rome is not bad. The worst thing is the traffic. Street signs can be difficult to spot. They are generally up high and placed on the exterior of a building (about the height of what we in the US would call the second floor). Not all streets are marked at every corner. The best advice is to find a GOOD map of the central area and take it with you. Most hotels have them for free but they may not have every little cross street or vicolo (alley) marked.

There are a few hilly areas. The Gianicolo hill is probably the worst, but there are others (after all, Rome was built on seven hills...)

My top tip ... tripadvisor app. Download the Rome city data beforehand.

Then " save" the sights. When you pull up their details you will see the distance shown in ft/m.

Touch the distance digits. You will get a compass showing the distance and direction as a pointer.

Check it every so often as you walk to check you are walking in the correct direction.

I find it invaluable when just walking to make sure we stay on track.

There has to be a balance - high tech tools are great, but the current crop of tourists wandering about Rome with their eyes glued to their I-phone is no better than the Rick Steves' sycophants wandering around with their noses in his books a decade ago.

I understand the need for efficiency, especially within the confines of a port day, but there is a limit! What's the point if most of what you see is on your phone? Just watch the youtube videos and save yourself the time and money of traveling to Europe.

I agree about guide books and phones.

We love to walk around Rome and find places. Use the tech to move between sights with a rough idea of which direction to walk but then explore the places in-between. Easier than a map which tempts you to follow the obvious route and you need to locate yourself to use it.

Rome has a number of well known things to see, but many many more that if they were in other cities would be the main attraction. Over the years we have just found them by accident.

I encourage you to get lost a little but time is short and the main central sights in Rome are easy to walk between.

• 4 months later...

Rick Steves has a couple of good walking tours that will take you past some of the sites you want to see in hi Pocket Rome book. While we also enjoy walking, I caution to not get burned out from it. We used a bus to St. Peter's from our Termeni area hotel, and used the metro from the Vatican Museum back, and also to and from the Forum/Colosseum. I'm glad we did, that was the beginning of three weeks exploring with a lot of walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My top tip ... tripadvisor app. Download the Rome city data beforehand.

Then " save" the sights. When you pull up their details you will see the distance shown in ft/m.

Touch the distance digits. You will get a compass showing the distance and direction as a pointer.

Check it every so often as you walk to check you are walking in the correct direction.

I find it invaluable when just walking to make sure we stay on track.

We do the same thing and find it invaluable. Plus you have your phone out anyway taking pictures so what's wrong with seeing where you are at especially when in Rome for the first time? We will be definitely doing this in May on our TA. Walking around Rome will be much easier. I have been researching places I really want to see and get to in our one day there so having an app point me in the right direction is very helpful.

We have done that walk and would not recommend it for a port day because of the distance and time. We agree with the others that this is a situation where the Metro makes sense. If you go to Rome on your own from the Port, simply purchase a BIRG ticket which includes round trip regional trains to and from the port and also lets you use the same validated ticket for unlimited use of Rome's Metro and bus system. The BIRG ticket is an amazing value (about 12€) compared to cruise line transfers which can cost over $100 and not even include use of the Metro.

Hank