Just Boarded the Rhapsody in Venice

Klfordo: First I've heard of this also and I've been researching tons too. I wonder if one of the previous cruisers can comment whether or not this is something entirely new. Are you doing the 11 night (with a stop in Turkey) or the 10 night (which doesn't stop in Turkey). I know that last time I sailed into Turkey the cruise line (Princess) kept passports while we were in Turkish ports (Istanbul and Kusadasi).

On another note I am THRILLED to see a live posting from Rhapsody and want to wish you an absolute stunning sail!! I'm gnawing my knuckles off to get some more information about this Mediterranean itinerary and will appreciate any information you can pass along.

More Specifically: How was tendering in Santorini, Kotor, and Mykonos? Did it run smoothly? I recently read a report from the Vision that stated the lines for Kotor took several hours to clear. This will effect what time I set up a private tour.

Any other information you are willing to share would be much appreciated. Get a great spot for the sail away from Venice. It is my absolute most favorite sail away port!!

Again, just boarded the ship today.

Spent 2 days pre cruise in London then 2 days in Venice.

As of today, we are still scheduled for 1 day in Turkey. That could change though.

Any other questions, ask away.

Will follow up on the other questions as we get to the ports. This is day 1 of the 11 day cruise.

We did sail past San Marco Square. We watched from our aft balcony

Edited by klfrodo

As of today, we are still scheduled for 1 day in Turkey. That could change though.

Will follow up on the other questions as we get to the ports. This is day 1 of the 11 day cruise.

Aft balcony on this itinerary... how amazing! I'm thinking they are collecting your passports because you stop in Turkey. They may not be collecting them on the 10 day itinerary which would explain why neither of us ever heard before.

I'm going to go look up your itinerary right now so I can follow along with you. HAPPY SAILING!

We were on Splendour out of Venice in 2013, and they kept our passports (Canadian). I assume all other EU passports as well. Are you going to Montenegro? If so, the Montenegrin authorities come onto the ship to stamp them all (IIRC).

I believe they keep non EU passports in the EU but not in American iten

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

... but not on American itineraries. It is not related to Turkey or Montenegro.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Norwegian spirit in may and they kept all passports. Those not needing a schengen visa got them back 3-4 days before the end of the cruise while those with a schengen visa only got them at last pet on disembarkation day

Sent from my SM-G850Y using Tapatalk

Purchased the 2 device unlimited VOOM Surf and Stream

Speed test.net has the ping at 670mS

Download speed at 3.79 Mbps

Thanks for the report. Those numbers should stay about the same throughout the cruise.

Here is a photo of rhapsody sailing out today (Curtesy of a wonderful cc poster). You may be able to see yourselves on the aft. :)

b8c48ed885920898d49a449d4a82271a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be me. :D I am on the next voyage on July 15.

Is that thing about the passports related to Turkey or is it for all sailings? Last time I cruised I sailed from Barcelona in 2011 but many things have changed in 5 years. They never took our passports but we did need to show them in Croatia because it was not EU back then. But it was just hold them up with the photo page visible in the tour bus and some immigration officer came into the bus and looked at each passport but they were not checked or verified in any way.

Day 2 8AM

Just observation

The Purell police are out in force. I guess nobody informed them that Purell does nothing to combat Noro. Maybe it's just for psychological aspect and overall cleanliness.

Guy in yellow vest standing over and near the pool. Lifeguard?

Another crew member walking around to enforce Chair Hog time limit. Around the pool only.

Someone asked about condition. Not sure how to respond. We haven't sunk yet, so I'm thinking she's in great condition. The staff is very friendly. Lights are all working. It doesn't have that run down part of town feeling, so I guess she's doing okay.

Briefings and announcements are done in English, Spanish, Italian, French, and finally German.

People from all around the world seem to be more in touch with the upcoming Presidential vote in the US than I am.

I'm both amazed and ashamed. The default language spoken is English. I can barely say yes, no, please, and thank you in different languages.

On that topic, if you have a smart phone, check out Google Translate app. You can type or speak into it and it will translate into any language. Has a speaker function for you to listen to the translation. You can also use your phones camera and it can real time translate (think menu)

Heading to guest services to ask about passport question.

Follow up

Ship takes all non EU passports due to port stop in Turkey

While walking down to Guest Services I noticed that they are providing child size vests near the pool towel hut.

I also noticed a couple of blow up pools near the main pool for babies and toddlers.

When we cruised on Radiance back to Sydney from Honolulu in Sept 2014 the ship held our passports, I presume because we were going through Tahiti and NZ, we got them back a day or so before arriving in Sydney.

No Craps table

3 Roulette tables

1 Caribbean Stud

1 3 Card Poker

1 Texas Hold Em table (not like TV Texas Holdem)

3 Black Jack (3:2 payout on Black Jack)

1 Black Jack with lucky ladies

Tight slots. Penny and quarter only (wont even let you play for a while, just take) so far

So excited you are doing this!! I board on July 25 and we have a stop in Turkey so interesting about the passports. Also interested in the internet speeds as I may have to get some work in (gotta pay for the next one!).

Hopefully the slots loosen up for you! Happy sailing!

Thanks for the posts. We are sailing from Venice next year. Where did you stay in Venice pre-cruise?