Left Ashore??

maltcan

Over many years, we have helped an awful lot of folks (primarily here on CC) who asked for advice and specific instructions how to do ports on their own. DW and moi seldom take tours, although we still cruise regularly on 6 continents. Most recently, we completed a 55 day HAL cruise that went to 31 ports (in Europe) of which we did zero tours. In every port we did our own thing whether it was just staying in the port, taking trains, using rental cars, or local/regional buses.

When folks ask us for help, and they mention they are very concerned about missing the ship (like the OP) our usual advice is, "take the ship's overpriced excursions." We all have our own levels of risk tolerance and some folks are simply too risk adverse to be able to enjoy independent (or even private tours) travel.

In about forty years of extensive cruising, we have done our own thing at hundreds of ports...sometimes traveling hours from the port. In all that time (having spent more then 3 years on ships) we have never missed a port (knock on wood) although we have come close a few times. Like most independent travelers we usually do our pre trip homework and usually have a "Plan B" and even a "Plan C" which is what we do when things go wrong. Even if we were to miss a ship (in many places) we have a plan on who to contact (usually the ship's agent) and how to catch the ship at the next port.

Hank

Just wondering if one of the ports you have done on your own was St. Petersburg. That is the one port that one sees universal recommendations to take a private tour. By the time you factor in the money, time, and hassle involved in obtaining a Russian visa, it is probably no more expensive to take a private tour. And the private tour operator can get your group around the large lines at places like The Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, etc.

Just wondering if one of the ports you have done on your own was St. Petersburg. That is the one port that one sees universal recommendations to take a private tour. By the time you factor in the money, time, and hassle involved in obtaining a Russian visa, it is probably no more expensive to take a private tour. And the private tour operator can get your group around the large lines at places like The Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, etc.

Funny you should ask about this particular port since we will be making our 2nd visit in a few weeks. But about 15 years ago we first visited St Petersburg on an overnight stop of the Maasdam. DW and I actually applied for personal visas a few weeks prior to the cruise....so we did have Visas. Of the approximate 1500 passengers on our cruise, only 4 of us had our own Visas and did our own thing. DW and I spent two days going to many places (including grabbing a hydrofoil (that departed from across the street of the Hermitage) all the way to Peterhof where we spent several hours of a beautiful Sunday afternoon. When we visited the Hermitage (around opening time on a Sunday morning) we met a US Diplomat (visiting from Moscow) in the queue...and the 3 of us hired an enterprising private guide (who approached us while we were waiting in the queue). Our guide took us to the front of the line and in the entrance reserved for Russians. He got us in the museum for the Russian admission fee (less then $1 at the time) and gave us a fabulous tour (also taking us to the Impressionist collection (our passion) no normally visited by most tours)). We had a wonderful two days...although being on our own did cause a minor problem when our taxi (from downtown) was not permitted to enter the port (our driver had not paid the usual bribes for entry). But after some discussion...the gate guards called an Officer who drove us back to our ship in his official vehicle. Was actually a lot of fun.

But in a few weeks we are returning for our 2nd visit, and we decided that it does not make much sense to pay the big bucks for a personal Russian Visa (not to mention the hassle). So we have booked a private 2 day tour with TJ Tours (a local private tour company) which actually cost us less then a Visa.... Just like the cruise line excursions, the licensed Russian tour companies cover their customers under a Group Visa. Some cruise lines (including HAL) do try to scare passengers into booking only the overpriced (and crowded) Cruise Line Excursions....but it is quite easy to book the far less costly (and less crowded) private tours from companies such as TJ, Alla, SPB, etc. I would add that another port where we think a private tour (for a first time visitor) is a good idea is Kusadasi. A first time visitor to Ephesus will really benefit from having an excellent tour guide. To us this meant booking our own personal guide (and van) for just the two of us....at a cost that was actually less then the large group tour sold by our cruise line. We also lucked-out with that private tour...since our guide happened to be friendly with the curator or Ephesus (another story unto itself). On subsequent visits to Kusadasi we have gone to Ephesus on our own, and also rented a car (during an overnight visit) and drove several hundred miles in the region (to places like Didyma, Miletus, Priene, and to the village of Tire).

But, when it comes to St Petersburg we now think that a Private Tour is the way to go.....primarily because of the cost savings versus obtaining a private Visa. That being said, if not for the Visa issue...DW and I would quickly be off the ship on our own....with no tour.

Our personal philosophy, regarding travel, is quite simple. We only take tours if we cannot reasonably do what we want on our own. Our reasons are also simple. DW and I enjoy doing our own thing, when we want, with whom we want. We have never liked being herded around like cattle, and often being dragged to venues solely because they give a kick-back to the tour company or guide (this is the case with many shops and restaurants used by tours). We also like to go at our own pace...which will often include a long lunch (or dinner when in overnight ports) at a desirable cafe/restaurant. While we acknowledge that tours can be wonderful, it is generally not our thing.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Do NOT attempt to use a cell phone for the time...it will show local time which may not be the same time that the ship is on!

If you know how to use your phone, that won't happen. Just read the manual ;)

Funny you should ask about this particular port since we will be making our 2nd visit in a few weeks. But about 15 years ago we first visited St Petersburg on an overnight stop of the Maasdam. DW and I actually applied for personal visas a few weeks prior to the cruise....so we did have Visas. Of the approximate 1500 passengers on our cruise, only 4 of us had our own Visas and did our own thing. DW and I spent two days going to many places (including grabbing a hydrofoil (that departed from across the street of the Hermitage) all the way to Peterhof where we spent several hours of a beautiful Sunday afternoon. When we visited the Hermitage (around opening time on a Sunday morning) we met a US Diplomat (visiting from Moscow) in the queue...and the 3 of us hired an enterprising private guide (who approached us while we were waiting in the queue). Our guide took us to the front of the line and in the entrance reserved for Russians. He got us in the museum for the Russian admission fee (less then $1 at the time) and gave us a fabulous tour (also taking us to the Impressionist collection (our passion) no normally visited by most tours)). We had a wonderful two days...although being on our own did cause a minor problem when our taxi (from downtown) was not permitted to enter the port (our driver had not paid the usual bribes for entry). But after some discussion...the gate guards called an Officer who drove us back to our ship in his official vehicle. Was actually a lot of fun.

But in a few weeks we are returning for our 2nd visit, and we decided that it does not make much sense to pay the big bucks for a personal Russian Visa (not to mention the hassle). So we have booked a private 2 day tour with TJ Tours (a local private tour company) which actually cost us less then a Visa.... Just like the cruise line excursions, the licensed Russian tour companies cover their customers under a Group Visa. Some cruise lines (including HAL) do try to scare passengers into booking only the overpriced (and crowded) Cruise Line Excursions....but it is quite easy to book the far less costly (and less crowded) private tours from companies such as TJ, Alla, SPB, etc. I would add that another port where we think a private tour (for a first time visitor) is a good idea is Kusadasi. A first time visitor to Ephesus will really benefit from having an excellent tour guide. To us this meant booking our own personal guide (and van) for just the two of us....at a cost that was actually less then the large group tour sold by our cruise line. We also lucked-out with that private tour...since our guide happened to be friendly with the curator or Ephesus (another story unto itself). On subsequent visits to Kusadasi we have gone to Ephesus on our own, and also rented a car (during an overnight visit) and drove several hundred miles in the region (to places like Didyma, Miletus, Priene, and to the village of Tire).

But, when it comes to St Petersburg we now think that a Private Tour is the way to go.....primarily because of the cost savings versus obtaining a private Visa. That being said, if not for the Visa issue...DW and I would quickly be off the ship on our own....with no tour.

Our personal philosophy, regarding travel, is quite simple. We only take tours if we cannot reasonably do what we want on our own. Our reasons are also simple. DW and I enjoy doing our own thing, when we want, with whom we want. We have never liked being herded around like cattle, and often being dragged to venues solely because they give a kick-back to the tour company or guide (this is the case with many shops and restaurants used by tours). We also like to go at our own pace...which will often include a long lunch (or dinner when in overnight ports) at a desirable cafe/restaurant. While we acknowledge that tours can be wonderful, it is generally not our thing.

Hank

Very interesting take on St. Petersburg. HAL is not the only cruise line that attempts to tell you that your only option is their tours or a private visa; Princess did the same with us.

We used Alla and can also recommend SPB as our Alla guide opened SPB tours the next cruising season. I looked for others to join us from our roll call, and the 10 of us on the tour bonded very well. Working with Alla, we were able to modify the tour (a synagogue added at the request of one and extra time in the Hermitage at the request of my art teacher DW). As we started the tour, our guide asked if there was anything else anyone was interested in, and when I said I had read that the subways were interesting, she modified the tour by taking us on the subway. The ability to modify the tour is another advantage that private tours have over the large cruise line tours.

You mentioned the problem getting back to the port on your own. How about leaving the port? It is an industrial port, and I do not imagine there are a lot of taxis waiting for the very few passengers who have gone to the trouble of obtaining a Russian visa.

As other posts, a local operators' reputation would be ruined if they failed to get a group back on time.

I have never ever seen on Cruise Critic a single post about a private tour group missing their sailing. Plenty of instances of individuals on DIY who foul-up, mainly due to drink[/quote

I agree. In all my years reading here I have not once read of someone on a private tour missing the boat.

When I organized a private tour to Cairo and the pyramids from Alexandria the company guaranteed they would get us back or make arrangements to look after us. They got us back a couple hours ahead. I thought that was too cautions but others with me were very relieved.

Edited by maryann ns

We have taken the same tour twice in Belize, cave tubing. The tour owner makes it clear that if we miss the last tender, he will take us to the ship via his own boat. I asked how often they have done this and he said 'Never'. I believe him because he checked his watch frequently.

If you know how to use your phone, that won't happen. Just read the manual ;)

Not so easy for technophobes like John Bull :D

And whenever I need help with technology I get much better help from other users on web-blogs than I do from folk like Microsoft or Apple. ;).

I think the need for help with technology is the reason that six-year-old kids were invented. :D

JB :)

...Having read this board for more than a decade, I've never once heard anyone talk about anyone missing the ship because a private excursion was late. Not one. I have, however, heard of individuals who were shopping or drinking and missed the bus. And I have heard of individuals who went out on their own and didn't make it back -- but tour guides take great, great care to get you back on time...

This is the most astute comment in this whole thread. I'd love to hear from somebody (anybody) that could personally report on what happens when a private tour returns late. Nobody ever does because it must be virtually unheard of. OTOH - we've all seen plenty of pier-runners who have lost track of time while out on their own - not the same thing at all.