Diamond and Drink Package -- Good Deal or Not?

Would like to hear from those who are Diamond or have CL access and have purchased a drink package in terms of whether you were happy or not.

We are on a 14 night cruise, 6 sea days. There is a 20% discount on the Select package (wine/beer/soda) bringing it to ~$40/day. I would normally get the soda package at $8.50/day.

So, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get the wine/beer alcohol package for $30/day more given that I already have Diamond and CL benefits. Last time w/o the package, I avoided drinking outside of the "freebies" and spent very little. I took a free glass of wine to dinner but would have liked to have a second. Would like to have had a beer or two while on the pool deck -- but had this aversion to paying as I went (and the bartenders looked at me strangely for being one of the very few w/o a package).

As noted, it's beer/wine only. Don't care about water, juice, specialty coffees, frozen drinks, etc. I must have my sodas, so definitely will get the soda package.

I know no one can tell me whether it's "worth it" for me but am curious if other Diamond or suite passengers have or have not bought a package and whether they loved it or regretted it.

Thanks!

DW is hangover-proof so we get her a drink package, which RCL tends to lose money on ;) I get a soda package as usually the Diamond Drinks and CL are fine for me.

We are loyal Celebrity cruises and just booked two Royal cruises.

We are elite on X and now diamond on Royal. We never buy the beverage packages, since we enjoy the happy hour, don't drink soda, expensive coffee or bottled water.

Also, we rarely drink alcohol until happy hour. Our normal alcohol bill for a 14 day cruise is about $250 total for both of us. We drink mainly wine and after happy hour about two more glasses. No way would we buy the packages.

I will say this, if we did buy a package, it would be the select package for beer and wine.

The drink menu may vary slightly by ship. If you don't see the Beringer White Zin on the menu, be sure to ask. I'd be surprised if they would not allow it as it is one of the least expensive wines on board.

I'm amazed that it isn't on the D+ gift list. Doesn't show up until 340 point level. :eek:

Surprised so many people are such good tippers. Each drink , beer , water etc includes a twenty percent gratuity and then you add an additional dollar plus in cash. If you purchased a package they add twenty percent gratuity to the price of the package . Seems to me that makes for a forty percent plus your cash on drinks. . Bartender explained this to me on the Jewel.

D+ here, never bought a package because I don't see value in it. I may buy a drink card if it covers two sea days. As far as the lounge drinks and the vouchers, always pass around the greenbacks. Overall a very small expense. It's also fun to tip other staff, Heck, I've even tipped a captain or two. That's a hoot. ;)

DW is hangover-proof so we get her a drink package, which RCL tends to lose money on ;) I get a soda package as usually the Diamond Drinks and CL are fine for me.

At the price RCI buys their booze at, they're not losing money on anybody.

Can I get a cold bottle of water at any bar with the 3 drinks loaded on my card at happy hour?

Bottles of water are not included in the drinks allowed via the vouchers. You might find someone who is willing to give you a bottle, but I'd not count on it.

On the Allure my under 18 aged (diamond level) son was allowed to get a soda during diamond hours at several bars.

That was nice of them, but it's not a universal perk.

Order bourbon on the rocks, hold the bourbon, extra rocks.

Anyone can get a glass of tap water with or without ice for free from any bar or restaurant. I took the poster's question as asking for bottled water.

Not a big drinker, but I do enjoy the diamond lounge and the vouchers. I have this question though... besides a version of a Mai Tai and a Mojito and a baileys, what kind of drinks can be enjoyed with the menu? I have had nice bar tenders that will also do a version of a dirty banana ( i think that is the drink) or a dirty monkey....HELP.... it is suppose to be kaluha and baileys but they just make it with baileys.

Then I have had horrible bar tenders who refuse to do a simple Mai Tai or the Mojito as a frozen drink. Nothing more is added but it is blended. Someone on our last cruise said they know the bar tender and went and got it for me. So how do I get this done? Do I go directly to the bar in a lounge with some dollar bills and put it on the bar and ask????

Not a big drinker, but I do enjoy the diamond lounge and the vouchers. I have this question though... besides a version of a Mai Tai and a Mojito and a baileys, what kind of drinks can be enjoyed with the menu? I have had nice bar tenders that will also do a version of a dirty banana ( i think that is the drink) or a dirty monkey....HELP.... it is suppose to be kaluha and baileys but they just make it with baileys.

Then I have had horrible bar tenders who refuse to do a simple Mai Tai or the Mojito as a frozen drink. Nothing more is added but it is blended. Someone on our last cruise said they know the bar tender and went and got it for me. So how do I get this done? Do I go directly to the bar in a lounge with some dollar bills and put it on the bar and ask????

Pretty strict on nothing frozen, just how it goes. Your best bet for something a little tricky, but not frozen is the lounge. Some of the lounges have a special drink.

Freedom CL was doing peach martini a while back

Anyone can get a glass of tap water with or without ice for free from any bar or restaurant. I took the poster's question as asking for bottled water.

I drink a lot of water all day and night. Usually I just pick one up at windjammer or park cafe. One morning I left the bathroom door open, filled my glass from the bathroom sink to take my dramamine. Set the glass down before taking the pill & flipped on the light. The water was brown.:eek: No more bathroom sink water for me! The Evian package is large warm water. Too heavy for me to carry around. $19 a day + tax + tip I think is a ridiculous amount to spend for a few 50 cent bottles of water a day. Do you know how much the bar charges for a bottle of cold water? I think two or three a day from the bar might be the best way to go.

I drink a lot of water all day and night. Usually I just pick one up at windjammer or park cafe. One morning I left the bathroom door open, filled my glass from the bathroom sink to take my dramamine. Set the glass down before taking the pill & flipped on the light. The water was brown.:eek: No more bathroom sink water for me! The Evian package is large warm water. Too heavy for me to carry around. $19 a day + tax + tip I think is a ridiculous amount to spend for a few 50 cent bottles of water a day. Do you know how much the bar charges for a bottle of cold water? I think two or three a day from the bar might be the best way to go.

I believe the 500ml bottles are around $2 each.

I also am a bit lost on the convenience factor. Either way you pull out your seapass and you get a drink. In one case the drink is pre-paid in the other case it ends up on your credit card. It is simply a financial decision based on how much you drink, what you like to drink and its cost.

And where you like to drink. We enjoy spending an hour or so in the lounge, but then prefer to move on to another location. I don't like the red wines served and am likely to head to Vintages for something better, so I'm going to be paying for those glasses plus whatever we decide to have with dinner. With the way they have jacked up wine prices in the last year, a package is starting to make more sense on a cruise of 7 or fewer nights and/or when the ports are of less interest (or there are a lot of sea days). If they still allow one to purchase the package toward the end of the cruise (I once read you could buy it until four days from the end), I may try it out on the second half of our TA, when we'll have five consecutive sea days.

And where you like to drink. We enjoy spending an hour or so in the lounge, but then prefer to move on to another location. I don't like the red wines served and am likely to head to Vintages for something better, so I'm going to be paying for those glasses plus whatever we decide to have with dinner. With the way they have jacked up wine prices in the last year, a package is starting to make more sense on a cruise of 7 or fewer nights and/or when the ports are of less interest (or there are a lot of sea days). If they still allow one to purchase the package toward the end of the cruise (I once read you could buy it until four days from the end), I may try it out on the second half of our TA, when we'll have five consecutive sea days.

Yup. As long as there are four or more days left in your cruise, you can buy for the rest of the cruise.

:)

Yup. As long as there are four or more days left in your cruise, you can buy for the rest of the cruise.

:)

Have you ever been offered a drink card onboard? Can you tell me how it works. I don't think it's always available but I see people talking about purchasing them sometimes.

Have you ever been offered a drink card onboard? Can you tell me how it works. I don't think it's always available but I see people talking about purchasing them sometimes.

On Vision, it was 10 drinks for $79 or $84. A punch card you could share with whoever you liked. Eligible drinks were the same as in the Premium package.

Edited by clarea

Note that you can also take your own water bottle and fill it at the windjammer, sorrentos, or any bar if you just ask for a glass (or two) of water. (Just don't fill the bottle directly, put it in a glass and then pour it into your bottle.)

Order bourbon on the rocks, hold the bourbon, extra rocks.

That reminds me of a scene in a movie. I think it was Five Easy Pieces.

Jack Nicholson tried to order toast and the waitress told him the restaurant didn't have such an order. So he ordered a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich and said hold the bacon, hold the lettuce, hold the tomato and hold the mayo.