Diamond and Drink Package -- Good Deal or Not?

Going on the Oasis for the first time on 9/3. I'm a diamond member. Do they have a lounge or is it the 3 drinks at the bars only?

There is a Diamond Lounge, entrance on deck 11 near the aft centrum.

Going on the Oasis for the first time on 9/3. I'm a diamond member. Do they have a lounge or is it the 3 drinks at the bars only?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a Diamond Lounge, entrance on deck 11 near the aft centrum.

And it has a nice view of Boardwalk but no outside seating. I much prefer the lounges on Voyager/Freedom class ships where you can sit outside.

We are diamond and also in suite but still get drink package, I do not like the choice of wine/liquor included in diamond and suite lounges. WE are on a 12 day cruise in September with only 3 sea days and bought package due to 20 percent off, we always have 2 glasses of wine at dinner and a few drinks after.

People also think the drink package gives them freedom to try new things. However in my experience (actually my wife's) when she doesn't like a drink they almost always insist bringing her something different she will like. So no risk in trying new stuff when we pay as we go. just an FYI to anyone not on a drink package.

a131a7532cfcbe3cca7682d2012fb7e5.jpg

This is the drinks menu in the DL, champagne also available but not listed.

Hours of lounge usually 5-8:30.

As many drinks as you want in the lounge, and 3 drinks (same menu) available at most bars on board during the same hours. Useful if you are still out by the pool or drinking with non-D friends.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Really limited selection. No Red Stripe at all. Unacceptable.

We're Diamond and suite cruisers and we always buy the drinks package. We prefer to drink exactly what we want and for more than a few hours in the evenings. The convenience factor for us is having drinks paid for before we sail. We actually prefer to sign the receipt so we can add an additional tip without carrying cash. We rarely go in either lounge and never in the evenings when they are so crowded. Just our preference.

Can someone explain how it is convenient to prepay for something? If I buy a shirt or any other product is it convenient to pay for it a few months in advance? I just don't get it. Particularly for those that say they sign for all the drinks either way. Now it may be a better deal if one drinks a lot but how is it a convenience? Am I missing something? I personally find it less stressful buying as I go than paying $400 up front for something.

Can someone explain how it is convenient to prepay for something? If I buy a shirt or any other product is it convenient to pay for it a few months in advance? I just don't get it. Particularly for those that say they sign for all the drinks either way. Now it may be a better deal if one drinks a lot but how is it a convenience? Am I missing something? I personally find it less stressful buying as I go than paying $400 up front for something.

It's a psychological thing and not explainable. I'd rather hold on to my money as long as possible, but I know there are many others that don't think that way.

It's a psychological thing and not explainable. I'd rather hold on to my money as long as possible, but I know there are many others that don't think that way.

Makes sense. Just wondering if I was really missing something here. Had a package a couple years ago and loved it but convenience wasn't the reason. It was because we saved by having the package. I was wondering if something actually changed. I guess what people mean is they like knowing they won't rack up a bigger bill than what they pre pay. Which simply means they are hedging their downside risk and hoping they will profit (to use economic terms) by buying the package.

I wouldn't call paying for a drink package today vs. the day of embarkation more convenient. It may very well be more expensive on the ship. Why risk it when I know I am going to buy it anyway?

And if I paid ala carte for all the drinks I have on a cruise it would be much more than the cost of the drink package so it makes little financial sense to not purchase it.

I don't like exiting the ship and getting a bill so I also prepay gratuities. I wouldn't call that more convenient either. It is just nice to me to budget and pay up front so I don't step off the boat and get socked with a huge bill.

If I check my on board account on day 7 and see less than $20 -- I like that.

I wouldn't call paying for a drink package today vs. the day of embarkation more convenient. It may very well be more expensive on the ship. Why risk it when I know I am going to buy it anyway?

And if I paid ala carte for all the drinks I have on a cruise it would be much more than the cost of the drink package so it makes little financial sense to not purchase it.

I don't like exiting the ship and getting a bill so I also prepay gratuities. I wouldn't call that more convenient either. It is just nice to me to budget and pay up front so I don't step off the boat and get socked with a huge bill.

If I check my on board account on day 7 and see less than $20 -- I like that.

This makes a lot of sense and I suppose what most are trying to communicate. I guess the word convenience is probably being used incorrectly and most mean they like knowing the total cost which is a budgeting issue. I usually assume about $500 for drinks for the wife and I and we never seem to go over and I'm happy when we are significantly under. Being diamond helps keep it quite low on some of the days. Other days we might spend $100 total on top of diamond hour drinks but never that much each day seven days straight. So I am able to budget for us quite easily either way.

I (the OP) bought the Select package at a 20% discount. I don't drink "hard" liquor or coffee. Thus, decided this was the best package even though my wine selection will be limited.

I'm trying it even with lounge access for the following reasons:

1. Want to be able to order wine during dinner and not have to carry a glass from a bar or lounge -- and get a second glass if I so desire w/o having to go out and in.

2. Ease of ordering a beer at lunch or while at the pool.

3. Ease of having something after 8:30 pm.

4. Have lots of sea days.

I'll try to keep track of costs and report back whether I "broke even" and, even if I didn't, whether the "convenience factor" outweighed the add'l cost of the package -- at least for me personally.

Thanks for all your replies.

Not convenient per se, but many times the price of something will go up and people who prepaid will get "grandfathered" into the old, lower price.

I struggled a bit with the same question....Last cruise I didn't get a package and was fine with it, but DH did get the Select package for the soda and for beers while hanging around at the pool.

This time around I ordered the Premium package for myself and the Select again for DH. We aren't huge drinkers but I'd like to have a couple of frozen drinks during the day and order wine with dinner without having to bring it in on my own using my Diamond voucher.

Does anyone know if it's possible to cancel a package after 2 or 3 days if it turns out to not really be needed?

I struggled a bit with the same question....Last cruise I didn't get a package and was fine with it, but DH did get the Select package for the soda and for beers while hanging around at the pool.

This time around I ordered the Premium package for myself and the Select again for DH. We aren't huge drinkers but I'd like to have a couple of frozen drinks during the day and order wine with dinner without having to bring it in on my own using my Diamond voucher.

Does anyone know if it's possible to cancel a package after 2 or 3 days if it turns out to not really be needed?

It is possible to cancel, but I don't know what the limit is as far as number of days into the cruise.

Here is the info:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3651

I am always on the fence on this. I can usually do better if the lounge is not a mosh pit by getting a drink or two there, using my vouchers, and paying for anything else as I go. I do enjoy the freedom (not really convenience) the premium or ultimate gives me to try new things. Don't like a drink, no loss... Not such an important factor on the beer package. Some do complain about the limited beer selection in DL and D vouchers, such as no Bud Lite, so that may me an issue if your beer of choice is not on the menu.

I am not sure if I would ever do a package on a 14 day cruise. On a 7 day Caribbean cruise I can turn back the clock and act like I'm still in college. Over 14 days, I prefer to take a break every few days to let my liver come up for air, so I would never see a cost benefit to a package. Gotta drink 14 days straight - can't turn it on and off...

Edited by Doug S

I agree that where people are using the word convenience that it has to do with budgeting and the final bill rather than saving time getting drinks on the ship. If someone is saving up money for a cruise, it's 'easier' to work toward a fixed cost (i.e. the package price) versus saving money and trying to guess six months if you'll want to have one or three $10-$12 margaritas on the evening of day 3.

I understand how people want to go into a cruise having everything paid for, while others prefer to hold onto their money as long as possible. It depends on what works best for how you personally manage your finances.

In one respect I think the package is less convenient. I like to get a few beers or cocktails and go sit on our balcony at night. A package makes doing so very inconvenient since I can get only one drink at a time. (I fully understand why they won't give me more than one each trip.)

I don't like to pre-purchase a package since I've in the past boarded with a cold and not feel like drinking anything for several days. Aside from that I've always come out ahead. I use it as a means to try new drinks and bartenders have no problem getting something else right away if I don't like what I ordered.

Last cruise pushed us over the diamond threshold, so now there's the lounge/3 drinks to add into the mix. I had seen some talk on here about C&A diamond and above getting a package discount but I thought it was *only* on Ultimate. As I recall it seemed to only be available on some cruises or only if people specifically asked about it. We're going in November, so I was planning to ask about it in October since a lot can change by then.

Edited by ewenix

We always buy the package as it is worth it to us and we are D+. When Royal had Cruzan Mango the Premium pkg was worth it for me as I liked having a Mango/sprite zero after drinking beer during the day.

Now, however, they don't carry the Cruzan Mango and I don't like very many types of hard liquor. So while hubby still gets the Premium Pkg, I have downgraded to the Select. Still gets me my diet coke included and as I drink very little other than beer, it is perfect for me.

If I do want a mixed drink at night, I have my 3 vouchers.

So I save some by just getting the Select over the Premium.

Diamond and suite cruisers, and we still get the package. Purchased in advance for our upcoming cruise to get the 20% discount. (I pulled my paperwork from past cruises to compare prices, and it really was a good deal!) We get the Ultimate because we take advantage of the specialty coffees/teas, as well as bottled water.

I've done the Premium package while D+ and with a full suite. It was entirely worth it for me, but I'm a bit of an "alcohol snob". The vouchers and lounge drinks are not the kind of things I'll drink, so they are wasted on me.

I'm a drinker, so the package is economical for me. However, if I were the kind of person to hang out in the lounges and have 3-5 drinks or hit a bar and use the 3 vouchers, I'd have trouble staying within the Alcohol Policy, Guest Conduct Policy, and making the package economical. Maybe on sea days. Taking full advantage of the "freebies" and making the package economical is a lot of drinks (not judging, just saying).

We tested the Ultimate Package on Enchantment 4day the past two weeks..

1st week, July 11th, with Ultimate..20% off...40%off Wine over $100.00...for 4 days..Our results:

We had a total blast..brought back the Ol' College days with all new drinks that we had never heard of...We never got off the ship and we missed all the shows and events except for a karaoke and the great Centrum "70's Party"..(Macho, Macho Man seemed appropriate for us and how I was feeling at the time.)

Panther did discover a new drink called 'Red Velvet Cake" at R Bar that she still raves about and Capt. Morgan with Coke was big hit as well...however

We did not drink enough to cover the $530.00+- total cost, but we were close..

What we did do was take advantage of the 40% off wine over $100.00 by buying three bottles of Caymus "Special Selection", bringing 2 bottles home and drinking one on ship at Chops and other eating venues..

What would have been $188.00 per bottle with tip ended up at $113.00pb saving approx. $225.00..which was close to 1 full Ultimate Package price, so all in all , we were ahead at end of week..

2nd week July 18th, results..No Ult.Package, just an agreement that we would not hold back..I did make sure we brought Alka Seltzer this time tho..(My old school hangover remedy)

We took advantage of the Diamond (3 free) and had plenty of RV Cakes and My fave from R Bar, "Death by Chocolate Collins", few beers, few Morgan and Cokes as well as a couple other drink of the day's..in the end , we were under $200.00 for the 4 days and we were not wanting for another drink after the 8 day test..

We did do the Chef's Table wine pairing, which was amazing and enjoyed it more than the 150 on both Allure and Oasis that we have done 3 times..We did not ask if the Ultimate would have gotten us an additional discount at this venue..but we had already gotten a discount from $70.00 to $50.00 each..

Our conclusion.. and much to our disappointment, I might add, we are no longer able to close bars and make bartenders say "uncle"...ULTIMATE Drink Packages are designed for the young, as both Panther and I agree that "back in the day" RCL would have to either raise the price or drop it all together..was a fun test tho..The soda package does work for us..(I feel like I have surrendered to only my memories of the "Good Ol Days")...sigh!

As a side note, The first week the 40% bottle discount was printed and copied by me, (at the encouragement of Bob here on our boards) and I had to show it to the Bar manager to convince them that it was in place when I signed up for the package..so they honored it..

The next week, the printing was changed on the website and said "wine bottle under $100.00"..their mistake or our good timing I guess..Either way I took advantage of their promotion.

In the end, we conclude that the Ultimate does not meet our needs at our age.

BTW. this is good thing for us to know as our next cruise is 14 days in a couple months

Diamond here. I always buy the top tier package for several reasons.

First, I almost never frequent the lounges. I understand some people like them, but to me, they feel like hanging out in an airport lounge. I do enough of that when I travel.

Second, I want to order whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. That is part of vacation to me.

I do STRONGLY prefer not having to sign a chit. To me, that is a big appeal with the package. So I tend to leave it and walk away.

Diamond here. I always buy the top tier package for several reasons.

First, I almost never frequent the lounges. I understand some people like them, but to me, they feel like hanging out in an airport lounge. I do enough of that when I travel.

Second, I want to order whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. That is part of vacation to me.

I do STRONGLY prefer not having to sign a chit. To me, that is a big appeal with the package. So I tend to leave it and walk away.

That's pretty much how we feel. Maybe if they expanded the selection for the vouchers, we'd feel otherwise.