Majesty of the Seas in her heyday!

With so many posts about the nostalgia of the "old" days of cruising, I thought I would post a link of this promotional Majesty of the Seas video circa 1995 that I came across. No flowriders, no iFly, no royal promenade, and funny enough no kids (in the video that is). The video definitely does a great job of romanticizing the cruising experience of the early 90s, grant it...not that long ago in the grand scheme of life. I wonder where the cruising industry will be in another 20 years.

Step into the time capsule.

https://youtu.be/YeRhTGxpRIM

With so many posts about the nostalgia of the "old" days of cruising, I thought I would post a link of this promotional Majesty of the Seas video circa 1995 that I came across. No flowriders, no iFly, no royal promenade, and funny enough no kids (in the video that is). The video definitely does a great job of romanticizing the cruising experience of the early 90s, grant it...not that long ago in the grand scheme of life. I wonder where the cruising industry will be in another 20 years.

Step into the time capsule.

https://youtu.be/YeRhTGxpRIM

Pic doesn't load on my iPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use to watch that stuff back in the day and could only dream about going on a cruise. I remember I use to tell the wife back then that we are going to do that one day! Our first cruise was on Sovereign Of The Seas...Loved it! :cool:

Just curious, when was the last time a Sovereign class ship did a 7 (or more) day cruise for Royal?

Roy

Might have been when Monarch came back from the west coast in 2008.

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories of our Majesty cruise in the late 90s. Such a HUGE ship then! Oh my, those midnight buffets :eek: Two story WJ, no specialty restaurants. One of our best cruises but oh that inside cabin was tiny.

Edited by BonTexasNY

We've cruised on Sovereign-class ships several times, including 7-nighters in the 1990's. Back then, who would have imagined where ship designs would go? I still prefer the smaller ships.

Loved seeing this video. Brought back a lot of great memories. I wonder if anyone recognized themselves in that video. Now THAT would be a hoot!

Just curious, when was the last time a Sovereign class ship did a 7 (or more) day cruise for Royal?

Roy

The Majesty has done and maybe still will do a longer Bahamas cruise for the holidays. If your question is more aimed at when they stopped their weekly 7 day Caribbean runs, I believe (someone will definitely correct me) the Majesty ended with the introduction of the Voyager and Explorer (1998/1999). The Monarch continued her Southern Caribbean run from San Juan until the Adventure was introduced in 2001.

Edited by GatorWop

Wow....thanks for posting that! Majesty was my first cruise (my wife had been on a few before with her parents), and I wasn't sure if cruising was really for me. We did a 3 night quickie to see if I liked it. Before the cruise was over, we had already booked our next one:) The rest is history......

Great memories.

Thanks for the link! We were on Majesty western Caribbean in 1994 and again in 1995. I just dug out our old videos (VHS :)) last week. I remember those yellow ship shape t-shirts and those ship shape dollars. Did not get any of those though. Cruising was more of an adult pursuit back then as evidenced by the very small kids area on the ship in those days. The MDR food was more like the up charge restaurants are now. Much higher quality. Midnight buffet every single night. Formal nights were formal. I admit that we don't enjoy the dressing up as much as we used to, but it was nice back then. Sort of like a grown up prom night. We actually prefer the size of the Majesty and see no need for giant TV screens when you are sailing the Caribbean, but we are old school I suppose. We did enjoy our sailings on the Mariner and Freedom, but I doubt we ever go on the Oasis or newer ships. We just prefer a ship that is more about being at sea to a floating amusement park/strip mall. Anyway, thanks for the memories!

Nice find!

It's really interesting to see what was remodeled a LOT vs some that were barely tweaked in the last 20 years.

For the long time cruisers- was the Monarch similar in decorations to the Majesty at the time?

If it was, much of it changed before 2001, when we had our first cruise on the Monarch. The WJ was quite different- tables and chairs, that two story fountain, etc. I don't remember seeing that much neon in 2001, too.

Other places are quite similar even today- the Schooner bar is quite close to that in terms of color and tables.

I know the lounges all changed between 2001 and 2009 when we got back on the Monarch the second time. Many of the names and themes changed in that time.

Lots has changed, and I also expect a lot more to change. Especially as tastes change, some of the decor will continue to evolve.