Don't be afraid of Istanbul!

We had a wonderful tour day in Istanbul on 6-9-16. I fear however that we may have been among the last ships in. We were on the Royal Princess and it canceled its next stop as did many others after the airport bombings. Will look to see whether any other lines as well as princess make their next scheduled stops.

I was in Istanbul on a Saturday in September 2015, between stops on a business trip. I arrived at Topkopi Palace when it opened in the morning - there were no lines. By the time I went through the Harems areas, there was what looked like a 30 minute line to see the Treasury - see photo

IMG_3497-M.jpg

After having lunch near the Topkopi Palace, I headed over to the Hagia Sofia. It probably took about 30 minutes to get through the security line. I already had a museum pass so was not waiting to buy a ticket.

Here is the line to see the Basilica Cistern. This photo was taken in the afternoon.

IMG_3515-M.jpg

I'm curious to know you observations of how crowded the main attractions are compared to a normal year in Istanbul. I've read that tourism is down in Istanbul about 30% or so. Could you tell that tourism was down? In other words, how long did you have to wait to get into the major tourist sites?

Edited by Mercruiser

We went early to Hagia Sophia...0900 no line at all... When we left about 1100 it was much more crowded . No line at all for the cistern ever...topkopi palace was only crowded in the afternoon.... We were there 2 days before Ramadon.... But the city didn't seem overly crowded...we never waited for anything....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in Istanbul the first week of June (that is before the airport terror attack) and I can tell you while there were tourists milling around the numbers were substantially less than when we were there September 2015. The manager of our hotel told us tourism was off 70 percent. So I imagine now it has fallen off even more. So sad!

Thanks for sharing. We're scheduled for an overnight there in October on Holland America's Koningsdam. So far, HAL hasn't cancelled. :rolleyes: Your pics and narrative have me looking forward to it even more.

Nobody is afraid of Istanbul, just that the situation is a bit overheated now. Istanbul is a great city. We'll return there someday and had a cruise with an original sailing out of Istanbul scheduled next summer. The cruise line recently said that it will be changing out of the Turkey ports and we're great with that. There will be other opportunities to see Istanbul in the future.

Just today, there is news of a military uprising there. Safe travels to those who are keeping their travel plans there.

Edited by hubofhockey

To Karan ( Nursemom2 )

Great review & photos of your trip. We shared many of the same experiences on our cruise down the coast of Turkey a few years back. We enjoyed it so much we did a 10 day land trip to the interior of Turkey 2 years ago. Sad how things have changed. Thought I would share a couple of experiences going inland.

We visited Cappadocia for 3 days. Great sites, super food, & home of the Fairy Chimney Rocks.

2030_edited-1_zpsbo17lsl7.jpg[/img]

Cappadocia is known for their hot-air balloons. Sometimes 80-100 balloons in the air at one time. They start before sunrise & float around for 2-3 hours.

2026_edited-1_zpssxv818qj.jpg[/img]

Lots of pictures from the balcony of the hotel we were staying in for 2 days. Did manage to stay in a cave hotel room 1 night. It was excellent.

2648_edited-1_zpsf2184ha7.jpg[/img]

Pamukkale This means White Terraces. This like no other place we have visited & now is a Unesco World Heritage Site.

2635_edited-1_zpsr4wpuxdv.jpg[/img]

Big crowds totally an international group. You can walk up from the bottom or walk down from the ruins at Hierapolis. These are calcium rich hot springs.

Waters are proclaimed to have healing & wellness value.

2714_edited-1_zpsasdjeo9r.jpg[/img]

Locals refer to these walls as " Cotton " They are absolutely this color thru the entire walk. Yes it was slippery in some places, the walk is 45-90 minutes. These pools are not deep & everyone seemed to be having a good time. There is security along the route to ensure people have their shoes off & stay in the designated areas.

We will miss Turkey...

Loved your review, John

Until we're told by the Dept of Foreign Affairs in Australia not to travel to Turkey, (it's currently 'reconsider your plans to travel'), we still intend to visit there in early Aug for 8 days before flying to Athens to pick up our Viking cruise. We will be vigilante, but after what has happened in Nice, Bangladesh and the huge amount of shootings in the US, we're happy to take our chances.

I agree, luvtheships. I posted about the situation in Turkey being unstable 2 weeks ago and was blasted for fear mongering. I love Turkey and its people and have family living there. It has lovely people, beautiful scenery. However the country is politically unstable, ruled by a dictator who is stamping away the rights of the people and there are terrorist factions like PKK and ISIS operating there. When people say it is safe, it is like a person standing on thin ice. It has nothing to do with how nice the people are. They work hard and deliver a fine package. The sights are memorable. But when the political climate is as volatile as it is in Turkey right now, you can't predict what is going to happen

I agree, luvtheships. I posted about the situation in Turkey being unstable 2 weeks ago and was blasted for fear mongering. I love Turkey and its people and have family living there. It has lovely people, beautiful scenery. However the country is politically unstable, ruled by a dictator who is stamping away the rights of the people and there are terrorist factions like PKK and ISIS operating there. When people say it is safe, it is like a person standing on thin ice. It has nothing to do with how nice the people are. They work hard and deliver a fine package. The sights are memorable. But when the political climate is as volatile as it is in Turkey right now, you can't predict what is going to happen

I agree! Turkey is spectacular but now is not the time to visit.

Prayers to the people and it's beautiful country.

I am one of those folk who reported on my personal experiences in Turkey, when I visited this past May. I hoped my report might help someone make the decision right for them. I value all CC opinions, but I make my own decisions. And am responsible for them. I would never consider someone's actual experience "worthless". I hope people continue to share them.

I am one of those folk who reported on my personal experiences in Turkey, when I visited this past May. I hoped my report might help someone make the decision right for them. I value all CC opinions, but I make my own decisions. And am responsible for them. I would never consider someone's actual experience "worthless". I hope people continue to share them.

Yes, good report. But May was May, and July is July. Things happens and changes fast.

Best advice: Listen to the travel advices from the government in the county where you live, and follow that advice.

up plans wherever and whenever I travel regardless of political climate

It's just good common sense

Good posting!

I was about to advice bringing extra CASH, but I see that you already covered that part.

- Double/triple check your travel insurance, and KNOW what it ACTUALLY covers!

Good posting!

I was about to advice bringing extra CASH, but I see that you already covered that part.

- Double/triple check your travel insurance, and KNOW what it ACTUALLY covers!

Exactly regarding insurance

I not only buy it immediately for the pre existing issue but now for the terrorism issue

Unfortunately some policies only cover the terrorism clause if you buy it within 14 days of deposit

I always buy mine ASAP anyway

To dogs4fun

Thank you for your comments.

Turkey has been a great country of interest both along the coast & inland. We took many photos & created some DVD'S with music & captions to help us remember all that we encountered.

It is unfortunate that current events will hurt tourism & a lack of visitors. There is so much more to enjoy than just Istanbul.

1600_edited-1_zpsfvj8yffu.jpg[/img]

2191_zpskehzp6cv.jpg[/img]

1745_edited-1_zps5kuzk9n8.jpg[/img]

2368_zpskjixaydv.jpg[/img]

Happy Travels, John

Just got back from 3 days in Istanbul and did a port review on my family blog....

Take a look for helpful hints, and beautiful pictures of this lovely Port..

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing that. Istanbul is now another (oh no not more!!) place on my "to go" list. It is quite high up on that list too, but sadly maybe now is not the right time to go.

Edited by ollienbertsmum