Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

WOW! Lots of differing opinions, which is great.

I work in the hospitality business and my comments about younger travelers were based on my experience, with no offense meant.

My point was simply Celebrity is changing for me too much in the wrong direction. Again, for me. If you love the changes - awesome!

I would normally be so excited over the Edge project. Not so much now.

In my business attracting new customers is certainly important, but having repeat customers tells me I'm doing something right.

WOW! Lots of differing opinions, which is great.

I work in the hospitality business and my comments about younger travelers were based on my experience, with no offense meant.

In my business attracting new customers is certainly important, but having repeat customers tells me I'm doing something right.

Well said and so true. There are many very traditional restaurants that have been in business for decades where it still takes weeks if not longer to reserve a table.

NO OFFENSE to anyone but this is my personal opinion of Celebrity and how it is changing. As to if it is changing for the better or worse, only time will tell.

-------------------------

If a restaurant or hotel has been doing great for years and wants to attract a new generation, throwing out 50-60 % of the existing menu or changing a large percentage of the policies seems just a bit rash..

It may not be what everyone is looking for in a place to eat but a place like the Peter Luger Steakhouse reinforces what (russg140) stated above.

After about 60 years of serving basically the same few items on their menu with basically the same type of service and ambiance they have absolutely no problem satisfying their repeat customers or creating new customers simply by doing what they have been doing from the 50's to today.

Yes, there will be those who want meals prepared with liquid nitrogen, burgers made with soy and lentils, i-pad menus and want places that are more glitzy and hip but just like a cruise there are plenty of options out there that offer every type of experience from White Castle to Luger's.

If you have a loyal following as Celebrity has and has had for many years maybe there is a different way to attract new passengers in smaller steps or simply by going back to what made it a cruise experience that exceeded, or attempted to exceed one's expectations with excellent service, food, amenities and ambiance.

I know several of our younger family members who have been introduced to places like Charley's when in their teens, now out on their own head back when they want something special.

When we started cruising, only 16 years ago Celebrity described itself with words like exquisite, exceptional, luxurious, unparalleled, pampered, lavish and terms like pampered pleasures, comfortable sophistication, award-winning cuisine, truly upscale and savor the voyage where every meal becomes an event ( and this was not just for the "specialty venues" which were not common or on all ships. )

Maybe the above words and phrases were a bit of advertising hyperbole but from our one or two cruises a year, most of them on Celebrity, they did try and often hit the mark back a few years ago. Gone are a lot of the things that backed up the above claims like the little things no longer on the bathroom counters, the obvious reduction in staff that is one of the main reasons for the decline and then there is the need to use specialty venues to get what in the MDR was for decades "an event" not just a meal.

Sure, X did cost a little more but it was worth it for what to us was a once or twice a year event.

Now for the same price or less than the competing lines you can often find a Celebrity cruise.

Newer X ships have no real distinction in stateroom size until you get into the butlered suite class. The M class concierge staterooms had a few extra square feet in the cabin as well as on the veranda not just a footstool.

Aside from the enormous passenger capacity and the amusement park entertainment a Celebrity cruise is no different that a Royal Caribbean cruise.

You have to ask for ice in your room, forget water pitchers.

For dining to be an event you must book a specialty venue.

Our last two cruises (2015-2016) on Celebrity were no different, aside from the bar staff which was excellent, than the last two on Royal Caribbean. Food was about equal, service was down on both from what it was like in the past due to reduced staff except at the tables pushing specialty packages.

We do have 2 more booked and I am sure we will enjoy them, but as much as in the past????

I know we are but a drop in the ocean to Celebrity after the next two we may look to another line.

bosco

As someone in her mid-30's, I find some of the disparaging remarks about people in my age bracket rather rude. There are a lot of different types of people in the age group and to clump us all together as one is ridiculous.

Yes, I am money conscious - I have to be as my salary is not as high as I would like and I live in a "high rent district". Yes, I have student loans, but I also made really smart moves to get them consolidated at a low interest rate. I also save my money and carefully budget and plan. Yes, I enjoy more adventurous vacations. However, that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy a Celebrity cruise. As a single person, my greatest challenge is finding someone to go with me due to so many preconceived notions. Some of the changes that X has been undergoing have helped me to convince one of my closest friends and best travel buddies to give X another try, so I am appreciative of that.

Truthfully, I would like to see X add more varied entertainment options such as more live music, more comedians, piano bars, and figuring out a way to get more people partying at night. I don't know all the answers, but what I do know is that in January my entire family is going on a cruise to celebrate my Grandmother's 90th birthday. Celebrity fits the bill for a group of us aged 1 to 90. No other cruise line fit all of our needs. Will I go searching for my adventure? Yes - jet skiing in Grand Cayman and look for something else in another island.

Life is about finding balances and Celebrity is trying to find theirs. In order to continue, they cannot rely solely on one demographic. They absolutely have to appeal to more than one age group.

I have to totally agree with you.:)

Such an interesting thread. We're technically millennial but are on the cusp of that and Gen X. For a career, I do work that includes advising businesses on multi-generational workplace issues so this is of extra interest to me. I should mention that we are pretty loyal to X after "graduating" from RCCL when we were younger in our 20s. We enjoy the feel of X ships (though the S class is our favorite, M feels darker/more "confined") and are more about the destinations and onboard experience with food and drink than the quirky features of the ship itself like water slides and rock climbing walls on RCCL.

Some things to think about (from the perspective of a millennial, not necessarily my own):

• social aspect of vacations. it's not about the tangible souvenirs, it's about the out-of-the-ordinary experience (and sharing that experience with your family/friends/social network). Internet/phones are not optional but are part of the deal. As others said, having a hard-to-navigate and use website and then charging a lot for internet onboard is off-putting. From a millennial perspective, by seeing "celebrity ilounge" they'd expect a social space to meet with others and interact, not a bunch of computers sitting there and people using them in silence.

• wanting to be at the center of attention, but in a good way based on "merit." I remember a few years back Celebrity doing a whole theme about making you the star. I thought this missed the mark. millennial "stardom" is made online through generating compelling content (and getting others to like or share it) or through networks of influence, not pretending you're famous.

• flexibility/customization. speaking to the whole "i can get anything I want right now" mentality, why should I need to go to dinner at a set time (or as others have mentioned, breakfast during a narrow window).

Contrary to some beliefs, millennials (as a whole group in general) have a very world-conscious view and more so than previous generations, those who want to travel and understand the world do (many I know are very well traveled at a young age), and want to contribute positive things to the world both with volunteer/service and a career, usually for organizations who can tell a good story about how they are changing the world for the better or make the world a better place. A millennial in the US is more like a millennial in Europe than a Boomer in the US. This is a product of the internet, globalization, etc.

I could go on but figured I'd spare everyone for now :D

Edited by socalsun26

Truthfully, I would like to see X add more varied entertainment options such as more live music, more comedians, piano bars, and figuring out a way to get more people partying at night. I don't know all the answers, but what I do know is that in January my entire family is going on a cruise to celebrate my Grandmother's 90th birthday. Celebrity fits the bill for a group of us aged 1 to 90. No other cruise line fit all of our needs. Will I go searching for my adventure? Yes - jet skiing in Grand Cayman and look for something else in another island.

Life is about finding balances and Celebrity is trying to find theirs. In order to continue, they cannot rely solely on one demographic. They absolutely have to appeal to more than one age group.

I also wish they would do something with their entertainment; it's one area that appears to be lacking greatly.

For the poster that commented only retirees can cruise on the itineraries which are longer than 7 days, I have to beg to differ. It may be the case that the US workers only have 10 days vacation leave per year, but in many other countries this is not the case ;). The majority of our cruises are 11 nights or longer (if they were only 7 days or less, we have completed a B2B) and I have a couple of decades to go before I retire. Our children (teens) cruise with us and have done so on all our sailings. Perhaps in a couple of years they may cruise with friends and return to Royal or try something completely different (they have the travel bug) - we will then probably try Azamara.

Edited by villauk

Briefly, those of you who feel alienated, what are the SPECIFIC changes you think X is making to try to lure millennials? Because to restate my earlier point, if they're trying they're doing it wrong. Just to toss out a random example, I'm smack in the middle of Gex X, and I saw Rock City in December. The most recent songs in that show were about 20 years old, and most were much older. Meaning, they there was playing songs from my childhood and before I was born, and I'm still older than this target demo you think they're going after.

The live duo in the lobby was doing Buddy Holly and such. And this was on a five day Carribean.

The website and assorted tech, as we know, is a joke.

Specifics, please.

(I'm not a cruise industry expert by any means, but the line I can see actually scooping up the millennials in a few years is Virgin.)

OK kind cruisers, need some help with this thread. If you recall the OP's thesis statement was, "Then the bottom fell out, and it became clear that Lisa Lutoff-Perlow was moving Celebrity in a new direction: try to attract younger customers to cruising. Hook them in now and they will be with you for life".

There were several posters that agreed with the OP and many that offered examples of changes they thought were hurting X or driving them from X to others. But there were no examples of specific changes rolled out that LLP intended to attract younger cruises at the expense of the loyal cruiser.

Then AdoraBelle posted (see above) to try to get specific examples. Again, there were no examples of changes to attract younger cruisers. For example, I'm not thinking removing free bottled water for AQ was designed to attract younger cruisers :-).

So, please, those that think LLP is out to chase us Boomers and our parents off in order to replace us with younger cruisers.....Please list out the changes that us Boomers hate but younger cruisers love.

Sorry for the ramble...but from reading the board over the past six months or so I really think there is the perception out there that LLP is the Wicked Witch of the West, wants us loyal cruisers to die off, and structure a business model to attract younger cruisers after our exit. I don't see it, so please help me out.

Cheers,

OHP

So, please, those that think LLP is out to chase us Boomers and our parents off in order to replace us with younger cruisers.....Please list out the changes that us Boomers hate but younger cruisers love.OHP

OK I've got one. Replacing live music with DJ loud, blaring music in the atrium so you can't speak with anyone at the nearby venues.

but from reading the board over the past six months or so I really think there is the perception out there that LLP is the Wicked Witch of the West, wants us loyal cruisers to die off, and structure a business model to attract younger cruisers after our exit. I don't see it, so please help me out.

Queen Lisa doesn't necessarily want to chase off the old farts but wants to add more to the bottom line by cutting costs. If chasing off the expensive Elite/Elite Plus perk suckers saves money, the more the better. The younger ones don't get what's been cut yet.

Thus to use a metaphor, a person who's never tasted steak loves the flavor of hamburger and is happy.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

OK I've got one. Replacing live music with DJ loud, blaring music in the atrium so you can't speak with anyone at the nearby venues.

Queen Lisa doesn't necessarily want to chase off the old farts but wants to add more to the bottom line by cutting costs. If chasing off the expensive Elite/Elite Plus perk suckers saves money, the more the better. The younger ones don't get what's been cut yet.

Thus to use a metaphor, a person who's never tasted steak loves the flavor of hamburger and is happy.

Wait till you see the new two story (well, maybe a story and a half) speakers out at the Summit pool. You can't speak to anyone out by the pool now ither. The music was LOUD!!!

Wait till you see the new two story (well, maybe a story and a half) speakers out at the Summit pool. You can't speak to anyone out by the pool now ither. The music was LOUD!!!

:eek: not to mention I'm on deck 11 of the Summit aft, just below the new movie venue! OK I did mention it. :D

OK kind cruisers, need some help with this thread. If you recall the OP's thesis statement was, "Then the bottom fell out, and it became clear that Lisa Lutoff-Perlow was moving Celebrity in a new direction: try to attract younger customers to cruising. Hook them in now and they will be with you for life".

There were several posters that agreed with the OP and many that offered examples of changes they thought were hurting X or driving them from X to others. But there were no examples of specific changes rolled out that LLP intended to attract younger cruises at the expense of the loyal cruiser.

Then AdoraBelle posted (see above) to try to get specific examples. Again, there were no examples of changes to attract younger cruisers. For example, I'm not thinking removing free bottled water for AQ was designed to attract younger cruisers :-).

So, please, those that think LLP is out to chase us Boomers and our parents off in order to replace us with younger cruisers.....Please list out the changes that us Boomers hate but younger cruisers love.

Sorry for the ramble...but from reading the board over the past six months or so I really think there is the perception out there that LLP is the Wicked Witch of the West, wants us loyal cruisers to die off, and structure a business model to attract younger cruisers after our exit. I don't see it, so please help me out.

Cheers,

OHP

The story and half speakers out by the POOL. So loud you can't talk to the person sitting right next to you.

The casual chic dress code.

The new martini bar menus. 99% are very very sweet.

I like to think of myself as a 'young' 60 year old. My husband and I loved our first X cruise six years ago. We were hooked. Ditching formal night for evening chic only made it better for us.

The music entertainment seems to be aimed at our age group. Looking around the theater, there were mostly white haired passengers clapping and toe tapping along to Beatles' music and classic rock. While I enjoyed it, I'd like to see X mix it up a bit, with music that appeals to younger people. The surest way to become an old foggy is to live in the past and refuse to open your mind to anything new.

I have noticed a few cut backs that were of little consequence and the addition of things we do enjoy. Our next cruise will cost less than our first cruise of comparable value, once all the discounts and perks are added in. No complaints from us.

ETA - I'd also love an extended breakfast, later lunch and late night DJ in Quasar.

Edited by Marelaine
added comments

I like to think of myself as a 'young' 60 year old. My husband and I loved our first X cruise six years ago. We were hooked. Ditching formal night for evening chic only made it better for us.

The music entertainment seems to be aimed at our age group. Looking around the theater, there were mostly white haired passengers clapping and toe tapping along to Beatles' music and classic rock. While I enjoyed it, I'd like to see X mix it up a bit, with music that appeals to younger people. The surest way to become an old foggy is to live in the past and refuse to open your mind to anything new.

I have noticed a few cut backs that were of little consequence and the addition of things we do enjoy. Our next cruise will cost less than our first cruise of comparable value, once all the discounts and perks are added in. No complaints from us.

ETA - I'd also love an extended breakfast, later lunch and late night DJ in Quasar.

I like the mix of music...but does it need to be so dang loud out by the pool? Everyone around us were complaining. It also became VERY loud in Revelations lounge when they wanted cruisers to leave for the night

The story and half speakers out by the POOL. So loud you can't talk to the person sitting right next to you.

The casual chic dress code.

The new martini bar menus. 99% are very very sweet.

I can see your point on the speakers...but I'd think there are plenty of boomer that appreciate the change. Just like there are plenty of younger cruisers that want to converse with their friends and family and hate the larger speakers.

Casual Chic was implemented to attract younger cruisers?? Really. From the threads here there are plenty of boomers and ggeners that are praising the change (not me..btw).

Sweet martinis. Not sure there is evidence that younger cruisers like sweet martinis at a higher percentage than the general cruising population.

Thanks for your message. We now have on a four page thread one example of a change that was believed to be put in place to attract younger cruisers.

Cheers,

OHP

Edited by okiehokiepokie

Regarding the music in the atrium....that would only be the case in S-class ships. No entertainment in the atrium on M-class. Your post got me thinking so I went back and looked at my dailies for the Silhouette and Equinox. Atrium entertainment didn't start until after 5:00pm. 80% of the time it was live music, 20% DJ. DJ shows were stuff like...Motown Hits, Back to the Beatles, Rock Around the Clock-the 50's, Piano Man-Billy Joel...not the kind of stuff, I would think that would attract cruisers in their 20's and 30's.

So, while many cruisers might not like the music (we do) I'm not thinking this was done by LLP to attract younger cruisers..as per the OP's thesis statement.

Cheers,

OHP

Edited by okiehokiepokie

Regarding the music in the atrium....that would only be the case in S-class ships. No entertainment in the atrium on M-class. Your post got me thinking so I went back and looked at my dailies for the Silhouette and Equinox. Atrium entertainment didn't start until after 5:00pm. 80% of the time it was live music, 20% DJ. DJ shows were stuff like...Motown Hits, Back to the Beatles, Rock Around the Clock-the 50's, Piano Man-Billy Joel...not the kind of stuff, I would think that would attract cruisers in their 20's and 30's.

So, while many cruisers might not like the music (we do) I'm not thinking this was done by LLP to attract younger cruisers..as per the OP's thesis statement.

Cheers,

OHP

I can't speak to S class ships yet since I haven't sailed them. They are on the horizon. On the Connie, I didn't mind so much the music as the volume. However I did prefer the live musicians though.

I can see your point on the speakers...but I'd think there are plenty of boomer that appreciate the change. Just like there are plenty of younger cruisers that want to converse with their friends and family and hate the larger speakers.

Casual Chic was implemented to attract younger cruisers?? Really. From the threads here there are plenty of boomers and ggeners that are praising the change (not me..btw).

Sweet martinis. Not sure there is evidence that younger cruisers like sweet martinis at a higher percentage than the general cruising population.

Thanks for your message. We now have on a four page thread one example of a change that was believed to be put in place to attract younger cruisers.

Cheers,

OHP

Okay, two more...

Sushi

Unlimited internet option

My two cents. Celebrity is doing what has to be done based on the branding they are trying to be consistent and true to. Whether or not they can be truly consistent to it based on market projections is a tough call though.

I'm in my mid 30s, and personally find it a little ignorant to think that 'we' are all burdened by debt and don't spend money on vacations or bursts or luxury that celebrity or any other company would not want to cater too.

I despise being nickel and dimed and would choose more high end lines than celebrity.. BUT I find the higher end lines boring and full of a demographic that, although lovely to have dinner and drinks with, would be all too sleepy for me to spend my X number of weeks vacation time with.

So the way I look at it, celebrity is trying to find the sweet spot for what my 'dilemma' is. The problem is you can't fill a 'big' ship up with [classyish] 30 something's alone without ostracizing the typical cruise demographic.. But if they don't go after the market, the generation will think there's nothing for them and will never take part.. And frankly put, older is getting older and won't be there forever. Same way south Florida country clubs are struggling for resales of 'club' membership at the lower upper end, so are the cruises.

So I found celebrrity suites a good compromise. Been enjoying them! I don't expect vegas do to the demographics.. But what they deliver on is a good attempt to keep an energy going past dinner time.

Big point, 'we' aren't all broke and 'we' are just as much of a future of the industry as the OP assumes they are. Happily pay up front not to be nickel and dimed.. And entertained.

My two cents. Celebrity is doing what has to be done based on the branding they are trying to be consistent and true to. Whether or not they can be truly consistent to it based on market projections is a tough call though.

I'm in my mid 30s, and personally find it a little ignorant to think that 'we' are all burdened by debt and don't spend money on vacations or bursts or luxury that celebrity or any other company would not want to cater too.

I despise being nickel and dimed and would choose more high end lines than celebrity.. BUT I find the higher end lines boring and full of a demographic that, although lovely to have dinner and drinks with, would be all too sleepy for me to spend my X number of weeks vacation time with.

So the way I look at it, celebrity is trying to find the sweet spot for what my 'dilemma' is. The problem is you can't fill a 'big' ship up with [classyish] 30 something's alone without ostracizing the typical cruise demographic.. But if they don't go after the market, the generation will think there's nothing for them and will never take part.. And frankly put, older is getting older and won't be there forever. Same way south Florida country clubs are struggling for resales of 'club' membership at the lower upper end, so are the cruises.

So I found celebrrity suites a good compromise. Been enjoying them! I don't expect vegas do to the demographics.. But what they deliver on is a good attempt to keep an energy going past dinner time.

Big point, 'we' aren't all broke and 'we' are just as much of a future of the industry as the OP assumes they are. Happily pay up front not to be nickel and dimed.. And entertained.

My first cruise was in my early 30's and I loved it. Now it is beginning to feel like going to Disneyland. (trying to say it as nicely as possible)

I'll add two more..

Anytime / freestyle dining

7 day cruises to Europe (and the reason they first started the 3 day trips)

Ok, fine. Let us say that all three of those were put in place solely to attract younger cruisers (not likely). That's not aligned with the point the OP made, and agreed to by plenty of posters. How are any of those changes "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand". You're saying people are going to switch to Oceania because LLP is now offering Unlimited Internet? Really?

And regarding Bistro on Five...it is commonly stated on this board that very few to any passengers go there. We do, but only on embarkment day for a stress free lunch. So not seeing how Loyal Customers should feel they have given up SO MUCH to give the Gen Xer's "their" Fish Bait on Five.

So, please fellow CCer's ......help me understand what I am giving up by way of LLP's actions in order for her to attract younger cruisers. How, specifically, is she "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand" in her efforts to attract younger cruisers.

So far what we have is..... the large speakers at the pool area on some ships. What else is she doing to attract younger cruisers that is "destroying the brand"??

Cheers,

OHP

Ok, fine. Let us say that all three of those were put in place solely to attract younger cruisers (not likely). That's not aligned with the point the OP made, and agreed to by plenty of posters. How are any of those changes "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand". You're saying people are going to switch to Oceania because LLP is now offering Unlimited Internet? Really?

And regarding Bistro on Five...it is commonly stated on this board that very few to any passengers go there. We do, but only on embarkment day for a stress free lunch. So not seeing how Loyal Customers should feel they have given up SO MUCH to give the Gen Xer's "their" Fish Bait on Five.

So, please fellow CCer's ......help me understand what I am giving up by way of LLP's actions in order for her to attract younger cruisers. How, specifically, is she "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand" in her efforts to attract younger cruisers.

So far what we have is..... the large speakers at the pool area on some ships. What else is she doing to attract younger cruisers that is "destroying the brand"??

Cheers,

OHP

It once felt like you were going to the Bellagio and now feels like you're going to the Golden Nugget...imho

I like the mix of music...but does it need to be so dang loud out by the pool? Everyone around us were complaining. It also became VERY loud in Revelations lounge when they wanted cruisers to leave for the night

When we want quiet time by the pool, we go to the Solarium. The outdoor pool is noisy, and crowded on sea days and doesn't appeal to me. I miss the live music at the pool. The piped in music is overused in my opinion, but others must have enjoyed it because the loungers were full.

I've never been on Summit, assuming Revelations Lounge is similar to Quasar on Solstice class ships? On our last cruise, I was surprised to see Quasar was actually being used. The DJ was playing songs from Grease, Flash Dance and other Broadway music.There was a large group of 40 somethings dancing and having a great time. The music was loud, but they seemed to be having fun. The DJ had a great rapport with them. It wasn't a place to sit and chat, but there are quieter lounges, as well as Café al Bacio for that.

Edited by Marelaine

When we want quiet time by the pool, we go to the Solarium. The outdoor pool is noisy, and crowded on sea days and doesn't appeal to me. I miss the live music at the pool. The piped in music is overused in my opinion, but others must have enjoyed it because the loungers were full.

I've never been on Summit, assuming Revelations Lounge is similar to Quasar on Solstice class ships? On our last cruise, I was surprised to see Quasar was actually being used. The DJ was playing songs from Grease, Flash Dance and other Broadway music.There was a large group of 40 somethings dancing and having a great time. The music was loud, but they seemed to be having fun. The DJ had a great rapport with them. It wasn't a place to sit and chat, but there are quieter lounges, as well as Café al Bacio for that.

I don't care how loud they have the music in the lounges...the pool area I can't understand. It has been loud for the past few years, but the new tall speakers are crazy loud.

She turned it into a booze cruise. A stroke of genius. The price of drinks were raised to outrageous prices then she introduced the drink packages which is a savings over the posted prices but still highway robbery. The value buyers didn't fall for it so they only bought individually, or not at all. The lemmings fell for it hook line and sinker. The big gain was that alcohol makes the average food taste better, the mediocre service acceptable, and loosened up the purse strings that made the shops, specialty restaurants, tours, and other services look like steals.

This was probably done to attract the next generation, but it appears that the older generation fell fo it also. Although money isn't a problem, we worked too hard to throw it away on drinks and related expenditures.

To get the best bang for their buck they should change the name to Celebrity Bar and Grill.