Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

She turned it into a booze cruise. A stroke of genius. The price of drinks were raised to outrageous prices then she introduced the drink packages which is a savings over the posted prices but still highway robbery. The value buyers didn't fall for it so they only bought individually, or not at all. The lemmings fell for it hook line and sinker. The big gain was that alcohol makes the average food taste better, the mediocre service acceptable, and loosened up the purse strings that made the shops, specialty restaurants, tours, and other services look like steals.

This was probably done to attract the next generation, but it appears that the older generation fell fo it also. Although money isn't a problem, we worked too hard to throw it away on drinks and related expenditures.

To get the best bang for their buck they should change the name to Celebrity Bar and Grill.

LOL! @Celebrity Bar and Grill.

Sadly, with most getting the bev package you now also have to watch what the bartenders pour. I don't like asking for a grey goose and they pour a bar brand if you don't watch. AND then lie to my face and say it is grey goose when I clearly saw him use the bar brand. My biggest pet peeve!!!

She turned it into a booze cruise. A stroke of genius. The price of drinks were raised to outrageous prices then she introduced the drink packages which is a savings over the posted prices but still highway robbery. The value buyers didn't fall for it so they only bought individually, or not at all. The lemmings fell for it hook line and sinker. The big gain was that alcohol makes the average food taste better, the mediocre service acceptable, and loosened up the purse strings that made the shops, specialty restaurants, tours, and other services look like steals.

This was probably done to attract the next generation, but it appears that the older generation fell fo it also. Although money isn't a problem, we worked too hard to throw it away on drinks and related expenditures.

To get the best bang for their buck they should change the name to Celebrity Bar and Grill.

Didn't the drink packages start under Michael Bailey?

Ok, fine. Let us say that all three of those were put in place solely to attract younger cruisers (not likely). That's not aligned with the point the OP made, and agreed to by plenty of posters. How are any of those changes "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand". You're saying people are going to switch to Oceania because LLP is now offering Unlimited Internet? Really?

And regarding Bistro on Five...it is commonly stated on this board that very few to any passengers go there. We do, but only on embarkment day for a stress free lunch. So not seeing how Loyal Customers should feel they have given up SO MUCH to give the Gen Xer's "their" Fish Bait on Five.

So, please fellow CCer's ......help me understand what I am giving up by way of LLP's actions in order for her to attract younger cruisers. How, specifically, is she "alienating loyal customers" or "destroying the brand" in her efforts to attract younger cruisers.

So far what we have is..... the large speakers at the pool area on some ships. What else is she doing to attract younger cruisers that is "destroying the brand"??

Cheers,

OHP

Thanks. This whole thread has me befuddled about what some people (or X) believe the younger generation is or wants.

True generation X-ers are staring down fifty. You don't mean them, do you?

Moneyed millennials are staring down 30. Do you mean them? I'm no market researcher but I work with Millennials exclusively, and my friends tend to be millennials just beginning to feel their spending power. They want working technology, craft beers, and good entertainment. They are, for the most part, out of their keg party/spring break years.

I have no idea what to do with the Miley Cyrus/twerking/sky is falling stuff.

Edited by AdoraBelle

The story and half speakers out by the POOL. So loud you can't talk to the person sitting right next to you.

The casual chic dress code.

The new martini bar menus. 99% are very very sweet.

This Oregon Trail Generation girl happens to like dressing up. What I wear on the "Evening Chic" nights has not changed from what I wore on the "Formal" evenings. My father no longer brings his tux, but does continue to wear a suit. I actually know people of my parent's age whose preference is to wear a "tux t-shirt". My mother's clothing has not really changed either. So the attractiveness of the lesser dress code seems to have nothing to do with age, but more to do with the person.

I'm also not certain what sweet martinis has to do with attracting a younger crowd. If you want to make a case for the beverage packages, I can buy that (pun intended). But sweet martinis? Are you kidding me?!?!?! For the record, I can't stomach a sweet martini. Both my best friend (age 29) and I prefer a Grey Goose (or Titos) Dirty Martini. Actually, the people I know that drink the sweeter ones, tend to be older than I am.

I really can't figure out volume issue to be honest. Not sure why louder is better unless you are in a club, which the pool certainly is not. However, this seems to be a ship to ship issue as we did not experience this on our recent Silhouette cruise. Also, if they are trying to cater to a younger crowd then getting the music to more of our age range rather than those older than me, would be a great place to start.

This has been a very interesting thread. We are both 51 and loyal X cruisers with our last trip on X in April 2016 and 3 more booked. I have to agree with with comments that ask what is Lisa specifically doing to attract a younger crowd. All we see is that she is reducing expenses and diminishing the quality of the line without making any improvements to keep current customers and attract new ones, regardless of the age.

The food quality in the MDR was far below what we have had in the past. The entertainment is the same old lackluster shows that we have seen for years. You eat too early at 6 or too late at 8 unless you are in a suite or paying for specialty dining every night. Internet speed was upgraded but the cost is unreasonable. The buffet was only partially open unless you arrive when they start serving. Don't think about sleeping in and grabbing a late breakfast....closed no omelet for you. All this,while paying a premium price.

Our next 3 trips could be our last on X. If Lisa wants to maintain current customers, and attract life long new ones, then it's time to make X what it was in years past - a step above the other lines, without the ultra luxury line prices.

For us, we want a website that works and online check in that uses all that information that we took the time to save in our profile. We want more than 2 power outlets in our room, we want quality linens and bath products. We want freestyle dining included in our booking price - we don't mind paying for it, but it also better have quality food. Finally, we want to have a choice of interesting things to do after dinner other than drink the night away or gamble. It's time to add quality entertainment, a comedy lounge would be great, and a variety of music. We see lots of wasted space that could be updated.

That would be the X line that any age group would like.

Edited to add: and stop taking us to ports on Sunday where 90% of the town is closed. I don't care if we spend Sunday cruising in circles.

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

The food quality in the MDR was far below what we have had in the past. The entertainment is the same old lackluster shows that we have seen for years. You eat too early at 6 or too late at 8 unless you are in a suite or paying for specialty dining every night

Hmmmm Select Dining ring any bells? And I don't think too many younger people think dinner at 8 is too late.

Well finally, we have made the leap. DH and I are in our early 60's Cruising with Celebrity since 2006 and becoming increasingly disenchanted with several aspects of my cruise which I have documented elsewhere, mainly food, overnight Caribbean Ports, noise, lack of quiet reading space and outside shaded areas away from pool, we decided to try another cruise line.

After reading reviews and finding a price that suits we plumped for Oceania, we still have one Celebrity cruise immediately following in February so will be able to make an informed comparison.

Being a foodie and cooking good quality products, particularly free range and organic meat, I could not fail to find issues with the basic produce on board. I also know how to cook a diverse range of dishes and Celebrity Chefs should be ashamed of themselves the dishes they present, with a name that bears no resemblance to that served. ie Moussaka that has no béchamel topping but is covered with grated mozzarella! Carbonara that has some strange liquid stock pured over and a poached egg on top! One example of many inconsistencies on the menu.

If food was a bit more upmarket and of moderate quality we would not mind but the low end offerings does not fit well with the image they are trying to create. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

We dont ask for much from Celebrity these days, my DH and I have given up attending most of the shows and while enjoying music while having a drink prior to dinner, we would frequently turn up as the band left and a gap before the next offering or we left as the music was so poor! We don't participate in activities on board, as they are only a means to sell something to sitting ducks. We cruise mainly at the start of the year to escape the winter and opt for land based holidays the rest of the year. Cruising takes us to the sun, we read books and go for walks and the occasional tour, what we would like is good food in a relaxed atmosphere. Don't say speciality dining as we have done that many times, and it is not very special but does give a slightly better quality product with very limited choice.

We sailed Azamara once before and might try again but we like to cruise the Caribbean from Florida Home Ports and Azamara have very limited selection for Jan/Feb.

All we see is that she is reducing expenses and diminishing the quality of the line without making any improvements to keep current customers and attract new ones, regardless of the age.

For us, we want a website that works and online check in that uses all that information that we took the time to save in our profile. We want more than 2 power outlets in our room, we want quality linens and bath products. We want freestyle dining included in our booking price - we don't mind paying for it, but it also better have quality food. Finally, we want to have a choice of interesting things to do after dinner other than drink the night away or gamble. It's time to add quality entertainment, a comedy lounge would be great, and a variety of music. We see lots of wasted space that could be updated.

That would be the X line that any age group would like.

Edited to add: and stop taking us to ports on Sunday where 90% of the town is closed. I don't care if we spend Sunday cruising in circles.

What WestCoastFlyer says!!!:D

It is not what LLP is changing or adding and crowing about (Celebrity Distinction - huh?). This new 'Distinction' branding as well as 'Modern Luxury' are being lost in the details! :mad:

It is the small detail things that they DON'T 'announce' like: not having enough sommeliers to cover the dining room and having them be bar waiters as well, less wait staff in the MDR so it feels more like a common restaurant, less (and lower quality) live entertainment around the ship in the evenings - we used to search out acts before/after dinner but they aren't worth the effort anymore, live entertainment by the pool has been replaced by a DJ most of the time who plays crap that by 22 year old daughter doesn't even get (might as well just use the elevator music), not enough wait staff at the pool during the day (even on sea days) so that the bar tenders at the pool bar are so swamped that it can take 30 minutes to get a drink, cheap pens in the cabins that fall apart when you try to use them, bath products that look like they belong in a motel, and more!

The remaining staff really make an AMAZING effort to pick up the slack and are doing the very best that they can, but it must be hard for them to see the decline and not be able to provide the attention to detail that they once were able to.

These are the little things that add up to the diminishing quality that I think people are feeling.

The quality that (at least up until now) kept us coming back to Celebrity.

AND FINALLY LLP: Most CC members do not give a rats's a$$ about land based entertainment! Up the entertainment on board! This new FAIL might have gone over better if you had paired the events in ports for pre/post cruisers!!!!!!

Edited by bbeltmom
Additional point added.

Briefly, those of you who feel alienated, what are the SPECIFIC changes you think X is making to try to lure millennials? Because to restate my earlier point, if they're trying they're doing it wrong. Just to toss out a random example, I'm smack in the middle of Gex X, and I saw Rock City in December. The most recent songs in that show were about 20 years old, and most were much older. Meaning, they there was playing songs from my childhood and before I was born, and I'm still older than this target demo you think they're going after.

The live duo in the lobby was doing Buddy Holly and such. And this was on a five day Carribean.

The website and assorted tech, as we know, is a joke. Is there a more crummy website? :(

Specifics, please.

(I'm not a cruise industry expert by any means, but the line I can see actually scooping up the millennials in a few years is Virgin.)

Rock City? I haven't been to lookout Mountain in years.:rolleyes: Those songs were not nearly old enough. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were more like 30-40 years ago.:eek:

OTOH, I know exactly how you feel. we started cruising in the early 90s (we are 65 now), and every cruise had at least two shows that were tributes to the WW2 generation. Nothing wrong with that, but that was our parents.

Slowly the music changed to the 60s then the 70s.

The music is really about the average age of the customer. Before long most of it will be rap. :eek:

It once felt like you were going to the Bellagio and now feels like you're going to the Golden Nugget...imho

Celebrity today is more like what Carnival was 15 years ago. Just a hell of a lot more expensive!

Our first cruise with Celebrity was quiet and serene by the pool most of the time. A few activities going on, some music playing, but nothing overtly annoying. It definitely converted us to Celebrity.

Our second cruise, I felt like I was on a party boat. LOUD music and tons of cruise ship personnel trying to get people involved with doing "something" other than relaxing by the pool.

My most recent cruise to Alaska was fine, but I had better times with Carnival on the previous two Alaska sailings I had taken. Celebrity didn't seem to go that extra mile in terms of keeping people abreast of what to keep an eye out for, while Carnival had announcements to assist people looking for whales, etc. We were told there was a naturalist on board Millennium, but we never heard anything from them.

Part of me is saddened that this is the turn that Celebrity has taken, but another part of me is happy because I have not invested a lot of sailing time and money with them. I can move on from them and not feel as if accumulating points towards Elite has gone for naught.

but another part of me is happy because I have not invested a lot of sailing time and money with them. I can move on from them and not feel as if accumulating points towards Elite has gone for naught.

Unfortuntaely we can't say the same. We started cruising Celebrity 15 years ago and then only cruised Celebrity for the next 13 years. We became Elite+ when they re-did the Captain's Club program and now we feel we are almost "stuck". I guess if the Celebrity experience continues to deteriorate the Captain's Club perks will not mean that much.

We have sailed on RCCL and receive Diamond perks. While some of their perks are nice I cannot get over the terrible food we had on the Explorer and Liberty. The Liberty MDR food was the worst food I've ever had. After that we sailed on Anthem and while the food was a big improvement over the other 2 RCCL cruises, we did not really like Dynamic Dining.

And yet another unannounced cutback! - The loss of the Luggage Valet program!!!!! (refer to post #83)

Even though you had to pay for it, it was well worth the charge for many of us!

WOW! Celebrity just doesn't get it anymore!

And yet another unannounced cutback! - The loss of the Luggage Valet program!!!!! (refer to post #83)

Even though you had to pay for it, it was well worth the charge for many of us!

WOW! Celebrity just doesn't get it anymore!

The tread about it says it was a supplier decision and celebrity is trying to find a replacement. Perhaps a bit premature to call it a cut back

The tread about it says it was a supplier decision and celebrity is trying to find a replacement. Perhaps a bit premature to call it a cut back

This just jogged my memory that Celebrity/RCCL also cut ties with the bus service they use to have going to Cape Liberty from Boston, Providence, Hartford, Bridgeport, etc. Not sure who/why it ended but there were many disappointed cruisers who had cruises already booked that needed to find alternate transporation. Maybe the bus company wasn't making enough money. I don't know what goes into these decisions.

IMHO the most significant change since Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has become President is the Corporate shifting emphasis from "loyalty" to Suite Passengers. This is understandable since past cruisers represent past revenue, while Suite passengers represent current or future revenue at a higher margin. I believe that most changes we see at Celebrity are the result of the shift.

A second change has been the recent move from Greek Captains to non Greeks. The last two Captains have been American and Italian. We'll see if this tend continues when the next new Captain is named.i

This just jogged my memory that Celebrity/RCCL also cut ties with the bus service they use to have going to Cape Liberty from Boston, Providence, Hartford, Bridgeport, etc. Not sure who/why it ended but there were many disappointed cruisers who had cruises already booked that needed to find alternate transporation. Maybe the bus company wasn't making enough money. I don't know what goes into these decisions.

They also cut the size of the martini glasses at the martini bar. All are now small. Makes it difficult to take a nice drink to dinner and knowing it is grey goose and not made with the bar brand.

They also cut the size of the martini glasses at the martini bar. All are now small. Makes it difficult to take a nice drink to dinner and knowing it is grey goose and not made with the bar brand.

We were SO disappointed by this change that on our May 29th Summit cruise we only went to the Martini Bar once before dinner. On past cruises we lived there, especially on the old M Class Martini bars.

It did cut down on our onboard spending. So I hope Celebrity is happy.

Tine Tine, if you are a foodie you are going to love Oceania. I have been on most of the luxury lines and Oceania dining is the best at sea. Hope you are going on the Riviera or the Marina their 2 larger ships. I would go on Azamara rather than go on their smaller ships. They are the same ships but better CC Perks go with Azamara. I am back on O Riviera in October and can`t wait. No noise at the pool, plenty loungers, all 4 specialty dining rooms are free. They let you bring on any liquor you want. Plus I have $600. OBC. Enjoy

We were SO disappointed by this change that on our May 29th Summit cruise we only went to the Martini Bar once before dinner. On past cruises we lived there, especially on the old M Class Martini bars.

It was very quiet on our cruise also. All three couples commented about it. All three couples also decided NEVER again on Summit. This was a very recent cruise and we all met o two years ago on the same ship. I'm so disappointed seeing Celebrity go in this direction. Even the 4:00 tea sandwiches were awful. A piece of bread with some red peppers placed on top and one other sad looking option. Who wants a piece of white bread with just peppers? AND soft serve ice cream was served only once during the cruise.

...and the photos are now one photo for $25.00. Crazy!!!!

Tine Tine, if you are a foodie you are going to love Oceania. I have been on most of the luxury lines and Oceania dining is the best at sea. Hope you are going on the Riviera or the Marina their 2 larger ships. I would go on Azamara rather than go on their smaller ships. They are the same ships but better CC Perks go with Azamara. I am back on O Riviera in October and can`t wait. No noise at the pool, plenty loungers, all 4 specialty dining rooms are free. They let you bring on any liquor you want. Plus I have $600. OBC. Enjoy

We too are looking at the Oceania. Thanks for sharing the "2 larger ships". Was it difficult to get reservations in the restaurants? Any other tips? :) Thanks!

Did you mean "M"? Isn't it just a wall plaque on M Class?

I liked the martini bar on Century and Mercury. Multi colored lights. At least it was different, and not in a Carnival way. Reminds me of the Mike Myers parody "Goldmember".

Sorry if I'm wrong.

I recall when Century first came out. I thought "cruise ships are getting way too big".

Edited by TomBeckCruise

Rock City? I haven't been to lookout Mountain in years.:rolleyes: Those songs were not nearly old enough. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were more like 30-40 years ago.:eek:

OTOH, I know exactly how you feel. we started cruising in the early 90s (we are 65 now), and every cruise had at least two shows that were tributes to the WW2 generation. Nothing wrong with that, but that was our parents.

Slowly the music changed to the 60s then the 70s.

The music is really about the average age of the customer. Before long most of it will be rap. :eek:

Accusing all millennials of listening to rap is the same as me accusing all Boomers of listening to the Grateful Dead. :)

Edited by perditax

Celebrity has gone downhill as have many of the cruise lines when it comes to food and service in particular. Many of the recent changes are to appeal to a young demographic but they are missing the most crucial points:

Young people and that includes even those under 45 do not have the luxury of taking a cruise that is longer than 10 days either due to time constraints or money

The majority of cruisers that are on the young side mostly cruise in the Caribbean.

Older cruisers (those 50 and above) are not their parents generation. They are more affluent and more fit and lastly are expected to have longer and healthier lifespans. They will cruise for many years many well into their 80s.

Older cruisers will prefer longer and more exotic cruises with more overnights outside of the Caribbean.

The simple solution is to treat the length of cruises differently as they will attract a different age profile. Cruises of a length of 10 days or more especially outside of the Caribbean should cater to an older crowd and those shorter obviously to a younger crowd.

A monolithic approach on all ships will not work when it comes to young vs. older passengers.

It is time for Celebrity to think outside the box and approach the problem from a perspective that weighs cruise length and geographic location.

Just my thoughts,

Rodan

It once felt like you were going to the Bellagio and now feels like you're going to the Golden Nugget...imho

When was your last stay at the Nugget? Of the 7 lines we have sailed, NONE are as low brow as the Nugget.

So which is it? In post #70 you compared X to Disney, which is the farthest thing from the Nugget there is.??

Edited by wallie5446

My daughter (34) grew up cruising with us exclusively on Celebrity and Princess. Now that she is married and working on Wall Street she doesn't like cruising because in her words:

- they have little to no decent music entertainment at night and it stops way too early;

- they like to sleep in in the mornings. By the time they head to buffet all the hot food is no longer served

- next is lunch at 3 pm (because late breakfast) and there is nothing but the grille, pizza or pasta open. How many days can you eat the same boring things

- the music by the pool is terrible. We have iPods, iPads and iPhones to listen to our own tunes. So turn off the music so it doesn't compete

- Quiet please, I am trying to nap by the pool. I'm hung over from drinking last night because there was nothing else to do

Ohhhh I could go on...I've heard all these complaints every time we suggest another family trip. But thought Lisa and her team might be interested in this feedback.

You don't need to be as young as 34 to to have these same thoughts.

i agree with them all

wasn't everyone young at some point?

i know its difficult to image some folks ever being young