Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

We're loyal X cruisers (1500+ CC points) and were on the "race to Zenith", tying to book as many long night cruises in top level suites. X introduced the Suite Program and we were excited. Then the bottom fell out, and it became clear that Lisa Lutoff-Perlow was moving Celebrity in a new direction: try to attract younger customers to cruising. Hook them in now and they will be with you for life.

Here's the problem: they don't have money (they are in student debt up to their ass) and what they do have they are NOT going to spend it on a cruise.

In the meantime you have alienated your loyal cruisers, who don't care about "Evening Chic" and all the nonsense that comes with it. Celebrity isn't RCCL. If we wanted that we would have stayed with RCCL.

So Lisa. Good luck to you and what you are trying to do. Watch your repeat business tank as Oceania, Seabourn and other lines pick up the loyal guests you ignored by trying to appeal to hipsters.

Hopefully Richard Fain will have the sense to realize how you have destroyed the brand and bring someone in to fix it. Until then, sayonara.

I think x will do fine with this change. There are many more youngsters who have their own money or family money to try X. They also have a tendency to spend more on board to boot bravo Lisa.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I think x will do fine with this change. There are many more youngsters who have their own money or family money to try X. They also have a tendency to spend more on board to boot bravo Lisa.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Interesting segment on the news tonight...whopping 40 percent of millennials currently receive financial assistance from their parents. Even those in their early 30s with jobs and spouses report receiving help with cell phone bills, health insurance, rent, or student loan payments.

Interesting segment on the news tonight...whopping 40 percent of millennials currently receive financial assistance from their parents. Even those in their early 30s with jobs and spouses report receiving help with cell phone bills, health insurance, rent, or student loan payments.

This is the age group the cruise lines are targeting? If mommy and daddy won't cough up more money, for cruises, what's Plan B?

This is the age group the cruise lines are targeting? If mommy and daddy won't cough up more money, for cruises, what's Plan B?

Plan B = Another credit card

Plan C = Wait out their parents expiry date.

Who's Cheech and Chong, do they work in the martini bar?

Please tell me you're not serious :rolleyes:

I think it is likely that Grandgeezer has them confused with bartenders on Carnival.:)

Honestly having a tough time stomaching the denigration of anyone under 60.

Never thought I'd see the cruise version of "get off my lawn!" Yet here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Right? And then they wonder why those of us under 40 don't want to sit at the tables for 12 in the main dining room!

That's why I love these threads. Love to hear the "Seasoned Citizens" doom and gloom laments about Celebrity. Very entertaining.

Exactly and yet Celebrity picked up I think 5 of the top 10 overall ships in CCs poll. Yeah, they suck :rolleyes:

Exactly and yet Celebrity picked up I think 5 of the top 10 overall ships in CCs poll. Yeah, they suck :rolleyes:

Exactly who is saying they suck? I just love it when people exaggerate to make a point, no matter what their age. People are expressing their opinions, & most in a light hearted way. Sorry if it doesn't meet with your, & others' approval.

Exactly who is saying they suck? I just love it when people exaggerate to make a point, no matter what their age. People are expressing their opinions, & most in a light hearted way. Sorry if it doesn't meet with your, & others' approval.

I'll let you research through 7 pages of whining about smaller martini glasses, this has been downgraded, that has been downgraded, food has been downgraded, blah, blah, blah,

I'll let you research through 7 pages of whining about smaller martini glasses, this has been downgraded, that has been downgraded, food has been downgraded, blah, blah, blah,

I've already read the posts. If you don't like the posts, don't read them. Why can't people have different opinions than you & express thrm without some wiseass adding nothing but blah blah blah?

I've already read the posts. If you don't like the posts, don't read them. Why can't people have different opinions than you & express thrm without some wiseass adding nothing but blah blah blah?

I like you so I'm not going to engage.

Honestly having a tough time stomaching the denigration of anyone under 60.

Never thought I'd see the cruise version of "get off my lawn!" Yet here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah. Not looking forward to the day I turn into this cliche.

The wheel turns, I guess.

Edited by AdoraBelle

I think that's exactly the point. We would like them to continue to be in the top. It doesn't seem to be heading that way...imho :(

I think that's exactly the point. We would like them to continue to be in the top. It doesn't seem to be heading that way...imho :(

Well the poll was 2016 so maybe wait a while to stick the fork in them. Michael Bailey , who interestingly was the subject of many threads like this, left at the end of 2014 so the fact that they have 50% of the best overall ships in 2016 shows they're doing something right

Edited by Cruise Junky

Well the poll was 2016 so maybe wait a while to stick the fork in them. Michael Bailey , who interestingly was the subject of many threads like this, left at the end of 2014 so the fact that they have 50% of the best overall ships in 2016 shows they're doing something right

These polls are meaningless without the data that lead to the ratings. How many people responded, what percent of cruisers responded? It's amazing that when a poll agrees with you it's gospel. If you don't agree, the sampling is so small it means nothing.

These polls are meaningless without the data that lead to the ratings. How many people responded, what percent of cruisers responded? It's amazing that when a poll agrees with you it's gospel. If you don't agree, the sampling is so small it means nothing.

I believe CC bases it on member reviews.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

Perhaps it's the numerous suggestions that younger people are worthless bozos who only have the ability to pay for vacations/rent/life due to the largesse of their older relatives. That does tend to create some generational resentment. It's amazing how through the magic of budgeting my household is able to pay our student loans and contribute to our retirement funds and go on vacation! Also I sometimes take my parents out for lunch! Who knew!

BTW, if X is really pushing to attract a 25-40 clientele, downgrading food and service is a bad plan. Everyone I know is also totally fine with not having Internet access on vacation since that means our jobs can't pester us. Cruising and camping are pretty much the only two vacations I can take and not feel obligated to field work emails for an hour or two every day I'm on "vacation."

I have no issue with people expressing opinions on the Internet but the level of ignorance in this thread is astounding. /endrant

I was the OP and I think this part of the comment from WVUFan is spot on. Richard Fain, CEO of RCCI, was the one that moved LLP from RCCL to X (presumably based on her success with the launch of the Quantum OTS). Whereas RCCI used to do an excellent job delineating between brands (RCCL: value/moderate, younger, family, active, more price sensitive, name brand conscious; X: premium, middle age and up, service oriented, epicurean, upscale, less price conscious; Azamara: super premium, small ship experience). Now, as WVF says above, the lines are being blurred. So we have to ask "Why?"

By moving X closer to RCCL I think the hope is that for slightly more money RCCL (predominantly younger) customers might jump to X, but in order to do so X (which has traditionally had a more "sedate" reputation) needs to change it's image. Hello "Modern Luxury", "Evening Chic", etc. Now the introduction of "Celebrity Distinction" including more overnights in port and events on land (potentially things that appeal to a younger traveler who wants to dive into a destination not just spend 6 hours there). Sorry, but when I book a cruise I want to CRUISE not go to the French Open or Mardi Gras in Rio thank you very much. So in these ways X is changing.

Yes there are lots of cutbacks - that's just a product of RCCL trying to remain profitable: the food isn't as good as it once was, the service can be spotty, etc. As someone above said "All the cruise lines are doing it." I would add "for the most part". But I started thread to help me understand whether it was me or whether others felt that X is headed in the wrong direction.

We, too, are looking at other lines. Oceania predominantly. We've already booked a cruise on Scenic Eclipse for 2019 to Antarctica. We want to cruise with a line that when they say "Welcome Back" makes you feel like they truly mean it. To me X is not so interested in keeping my business and are really making me feel that way.

If you want a cruise line that aims to be the Celebrity of yore, and that specifically is targeting 55+ passengers, consider Viking Oceans. Their first year had some teething problems and with only one ship their itineraries were limited -- but they are adding 1-2 ships a year until they hit 6 and have already talked about 10. They are offering more luxury (cabin size, included alcohol and excursions, upscale ambience) at a lower price than the competition -- if they deliver, they may eat everybody's lunch. [Then Virgin, if they ever start sailing, will steal the young crowd that Celebrity seems to be shifting toward. Maybe Celebrity would have been better off holding onto the Elite Plus passengers!]