NCL Refund Request

Responder

Name a business besides cruises that does something similar. Basically to make gratuities required and then disperse to employees as it sees fit.......

Would you like this done everywhere you go? Restaurants, hotels, department stores, gas stations... it sounds like you wouldn’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps you have never heard of "resort fees" at all-inclusive hotels.

I spend lots of money with lots of companies who take my money and then pass some of it on to their employees.

It happens all the time. Nothing retarded about that setup as far as I can see. It’s much easier for everyone, and I don’t mind one little bit. That’s why I just pay the DSC and get on with enjoying my holiday rather than spending time getting things deducted from my bill so that I can go around paying people individually. That certainly doesn’t sound like a fun way of spending my holiday time.

If that is indeed “retarded” then I happily am just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah....as the mom to a developmentally disable adult son, I got caught up in the "retarded" term as well. NOT the correct term these days to be sure. We pay the DSC, give additional money to the cabin steward, concierge, butler and tip in specialty restaurants as we go. I am always amazed at the people that do NOT choose to leave these charges on their accounts and wonder if they just spent MORE than they anticipated and are having "buyer's remorse?" And lastly, would be SO happy if NCL just added the amount to the cruise fare......as then we would not be forced to read about all of these "poor" people that have tried to get their DSC's removed and are having to "wait", etc....to have their expenses credited back to them.

Am I the only one that is tired of hearing these posts? Does NCL even read or consider just adding these amounts to the cruise fare? SO confusing and frustrating as we are often found to be feeling GUILTY for the amount of work that the crew does while we are enjoying a relaxing cruise.....and always want to make certain that they receive what they deserve.

I agree that the distribution is "confusing" to say the least.....as I discussed the tipping issue with a bar tender in the Epic recently. His response was that he TOTALLY appreciated "cash" tips as he NEVER saw a change in his income when people added tips to his bar tab receipts.....who knows if he was just trying to keep the "cash" tips to himself and not pool them with the rest of the bar staff OR if the tips that we sign for actually go to the staff that most of us desperately hope occurs. It is really a shame that a subject such as "tipping" or "DSC's" should pit us against us all so maliciously.

Again, my only concern is that people USE the removal of the DSC when they have overspent and NOT because there was any problem with the service that they received while enjoying their cruise.

Perhaps you have never heard of "resort fees" at all-inclusive hotels.

That’s not a “tip” at all. They are blatantly telling you what the resort fee is. Pool towels, 2 water bottles, WiFi and what ever else that used to be free but now they make you pay for it.

Honestly it’s no ones business what some people do. To tip or not to tip and no matter how much people complain, the people who tip will continue and the people who don’t will not.

The cruise line will never add it in to their cost because they know they will continue to sucker suckers into paying it. (And you are suckers if you pay it) That way they can keep posting large profits.

The only thing I can promise you is the company will win and the employees will lose no matter if you leave DSC on or not.

Ok ... this is an ancient thread ... but it's been revived. I have recently read all of the Cruise Confidential novels by Brian David Bruns. Not ONCE does he go into tips ... how they are collected, how they are distributed or kept if each person is given cash tips. He does stress ... repeatedly ... in his books that they (the staff, crews, workers) do for the money. That is their sole motivation. He also describes in detail that the cruise line sometimes throws a party for the staff & crew. BIG ... TONS of booze parties.

Another focus of his book is how nightly/daily the employees drink themselves into a stupor to deal with the stress of the job. How often times the employees go to bed at 3 - 4 a.m. and get up at 6:00 a.m., still completely drunk apparently, and go to work.

I find the latter hard to believe .... but who knows. I find the former to be a possible explanation of where part of the Grats/DSCs go.

Honestly it’s no ones business what some people do. To tip or not to tip and no matter how much people complain, the people who tip will continue and the people who don’t will not.

The cruise line will never add it in to their cost because they know they will continue to sucker suckers into paying it. (And you are suckers if you pay it) That way they can keep posting large profits.

The only thing I can promise you is the company will win and the employees will lose no matter if you leave DSC on or not.

Cognitive dissonance much?