NCL Refund Request

Responder

sorry, can't let #2 go, the DSCis most certainly a tip. Go read the the history of this charge and the description of what its meant to cover. Most certainly a tip and as so much it is can be adjusted or eliminated if you so choose.

Not a tip. The automation of the service fee, which most people used to replace by way of a tip. Tipping not required.

Adjustable to offset service issues, after giving an opportunity to rectify.

That's the summary of the policy today.

If too many abuse it, there will be some other function which will make it harder to remove in the future.

Not a tip. The automation of the service fee, which most people used to replace by way of a tip. Tipping not required.

Adjustable to offset service issues, after giving an opportunity to rectify.

That's the summary of the policy today.

If too many abuse it, there will be some other function which will make it harder to remove in the future.

If they remove it in the future, they will also remove me from their passenger manifest.

Their choice..

sorry, can't let #2 go, the DSCis most certainly a tip. Go read the the history of this charge and the description of what its meant to cover. Most certainly a tip and as so much it is can be adjusted or eliminated if you so choose.

Nope.

I think there are a lot of different reason why some don't pay it.

• I think some have service issues that they feel are big enough not to pay the DSC.
  • I think some, who come from countries where tipping is not the norm, just don't want to pay it, because they don't tip back home.
  • I think some are just cheap and that is one way to save a little cash.
  • I think some don't believe that the money goes to the staff, even though there is no proof that the staff doesn't get the money

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the ones I think are most common.

I seem to recall reading a few posts from those who had pre-paid and were also charged once on-board.

Disputing a charge is accusing the company you are disputing of a criminal act. It requires that you participate in a law enforcement investigation of the person who has charged your account without authorization. Not sure that a slow refund equates to a criminal act.

Disputing a cc charge is not necessarily accusing a company of an illegal act.

If they remove it in the future, they will also remove me from their passenger manifest.

Their choice..

I'm sure they won't mind. And since I'm interpreting this to mean you feel it's fair if the crew don't get paid, I don't think you'd be missed here much either.

Your choice....

I'm sure they won't mind. And since I'm interpreting this to mean you feel it's fair if the crew don't get paid, I don't think you'd be missed here much either.

Your choice....

If I had to travel with minds and attiudes like yours, I would stay home. :o

If I had to travel with minds and attiudes like yours, I would stay home. :o

You mean the mind & attitude that says a person should be compensated for their work?

Wow, it's such an awful sense of consideration I have.

Maybe one day you'll be this considerate too, until then maybe staying home is a good idea?

You mean the mind & attitude that says a person should be compensated for their work?

Wow, it's such an awful sense of consideration I have.

Maybe one day you'll be this considerate too, until then maybe staying home is a good idea?

Maybe you understand, maybe you don't.

An employer should pay whatever is acceptabls to those he hires . He shouldn't additionally ask his customers to chip in due to the fact that he is not paying them a reasonable salary. When they are hired they are made aware of this and are advised that they will be making tips to fill in the shortfall.

Restaurants suggest a tip amount but Hotels and cruise lines are not only suggesting it but disguising it under the title of "Hotel Service Charges."

In the cruise business as well as hotels and restaurants, they have created a sub-culture that they think should morally cause their customers to make up the shortfall.

Only those who have an advanced degree in guilt try to impose this concept on everyone and then take it personally when anyone challenges it.

Probably best to live your life as you see fit and not look to add moral threats to who see it differently as in real life they may actually be more generous than you...and specifically to those who go the extra mile to please.

An employer should pay whatever is acceptabls to those he hires . He shouldn't additionally ask his customers to chip in due to the fact that he is not paying them a reasonable salary. When they are hired they are made aware of this and are advised that they will be making tips to fill in the shortfall.

Restaurants suggest a tip amount but Hotels and cruise lines are not only suggesting it but disguising it under the title of "Hotel Service Charges."

In the cruise business as well as hotels and restaurants, they have created a sub-culture that they think should morally cause their customers to make up the shortfall.

Only those who have an advanced degree in guilt try to impose this concept on everyone and then take it personally when anyone challenges it.

Probably best to live your life as you see fit and not look to add moral threats to who see it differently as in real life they may actually be more generous than you...and specifically to those who go the extra mile to please.

It is clear that you do not understand how a business operates, much less how a cruise ship company operates.

And...we have never heard what your service-related issues were and whether you made a minimal effort to get those service-related issues resolved while on the ship.

It is clear that you do not understand how a business operates, much less how a cruise ship company operates.

And...we have never heard what your service-related issues were and whether you made a minimal effort to get those service-related issues resolved while on the ship.

NCL allows people to adjust the service charges for whatever reason, even for no reason. As long as NCL allows that I will not criticize anyone that takes NCL up on it.

NCL allows people to adjust the service charges for whatever reason, even for no reason. As long as NCL allows that I will not criticize anyone that takes NCL up on it.

I understand you. We are not of the same mindset.

It's a Service Charge. It's not a charge for 'above and beyond' service.

The number one reason don't want to pay it is they are CHEAP. They want to screw the staff that relies on it.

What is the difference if you pay say $200 in tips or they raise the price of the cruise by $200?

I take it a lot people would rather they raise the price of the cruise and stop the service charge.

As far as some place not require tipping add and auto service change to bill. Do you people where is done ask that it be removed? If so do they?

I understand you. We are not of the same mindset.

It's a Service Charge. It's not a charge for 'above and beyond' service.

I agree, I would only consider reducing or removing it for an ongoing service issue that wasn't resolved. But at the same time I recognize that NCL allows service charge adjustments for no reason at all, so if someone wants to do that it's their business, not mine.

I understand completely.

NCL pays their staff an income which is partly derived by salary, and partly variable based on the collected Service Charges.

By doing this, the crew find their compensation maximizes with the best service. If their service dwindles, so likely does their compensation.

The fact that NCL separates the service charge instead of hiding it into the fare, is to show that the crew are being compensated and that tipping is not required.

People don't need to "go the extra mile" to please me, I'm a believer that if they do the job they were hired to do, they should be paid the expected income. You seem to disagree for some reason I don't understand.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

I agree, I would only consider reducing or removing it for an ongoing service issue that wasn't resolved. But at the same time I recognize that NCL allows service charge adjustments for no reason at all, so if someone wants to do that it's their business, not mine.

If they remove it because they can and they are cheap it has an effect upon everyone else by making the crew work for nothing and thus....they are unhappy. It actually IS everyone's business.

If they remove it because they can and they are cheap it has an effect upon everyone else by making the crew work for nothing and thus....they are unhappy. It actually IS everyone's business.

Then NCL should do something about it, neither you nor I can have any impact on it.

While waiting what seems like forever for the "Hotel Service Charge" to be refunded, has anyone actually contacted their credit card company to reverse the charges, and if so, what was the result.

Since NCL bundles all the charges into one invoice, will the card company pull off only what constitutes the service charge?

thanks

Why didn't you stop the service charge on the first day?

Why did you wait until you needed a refund?

Why didn't you stop the service charge on the first day?

Why did you wait until you needed a refund?

You may no longer make the adjustment onboard, you have to wait for a refund after the cruise.

Edited by sparks1093

You may no longer make the adjustment onboard, you have to wait for a refund.

If you've paid in gbp they remove it on board the ship on the last day, if usd you have to send in a form and wait like the op has

All three of the major cruise line companies (NCLH, RCL, CCL) are listed on the US stock market and do their accounting in accordance with US accounting rules and practices.

Under those rules, if a service charge can be removed, it can be collected and distributed to the crew without being considered to be income by the cruise lines. Payments made to the crew with those funds are also not an expense to the cruise line and are not considered to be salary for the crew. This provides several benefits to the crew because depending upon their home country income received in this way might not be taxed, or taxed at a lower rate (outside of national retirement taxes for example).

There are two primary reasons why one can be pretty sure that the money is being passed on to the crew. 1. If NCL kept any of the money it would be material to their SEC filings and would need to be reported. Especially since it would not be a normal accounting practice. 2. If they were in fact keeping the money and not passing on to the crew, then there would not be any reason for them to allow customers to modify or remove it.

The fact that they still allow it to be modified is the biggest argument that they are following accounting rules and passing the entire DSC amount on to the crew. If they were not they would not have any reason to provide the option to modify or remove.

The amounts for drinks that cannot be removed or modified might be a different story since it cannot be reduced.

All three of the major cruise line companies (NCLH, RCL, CCL) are listed on the US stock market and do their accounting in accordance with US accounting rules and practices.

Under those rules, if a service charge can be removed, it can be collected and distributed to the crew without being considered to be income by the cruise lines. Payments made to the crew with those funds are also not an expense to the cruise line and are not considered to be salary for the crew. This provides several benefits to the crew because depending upon their home country income received in this way might not be taxed, or taxed at a lower rate (outside of national retirement taxes for example).

There are two primary reasons why one can be pretty sure that the money is being passed on to the crew. 1. If NCL kept any of the money it would be material to their SEC filings and would need to be reported. Especially since it would not be a normal accounting practice. 2. If they were in fact keeping the money and not passing on to the crew, then there would not be any reason for them to allow customers to modify or remove it.

The fact that they still allow it to be modified is the biggest argument that they are following accounting rules and passing the entire DSC amount on to the crew. If they were not they would not have any reason to provide the option to modify or remove.

The amounts for drinks that cannot be removed or modified might be a different story since it cannot be reduced.

Now you are just muddling up the water with facts and you know there are some on here that don't want to hear the facts. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm curious why so many are asking for refunds for the daily service charge? I'm also wondering if the increase for those of us who actually pay it is because so many do not pay it?

most likely for being cheated by ncl. i have an upcoming ncl cruise. since i am no longer able to bring the inexpensive brand of soda that i like on board and unable to cancel due to talking friends into going with us, i will be forced to purchase the soda package and to pay for that i will remove that amount from the dsc. if ncl wants to screw with me i will screw right back with them.

Edited by Computer Nerd