Specialty Restaurants - Am I Missing Out?

babs135

We've only done one specialty restaurant--on Holland--and that was only because it was supposed to be an included perk--turned out not to be.

Yes, the steak was very, very good, but really not any better than we get regularly for lots less here in Nebraska. The sides were fine, nothing special. The service the same, or maybe not as good; my husband left before dessert because it was so slow coming--he's not much of a dessert person, but really, almost 30 minutes after the last course is taken away is a little much.

We probably just had an off experience, but we're unlikely won't pay for one again. It just wasn't that great for a $60 upcharge for the two of us.

I don't like being hovered over either, if that's the normal service at specialty restaurants. Just timely and pleasant is all I need.

DH and I have never paid for any specialty restaurant on any of the cruises we have taken. We are happy with the food offered in the included eateries, but sometimes I do wonder if we are missing out.

DH, despite willingly paying for a cruise is of the mind that 'why pay any extra when I don't have to'.

So, what are we missing? Is it worth the extra? And how would you convince DH that it's worth trying?

If you are happy then you don't need to go to specialty restaurants. It's freestyle, do what you want!

That being said, the specialty restaurants do tend to have some tasty choices you won't find on the regular menu. For your first try, I'd recommend Moderno, the Brazilian barbeque. There's seafood, but the skewered meat is really the best part. (Though try the pineapple!) I think they have better desserts than you'll find elsewhere, if you can manage to save room for that. It's worth the cover charge.

We have done specialty restaurants on all of our past cruises. Our last 2 times were on Breakaway as is our upcoming cruise. I have found that our can't miss specialty restaurants are: Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, and Ocean Blue. Ocean Blue was by far our favorite and we will definitely go again, maybe twice on our next cruise (13 nights). Last time we did Le Bistro twice (14 night cruise) and the first night was fantastic but the second was a bust. The service was brutally slow to the point that we were ready to walk out before the main course. Teppanyaki is always lots of fun and the food is delicious but the portions are too much for me to eat. Next time I think I may split the main course with my daughter. But we will get our own appetizers.

I found Cagney's to be OK and Moderno was just way too much food. I filled up on the amazing salad bar and was too stuffed to really enjoy the meats.

We were in the Haven last time and will be again this next cruise and found the Haven restaurant to be fantastic every time we went. So we didn't go to any of the MDR's. Oh and O'Sheehan's was great for lunches and also for "take out" after a night out. You just go to the Maitre D and let him or her know you want food to go. You then go up by the coffee/tea station and let them know what you want. They will give you covered plates on a tray with utensils and all the needed condiments. To go service is really quick. I never waited more than 10 minutes. The chicken tikka masala, beef stew, and wings were delicious and really enjoyable on our balcony. :D

When we first began cruising, we were happy and content with the MDRs but curious about the specialty restaurants. We were happy cruisers.

However, a few years back, we received the UDP as one of our perks, and tried several specialty restaurants. Now, the specialty restaurants are one of the things we look forward to when we cruise, especially Cagney's, Moderno and Teppenyaki. We especially enjoy the specialty restaurants when we're sitting on the waterfront. For us, it provides additional enjoyment. If we didn't receive it as a perk, I would purchase the 3 night dining option. Happy Cruising.

DH and I have never paid for any specialty restaurant on any of the cruises we have taken. We are happy with the food offered in the included eateries, but sometimes I do wonder if we are missing out.

DH, despite willingly paying for a cruise is of the mind that 'why pay any extra when I don't have to'.

So, what are we missing? Is it worth the extra? And how would you convince DH that it's worth trying?

We will be on the Breakaway. BTW we don't do seafood apart from fish. (you know what I mean I hope).

There is no right answer for this: we do love the specialty dining but there are many who are quite happy with the MDR. Just like some people eat all their meals in the buffet. I do think you would be happy if you tried one specialty dining room, just to see what you think and experience the service and quality. I would recommend either Cagney's or La Bistro. Maybe he would be so impressed he would want to do it over and over; if not, at least you will have satisfied your curiosity.

We've only done one specialty restaurant--on Holland--and that was only because it was supposed to be an included perk--turned out not to be.

Yes, the steak was very, very good, but really not any better than we get regularly for lots less here in Nebraska. The sides were fine, nothing special. The service the same, or maybe not as good; my husband left before dessert because it was so slow coming--he's not much of a dessert person, but really, almost 30 minutes after the last course is taken away is a little much.

We probably just had an off experience, but we're unlikely won't pay for one again. It just wasn't that great for a $60 upcharge for the two of us.

I don't like being hovered over either, if that's the normal service at specialty restaurants. Just timely and pleasant is all I need.

fyi: we did not find the specialty dining on HAL worth the extra $$s either. Our friends and another couple at our MDR table agreed. I don't know why, but we were just not impressed.

Pleased and slightly surprised to see this thread reappear. Some helpful comments.

I think we will wait until we are on board and take it from there. Will also give me a chance to steer DH towards the different restaurants so he can study the menus and see if anything takes his fancy.

Last cruise I had complimentary 3 night dining plus a total of 2 nights extra due to platinum benefits for my friend and myself. We love the quiet and the service. The food is very nice too. On the Gem the Asian restaurant the Orchid has wonderful appetizers. We try to go to different venues including the occasional buffet. That way we don't get bored. If I didn't get those 5 nights free, would I pay for them? Depending on my budget, probably at least 3 nights. Its not about the quantity with me. I could be happy with a bowl of soup. I enjoy the service and the quiet. Don't get me wrong, I also do enjoy the main dining room and O Sheehan's but it's all about balance.

Enjoy your cruise.

Bonni

We will be on the Breakaway. BTW we don't do seafood apart from fish. (you know what I mean I hope).

Why don't you just try one. The cost is insignificant compared to the cruise cost. And yes, the food quality is better than the MDR.

Just got off Escape, bought 4 meals each plan. Totally worth it.

Hibachi was great. Steak and Brazil steak very good. Italian string too.

The regular dining rooms were fine, good quality. We preferred Manhattan though. OSHEEHANS was good for lunch, not so much for dinner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Cagney's, Tappenaki

each are great and if you go every other day THEY will know who you are

14 days 7x each

on our last TA

we just booked ( three days ago) a quick cruise for 11/26/2016 from Orlando and plan to visit MDR only

we are parking the motorhome and as we don't dress like pigs (jeans) I will not be packing any BLACK SLACKS for me..DH

And I we have in the past tried to wear some what better attire when have plans to eat at any of the specialty restaurants