Luminae Lunch Closures

aquashores

We like the buffet or mast grill on port days for something lighter and a change of pace. There's no way we would be able to eat 3 meals a day in Luminae. I actually liked the brunch on the days it was available. Gave us the best of both worlds.

We loved the daily FREE Indian buffet in OceanView Cafe on Connie. Don't ask Celebrity to make it once a cruise and for a fee! Eventually they will realize that they don't have a workable concept for Xon5 and make it a nice bar or something.

The Taj on 5 was a step up on the Indian food served in the buffet.

I'm yet to try sushi on 5 but really hope that it's a huge step up on the sushi served in the buffet. I've eaten in many Japanese restaurants around the world and can say that it's the most bland sushi I've ever eaten.

The fact is that Luminae is closed for lunch on port days. Although you may not be going ashore most passengers will. It makes no financial sense to open Luminae, Blu or the MDR on port days. We too stay on the ship on some port days but find lunch at the Aqua Spa cafe delicious and with no crowds very relaxing.

We also found Aqua Spa to be just perfect. It is a nice change of menu and lighter fare as well as being quieter.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

When we DID eat lunch on sea days in Luminae we didn't always eat what was on the menu. I would order the burger without bun, or a big plate of salad with just a grilled chicken breast on it. We never order anything for dessert at lunch, nor do we get appetizers. (It's a sure test of self-control and will power, I admit!)

I don't mind at all that we only have Luminae twice a day on port days. There *are* other venues. And.....honestly, we don't cruise for the food. We want it good and we love the food on X, but we don't cruise for it.

I personally think that luminae could run a reduced service lunch on port days, while many people like to go into port and do tours there are just as many people who view their holiday as being on the ship. Especially if you are staying in one of the higher category of suites and as such have lots of lovely space and even a balcony jacuzzi to enjoy!

I don't mean to be controversial of course, but if you are paying more (by quite a large amount in some cases) then it only makes sense to expect more. I do like the suggestion someone made of course of having a light gourmet box, that would be a nice idea! Also with luminae food you can eat as much or as little as you like - I would often have starters in place of a main depending on which dishes were available - so it's really a moot point to say the food is too rich/heavy to eat it 3 times a day. After all some people really like their food and are happy to spend their holiday enjoying as much food and drink as they please - this isn't me but I'm not one to judge other people's choices on their own holiday.

Celebrity managed to keep Bistro on 5 going, even when it was poorly attended, yet they seem unable to open Luminae on a port day? Surely they should have at least a chef and a couple of waiters on duty, for the pax have paid premium rates for their cruise.

When we cruised on IOTS in a suite it was handled much better at lunchtime, you used the buffet, but took your food into one of the nearby specialty restaurants, with tables set and waiters in attendance.

Incidentally, on a P&O some time ago they had a restaurant a similar size to Bistro on 5, except it did a small varied range of light food. It was open for breakfast and lunch, which were free, and a small charge in the evenings. It was always very popular, and we always used it for breakfast and lunch. I am surprised that Celebrity have not tried the same for Bistro on 5, or whatever they are calling it this week.

EDIT Found a link to a menu http://beyondships.com/PO-Aurora-menu.html

Edited by Adammara
Add link

Seems like your only options are:

a) Join us serfs at the buffet or Aquaspa cafe. We are really not that bad, honest.

b) Take a repositioning cruise with lots of sea days to eat lunch in Luminae more often.

c) Sail with Cunard who offer suite guests lunch on port days.

Why should they staff a restaurant that will have a very low demand on port days just for a few passengers? Irrespective of the price they have paid.

I think at the time when this was a big discussion, the pertinent question was, why are Celebrity not delivering what they advertised to their suite guests.

Initially they stated that Luminae would be open for lunch every day. The price people pay isn't really relevant, but receiving what you paid for is. Imagine if they closed the MDR on an evening and said, don't worry you can use the buffet...

Celebrity managed to keep Bistro on 5 going, even when it was poorly attended, yet they seem unable to open Luminae on a port day? Surely they should have at least a chef and a couple of waiters on duty, for the pax have paid premium rates for their cruise.

Ah, but Bistro on 5 has a cover charge and so generates a revenue stream wheras Luminae is a simply a straightforward cost to Celebrity - that is at least part of the reason why Bistro on 5 survives.

Also, you couldn't just run Luminae with "a chef and a couple of waiters". More people will be needed behind the scenes and people have expectations about Luminae service which would not be met with a couple of waiters, especially on those rare occasions it got busy.

Having said that, I agree with you and would like to see Luminae open on port days...

Interestingly enough, we spoke with the head chef of luminae (on the eclipse - Brian was his name) just recently and asked him how big a team he had, and he responded with 6, I'd have thought it would be bigger than this for the number of covers they do, just shows you how few they really need for the number of dishes they do.

An aside point of course :)

When you have a suite, another option for port days on board when you are enjoying your space and/or balcony, would be to ask your butler to serve your room service lunch in the suite. :D:D

Cheers!

They should seriously look at that as an option but the room service menu should be updated with greater options. On m class ships being in penthouse or royal suite even with unlimited specialty dining there is no options for you now at lunch when at least before bistro could be used for a quite lunch.

I have to say, before my trip on the Solstice 3 weeks ago, I was upset that they canceled lunch in Luminae. Now that I have sailed, I understand why they no longer have lunch. Even on sea days they were not busy. There were no more then 5-6 tables used at any time I was there. And they were so empty at dinner times, they pleaded with me to have dinner. We were in RS so we (husband and I), were using the speciality dinning. We felt bad so decided to have dinner I think once. One night we didn't have dinner at all because we had a evening whale quest. So had ocean view. I'm sorry but yuck! Of course we didn't get back until after 10 so a lot of items were gone. But remember there is Aqua spa, and the grill. And room service was always prompt, and not to bad. You may find you will. It miss lunch at all. BTW if they have lobster bisque on your trip, try it, it was the best I've ever had.

I have to say, before my trip on the Solstice 3 weeks ago, I was upset that they canceled lunch in Luminae. Now that I have sailed, I understand why they no longer have lunch. Even on sea days they were not busy. There were no more then 5-6 tables used at any time I was there. And they were so empty at dinner times, they pleaded with me to have dinner. We were in RS so we (husband and I), were using the speciality dinning. We felt bad so decided to have dinner I think once. One night we didn't have dinner at all because we had a evening whale quest. So had ocean view. I'm sorry but yuck! Of course we didn't get back until after 10 so a lot of items were gone. But remember there is Aqua spa, and the grill. And room service was always prompt, and not to bad. You may find you will. It miss lunch at all. BTW if they have lobster bisque on your trip, try it, it was the best I've ever had.

5 to 6 tables on sea days! That the reason for no port days openings. Can this thread be closed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They should seriously look at that as an option but the room service menu should be updated with greater options. On m class ships being in penthouse or royal suite even with unlimited specialty dining there is no options for you now at lunch when at least before bistro could be used for a quite lunch.

The original plan promised 3 meals a day, special dishes featuring locally sourced foods, and an expanded breakfast room service menu for suite guests. There was also mention of different artisan chocolates each night. It seems like they threw out all sorts of ideas but nothing stuck.

I don't see a need to close this thread. Everyone is being very civil.

On the July 17th eclipse cruise I'm sure they actually had luminae open for lunch on the first port day, Bruges - I'm pretty sure the reason they gave for this was that we would be leaving port at 3 and so they had decided to open for lunch.

In may on constellation Lumina was quite busy and that's the difference I believe is the less specialty restaurants on m class that the top suites get for unlimited dining so they have no choices but use Lumina. On s class there is a lot more choice to use the unlimited specialty dining including lunch. We made use of bistro a lot for lunch but without any clarification from celebrity weather sushi on five is inch in unlimited dining for top suites you definitely have far fewer choices than before on m class.

celebrity needs to do a better job following through with what is promised and providing a consistent product on all ships which currently is not the case.

The thread should be open till celebrity confirms some questions. If person reading has nothing to add or don't pertain to them simply don't read or post in it.

I hope they do this on our Eclipse cruise!

I can't understand why they don't use Bistro like this on all ships! Sushi one day, Indian the next, maybe a Tapas bar....

It would not be hard to sort, same menu from lunch through dinner, repeating every X days dependent on cruise length. It would really add to the variety of cruise food!

Good idea! Might even get me to eat at SO5 or whatever they are currently calling it!

5 to 6 tables on sea days! That the reason for no port days openings. Can this thread be closed?

Yet the last time we were in Luminae the restaurant was near full or even actually full on sea days towards 8.30pm.

Why would you want to close the thread?

Can anyone please confirm if Suite guests are still locked out of Luminae for lunch on port days or has Celebrity decided to listen and respond to their customers?

Thanks

When was this announced? This is very disappointing. We did a 7 day to Bermuda last summer (3 sea days) and Luminae was open every day. We have a 10 night-er booked for next June with only one sea day. No one told us Luminae would not be open on port days. Sorry, but we could eat lunch in Luminae EVERY day. We loved it.

When was this announced? This is very disappointing. We did a 7 day to Bermuda last summer (3 sea days) and Luminae was open every day. We have a 10 night-er booked for next June with only one sea day. No one told us Luminae would not be open on port days. Sorry, but we could eat lunch in Luminae EVERY day. We loved it.

We really loved eating in Luminae too on our last sailing in September. We re booked this cruise with the intention of eating there again without restrictions.

We are trying Regent in the New Year.

Does anyone have the menus for Lumanie Lunches? Just curious

Here are two of the menus. I think we had 3 different ones. My favorite was the fillet cobb (delicious filet mignon on a nice Cobb salad), second was the Luminae burger and third favorite was the lamb burger. Soups and desserts were also very good! We had to eat dinner quite late on those nights :).

IMG_4841_zpshykuga7y.jpg

IMG_4659_zpsfoog4ke6.jpg

Edited by vtcruising
sent without comments

Celebrity did respond to this last year. Have tried to attach a pdf of the screenshot. Whether they have since changed their mind as it is now 9 months after that and they have converted Bistro into Sushi is anyone's guess

Thanks for keeping Celebrity's clients updated Gordoncruickshank

Edited by aquashores
sentence structure