Luminae Lunch Closures

aquashores

I always take screenshots of Celebrity posts that could affect me, but in this case I suspect that they will use the change in format at Bistro to stop suite guests using it on port days. We are unlikely to visit it in its new format as my wife does not like sushi.

Same here for both wife and I, we call it Bait on Five....

We were on the Summit to Bermuda in May and had to eat at Bistro on 5 while in port as the Luminare was closed. Princess is opening a separate dining area for Suite guests starting next year and I will try it a couple times to see which I prefer.

Island Princess 10/12/17, Island Princess 5/4/17, Silhouette, 2/26/17, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess Elite 228 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity Elite+ 28 cruises

We were on the Summit to Bermuda in May and had to eat at Bistro on 5 while in port as the Luminare was closed. Princess is opening a separate dining area for Suite guests starting next year and I will try it a couple times to see which I prefer.

Island Princess 10/12/17, Island Princess 5/4/17, Silhouette, 2/26/17, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess Elite 228 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity Elite+ 28 cruises

As you know the Princess version has not yet started, but it will start being phased in at the end of year. I am confident that the area will follow the same schedule as the MDR as far as when it is opened for lunch.

I do at times wonder if X follows these posts and then considers a simple solution.

Why not on port days have a very simple and light lunchtime menu in Michael's Club....

How hard would it be to offer a special 'Michael's Club' sandwich, a signature salad and a soup of the day? They always have those little savoury plates anyway...

There is always a member of the bar team there to serve drinks, so unless it became mega successful no additional staffing would be needed, it may even become quite a social time for those suite guests enjoying an on ship shore day!

As I have said in previous posts no Luminae has never been an issue for us, we are happy with Oceanview or occasionally room service but if a light offering was available in Michael's I think we would be interested!

I do at times wonder if X follows these posts and then considers a simple solution.

Why not on port days have a very simple and light lunchtime menu in Michael's Club....

How hard would it be to offer a special 'Michael's Club' sandwich, a signature salad and a soup of the day? They always have those little savoury plates anyway...

There is always a member of the bar team there to serve drinks, so unless it became mega successful no additional staffing would be needed, it may even become quite a social time for those suite guests enjoying an on ship shore day!

As I have said in previous posts no Luminae has never been an issue for us, we are happy with Oceanview or occasionally room service but if a light offering was available in Michael's I think we would be interested!

Interesting suggestion.

We are like you. A port day is a perfect time to eat at the Oceanview. No crowds and you can enjoy a quiet lunch in the outside dining area or inside if it is really hot and humid. Picking and choosing what to eat is more important to us. We only have lunch in Luminae a few times each cruise if we have a lot of sea days. Luminae never seems busy at lunch when we use it on those sea days. Breakfast and dinner is more crowded from our experience. Therefore related to lunch I would think the sea days would be more important to avoid the crowds in the Oceanview.

But isn't that just providing average food (all available in the Oceanview) albeit in a private room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of the reasons offered for why Luminae can't open on port days are completely bogus. Cunard manages to do it and it's truly a pleasure to get off early, have a wander around then come back for a late lunch in the Grill. Often it's on the terrace outside if the weather is good.

No, the restaurant isn't as full as on a sea day (even though it's assigned anytime seating) but it's well attended. In response, some of the staff are there but others are either ashore or have been farmed out to cover for staff elsewhere on ship who have slipped the chains.

It's a major failing that a suite class with it's own restaurant doesn't open on port days.

It's not rocket science, please sort it out Celebrity.

All of the reasons offered for why Luminae can't open on port days are completely bogus. Cunard manages to do it and it's truly a pleasure to get off early, have a wander around then come back for a late lunch in the Grill. Often it's on the terrace outside if the weather is good.

No, the restaurant isn't as full as on a sea day (even though it's assigned anytime seating) but it's well attended. In response, some of the staff are there but others are either ashore or have been farmed out to cover for staff elsewhere on ship who have slipped the chains.

It's a major failing that a suite class with it's own restaurant doesn't open on port days.

They've been doing the same thing for MDR the same way for years, it is not a bogus reason to close the restaurant on port days, it is a smart business decision whether it be the MDR or Lumina.

Edited by dkjretired

You are implying that the MDR is not open on Cunard for lunch on port days. Is that true?

But isn't that just providing average food (all available in the Oceanview) albeit in a private room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, similar food, more variety of food, larger portions all available in Oceanview ...but for many of us a simple snack is all we want! Would I use Michael's in this way every port day? No, but it would be a nice option!

Edited by chemmo

It s apparent the one that sail in suites and ones that don't have different opinions how it should be done.

They should have another option for lunch besides buffet where there is never seats or eating at poolside hamburgers where there is never seats either.

The room service menu should at least be expanded to give you a quiet lunch in suite if so inclined.

It s apparent the one that sail in suites and ones that don't have different opinions how it should be done.

They should have another option for lunch besides buffet where there is never seats or eating at poolside hamburgers where there is never seats either.

The room service menu should at least be expanded to give you a quiet lunch in suite if so inclined.

I agree with the room service menu being expanded, in fact I suggested it in an earlier post. But, the buffet and mast grill are not crowded on port days and we do enjoy the food there so either is good for us.

I would love to see some light afternoon fare, small sandwiches and/or sweets, available in Michael's Club during the afternoons on port days as cruisers come back to the ship. Would be lovely to sit in the quiet atmosphere with a drink and a snack, rather than fighting the crowds in other parts of the ship. This is one of the main benefits of Michael's for us, the excellent service and dignified ambiance when the rest of the ship is crazy. Celebrity, hope you're listening!

You are implying that the MDR is not open on Cunard for lunch on port days. Is that true?

No, I'm implying that the Grills (i.e. the suites restaurants, both of them) are open on port days. And they're well attended. And the service is good.

As for MDR, no personal experience but I believe it's open except on embarkation day, a contrast to the Grills which are open even then.

They've been doing the same thing for MDR the same way for years, it is not a bogus reason to close the restaurant on port days, it is a smart business decision whether it be the MDR or Lumina.

Nope, it's a dumb decision. Charge people top dollar for a suite then expect them to brave the buffet rage to collect their lunch on a plastic tray.

Nope, it's a dumb decision. Charge people top dollar for a suite then expect them to brave the buffet rage to collect their lunch on a plastic tray.

There is no buffet rage on port days. Most people are in port. Try it, you might like it.;)

First time in a suite...first time here posting but long time follower. There is nothing wrong with the buffet...but it wasn't what I believed I was getting when I booked. I am not a nickle and dimer. But I am disappointed and I can feel that way....and so can others. It is what it is but i can still be disappointed.

First time in a suite...first time here posting but long time follower. There is nothing wrong with the buffet...but it wasn't what I believed I was getting when I booked. I am not a nickle and dimer. But I am disappointed and I can feel that way....and so can others. It is what it is but i can still be disappointed.

Most passengers are off the ship, while in port. Lunch in another venue is a nice change. We never find it an inconvenience if we decide to stay onboard, especially if it's a nice day, and we can enjoy lunch outside.

Most passengers are off the ship, while in port. Lunch in another venue is a nice change. We never find it an inconvenience if we decide to stay onboard, especially if it's a nice day, and we can enjoy lunch outside.

You are staying in a suite?

We do not book suites but try to avoid the buffet for lunch..

.Now that Sushi on 5 is in place and Porch serving fish..( dh allergic), we will be left with the AQ spa cafe, the burger stand or rm service...Change to B on 5 is a big loss,,,it was our go to lunch spot...and esp on tender port days...oh so quiet and relaxing...for a leisurely lunch