Plus size cruiser wants to look nice

trp1128

Happy cruising to all and especially the fluffy cruisers,

I just placed another order with Full Beauty. They have a huge selection from multiple catalogs. They have a large range of sizes also. You can order from multiple sites and simplify the whole process.

If you sign up for their emails you will get tons of digital coupons.

I have gotten swimsuits and a great swim top for all day coverage at the beach or pool.

Happy shopping

6boysnana

Hi Libby,:) I just bought 2 pair of Lori's new jeans....they are more like

a twill (not denim).......they are quite nice and fit beautifully:D

They are cuffed at the bottom and the length if perfect for me! One

is black cherry and one is black. I wish she would make these in more

colors.;)......I wear an 18 and I love them.:D

Lois, I have not tried them yet! I think so many of her pants look way too casual - much more casual than her tops, anyway. I ordered a pair of those challis print pants and did not like them at all, returned immediately. I'm going to watch for those jeans in other colors!!

Lois, I have not tried them yet! I think so many of her pants look way too casual - much more casual than her tops, anyway. I ordered a pair of those challis print pants and did not like them at all, returned immediately. I'm going to watch for those jeans in other colors!!

Hi...most of her other pants are VERY casual. I wouldn't call these

a dressy pant but they are much dressier than her other choices;)

Many great suggestions have bee made. I am a bit smaller but much older than most of you. Usually wear skirt or dress lengths below the knee. If I wear a short length, feel like I need hose. In hot weather wear thigh high rather than pantyhose. Although, they have been known to be removed before end of evening. Relax and enjoy.

I've had really good luck finding cute tops and swimsuits at Torrid! I'm 29 and about an 18/20. I've found that Torrid has cute tank tops year round.

Also, have you heard of the brand LuLaRoe? It's a consultant-based clothing company, and I love their clothes! They have a kimono that makes the perfect swimsuit cover-up. I'm taking at least 4 of them on my cruise, haha. They also have a couple dress styles that are really flattering on us bigger ladies. I'm not a consultant, just a big fan of the brand! :)

Hi there. I don't suggest special cruising clothes, but I do suggest the outfits you would bring on most vacations.

If I were going on ATVs, I'd probably wear athletic/yoga capris and a tunic tank or long shirt. Jazz it up with a cute headband or baseball cap. And some long lasting lip color for pictures.. :)

For beach or Pool days, I love t-shirt material dresses - soft & light in the heat.

For dinners, at 26, think of the outfits you would wear to dinner or drinks for a girls night out. A cute dress, capris and fun tops would be appropriate. I second all of the maxi dress suggestions! I think jeans are fine for most cruise lines these days, so a pair of trouser jeans would be great for your every day life and for a cruise. Bring some fun jewelry to dress things up. This is the place to wear that statement necklace.

Also, try some skinny jeans - they are great to cuffs as capris if you are having any trouble finding capris in the store with the change of seasons & fall clothes coming out. Old navy's skinny jeans are very generously cut - I border plus size & have to size up in skinny jeans but I do think all women can wear them. Maybe pair with a kimono top.

I freeze everywhere on the ship, so I always bring long sleeve Blazers or sweaters for dinner.

Mod cloth dot com has some great plus size clothing, as does forever 21's website.

Good luck!

Partly true, for some people that don't live in hotter climates though - we do need some new things when we vacation. I donate my used stuff to recycle clothes out of my wardrobe and it's fun to shop for new clothes. The new cruise clothes I wear after the cruise, often layered with a sweater or hoody when I come back home. I like pleasing myself with cute outfits. If I think I look good in something, I'm already in a better mood and when cruising it's doubly fun!

This was well stated. Summer clothes get worn out quicker, IMO. We sweat in them, spray sunscreen near them, wash them a ton and I don't buy them year round living in NJ.

Plus, when you feel good in your outfit, you enjoy your day so much more! At least in my experience so I love shopping for my trips!

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in April and I've been searching the Internet for good cruise wear but I notice the blogs/articles are generally geared towards smaller cruisers and just not practical for plus size women. What kind of clothing would be best for a plus size cruiser? I'm looking for comfort and practical clothing, I don't want to be worrying about wedgies or wardrobe malfunctions all day. What stores/sites does everyone recommend? I'm 26 and looking for stylish but practical cruise wear (and I don't wear heels, I'm 5'2 and I've accepted that lol). TIA!

Avenue.com has a great selection of summer clothes, some great dresses and capris and shorts! have a blast!

I'm just over 5'2", 49 and a 16/18/20 depending on the brand.

I just wear my regular summer in Canada clothing and add a few nicer tops that I don't wear as regularly unless we're getting together with friends.

Stores that carry Plus Size Petites are hard for me to find, but great because I have a short torso. I don't need armholes down by my waist or my boobs any lower looking.

I'm also a Torrid fan. We just got some Canadian stores.

Like the Jockey Skimmies. I found the shorter length was plenty long on me.

Old Navy for tops, Cleo (a Canadian store) and I've bought at a couple cocktail dresses that have cruised at consignment stores.

I usually bring 2 or 3 skorts that I found at Costco that I can dress up for casual dinners and wear around the ship or in port.

Same with 2 summer dresses that I wear to dinner and an excursion.

Last cruise one of my favourite things was a long black t-shirt material skirt. Not too long because I can fold over the top. It was $12 in one of our cheap everything type stores.

I make an excel sheet with all my days and what we have planned and I try to get two wears out of at least half of what I bring.

We usually cruise Carnival and just turned Platinum on our last cruise. Did two free bags of laundry that trip, but I still bring hand washing liquid, clothespins to hang stuff from the inside of the shower curtain, dryer sheets and a couple Tide pods.

My height is often a big hurdle with clothes-especially dresses and capris.

I'm not vertically challenged (5'6"), but I often don't like where either capris or crops hit my calf. What I do is (because I'm frugal) go to the thrift store and pick up some slacks that fit well, bring them home and hem them to the length I prefer. Even if you don't have a sewing machine, it's pretty easy to hem a pair of slacks, you just have to lay an existing pair on top, mark your length and go for it.

Please don't worry about special cruising clothes, bring what you would normally wear, but leave the jeans at home - they're too heavy and hot to deal with in the Caribbean. Let us know how your wardrobe planning goes.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Hi my daughter is 24 yrs old and plus size (22/24) . Lots of times people or places say "plus size " and it only goes up to 16 or 18 It can get very frustrating. I don't know what your idea of plus size is. But you can check out Torrid.com a bit pricey but really nice clothes my daughter got their credit card so she can pay a little at a time. Also try rainbowshops.com they are pretty reasonable priced. Right now every one is clearancing out their summer lines so it's a great time to find bargains. Good luck let us all know how you do!

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I'm so tempted to go and buy a lot of clothes on clearance now for the end of season, but I've been trying to be more active and healthy this year so my weight has been slowly declining (slow and steady wins the race right? I hope lol). So I'm not sure of what size to buy, as our cruise isn't for 7 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

one last suggestion if you purchase anything on line check out retailmenot.com you can type in any store or online store and if there is a coupon code available you'll probably find it there. Any time Kohls has a 15 - 30% off coupon out and I shop online I can get the code for the 30% off and another for free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I am plus size and just got back from a cruise on Adventure of the Seas in the Caribbean and this is purely my experience:

They don't seem to air condition much in the Caribbean excepting overpriced tourist shops that much. I had one cotton t-shirt fabric trapeze shirt similar to this and I wished I had more. I got it at Chico's outlet for around $7. I had 1 cotton t-shirt fabric maxi dress and wished I had another. I bought two pairs of cheap denim crop pants. Great for stretching my wardrobe.

I also had some of those 'travel wardrobe' clothes made out of some no-wrinkle synthetic with spandex. Don't bother. They just make you sweat, then they look bedraggled. Great on the flights out and back where we were in the cold AC the whole time, though. The tank tops from these sets under gauzy cotton shirts were great. I could wash them out in the sink and they were dry, ready to wear the next morning.

As far as swimwear goes, I'm afraid I'm no help other than to say the ones I had took far too long to dry. I'll try something different next time.

RE: Slow shrink process: Congrats! :)

As far as it goes, some items actually look cuter if they're a bit oversized such as the trapeze shirts. If you're a goal oriented type pants or shorts that are a bit tight might be a good motivator.

Torrid has sundresses on clearance. I got 2 yesterday for our upcoming December cruise (my first!), and got compliments on the one I wore to church today. I like long skirts, these both had the hi/low hems. In store, the clearance was BOGO 50% off, but the website is buy 2, get one free :)

You might also want to check out http://www.makingitbig.com. I especially love their rayon pants and tops for the summer. They are light weight and hardly ever need ironing, which perfect for traveling. They also have most items in different lenghts (petite/regular/tall).

Edited by threecats

In my experience on HAL, Royal Carribean, and Disney that the best plus size clothing are things that pack well and don't wrinkle too much.

Last things that I packed: Pants from J. Jill. Sizes go up to 28 and are scaled to a plus size body. Since I am short, these have to be shortened, but they pack well and don't wrinkle. Just don't bring the linen ones. Tops also from J. Jill. Dresses and shirts from Eshakti. This amazing site has fantastic clothing for all sizes. They ask your height and scale it to your body. I have gotten wonderful dresses for formal nights, both long and short. Also pack well and wrinkles fall out when hung up. Bathing suits I got from Romans or Lane Bryant and the same for coverups. I bring a pair of walking shoes, sandals and water shoes. Most times I have worn the sandals with my formal clothing, but if you want to bring dress shoes, pack pantyhose.

Another thing to pass on to plus size cruisers make sure you bring body powder and anti-chafe cream. It helps a lot in the humid climates such as St Thomas and similar.

Have a great time. It is the trip of a lifetime.

Quote:

"Most times I have worn the sandals with my formal clothing, but if you want to bring dress shoes, pack pantyhose."

The old pantyhose debate......I haven't owned a pair of hose since........

I cannot remember (literally).....I say with a long dress wear a dressy

sandal......no hose needed:D (just my opinion).

• 3 weeks later...
Just ran across this thread. I am plus and I have been looking for decent tops. I am so glad to find a few links that have some decent sizes. Hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Same here, I've found some decent clearance online too!

Quote:

"Most times I have worn the sandals with my formal clothing, but if you want to bring dress shoes, pack pantyhose."

The old pantyhose debate......I haven't owned a pair of hose since........

I cannot remember (literally).....I say with a long dress wear a dressy

sandal......no hose needed:D (just my opinion).

Agreed! I think I have worn pantyhose once or twice since I flew with (what we called the new) Pan Am, but then I was required to. Thigh highs and knee highs work for me. If wearing knee highs be sure to make sure you can't see them when you sit down or cross your legs. A mirror or hubby can help with that.

Depending how dressy you want to dress Ross has some dressy dresses (name brand) for a very good price right now. They also have some that are really cheap and it shows. ;) Don't forget about a store like David's Bridal. I was surprised to go there thinking it was only brides dresses and the tacky brides maids dresses. I have bought several there including gown length and tea length. If ordering on line be sure to check the return policy. Dillard's is another place that I really like to shop for dresses.

For shorts I like the Faded Glory brand amount others. I often get them at Walmart. You can order online and return to a store and I think it is 90 days.

Here are some that I got last year except they aren't the exact ones. The only differences are that they have either a a 7" in seam or an 8" and there were more choices of colors. They should have them again in the early spring.

Here are some that have the comfort band. Look at the white or pink lemonade color so you can see them without the shirt hiked up above the button.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory-Women-s-Plus-Size-10-Bermuda-Shorts-with-a-Comfort-Waistband/46652954

I don't work so I am mostly at home and outside a lot. These are very comfortable working with my orchids in the shade house and mostly cotton which I also like. Again the same ones but I get a shorter length. They are very limited on what they have at the moment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Just-My-Size-Women-s-Plus-Size-Pull-On-Stretch-Denim-Shorts/46535478

I can't stand suntan lotion so I avoid it if I can, but need protection since I a fair skinned. I like the UVskinz company since they have larger sizes in nice colors.

I have bought several things for myself and my husband (he really needs it due to some small skin cancer things that were removed). It is also amazing how cool they can be and not hot and sticky like I assumed. Never ever thought I would wear something like these because I thought they would be skin tight like a rash guard. Had to order 2 sizes larger so they weren't.

I bought these and will also be bringing them (some pieces) for our TransPacific cruise next April. I can throw it on over a shirt if out walking for a while. Like I said I hate suntan lotion, but will use it if I need to.

http://www.uvskinz.com/product-p/040369.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Got these because we like to go to Captiva because I can be in the water for hours and hours. We also live on the water and have a pool so I can be in the sun a lot. Return policy is good.

Thinking of getting the short sleeve one also.

These are nice because of the higher neck which is harder to find.

http://www.uvskinz.com/Aloha-Long-Sleeve-Women-p/040358.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Will not be bringing these on the cruise :D but I wear them when I am snorkeling or walking on the beach for many hours.

http://www.uvskinz.com/Swim-Jammerz-Women-p/040105.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Don't forget to bring a summery hat.

I have gone from a size 26 to a 20/22 and I look forward to cruising in December.

The pants and capri pants that have got me through are these two below.

Full beauty capri, elastic waist and adjustable length The same in a pant

Christopher & Banks Pants, usually capri or crop but I can't find them on their site.

I am wearing two different '50s dresses like in my profile picture, a maxi dress, and nice pants and a shirt for dinner in the MDR. My three pairs of capri pants and long pants during the day, bringing one pair of jeans, one pair of loose yoga pants for being up on the top deck at night. I won't mention how many pairs of shoes I'm taking.