TA Dropped me?

drhall

Summarizing a long story, we booked a cruise on-board another, but I didn't want to use the same TA. I wasn't aware that, by default, it goes to the one we used before unless you tell the NextCruise desk not to do that.

I booked our friend's cruise (same sailing this winter) with this same TA to guarantee pricing, but then I found a TA that I preferred and requested that my travel agent drop our booking so we could book elsewhere. He refused. We bumped heads a little, and I decided to pick/choose my battles and sail with them this time--and I will ensure that this isn't an issue next sailing.

Since then, he's been very quiet. I talked to him once about upgrading rooms and things were fine. I contacted him twice about making payments over a few month period on our friend's account and he never responded to me either time. I logged into RCI's page today and my booking says "CompanyName/DifferentCompanyName". My friend's booking says "CompanyName/TA'sName"

It's weird to me that our sailings are with the same person, but don't reflect that way on RCI's site.

I'm not necessarily hoping/wishing that he released our booking, but it's almost time to make the final payments and I need to have confidence that I can reach somebody. Do I have any recourse to figure out where he is? Does he still have our booking?

Thanks in advance!

Summarizing a long story, we booked a cruise on-board another, but I didn't want to use the same TA. I wasn't aware that, by default, it goes to the one we used before unless you tell the NextCruise desk not to do that.

I booked our friend's cruise (same sailing this winter) with this same TA to guarantee pricing, but then I found a TA that I preferred and requested that my travel agent drop our booking so we could book elsewhere. He refused. We bumped heads a little, and I decided to pick/choose my battles and sail with them this time--and I will ensure that this isn't an issue next sailing.

Since then, he's been very quiet. I talked to him once about upgrading rooms and things were fine. I contacted him twice about making payments over a few month period on our friend's account and he never responded to me either time. I logged into RCI's page today and my booking says "CompanyName/DifferentCompanyName". My friend's booking says "CompanyName/TA'sName"

It's weird to me that our sailings are with the same person, but don't reflect that way on RCI's site.

I'm not necessarily hoping/wishing that he released our booking, but it's almost time to make the final payments and I need to have confidence that I can reach somebody. Do I have any recourse to figure out where he is? Does he still have our booking?

Thanks in advance!

Contact RC. If a TA refuses to release a booking they can help.

Thanks in advance!

I would call Royal and tell them the TA is non-responsive. They may be able to refer you to someone else in the same agency, or worst case they may take the booking away from the TA.

We found out last time that even if you tell them they cant change the TA. At the time I was debating using a different TA but they told me I was booked under another one so the next cruise would also go under them and i would need to contact RC after the fact to get it moved.

We did this on Celebrity when we booked on board. I did not want the booking to go to the previous agent because I wanted to book with the NH online travel agency.

Celebrity made me sign a document saying that they had not solicited the business away from TA #1. They told me that the booking would be direct with Celebrity, and then once I figured out who my new TA was, that the new TA could pull the ressie away from Celebrity.

It worked out exactly as they said.

I agree, there is a lot of money at stake and if your current TA is not working for you, then ask Royal to pull the ressie to them.

I was told by RCI that you have to sign a form that says you do not want the reservation to go to the TA that was tied to the sailing you're on. But then they have to contact that TA and 'ask' them if they will release the new reservation. I asked what happens if they say no. RCI said it was a formality and they will still take the reservation away. They do this to try to keep good relations with the TA's but also to make the customer happy. And on top of this, nothing is done for at least a week (maybe more) AFTER the sailing you're on is over. SO you really have no recourse to do anything at first unless you deal with the TA you are looking to leave. I find this very frustrating and potentially very confrontational. Vacations shouldn't be that way.

Erika

Bob, since I always use our local TA, if I were to call the cruise line and book a cruise directly through them, would the cruise line automatically place the reservation with our TA. I doubt that I would do that since we have been with her company for 12 years and very happy with her.

Gay

Bob, since I always use our local TA, if I were to call the cruise line and book a cruise directly through them, would the cruise line automatically place the reservation with our TA. I doubt that I would do that since we have been with her company for 12 years and very happy with her.

Gay

That I don't know for sure Gay. I've never heard of them booking a cruise and assigning it to a TA, except for onboard bookings.

I had absolutely no problem asking that my current TA NOT be given my recent on board booking. It remained with RCI. When I returned home I contacted a web site that offers several different TA quotes, took the best offer and had the booking transferred to that TA. Piece of cake. I don't understand having problems with the on board booking staff not doing what you request. Yes, I signed a statement as well.

I don't understand having problems with the on board booking staff not doing what you request.[/b] Yes, I signed a statement as well.

I know that there have been times since RCCL changed to this that the Next Cruise Sales people didn't ask if I wanted it with the same TA I booked with. Unfortunately you have to be proactive and tell them you want to change.

One other thought about On Board bookings. For those that don't know, if you don't specifically tell them, now they put the OBC on the sailing you are on instead of the one you just booked. That's great if it works for you. Just thought I would share.

Erika

I'm a little confused. If this is prior to final payment, you are entitled to transfer the booking to whomever you wish.

If you book onboard, it automatically goes to any TA you might have used to book that specific cruise. I'd imagine it's RCI's effort not to tick off those who send business their way. Once a TA has a booking, they have to release it, even if it is before final payment. Oh ... and final payment is only one cutoff for transfer to a TA. You are also limited by days from the booking. If you book directly through RCI, I believe you only have 60 days (as long as you are that far away from final payment) to make that transfer.

One other thought about On Board bookings. For those that don't know, if you don't specifically tell them, now they put the OBC on the sailing you are on instead of the one you just booked. That's great if it works for you. Just thought I would share.

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't consider that.

I was told by RCI that you have to sign a form that says you do not want the reservation to go to the TA that was tied to the sailing you're on. But then they have to contact that TA and 'ask' them if they will release the new reservation. I asked what happens if they say no. RCI said it was a formality and they will still take the reservation away. They do this to try to keep good relations with the TA's but also to make the customer happy. And on top of this, nothing is done for at least a week (maybe more) AFTER the sailing you're on is over. SO you really have no recourse to do anything at first unless you deal with the TA you are looking to leave. I find this very frustrating and potentially very confrontational. Vacations shouldn't be that way.

Erika

No, they shouldn't. I doubt that RCI actually calls the TA to release the new booking - that would lead to the same hostility that the OP is experiencing. And it rubs the dumped TA's nose in it, too. IMO it's best to let the client slip away quietly and avoid any drama.

Gay

No, they wouldn't.

No, they shouldn't. I doubt that RCI actually calls the TA to release the new booking - that would lead to the same hostility that the OP is experiencing. And it rubs the dumped TA's nose in it, too. IMO it's best to let the client slip away quietly and avoid any drama.

No, they wouldn't.

Without going into to much detail, I know for a fact the TA is contacted.

Erika

Jean, thank you, even though i am quite happy staying with our TA I have considered calling the cruise line and booking directly with them. The most obvious reason is changing rooms and not having to wait on our TA if over a weekend. Our TA is very good at getting back to me even if it is a weekend. I already decide our cruises and room before I even call our TA.

Gay