NCL specialty restaurants Question... Purchase in Advance or wait till onboard?

CleoSushi

Hi there,

Does it make sense to reserve the specialty restaurants prior to boarding? Do they charge you before hand? We will be with our young son, usually he picks from the usual kids menu so not sure if they would adjust/reimburse us for his not picking from the specialty menu?

Thanks,

Hi there,

Does it make sense to reserve the specialty restaurants prior to boarding? Do they charge you before hand? We will be with our young son, usually he picks from the usual kids menu so not sure if they would adjust/reimburse us for his not picking from the specialty menu?

Thanks,

Reservations open up for haven guest 100 days out and non haven guest 90 days out. They only open about 30% of the available times until embarkation. if at all possible make the reservation prior to boarding if still available. you may make them on board but due to the dining package offer that most people have received times fill up quickly , especially for larger parties. if you have to await boarding, arrive early to assure availability.

We were on the Jewel last week and had made 1 of our 3 reservations prior to boarding (we ended up eating at the specialty restaurants 4 nights - they were great!). We weren't with young children, so I'm not sure how that's handled, but there were two times we tried to reserve and there was no available seating until 10:00. I'd book early if I was you. You can always cancel if you change your mind.

Hi there,

Thanks,

If you are making reservations at one of the a la carte restaurants such as Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Cucina there is no charge before hand.

i made 3 reservations 90 days out and had to give CC info and it's charged.

You must have booked a restaurant that has a flat cover charge like Teppanyaki or Moderno. You will be charged the cover charge at booking for those ( unless you have a SDP dining package to cover the meals ). The a la cartes are charged $0 at booking.

If you don't have a Specialty Dining Package and make reservations at the Teppanyaki restaurant or Moderno, you will be charged the full amount when making the reservation. You will be charged for your son, but if it still works the way it did, you will be credited (OBC I think) for his reservation if he eats off the free children's. If you book the a la carte restaurants, you will not be charged when you make the reservations, but will be charged at the restaurants based on what you order.

If you are interested in a certain time, I would book ahead of time to make sure you get the time you want and I would also suggest, if you are going to want to dine at the Teppanyaki restaurant you pre-book that, since seating is limited.

You must have booked a restaurant that has a flat cover charge like Teppanyaki or Moderno. You will be charged the cover charge at booking for those ( unless you have a SDP dining package to cover the meals ). The a la cartes are charged $0 at booking.

you made me question myself

i checked my NCL account and my credit card account...when i booked the 3 restaurants i was charged 35.40. the italian one, teppanyaki and ocean blue. i do realize ocean blue is an upcharge.

also i see on my account. Choice Promotion Service Charge:

$24.84

i got the internet pack and the 3 day SDP pack

so what is going on. should i have not been charged 35.40 on my CC? i hate that theres no email to NCL and you have to call for everything.

you made me question myself

i checked my NCL account and my credit card account...when i booked the 3 restaurants i was charged 35.40. the italian one, teppanyaki and ocean blue. i do realize ocean blue is an upcharge.

also i see on my account. Choice Promotion Service Charge:

$24.84

i got the internet pack and the 3 day SDP pack

so what is going on. should i have not been charged 35.40 on my CC? i hate that theres no email to NCL and you have to call for everything.

You were charged the upcharge for Ocean Blue. The 24.84 is the gratuity for your 3 sdp that you paid in your initial booking.

If you choose not to book before hand, make sure you book on embarkation day. You can always try to switch reservations earlier, but at least you have something booked. If you decide to cancel one of your specialty reservations while on board, any charge paid will be refunded as refundable OBC.

Also on some of the smaller ships (Dawn, Gem, etc) you cannot book Teppanyaki online; it must be done after boarding.