Naples port terminal to Herculaneum?

fraj1

Easily doable.

Just outside the port, along the major road that parallels the water (Via Cristoforo Colombo), you can catch a tram (Tram #1) that will take you to the Porta Nolana train station. The station is, I think, the first stop AFTER the tram takes a wide left off Via C. Colombo.

Here you will board the little regional Circumvesuviana train. Be sure to look for the line that is headed to Sorrento. The stop for Herculaneum is about 20 minutes on this train. The stop is called "Ercolano Scavi".

Once you get off the train, exit the station and walk downhill along the major road (Via IV Novembre). It is a straight walk of about 10-15 minutes, and at the end you will see the entrance to the ruins.

The Circumvesuviana trains run about every half hour throughout the day. You probably won't have a lot of extra time, but the Herculaneum site is small and spending 2-3 hours there is long enough to see most things that are currently open. (Major restoration projects are ongoing and several of the most stunning houses and also the Palaestra are currently closed.)

Edited by cruisemom42

Quite easy in that time frame. We normally use the Circumvesuviania Line train (runs every 30 minutes with no reservations) and get off at the Ercolano Scavi Station (its about a 10 min walk to the ruins). I recall it took about 20 min from Naples to the Ercolano Station. You can get to the Naples train station by using the Tram Line (it runs right in front of the port) or by taking a long walk (we can make it to the station in about 30 min). By the way, the train line that goes to Ercolano Scavi also continues to Pompeii Scavi (and eventually to Sorrento). For those with lots of endurance its possible to visit both Herculanaem and Pompeii on the same day (they actually sell a combination ticket that includes admission to both sites).

Hank

P.S. When Euro-Cruiser sees this thread he might add the local bus options (we have never used the bus).

Edited by Hlitner

The bus options stink, frankly.

You have several train options, all from Porta Nolana. If you're only going to Herculeneum (Ercolano Scavi) it's not worth the extra money for the Campania Express, the regular train only takes fifteen minutes.

You have a couple of options. There is the Naples - Sorrento line, which every tourist in the station will get on/wait for.

Locals know better and they'll use the Naples - Poggiomarino line if it come first, because it stops at the same station (Ercolano Scavi).

Here are the two schedules, take whichever one comes first:

Naples - Poggiomarino: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Napoli%20-%20Poggiomarino.pdf

Naples - Sorrento: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Napoli%20-%20Sorrento.pdf

• Like 1

Easily doable.

Just outside the port, along the major road that parallels the water (Via Cristoforo Colombo), you can catch a tram (Tram #1) that will take you to the Porta Nolana train station. The station is, I think, the first stop AFTER the tram takes a wide left off Via C. Colombo.

Here you will board the little regional Circumvesuviana train. Be sure to look for the line that is headed to Sorrento. The stop for Herculaneum is about 20 minutes on this train. The stop is called "Ercolano Scavi".

Once you get off the train, exit the station and walk downhill along the major road (Via IV Novembre). It is a straight walk of about 10-15 minutes, and at the end you will see the entrance to the ruins.

The Circumvesuviana trains run about every half hour throughout the day. You probably won't have a lot of extra time, but the Herculaneum site is small and spending 2-3 hours there is long enough to see most things that are currently open. (Major restoration projects are ongoing and several of the most stunning houses and also the Palaestra are currently closed.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand the tickets fro public transport in naples has changed, we used to buy U2 or U3 that covered buses and trains for the day,

anyone got experience of the new system?

do we need one way tickets now?

what are they called? is it the NA2?

Can be buy from the kiosk outside the port, so can use the tram and then train to ercolano?

In order to use two forms of transit, the tram and the train, between Naples and Ercolano (Herculeneum) you need the NA-2 Integrato, which costs €2,50.

If you can't get one from the kiosk or the newsstand near the tram stop you'd need an UNA Aziendale (€1,00) for the tram ride AND an NA-2 Aziendale (€2,00) for the train.

Edited by euro cruiser

there is another slightly more expensive option but good value if 3 or 4 of you

Taxis outside the port gate will offer you a 70 euros round trip option which will drop you off directly outside gates of Herculaneum and pick you up 2 hours later.

We got a young taxi driver who spoke good English and gave us his business card in case needed to contact him .No money changed hands until he dropped us back at the port

It worked well for us as my husband cant walk far so needed to conserve his strength for the actual exploration of Herculaneum

Inside [admission fee11 euros] guides were trying to persuade us to pay 40 euros for their services but as we already had cruisemoms comprehensive notes and had watched a documentary so managed well and at our own pace

When we visited Naples a few weeks ago, the tram system was not operating.You may have to look at other options to get to the train station.

Was it just a transportation strike, or some other reason?

CruiseMom, I would love to have a copy of your notes. You can send them to me at travelbug1948@hotmail.com. Many thanks.

I have had to temporarily stop sending these out. I need to update them a bit, and I have just had a computer meltdown, making it bad timing. There's a long thread on Herculaneum where folks have been requesting these. I will try to look there for requests once I have time to get to them again -- but as it is my busiest season at work, I may not get to them for more than a month.

cruisemom42

No one was able to answer the question as to why the trams were not running.There was however a lot of road works in the area. We spoke to three different locals while standing at the bus stop which is situated across from tram stop, waiting on bus to go to train station.All confirmed the trams had not been running for several weeks and there was no info as to when or if the trams would run again soon.

Accodingn to the ANM web site line 1 has been suspended since July 1, 2016 but it doesn't say why: http://www.anm.it/images/stories/PDF/linee_urbane/linea%201%20est.pdf

There's no such message on line 4, which runs on the same tracks along Via Cristoforo Colombo but does not make the turn on Corso Garibaldi as the #1 does. http://www.anm.it/images/stories/PDF/linee_urbane_16febbraio_2016/linea%204.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for your reply but we are leaving in two weeks for the cruise. I'll do some online research and should be fine.

Just sent you the notes. :o They should be okay just haven't been updated to reflect a few new closures for restoration.

I was just in Herculaneum in June and have to say the site is bustling with ongoing work. That's a good thing in terms of preservation but it can be a pain for visitors who want to see as much as possible. There are still a number of very good houses that are open, and don't miss the baths, the college of the Augustales, and the boat houses (underneath, where the bodies were recently found). The boat houses have been closed off and on but seem to be open this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
In order to use two forms of transit, the tram and the train, between Naples and Ercolano (Herculeneum) you need the NA-2 Integrato, which costs €2,50.

If you can't get one from the kiosk or the newsstand near the tram stop you'd need an UNA Aziendale (€1,00) for the tram ride AND an NA-2 Aziendale (€2,00) for the train.

This is just a one-way ticket, right? So we'd need to buy the same to return back to the port?

And it's cash only?

• 6 years later...