Chair hogs being fined in Italy

It appears that chair hogs are not just limited to cruise ships. Perhaps Royal should subcontract to Italy's Coast Guard to patrol the pool decks.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/6-ways-you-can-get-fined-while-traveling-abroad-160249186.html

Last week authorities in Italy announced that they would start fining beachgoers for prematurely snagging spots on the sand. Getting a prime location to set up your beach chair and towels can be a competitive sport on busy beaches. But it’s gotten so bad in parts of Italy that visitors are setting up umbrellas early in the morning, or even the night before to claim a spot.

To crack down on the phenomenon, officials launched operation “Safe Sea” which consists of confiscating beach gear left out overnight. According to La Repubblica, last weekend the coast guard seized 37 deck chairs and 30 umbrellas in the city of Livorno. In Ascea, 70 umbrellas and 50 deck chairs were taken into custody. As punishment, rule breakers are fined 200 euros ($222 USD) to get their stuff back.

Good fine them all.

• 3 weeks later...
I like seat savers in the theatre. One person is saving a whole row. Umm, me thinks not. When I arrive and sit in one of the 6 seats aunt Ethel is saving, she says " these seats are saved." I say, "thanks, that was very kind of you", and sit down

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great line. We arrive to the theater early and consider the seat savers pre entertainment. Watching one or two people scurrying about trying to save multiple seats and telling others "theses are saved". Good for a laugh.

Great line. We arrive to the theater early and consider the seat savers pre entertainment. Watching one or two people scurrying about trying to save multiple seats and telling others "theses are saved". Good for a laugh.

The Best was when we went into the theater and the front row had a young boy ( maybe 9 or 10 yrs old) on one end and a girl around same age on the other end. When some one would go to that row they would say sorry we were told to save these for our family. By the time the "family" got there quite a bit later there was only 4 seats left. The mom and dad looked and said to the kids I thought I told you to save this row what happened? The people sitting there just shrugged!!

The Best was when we went into the theater and the front row had a young boy ( maybe 9 or 10 yrs old) on one end and a girl around same age on the other end. When some one would go to that row they would say sorry we were told to save these for our family. By the time the "family" got there quite a bit later there was only 4 seats left. The mom and dad looked and said to the kids I thought I told you to save this row what happened? The people sitting there just shrugged!!

Yep, makes for excellent preshow entertainment.

So, if someone comes out at 8AM and stays in the lounger until say 1PM, are they a chair hog? :confused:

Couple A goes down to the pool at 7 am, claims two lounges (stuff on the lounge), goes to breakfast, comes back and stays on the lounges all day long, leaving at 4 pm, with only a break for lunch, maybe a dip in the pool.

Couple B goes down to the pool at 7 am, claims two lounges and doesn't return until after 1 pm.

Which one is the chair hog? :rolleyes:

I don't know what the right answer is. I think if the person is actively in the area then that's ok. For instance, we just got off the Allure. Went down, got our chairs. We immediately went in the pool with the kid. We were there for *awhile* before heading back to our chairs. Should we lose our chairs because we were swimming? How do you police that?

But yes, I dislike the whole "come out at 8am and don't sit in the chair until 1pm" thing. We saw plenty of that on the Allure. While we were at the pool at 8:45, there was an entire row by the pool (second row upstairs) that had towels and such on it at that time, but nobody showed up (completely dry, so hadn't been in the pool) until after 12.

I hate that. A couple of seats is fine, but an entire row is rude.