Gala Nights & Tuxedo

josper

My husband and I travel only with carry-ons and "Packing Light.com" is excellent for packing formal wear plus 5 days of clothes sensibly for a cruise. I always bring either a gown or very dressy cocktail dress and he brings a full suit/tie. We have learned over the years to pack smart and do laundry just once onboard on sea day-it's a great time filler whilst I read and enjoy a glass of wine. ;) No one else notices or cares if you wear the same suit or dress twice either. Dress and wear what makes you feel good in the moment with your wife or husband or love of your life.

My husband will be wearing a tux with you this fall on the Koningsdam. On the 3rd we will only be midway across the Atlantic, so if you disembark then you may miss a couple Gala nights;)

Thanks - We are on the entire Transatlantic portion :)

We've only been on one cruise in the Med this summer, but I loved how a good majority of the men and women dressed up - dark suits, tuxes and gowns for our gala nights. The wives were gaga over their spiffy husbands. Wear what you want, but really wear what your significant other loves to see you in! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

(Bold is mine) This is it in a nutshell for us. Just on the K in July and lots of glitz and glamour. My DH loves to wear his tux and I take long gowns or long black skirt with top and different jackets. We dress for our pleasure and never feel out of place.

For the past 30 years we have been cruising - all with HAL (other than a Baltic cruise with Oceania). For many reasons we have an affinity with HAL, not the least being the superb service provided by the Indonesian and Filipino crew. We miss the Formal nights as we both like to dress up for these occasions. My question. We are travelling on the Koningsdam (Oct 24 to Nov 3rd, 2016). Would a Tuxedo on a Gala Night look completely out of place?. Thanks for your feedback

Bring your Tux! :) We're also onboard and DH will be wearing his as well as a few others we know who will be wearing their Tux as well!

We are also on the Koningsdam TA and my tux and DW's gowns will be packed - wouldn't have it any other way! How can it be a "Gala Night" with non-Gala clothing??

BTW, check out our roll call and sign up for the spreadsheet. We already have 153 people signed up! Click on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2170584

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread, after I had a few extra pounds left in my suitcase I just packed my own long black velvet dress, which I have not been taking on the past few cruises. And missed it. DH always takes his tux.

Just got a new suitcase that only weighs 5#, so I get a little more leeway now. Ultra light "i-t" luggage- stiff sides, rolling. Lighter than my former Tutto or roll duffle bag. We'll see if it holds up on its first trip through airline baggage land.

And will it go under the bed? That is what I liked about my Tutto - the side frames collapsed and slid easily under the bed, same with the rolling duffle but they were both at least 10# tare weight to start off with.

For the past 30 years we have been cruising - all with HAL (other than a Baltic cruise with Oceania). For many reasons we have an affinity with HAL, not the least being the superb service provided by the Indonesian and Filipino crew. We miss the Formal nights as we both like to dress up for these occasions. My question. We are travelling on the Koningsdam (Oct 24 to Nov 3rd, 2016). Would a Tuxedo on a Gala Night look completely out of place?. Thanks for your feedback

Unfortunately, I cannot agree with the majority of other responses to your question. We have sailed a reasonable number of days on HAL ships and I’m afraid, the tux is an endangered species. Last winter, on the World cruise, one evening I noticed a total of two other tuxes in the MDR, and on another evening I saw only one other. I have always cruised with several tuxes, but lately on Gala nights, I have felt so overdressed that I have taken to wearing a dark sport jacket with a tie. I’m afraid the formal dinner in the MDR is a thing of the past. Sorry ‘bout that.

Scott & Karen

How about mixing it up a bit ? DW my tux and me in one of her outfits !!

On our first cruise (Carnival, 1989), in addition to the hairy chest and belly flop contests, they had a men's nightgown competition. Ick.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Not certain why so many people are so concerned about conformity. It is not all that it is cracked up to be.

If wearing your tux gives you and your spouse pleasure why not continue to do so?

Does it really matter if you may be in the minority on some cruises? Go and have a great time on your cruise, avec tux, and don't sweat the small stuff.

• 10 months later...

Last time I wore a tux on a cruise was 2009 and, coincidentally, was a HA Baltic. I stopped wearing it after that because it quit fitting me and after 20 years of faithful service the pants had started to look a bit worse for wear. For our TA in 2013 I just took a dark suit and for our 4-day Mexico I'm pretty sure I just went with slacks and a dress shirt.

However, I've just bought a spiffy new tux for a black-tie wedding we're attending in November and I'm pretty certain I'll be wearing it for our trans-pacific on Volendam next spring. I enjoy wearing a tux and don't really get the opportunity to do so in everyday life, so to me it's worth dragging it all the way to Japan to get a couple of extra goes in it.

Unfortunately, I cannot agree with the majority of other responses to your question. We have sailed a reasonable number of days on HAL ships and I’m afraid, the tux is an endangered species. Last winter, on the World cruise, one evening I noticed a total of two other tuxes in the MDR, and on another evening I saw only one other. I have always cruised with several tuxes, but lately on Gala nights, I have felt so overdressed that I have taken to wearing a dark sport jacket with a tie. I’m afraid the formal dinner in the MDR is a thing of the past. Sorry ‘bout that.

Scott & Karen

I agree with you. My husband used to wear one on each gala night, but after two HAL cruises in a row with him being in the distinct minority. He stopped packing it and our last two cruises he dressed more casually. He felt so overdressed in the tux and figured why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums