QSine? Newbie Questions.

watchdiva

Wow. Talk about different experiences. Went once on Silhouette with my daughter and we thought it was just ok, though the service was very good. Next cruise my husband and I were given a free meal at Qsine (no idea why). We figured may as well go. After an hour and a half and two items, we had enough and left. The waiter was nonexistent and the food was just not good. Went up to the buffet to actually eat. Hit or miss, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...

+

Thanks for all the information and opinions about Qsine, offered by so many people, above. Still, we (party of two) are seeking two bits of missing info ...

We have studied the menu (at the "X" site and here at the forum) in great detail, and we know exactly what we want to order -- for all "courses," so to speak. What we don't know is this:

1. Will we be required to order everything, including dessert, in advance? Or can we eat the first (one or more) items, and then, only if still hungry, order some more items -- and then order dessert only if we are still hungry? We would like to avoid waste (i.e., galley's preparation of things that we will not actually eat, because we got full sooner than expected).

2. Suppose we don't like something, or there is far too much of it. Can we abandon part of an item and move on to the other things we have ordered?

3. There are so many things on the menu that we would like to try that we think that we will probably dine in Qsine two or three times (while being aboard for a very long time). Even though we have been using "personal" computers for over thirty years, we have never used (or even seen) an iPad. We have no idea how to use one, and we don't want to use one in this situation. [Learning would be for another day, place, and time. Eating and having fun would for our dining hour.] Each time we go to Qsine, we will bring our order in writing. We would like to give the order (orally or in writing) to our waiter, relying on him/her to place the electronic order. Will the waiter comply, or will he/she try to force us to use the iPad -- even if we mention that we plan to dine there two or three times?

Thanks, in advance, for every helpful reply.

Edited by jg51

+

Thanks for all the information and opinions about Qsine, offered by so many people, above. Still, we (party of two) are seeking two bits of missing info ...

We have studied the menu (at the "X" site and here at the forum) in great detail, and we know exactly what we want to order -- for all "courses," so to speak. What we don't know is this:

1. Will we be required to order everything, including dessert, in advance? Or can we eat the first (one or more) items, and then, only if still hungry, order some more items -- and then order dessert only if we are still hungry? We would like to avoid waste (i.e., galley's preparation of things that we will not actually eat, because we got full sooner than expected).

2. Suppose we don't like something, or there is far too much of it. Can we abandon part of an item and move on to the other things we have ordered?

3. There are so many things on the menu that we would like to try that we think that we will probably dine in Qsine two or three times (while being aboard for a very long time). Even though we have been using "personal" computers for over thirty years, we have never used (or even seen) an iPad. We have no idea how to use one, and we don't want to use one in this situation. [Learning would be for another day, place, and time. Eating and having fun would for our dining hour.] Each time we go to Qsine, we will bring our order in writing. We would like to give the order (orally or in writing) to our waiter, relying on him/her to place the electronic order. Will the waiter comply, or will he/she try to force us to use the iPad -- even if we mention that we plan to dine there two or three times?

It shouldn't take more than 15-20 seconds to get the hang of using the Ipad for the purpose of placing your order even if you haven't used one before (it is very user friendly and doesn't require you to be knowledgeable with Ipads). That said most servers would not object to you placing the order orally (or in writing if you want to go that route). Generally you do not order dessert until the end of the savory courses, but do order all the savory courses upfront. You can ask them to stop if you become full and there are still some outstanding savory courses. Sometimes you can also request dishes be delivered in smaller portions so you can try more of the menu; i.e. we have requested just one of the meatballs for the meatball course. Some servers are more open to this accommodation than others in my experience dining there. If you do not like an item or feel the serving is too large, you certainly can leave what you don't want on the plate and move on to the next course.

Edited by Gonzo70

+

1. You order dessert last after you have finished the other courses. You can order new courses throughout your meal - the same item again or new items if you want more.

2. Yes, if you don't like something, or you can't finish something, just have the wait staff take it away and they will bring you the next item.

3. We had never used an Ipad before and it took us 15 seconds to figure it out the first time. If not, the staff will instruct you how to use it or punch in your order for you. It is very simple. This will not be an issue for you.

We love Qsine and eat there once on each cruise. It puts the "fun" back into dining! It is usually just the two of us and it is still fun. We like some items better than others, but there is so much to choose from. Some of those items are our favorites in any of the specialty restaurants. You can eat there 2 or 3 times on a cruise and still be able to try new things. The biggest temptation is to order too much the first time.

Edited by El Crucero

It shouldn't take more than 15-20 seconds to get the hang of using the Ipad for the purpose of placing your order even if you haven't used one before (it is very user friendly and doesn't require you to be knowledgeable with Ipads). That said most servers would not object to you placing the order orally (or in writing if you want to go that route). Generally you do not order dessert until the end of the savory courses, but do order all the savory courses upfront. You can ask them to stop if you become full and there are still some outstanding savory courses. Sometimes you can also request dishes be delivered in smaller portions so you can try more of the menu; i.e. we have requested just one of the meatballs for the meatball course. Some servers are more open to this accommodation than others in my experience dining there. If you do not like an item or feel the serving is too large, you certainly can leave what you don't want on the plate and move on to the next course.

1. You order dessert last after you have finished the other courses. You can order new courses throughout your meal - the same item again or new items if you want more.

2. Yes, if you don't like something, or you can't finish something, just have the wait staff take it away and they will bring you the next item.

3. We had never used an Ipad before and it took us 15 seconds to figure it out the first time. If not, the staff will instruct you how to use it or punch in your order for you. It is very simple. This will not be an issue for you.

We love Qsine and eat there once on each cruise. It puts the "fun" back into dining! It is usually just the two of us and it is still fun. We like some items better than others, but there is so much to choose from. Some of those items are our favorites in any of the specialty restaurants. You can eat there 2 or 3 times on a cruise and still be able to try new things. The biggest temptation is to order too much the first time.

Thanks to both of you for the marvelous information and advice. You have put us much more at ease -- and looking forward to visiting Qsine even more than we were before!

+

We've done Qsine twice & will do it again on our Jan.22 cruise. I'll try to help here.

1)No, not at all! just order course by course. It's like a tapas(small portions)You'll find them not too filling.

2)If you know in advance what you don't like, you can skip the item. Mostly it's about dining from foods from around the world. If, for example you don't care for Indian food much(me), you just choose from a different region. Each course is quite small, so no real fear of "wasting" a lot of food. You can then ask to have your next course. It comes out depending on how fast or slow you choose to eat. You'll not have courses stacking up!

3)Think of the Ipad as a big smart phone. I never used one either & it was surprisingly easy! I doubt the waiter will have any issues with a written order. He can input it on the Ipad for you. We're foodies & pretty much wiped out the food items on the Ipad in one seating. This meal is more about exploring your culinary horizons than anything else. Strict "Meat & Potatoes" people would probably be overwhelmed by the choices. The more selections you choose, the more time you'll spend. It's really an adventure in dining.

+Thanks for all the information and opinions about Qsine, offered by so many people, above. Still, we (party of two) are seeking two bits of missing info ...

You can order whatever you want, in whatever order you prefer.

If you want to try a lot of different items, explain that to your waiter and ask for small portions.

Then when you discover something that you really like, you can always ask for more.

The key is to be selective.

Eat only the things you really like and leave anything that is just blah. Don't fill up on the fillers like bread, or potatoes or rice but save room for the good stuff.

We have them remove the bread basket and we peel most of the breading off any breaded items.

Our personal preference there is to order the items that are special to Qsine, so we don't order things that we can get at the buffet or in the main dining room.

Certainly. You have all the flexibility you want.

Sometimes we have even seen someone at a nearby table eating something that looked interesting, so we asked our waiter about it and added it to our order, even though it was not something we had ordered originally.

I think you are erroneously comparing it to the learning curve of first learning to use a computer. Using the iPad in Qsine is nothing at all like that.

At least give the iPads a try. There is really no learning involved. It is more of a toy, something fun to play with, certainly more appealing than ordering from a conventional menu.

You are just looking at pictures of all the items as you scroll back and forth, adding items to your order, or removing them as you change your mind, discovering something else that looks like it would be fun to try.

Even after the waiter takes our order, we sit there still playing with the iPads while waiting for our first course to arrive.

We don't understand why some people say to organize a group as we have done it both ways and eat the same amount and variety of food either way.

The only advantage of going with a group that we can see is to enjoy the company of the other people.

The service is more personalized when there are just the two of us. It is slower with a large group as the waiters need to get around to all the people at the table instead of just serving us.

Edited by varoo

quote:

"We don't understand why some people say to organize a group as we have done it both ways and eat the same amount and variety of food either way.

The only advantage to going with a group that we can see is if you enjoy the company of the other people."

Hi, just to respond to your not understanding.....I think people say go

as a group in order to try more items, not to see if they enjoy the company

of others (that may play a part but in my opinion, that would be secondary.)

There are many people who are not going to try 10 items if they go

as a couple....but if you have a group of 8 or 10, then certainly ordering

more choices would be more feasible.

I have been several times over the years......sometimes with 2 or 3

other people and sometimes with a larger party. I always cruise solo

and if I ever went to Qsine on my own.......I would maybe choose 3

items....they serve enough food for an army:eek:

We've done Qsine twice & will do it again on our Jan.22 cruise. I'll try to help here.

1)No, not at all! just order course by course. It's like a tapas(small portions)You'll find them not too filling.

2)If you know in advance what you don't like, you can skip the item. Mostly it's about dining from foods from around the world. If, for example you don't care for Indian food much(me), you just choose from a different region. Each course is quite small, so no real fear of "wasting" a lot of food. You can then ask to have your next course. It comes out depending on how fast or slow you choose to eat. You'll not have courses stacking up!

3)Think of the Ipad as a big smart phone. I never used one either & it was surprisingly easy! I doubt the waiter will have any issues with a written order. He can input it on the Ipad for you. We're foodies & pretty much wiped out the food items on the Ipad in one seating. This meal is more about exploring your culinary horizons than anything else. Strict "Meat & Potatoes" people would probably be overwhelmed by the choices. The more selections you choose, the more time you'll spend. It's really an adventure in dining.

I've had zero interest in Qsine and have heard plenty about it on CC in the past couple of years. Just not big eaters so always felt it would be such a waste. But the way you describe it - a chance to explore diff regions/culinary horizons - is definitely making me reconsider. :)

Edited by Flafun888

Hi, just to respond to your not understanding.....I think people say go

as a group in order to try more items, not to see if they enjoy the company

of others (that may play a part but in my opinion, that would be secondary.)

There are many people who are not going to try 10 items if they go

as a couple....but if you have a group of 8 or 10, then certainly ordering

more choices would be more feasible.

I have been several times over the years......sometimes with 2 or 3

other people and sometimes with a larger party. I always cruise solo

and if I ever went to Qsine on my own.......I would maybe choose 3

items....they serve enough food for an army:eek:

Thanks for the explanation, Lois.

I think it basically just comes down to difference in personal preference.

Instead of ordering 3 items, I would probably order tiny sized portions of 8 or 10 items.

When we go as a couple, we ask for very small portions and they have been quite good about it.

For example, instead of ordering a tombstone dessert and splitting it, we order half of one tombstone dessert and split that.

Next time I think we may even try asking for a quarter of one to share, just to keep the calories down. :D

The first time we ate there, we didn't realize that they automatically include additional accompaniments with some dishes.

But once we became familiar with Qsine, we found that they are usually willing to personalize portion sizes for you, especially on the orders that come with more than one item. We may request just a small amount of something to taste, or ask please bring only this and leave off that.

If it is a dish that is already pre-plated, at worst they may reply just to eat as much as you want and leave the rest, the way they sometimes do for the pre-plated selections at the Elite breakfast.

The reply may also vary depending on which waiter you happen to get. ;)

We had our first celebrity everything including qsine on our recent transatlantic on Silhouette. We enjoyed it at the discounted $25 rate that we got, but both felt it would not have been worth the regular price. We were so FULL! I suggest checking out the menu ahead of time. If it looks good to you, go for it! I have a review of our trip that includes pics for qsine

Food here on the board, if that helps.

Thanks for the explanation, Lois.

I think it basically just comes down to difference in personal preference.

Instead of ordering 3 items, I would probably order tiny sized portions of 8 or 10 items.

When we go as a couple, we ask for very small portions and they have been quite good about it.

For example, instead of ordering a tombstone dessert and splitting it, we order half of one tombstone dessert and split that.

Next time I think we may even try asking for a quarter of one to share, just to keep the calories down. :D

The first time we ate there, we didn't realize that they automatically include additional accompaniments with some dishes.

But once we became familiar with Qsine, we found that they are usually willing to personalize portion sizes for you, especially on the orders that come with more than one item. We may request just a small amount of something to taste, or ask please bring only this and leave off that.

If it is a dish that is already pre-plated, at worst they may reply just to eat as much as you want and leave the rest, the way they sometimes do for the pre-plated selections at the Elite breakfast.

The reply may also vary depending on which waiter you happen to get. ;)

Everything is about personal preferences...that is correct....and I try

to have an open mind about it all but as for ordering 10 very

small orders of choices.....some of the items cannot be reduced. But

thank you for the suggestion.....:)...who knows, maybe I will go on

my own next month. My favorite one is the M&M....that really cannot

be reduced....it is the large shadow box and it would be a bit silly to

leave 1/2 of the boxes empty.....I mean they could bring me some

of the items (lamb chops for example) but that would kind of defeat

the purpose of how all that wonderful Mediterranean food is served.

But my point was you asked about not understanding why people say

go as a larger group.....I stand by my answer.....so they can order

"the regular size" of many, many, MANY choices.

Edited by Lois R

I came back to this conversation because we actually DID have the "shadow box" tower (M&M??) and asked for certain items and that's all. We DID have some blank sections - didn't bother me a bit not to have every little window filled with a dish. We would have wasted them.

We always have asked for ONE meatball, not three. They come in three flavors. We liked the Kobe meatball so we asked for ONE to split. We split ONE filet.

We get ONE spring roll to split, not two each which is the order. ETC.

When we've gone as a group it's more fun just because more people. Yes, we've been at those tables where you have minimal contact with the people at the far end, but it *is* more congenial overall. We would get a couple orders of meatballs and pass around the plates and everyone would slice off a few bites.

We have never ordered things like sliders (boring, run-of-the-mill-can-get-any-old-day) or fish and chips, opting to leave off boring carbs and ordinary items.

I've had zero interest in Qsine and have heard plenty about it on CC in the past couple of years. Just not big eaters so always felt it would be such a waste. But the way you describe it - a chance to explore diff regions/culinary horizons - is definitely making me reconsider. :)

We loved Qsine & plan to go back on Jan.22 trip. As to not being big eaters, you can tailor the meal to your appetite. Portions are quite small, so you shouldn't get too full. I always go by "Auntie Mame's" rule: "Live,Live,Live! Life's a Banquet & most poor Suckers are Starving!"

I came back to this conversation because we actually DID have the "shadow box" tower (M&M??) and asked for certain items and that's all. We DID have some blank sections - didn't bother me a bit not to have every little window filled with a dish. We would have wasted them.

We always have asked for ONE meatball, not three. They come in three flavors. We liked the Kobe meatball so we asked for ONE to split. We split ONE filet.

We have never ordered things like sliders (boring, run-of-the-mill-can-get-any-old-day) or fish and chips, opting to leave off boring carbs and ordinary items.

Excellent explanation. DH and I have been thinking we want to try it. We were wondering about a strategy for ordering things from different cuisines, but doing so in a way as to not end up with enough food for ten people. Thanks!

Edited by galensgrl

When we've gone as a group it's more fun just because more people. Yes, we've been at those tables where you have minimal contact with the people at the far end, but it *is* more congenial overall. We would get a couple orders of meatballs and pass around the plates and everyone would slice off a few bites.

Hi Claudia, I believe we sailed together once...but I can't recall which

cruise.......thanks for your input on the M's......that is all the Mediterranean

food:D

Thanks, "keithm," "varoo," and "tweetylori," for your information and advice.

In our original message, "keithm," we wrote: "Even though we have been using "personal" computers for over thirty years, we have never used (or even seen) an iPad." We got quite a good laugh when we read these reassuring words of yours:

... Think of the Ipad as a big smart phone. ...

The reason we laughed is that we also have never used a "smart phone." We have only touched one once, and we don't know how to use one. We think we know what some of a smart phone's capabilities are (phone/Internet/camera), but we have never wanted to have or use one, because everything was too tiny for our old eyes. We use a big monitor and full-sized keyboard with an old-fashioned desk-top computer, because that is what we need for our weak eyes and clumsy fingers!

Thanks, "varoo," for mentioning that we request small portions, "save room for the good stuff" by avoiding ...

... fillers like bread, or potatoes, or rice, ... [and] order the items that are special to Qsine ...

We want to respond, however, to these words of yours:

... At least give the iPads a try. ... You are just looking at pictures of all the items as you scroll back and forth, adding items to your order, or removing them as you change your mind, discovering something else that looks like it would be fun to try.

What you say would make sense to us if we were coming to Qsine "blindly." But, as we stated in our first message, we already know exactly what we want to order and eat, so we don't want/need to look at pictures, in order to make or remove choices. In other words, it would seem to be a waste of time for us to have to track down our already-chosen items within the iPad, bypassing the various things that we already know we don't want. We'd rather let the (experienced) waiter punch in the order.

... We enjoyed it at the discounted $25 rate that we got, but both felt it would not have been worth the regular price. We were so FULL! I suggest checking out the menu ahead of time. ... I have a review of our trip that includes pics for qsine food here on the board, if that helps.

Thanks, "tweetylori." You must have overlooked our mention of already having looked at the menu in detail, which helped us to plan up to three potential Qsine meals. We hope to be offered the great rate that you mentioned ($25), but are not optimistic about that, because we will not be on the same ship. Finally, we are grateful to you for the review that you posted -- with its fantastic photos (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426534). Even though the pictures of Qsine food were on page 8, we continued to view the entire 31 pages of the thread, all the while being grateful to you. We were pleased to be able to see, in advance, your photos of several of the items that we intend to order at Qsine (and the MDR too). We can hardly wait to be aboard our ship!

In our original message, "keithm," we wrote: "Even though we have been using "personal" computers for over thirty years, we have never used (or even seen) an iPad." We got quite a good laugh when we read these reassuring words of yours:

The reason we laughed is that we also have never used a "smart phone." We have only touched one once, and we don't know how to use one. We think we know what some of a smart phone's capabilities are (phone/Internet/camera), but we have never wanted to have or use one, because everything was too tiny for our old eyes. We use a big monitor and full-sized keyboard with an old-fashioned desk-top computer, because that is what we need for our weak eyes and clumsy fingers!

Thanks, "varoo," for mentioning that we request small portions, "save room for the good stuff" by avoiding ...

What you say would make sense to us if we were coming to Qsine "blindly." But, as we stated in our first message, we already know exactly what we want to order and eat, so we don't want/need to look at pictures, in order to make or remove choices. In other words, it would seem to be a waste of time for us to have to track down our already-chosen items within the iPad, bypassing the various things that we already know we don't want. We'd rather let the (experienced) waiter punch in the order.

Thanks, "tweetylori." You must have overlooked our mention of already having looked at the menu in detail, which helped us to plan up to three potential Qsine meals. We hope to be offered the great rate that you mentioned ($25), but are not optimistic about that, because we will not be on the same ship. Finally, we are grateful to you for the review that you posted -- with its fantastic photos (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426534). Even though the pictures of Qsine food were on page 8, we continued to view the entire 31 pages of the thread, all the while being grateful to you. We were pleased to be able to see, in advance, your photos of several of the items that we intend to order at Qsine (and the MDR too). We can hardly wait to be aboard our ship!

Thank you for your nice response! We ALL hope you have a great time!

It's a unique experience. The food presentation is great; the taste, not so much.

Although taste is relative, I'm surprised that with SO many choices, you didn't like any of the food. As I said earlier, if someone is really "meat & potatoes" Qsine would probably be wasted on them.

So excited for you that you have your cruise to look forward to! I can assure you that if you have quoting and searching this cruise critic website, a little ipad is not going to intimidate you in the least. :D