GTY cabin not yet allocated

marter123

Hi, we are due to go on the Eclipse 17th September 2016, we have booked a GTY cabin but it has not yet been allocated, is this normal so late in the day?I can't print off my express pass yet as no cabin no.The website seems to be keep having technical issues. First time with Celebrity . Thanks

It can be hit or miss. My upcoming cruise was booked GTY and I was assigned within 2 hours. My first cruise was booked GTY and I was assigned the day booking closed. You can always call Celebrity or your TA and ask.

Don't wait any longer. Contact whomever you booked with, travel agent or Celebrity. I was caught up in that problem with a shortage of staterooms for the Sept 8th cruise to Greece and ended up taking a room downgrade and partial refund. But I was able to print my express pass a month ago . It just said GTY on it . I even requested luggage tags from Captains Club and I did receive them. I just have to fill in the room number.

You have a problem with the computer link with Celebrity. Call them.

Pat

Well... what a shower, just been ringing them and on hold for 30 minutes and gave up.

Have e mailed instead, we'll see what that brings.

This does not bode well for our first time with Celebrity

Don't wait for the email response. They are notoriously slow to respond if at all. Keep trying by phone. Failing that resort to social media which will probably get a response within 24 hours. The cruise is now sold out so all cabins should have been allocated.

We've had 2 GTY cabins and both have been allocated within 7 days of booking.

We are on the same cruise as you. Please let us know how you get on and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well just had a prompt reply to my email.

Apologies for long delay on phone due to last day of promotion and all phones busy!!

He said all GTY cabins are allocated automatically and can be as late as 48 hours before departure, so we shall see.

Thank you for your interest and Kevinyork have a good cruise , perhaps see you around.

Try not to worry. On our July Equinox cruise we booked a GTY balcony and I was checking everyday and nothing. Four days before the cruise we got a Concierge cabin. Our TA said it was a good thing to be allocated late. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's really hard to wait for the cabin you've been assigned to. Our last one was the worst. We didn't find out which cabin we were assigned to till 3 days before the sailing date, after we had flown to Singapore. It took about a month after I decided to go for the guarantee suite. It was worth waiting for, as we got one of the best S1 suites. It is particularly worrying when you see your former cabin gone off the vacant cabin list and you still don't have one. I used to joke about sailing in one of the life boats.:D

Is this an upgrade booking for you or just a new one? I think when they assign cabins, they move people around (sometimes for an extra charge, if it's an upgrade for them) and it takes time for the assignment. Hope you get a great cabin and that you have a wonderful cruise.

We had booked an inside guarantee and were assigned our stateroom the night before sailing. We checked our emails just before retiring for the night in our Ft. Lauderdale hotel. Surprise, we had been upgraded to an Ocean view. Patience sometimes pays off. Hope you get a good cabin assignment.

Johanne

Well just had a prompt reply to my email.

Apologies for long delay on phone due to last day of promotion and all phones busy!!

He said all GTY cabins are allocated automatically and can be as late as 48 hours before departure, so we shall see.

Thank you for your interest and Kevinyork have a good cruise , perhaps see you around.

Call Captains Club, they can help and wait on the line is usually shorter...

I could only say that any time we have booked at GTY we have been assigned a few weeks before sailing, UNTIL just last week.

We booked at GTY inside cabin on the Infinity to Alaska. The sailing sold out long before we sailed, so you would think things had been arranged? Not so. We were part of a group sailing and everyone had been assigned except us.

I phoned the cruise line and TA, but no one could answer.

We were assigned a cabin the day before we sailed. Yes, we were happily upgraded to an outside. :D So, I figure the longer you wait, the better your chances.

However, being assigned so late, even the cabin steward was all confused. The welcome letters etc. in our cabin were addressed to the people that had been upgraded somewhere else, and yes their luggage also arrived. By dinner time it had all been sorted.

Keep your fingers crossed and just keep checking online!

....just keep checking,....just keep checking.....what do we do? ....we check :cool:

GTY cabins are a complete mystery to me. Does it mean you just pick a category (inside, balcony, ocean view, etc.), and let them assign you a cabin instead of picking it yourself? How much of a price break do you get by doing it that way? I haven't seen any posts where the people were disappointed with their assignment. Curious to see if this is an option for us in the future. We have always picked a balcony or a mini-suite. On X, the balcony is big enough for us. Thanks for any info.

I didnt know they could wait to tell you till almost boarding. Thats crazy..lucky i have patience.we just booked a GTY balcony for next October..we will see when we get a room assigned.

Have fun on cruise!

Shocked they are offering GTYs on cruises that far out, or is your booking through one of the large online TAs? They appear to offer more GTYs on group bookings.

Yes, they can tell you right up to being at the pier. That's the risk with booking the GTY and obtaining the cheaper rate for the cabin. At least in the US you can change to another available cabin in the same category if you are allocated early enough - something not possible to those booking GTYs in the UK.

Edited by villauk

GTY cabins are a complete mystery to me. Does it mean you just pick a category (inside, balcony, ocean view, etc.), and let them assign you a cabin instead of picking it yourself? How much of a price break do you get by doing it that way?......
Yes, you let them assign you a cabin instead of picking it yourself.

The guarantee is that you will get at least the lowest level cabin within the category you choose (e.g., w-suite, x-veranda, y-ocean view, z-inside) or above.

The amount of the price break can vary; there is no set amount.

Through a TA or direct? What are advantages and disadvantages?

You may book a guarantee either through a TA or directly with the cruise line.

Advantages are:

(1) cost savings - guarantees are typically priced lower than the categories where you pick your own cabin.

(2) chance of being upgraded, which frequently happens with a guarantee, but not always. It is a gamble.

For example, on a recent cruise we booked a W suite guarantee, which assured us of getting at least the worst S2 sky suite on the ship, which we were willing to accept as the price of the guarantee was much lower than the price of the S2.

With our usual luck, we were expecting to get the worst S2.

But we were pleasantly surprised and were assigned a CS.

Edited by fleckle

Through a TA or direct? What are advantages and disadvantages?

Some pax quote they got an upgrade when booking a GTY, however, a true upgrade is when you are allocated say an oceanview when you have paid for an inside guarantee. It's not reserving say an (X) GTY for a balcony and being allocated a 1C - that's just getting a balcony from your GTY balcony booking (your minimum will be a balcony cabin but ANY balcony cabin), same for a suite GTY (W) - any suite is NOT an upgrade - that's the minimum you will be allocated.

Unless, of course, X or your TA get it wrong big style like they did a couple of weeks ago when they oversold the balcony GTYs (X) on a particular sailing and then had to ask pax to downgrade to an oceanview in exchange for extra perks/compensation ;).

In our (limited) experience, it can go either way. We booked our first ever suite about a year ago; booked a W guarantee, expected an S2 but hoped for something better. Well, we were thrilled when we were assigned a CS! Giddy with success, we booked another suite guarantee on our next cruise. I told myself the worst I could get would be an S2 on deck 6 overlooking the lifeboats. Well, that's exactly what we got. In both cases, the low price made it worthwhile. The bottom line is, if the price is really good and you're sure you could accept the lowest category you booked, go for it.

You may book a guarantee either through a TA or directly with the cruise line.

Advantages are:

(1) cost savings - guarantees are typically priced lower than the categories where you pick your own cabin.

(2) chance of being upgraded, which frequently happens with a guarantee, but not always. It is a gamble.

For example, on a recent cruise we booked a W suite guarantee, which assured us of getting at least the worst S2 sky suite on the ship, which we were willing to accept as the price of the guarantee was much lower than the price of the S2.

With our usual luck, we were expecting to get the worst S2.

But we were pleasantly surprised and were assigned a CS.

Hi, thanks for all your replies, still waiting still checking, twice a day, no news yet.To add insult to injury today I checked my mobile phone bill and found the call to Celebrity has cost me £15.71, argghh!! This was for 30 mins on hold whilst listening to how wonderful Celebrity is, in the end I hung up. I realise the main culprit is my mobile provider which charges a premium for 0844 numbers, so beware. Will let you know when I get a cabin.Thanks for all your interest.