Naples to FCO

lifeasme123

The cruise we are looking at ends in Naples at 100pm. I am looking at a fly out of FCO for 850pm.

Would this give us enough time? I assume we would be out of the terminal about 3pm.

1. How long is the train ride from Naples to FCO?

2. Is there a train that will take us straight to the airport?

Otherwise, our option is to wait until the next day. This will be the end of our 3 week trip so I am really not looking forward to staying one night in a hotel. TIA

A little search on trenitalia, here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

will answer all your questions. Note: you can only look at schedules out 4 months, but they don't change a lot.

As the train station is a very short walk from the port, this will be pretty easy to do.

Cruise ending at 1pm? Really?

Edited by CruiserBruce

A little search on trenitalia, here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

will answer all your questions. Note: you can only look at schedules out 4 months, but they don't change a lot.

As the train station is a very short walk from the port, this will be pretty easy to do.

Cruise ending at 1pm? Really?

I am at a loss here. At the website, what do I put in for FROM/TO? I tried FCO - that didn't work. I also typed in "Rome" and the airport did not show up in the drop down list.

For Naples port, do I use Napoli Centrale?

Edited by jen70

I am at a loss here. At the website, what do I put in for FROM/TO? I tried FCO - that didn't work. I also typed in "Rome" and the airport did not show up in the drop down list.

For Naples port, do I use Napoli Centrale?

For FCO it is Fiumicino Aeroporto. Typing in "Fiu" a suggestion menu will appear, and the complete name will be there.

Yes, Napoli Centrale.

I was looking at a map of Napoli. If you have a lot of bags, you might consider a cab to the train station.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I would not say the main train station in Naples, Stazione Centrale (where you need to go to catch the high-speed train to Rome) is a short walk from the port. :confused:

It's probably easiest to take a taxi to the station if you have more than a single piece of luggage (or two pieces you can stack or otherwise manage). There is an express bus that goes from the port to the train station to the airport (Alibus); the stop near the port is in Piazza Municipio, which can be a 10-15 minute walk (or more depending on where your ship docks).

The high-speed trains to Rome take just over an hour and depart with some regularity throughout the day. There is no train that will take you directly to the airport. You'd take the fast train to Termini, then the airport express to FCO. Total transit time on the train(s) would be about two hours.

If you don't leave the ship until 3:00 pm, then you may be a bit short of time. There is a 3:20 train (probably not going to make that) and a 4:00 with transfer that gets you to FCO around 6pm. Just barely enough time for an 8:50 flight, and no room for error really...

I assume since you are from the US that you are flying back there -- is there really a flight leaving at 8:50pm to the US?

Edited by cruisemom42

I would not say the main train station in Naples, Stazione Centrale (where you need to go to catch the high-speed train to Rome) is a short walk from the port. :confused:

It's probably easiest to take a taxi to the station if you have more than a single piece of luggage (or two pieces you can stack or otherwise manage). There is an express bus that goes from the port to the train station to the airport (Alibus); the stop near the port is in Piazza Municipio, which can be a 10-15 minute walk (or more depending on where your ship docks).

The high-speed trains to Rome take just over an hour and depart with some regularity throughout the day. There is no train that will take you directly to the airport. You'd take the fast train to Termini, then the airport express to FCO. Total transit time on the train(s) would be about two hours.

If you don't leave the ship until 3:00 pm, then you may be a bit short of time. There is a 3:20 train (probably not going to make that) and a 4:00 with transfer that gets you to FCO around 6pm. Just barely enough time for an 8:50 flight, and no room for error really...

I assume since you are from the US that you are flying back there -- is there really a flight leaving at 8:50pm to the US?

Thanks for the detailed info!

If I read your post correctly, then there is no direct train from Naples to FCO, correct? Is it easy to train at Termini Rome?

The flight at 850pm is to London, then to the US the next day. I thought staying in London is easier since there are hotels within the airport. We would not have to carry all our luggages - just our overnight bags. If we stayed overnight in Rome to catch a flight the next day, we would have to take all our bags to the hotel.

I would love any advice or suggestions. We are a group of 9 (4 adults, 3 children and 2 seniors) - I am appreciative of your advice regarding shuttle or taxi to Napoli Center.

Edited by jen70

There is no direct train. Even if there was, it would likely be a slower train that wouldn't get you there in time.

Termini is a big station but it's flat and the Airport express (actually called the Leonardo Express) leaves from one of the main tracks, so it should not be too difficult to transfer yourselves. You will have to manage all your luggage off and on the trains -- there are no porters.

Regarding your transport in Naples -- with such a large group it might make sense to pre-arrange something. I don't know of any options offhand, but if eurocruiser sees this, she might be able to help. She's a wealth of info re: Naples.

I'd be of two minds regarding your plans to fly to London. Yes, you don't have to schlep your luggage, but on the other hand, if your plans go awry for some reason, you have some extra time built in. You could get yourselves to Rome, stay at the airport (there are a couple of Hiltons -- one is attached, one has a shuttle to the airport and is very close) and fly out in the morning.

Others on this board are certainly more knowledgeable than me when it comes to distance to the train station, etc., but for my two cents, if you are going to have to stay in a hotel anyway (in London) it just seems to make so much more sense to not have to rush out of Naples, transfer trains with luggage and get to the airport on time for a flight. Why not stay in Fiumicino, as Cruisemom suggested. I suspect with that 8:50 flight to London is on BA, and I know they have flights in the morning. If it's a code share with AA, they definitely do. There are plenty of hotel choices at FCO. We even found a great seaside restaurant within about 15 minutes walking distance of one of the airport hotels when we stayed over for an early morning flight a few years ago.

Others on this board are certainly more knowledgeable than me when it comes to distance to the train station, etc., but for my two cents, if you are going to have to stay in a hotel anyway (in London) it just seems to make so much more sense to not have to rush out of Naples, transfer trains with luggage and get to the airport on time for a flight. Why not stay in Fiumicino, as Cruisemom suggested. I suspect with that 8:50 flight to London is on BA, and I know they have flights in the morning. If it's a code share with AA, they definitely do. There are plenty of hotel choices at FCO. We even found a great seaside restaurant within about 15 minutes walking distance of one of the airport hotels when we stayed over for an early morning flight a few years ago.

My reasoning, thought it may be not logical, is that we have already spent a week in Italy a week before the cruise already. By the end of our cruise, we have spent 3 weeks aboard and pretty much ready to go home.

I do like cruisemom's idea about staying at the hilton at the airport. I bet I can check our suitcases in.

You won't be able to check your luggage the night before a flight.

As for the London plan, do you have assurance from the airline that you would not have to claim your bags from the first flight and re-check for the morning flight? Most will not make a transfer that is not "direct". I would verify that if you are counting on it.

I really think the original plan makes for a far more stressful end to your vacation than simply staying at the Rome airport Hilton. It's an easy walk through the parking structure from there to the main terminals BUT if you are flying on a US-based airline (American, Delta, or United) on a direct flight to the States you'll need to depart from Terminal 5 at FCO. To get out there you'd need to take the shuttle bus from T3, or a taxi.

How long ago was this? The airport Courtyard was sold a few years ago and now the nearest one is 12 miles from the airport.

Oops -- obviously a few years ago. Sorry - I had no idea it was no longer there. In any event, there are definitely other hotel choices there.

You won't be able to check your luggage the night before a flight.

As for the London plan, do you have assurance from the airline that you would not have to claim your bags from the first flight and re-check for the morning flight? Most will not make a transfer that is not "direct". I would verify that if you are counting on it.

I really think the original plan makes for a far more stressful end to your vacation than simply staying at the Rome airport Hilton. It's an easy walk through the parking structure from there to the main terminals BUT if you are flying on a US-based airline (American, Delta, or United) on a direct flight to the States you'll need to depart from Terminal 5 at FCO. To get out there you'd need to take the shuttle bus from T3, or a taxi.

If I understood correctly, the OP was looking at the FCO-LHR-"USA" routings. Based on that:

I honestly would not count on the airline keeping your bags overnight in either place. I have done connections elsewhere when my connection time was more than 10 hours and I had to do the re-check just before the flight.

If the OP is still making the connection in Europe, the FCO Hilton is a good choice. I've stayed there frequently on my exits from Italy. It is indeed an easy walk - easy from the train station to the hotel and then from the hotel to T1 or T3 (which is where your intra-Europe flights would be).

If the plans change where you are going to go FCO-"USA"-"USA", then you will have to do that T5 special trip. But, honestly, it is no different from the FCO Hilton than another hotel outside of the airport. Just walk to connected terminal (I think it is T2) and catch the shuttle to T5. Or, there has been a shuttle that goes from the Hilton Garden Inn to the FCO Hilton to the terminals.

As for the London plan, do you have assurance from the airline that you would not have to claim your bags from the first flight and re-check for the morning flight?

I have done virtually the same connection - in our case, FCO-LHR-overnight-YUL - and they kept our bags overnight at LHR. No claiming/rechecking necessary, despite it being a 22-hour connection. In fact, as our LHR-YUL flight was more than 24 hours after we checked in for our FCO-LHR flight, we actually had to check in online for the 2nd flight from our hotel room in London, and collect the boarding passes the next day at the BA counter.

I have done virtually the same connection - in our case, FCO-LHR-overnight-YUL - and they kept our bags overnight at LHR. No claiming/rechecking necessary, despite it being a 22-hour connection. In fact, as our LHR-YUL flight was more than 24 hours after we checked in for our FCO-LHR flight, we actually had to check in online for the 2nd flight from our hotel room in London, and collect the boarding passes the next day at the BA counter.

That's great - this happened in recent years, yes?

Thanks! I figured it was possible since BA has an option to add a "stopover" in London. I will definitely check.

After reading everyone's comment, I decided to go ahead and stay with the overnight in FCO before returning home. Thanks everyone!

Sorry I thought I figured this out. I am trying to use miles to go from FCO to US. There are no decent flights for our family of 3. I would have already taken over 3 weeks off work at this point and really would like to not have to take another vacation day if possible.

So if I buy a ticket from FCO to LHR, we can use miles to get from LHR to US. Flight that is available from LHR leaves at 10:05am (Tues). If i fly from FCO to LHR on:

• Tues (same day) -the flight arrives at 9:00am. That will not give us enough time to clear customs, gather our luggages, check back in, etc.

• Mon (night before) - last flight out to LHR available for our group size is at 815PM.

• Our cruise ends in Naples at 1pm. How long does it take to clear customs in Italy? Then we will take a train from Naples to FCO.

Otherwise I am back to the drawing board...

Sorry I thought I figured this out. I am trying to use miles to go from FCO to US. There are no decent flights for our family of 3. I would have already taken over 3 weeks off work at this point and really would like to not have to take another vacation day if possible.

So if I buy a ticket from FCO to LHR, we can use miles to get from LHR to US. Flight that is available from LHR leaves at 10:05am (Tues). If i fly from FCO to LHR on:

• Tues (same day) -the flight arrives at 9:00am. That will not give us enough time to clear customs, gather our luggages, check back in, etc.

• Mon (night before) - last flight out to LHR available for our group size is at 815PM.

• Our cruise ends in Naples at 1pm. How long does it take to clear customs in Italy? Then we will take a train from Naples to FCO.

Otherwise I am back to the drawing board...

There is really no customs to clear individually in Italy. As soon as the ship is cleared, you can depart. If you keep your luggage and do a self-disembark, you could be off fairly quickly. Then I'd follow the info I've given earlier in this thread if you want to get yourselves to FCO.

Here's a thought -- have you looked at flights from Naples Airport to LHR? That would be a whole lot easier on you all.

There is really no customs to clear individually in Italy. As soon as the ship is cleared, you can depart. If you keep your luggage and do a self-disembark, you could be off fairly quickly. Then I'd follow the info I've given earlier in this thread if you want to get yourselves to FCO.

Here's a thought -- have you looked at flights from Naples Airport to LHR? That would be a whole lot easier on you all.

In the US there are separate lines for citizens vs non-citizens. If I read your post correctly there is no difference (in how long it will take to go through customs) if I am a US citizen or not.

I did look at Naples. The problem is that some of the people in our group already purchased r/t tickets to/from FCO. They are relying on me to help them get to the airport.

In the US there are separate lines for citizens vs non-citizens. If I read your post correctly there is no difference (in how long it will take to go through customs) if I am a US citizen or not.

It's not that there are no lines (separate or not). There literally is nothing to clear. You exit the ship, you pick up your bags (if you set them out the night before) and off you go.

• 3 weeks later...
The Hilton Garden Inn at FCO has a very easy shuttle that drops off directly at T5. Very easy if you are headed to the US. I prefer it to the regular Hilton for that reason.

However, if you're going to another airport in Europe, either Hilton is fine.

The hilton at the airport is sold out (for the date I need) already!!! Booking accommodations here is like booking accommodations for Alaska.:eek:

Any suggestions for other hotels or places for a group of 8 + 1 young child. We need something for one night after the cruise.

As suggested by many on this board, we will take a train up from Naples, stay overnight in Rome and then off to Toulosse France.

The hilton at the airport is sold out (for the date I need) already!!! Booking accommodations here is like booking accommodations for Alaska.:eek:

Any suggestions for other hotels or places for a group of 8 + 1 young child. We need something for one night after the cruise.

As suggested by many on this board, we will take a train up from Naples, stay overnight in Rome and then off to Toulosse France.

Did you try the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport or just the regular Hilton?

The Hilton Garden Inn is very close; actually on the airport property just beyond the long-term parking. There is a frequent shuttle to all terminals.