Carnival Vista Destroys Dock & Sinks Boats in Messina

FlaMilkman

it's kinda crazy, i really wonder what 'allowed' that to happen - in terms of whether the captain / crew improperly estimated the effect of their passing, etc. or whatever else.

i bet there will be a better marina and those affected will have nicely refurbished or nicer boats haha.

it's funny they link vista to 'costa' and the 'costa concordia' - it's nowhere near that level of criminal negligence... but a more naive or passive negligence, perhaps. i haven't paid attention, i'll go see what others are saying on the other thread(s). would love to see what cheng has to say about it.

Can't help but wonder what the insurance coverage is on a cruise ship. Passenger claims, employees claims, damage to the ship and damage caused by the ship.

ciao

I thought they self insured? So they directly absorb all costs related to any accidents.

Here's the original thread that was posted right after it happened. Has a couple good pics and a firsthand account of someone who was there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395566

shhhhhhhh. i don't think you're supposed to post in this thread anymore. you're going to get us in trouble. lol.

im going to go read it now. it really is kinda shocking if this is as i see it. to some of the other comments - the captains are from italy, who needs a pilot... fuggetaboutit. lol.

what were they thinking

The pilot is not in control of the ship. I once took the "Behind the Fun" tour on Carnival Magic (I visited Messina on that cruise) and during the Q&A with the captain on the bridge I asked that question, if the pilot controls the ship in the port. His answer was simple. "No. The pilot knows the port, I know the ship".

There is another video taken from a different angle that makes me think that wind played a factor even though it appears not too windy. Looks like as the ship was departing and sailing through the narrow part, wind from the starboard side caused the ship to over rotate and the stern got too close. This ship has "azipods" which are a lot more powerful than thrusters. It was probably the main propulsion system pushing all the way to one side and not just thrusters of the type you find at the bow or stern in ships with shaft-mounted propellers.

http://www.adnkronos.com/2016/09/03/disastrosa-manovra-della-nave-crociera_TCI9w6hlzhcRgbnr2aUWFP.html

The pilot is not in control of the ship. I once took the "Behind the Fun" tour on Carnival Magic (I visited Messina on that cruise) and during the Q&A with the captain on the bridge I asked that question, if the pilot controls the ship in the port. His answer was simple. "No. The pilot knows the port, I know the ship".

There is another video taken from a different angle that makes me think that wind played a factor even though it appears not too windy. Looks like as the ship was departing and sailing through the narrow part, wind from the starboard side caused the ship to over rotate and the stern got too close. This ship has "azipods" which are a lot more powerful than thrusters. It was probably the main propulsion system pushing all the way to one side and not just thrusters of the type you find at the bow or stern in ships with shaft-mounted propellers.

http://www.adnkronos.com/2016/09/03/disastrosa-manovra-della-nave-crociera_TCI9w6hlzhcRgbnr2aUWFP.html

You are 100% right. However, lets consider this scenario. Lets say the pilot gave the captain/crew incorrect information and this was an emergency action taken by the captain to avoid a collision that was about to occur as a result of pilot's instructions. If this was the case the captain did the right thing. His first responsibility is safety of his ship and his passengers. Yes, its completely hypothetical and the truth is we don't know what happened on the bridge.

There is one exception to the captain always being in control and that is the Panama Canal. Its the only port in the world where the pilot takes full command of the ship. The reason for this is because its captain duty to always place the safety of his ship and passenger first. The pilot's priority on the other hand is the safety of the Canal.

In this video it can be seen that a crew member in white uniform appeared to be filming the whole event from the overhanging thingy at the corner of the ship.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think the crew member was filming it. More than likely he was using some sort of camera/device that measures distance. You can see him at least one time look through the device and then get on his radio. I am only assuming, but I'd say he was checking the distance and radioing the info back to the bridge. I'm not saying he definitely wasn't filming it, but I don't really think he was.

As far as wind being a factor, that was my first thought when I saw the video for the first time a few days ago. Wind can have a major factor in navigation, particularly with a ship this large. I haven't seen anything in any of the videos I've seen that would indicate it was windy, but I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in what happened.