Free select drinks package

KPRH

Thumbs up from me. The dude is mixed up in his interpretation.

we were told the only way to Upgrade was when we get onboard. mmm now that option has doubled in cost.

Being in the US I am not aware of the deal you gat.

If RCCL gave you a perk (Standard Beverage Package at no Cost) and told you that:

1. You cannot upgrade this package or purchase a different one at any point until you are on board, and

2. The upgrade price to Premium would only be $10-$15/day.

I can see your point, as it seems like they HAVE broken their word.

This Baloney of bookings from different countries is and has always been confusing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Colarado

nothing is ever FREE - especially when RCI advertise it in the UK. These costs (or at least a large part) are in the prices. It is a PR gimmick for that month's sale.

If you pay for something it's not a courtesy - just saying.

Hey I am going cruising and that is all that matters to me!:)

I think there are two issues here -

I wanted to upgrade from Select to Premium but was told it couldn't be done until on board in October

and now

Select no longer exists, so how will Guest Relations know how much to charge as an upgrade?

As far as I can work out Premium would have cost me £8 more and Deluxe will be £11 that is if they use a base price of £30 which Select would have cost on 5th September.

And before anyone kicks in with US Dollar price comparisons, I'm in the UK and booked and paid in £ sterling - lol :)

1. the package is not free -the prices go up to reflect the free package- the new offer of free deluxe put the cruise I had been looking at up $900 for 2

2 If you had been promised OBC when you booked and you didn't get it because of a policy change would you be happy?

3. This is about what we were sold both by phone reps and what it said on there web page and still after the info about deluxe had been released on here- So it is about false advertising and selling

They aren't taking away your drinks package, YOU STILL HAVE IT! If they took away OBC I was promised, or a drinks package that came with my booking, yeah, I'd be mad, but I'd also make sure that what I was offered was reflected on my invoice, so I had written documentation of the deal I made with my purchase.

You were offered a select drinks package as part of your purchase, they didn't take that away. Just because a phone rep told you it would cost $15 to upgrade, does not make a contract, and does not mean they took something away from you. It very well may have cost $15 at that time. Now it doesn't. I guess it's too bad you're sailing after September 6th, I don't know what else to tell you, I still can't understand why you guys are making a legal case out of it.

And yeah, I'm sure prices go up to reflect the freebies that are offered, just like the base price always goes up when they offer the BOGO50 sales. You paid for it anyway, so it's useless to make the argument that you deserve something more than you contracted for. I wanted to buy the drinks packages that were offered prior to the switch also, but I didn't get to because my cruise is too far away and their offerings have changed. Too bad for me. Again, I'm not writing emails to the CEO or starting any "it's not fair" petitions over it. You guys are being unreasonable and slightly ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If RCCL gave you a perk (Standard Beverage Package at no Cost) and told you that:

1. You cannot upgrade this package or purchase a different one at any point until you are on board, and

This Baloney of bookings from different countries is and has always been confusing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bosco

1) they can still upgrade their package on board, it's just that now the packages have changed and the only option is to upgrade to a higher priced item, so they are mad that they have to pay more money and feel entitled to pay the lower price. I guess if they get to buy the premium package still, then I want it to, and I want it for the sale price even though it's not offered in my cruise planner [emoji57]

2) The upgrade to premium was $10-$15 at the time they were given that info. The packages changed yesterday and now the prices are different. Make sense? They haven't been cheated, they just want the old price, that doesn't apply to their sail date.

3) They still have their free select drinks package. Free beer and wine. Still have it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I'm thinking I won't just finish my wine if it's no longer cold as I normally would - It will be a new glass of wine just about every time I get half way through. I also won't put up with any that are not to my taste - dump and re-order. DH will be doing the same with his beer - off ice cold - its a new one. I am also going to try invent wine and sparkly cocktails - if they are not pleasant dump them.

On our last pack for a week we had 2-3 wines a day and 1- 2 cocktails / beers - Don't think that will be the case this time:D

It would be no different than being unhappy at a buffet restaurant and repeatedly throwing away plates of food just to show your displeasure. Sorry but that is just my opinion.

No need to respond as I know how you feel already.

bosco

I guess we can all differ in opinions..

However when I am explicitly told that if I book the cruise today for x, and can then upgrade for Y once I am onboard, and then the option disappears, then I have been lied to.

End of story..

Whether I get the original package is irrelevant.

Bottom line is had we known the full extent of what the upgrade would cost, it would have swayed us to cruise with an alternative line, as we could have got a better deal across the board.

Also in respect of people saying its a free package or addition. It isnt, its just a sales gimmick and the cost is added to the cruise. RCCL quite simply like to think of us Europeans as too dumb to notice.

The week after I booked my cruise, lo and behold the same cabins were £385.00 pp cheaper....... Now where did I see that number before,.....oh yes on my Select package on my invoice...£385.00

So yes we have paid for it, just in a convenient ,one easy payment way

The big difference, had we booked the drinks packages seperately we could have upgraded long ago....because they included it we couldnt upgrade.

Now in what way exactly is that fair....

Now to throw in another example of the money grabbling robbing nature of RCCL...

My invoiceshows the Select package at £385.00 , and if I got to put the Delux package in my cruise cart its £585.00

A difference of £200.....wow Im a maths genius...

Yet RCCL want to charge us around £300 to do it onboard.

Allwe want is the opportunity to upgrade at todays prices,just like everyone else....

Ill happily upgrade at todays rate, even though Im still being shafted, but to be forced to wait another 10 months and made to pay another £100 is like being robbed by Pirates !!!

bosco

Spot on.

Exactly what happened.

I think the difference in price should be given in the form of OBC so we do not have any extra costs.

Got a reply from Mr Bayleys office. Was this the same as everyone elses ?

"Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We are in receipt of your correspondence to Mr. Bayley and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the teams in copy.

I am sorry to learn of the displeasure conveyed as a result of the recent changes to our beverage packages. We are currently reviewing your correspondence and will follow up with you upon the completion of our review.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We look forward to communicating with you in the near future. "

I guess we can all differ in opinions..

However when I am explicitly told that if I book the cruise today for x, and can then upgrade for Y once I am onboard, and then the option disappears, then I have been lied to.

End of story..

Whether I get the original package is irrelevant.

Bottom line is had we known the full extent of what the upgrade would cost, it would have swayed us to cruise with an alternative line, as we could have got a better deal across the board.

Also in respect of people saying its a free package or addition. It isnt, its just a sales gimmick and the cost is added to the cruise. RCCL quite simply like to think of us Europeans as too dumb to notice.

The week after I booked my cruise, lo and behold the same cabins were £385.00 pp cheaper....... Now where did I see that number before,.....oh yes on my Select package on my invoice...£385.00

So yes we have paid for it, just in a convenient ,one easy payment way

The big difference, had we booked the drinks packages seperately we could have upgraded long ago....because they included it we couldnt upgrade.

Now in what way exactly is that fair....

Now to throw in another example of the money grabbling robbing nature of RCCL...

My invoiceshows the Select package at £385.00 , and if I got to put the Delux package in my cruise cart its £585.00

A difference of £200.....wow Im a maths genius...

Yet RCCL want to charge us around £300 to do it onboard.

Allwe want is the opportunity to upgrade at todays prices,just like everyone else....

Ill happily upgrade at todays rate, even though Im still being shafted, but to be forced to wait another 10 months and made to pay another £100 is like being robbed by Pirates !!!

I understand the frustration because you missed out. I guess it's a good lesson to make sure you get promises in writing. Next time (or even now, if you happen to call RC and get someone who promises you a lower price on the package), ask for an email that states a disclaimer that you can upgrade your package on your sailing date for X price. If the promise is really reputable, they will offer you OBC for the amount of money that you are out, so you can offset your cost, and they will email you a new invoice with that OBC listed as a good faith. If they don't do that, they aren't promising you anything, they're just saying stuff and they aren't bound to it.

Chances are they'll never agree to that officially, because the small print always says "prices subject to change" and also usually says something about prices reflected aren't applicable to all sailings. This was probably the case when you booked too, and because you chose to book anyway, even with the risk of the price being subject to change and/or the prices not being the same for your particular ship or sailing, they don't owe you anything. Buyer beware, and always get it in writing.

On my last cruise I made several changes, and I had a couple of hiccups that ended up with Royal giving me various amounts of OBC at different times for the same sailing. I had over 5 new invoices emailed to me because I asked them to send an updated one every single time, and I waited on the phone each time until I got it. At one point it got so complicated that I asked for an email from the resolutions agent I was working with, and he was happy to send me one, and it was very detailed. I printed out all of it and took it with me on my cruise, just in case.

For those of you who are calling Royal, or emailing Royal, and getting vague answers, it's probably because they are appeasing you, and aren't really able to make you any promises, or to "contract" with you for any specific price on the upgrade, they're giving you a best case scenario and hoping it works out for you. And chances are, some of you will sail on a date or ship where the price for the deluxe package is even higher than it is being offered at today. That's just the way it goes. It sucks for you, it sucks for the people who have to wait til they're on board to use their OBC to buy it, and it sucks for those who can't purchase yet because it's not in the cruise planner. But we all have the cruise booked anyway, and if the risk is so high that if I don't get X package for X price, I would have sailed a different line, then I guess I should just sail that line anyway just in case. If you stick with this line and this sailing with the risks in place, then you've contracted to accept the risks. Sorry.

EDITED to add: If your original deal explicitly said "free select package with option to upgrade for $15," then the invoice would say that. If the agent told you that, or the travel agent told you that, or it said that on the website, then you should have made sure a copy of that claim was on the invoice for your booking, if it was important to you. I HIGHLY doubt that the website explicitly promised a guaranteed option to upgrade for $15, it's far more likely that there was a lot of fine print under there stating that it reflected current prices and offerings and was subject to change. People rarely read the fine print, and rarely ensure that the "promised" item is reflected in writing on their invoice, but they are quick to try and cash in after the fact. Due diligence can be worth a lot.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Got a reply from Mr Bayleys office. Was this the same as everyone elses ?

"Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We are in receipt of your correspondence to Mr. Bayley and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the teams in copy.

I am sorry to learn of the displeasure conveyed as a result of the recent changes to our beverage packages. We are currently reviewing your correspondence and will follow up with you upon the completion of our review.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We look forward to communicating with you in the near future. "

Good luck, I hope they clear this up to your benefit. Your points are well taken and I can understand how you are not that happy.

bosco

i dont disagree with the legal implications of what you are saying, or the context of it, and to be honest Im comfortable with what we paid for the cruise, and whats included.....

However.......

Just seems to be bad business practice that you are willing to lose loyal Diamond and Emerald cruisers over something that would be so easy to fix.

Lets be honest, Royal is not what it was even 5 years ago, with cutbacks across the brand...

Ive still not got over the loss of the old chocolate buffets going back about 10 years , :D:):p

On a weekly basis it seems the reasons for staying loyal are being depleted

This is a matter of principal and morality, not law. We cant win on that angle.

i dont disagree with the legal implications of what you are saying, or the context of it, and to be honest Im comfortable with what we paid for the cruise, and whats included.....

However.......

Just seems to be bad business practice that you are willing to lose loyal Diamond and Emerald cruisers over something that would be so easy to fix.

Lets be honest, Royal is not what it was even 5 years ago, with cutbacks across the brand...

Ive still not got over the loss of the old chocolate buffets going back about 10 years , :D:):p

So very true! As I also miss the midnight and chocolate buffets, I understand that budget cut, well, maybe:rolleyes: ; however, I really do miss the very simple and not-as-costly little mint chocolates left on the bed pillows before retiring for the night!!;) That was like hearing a little voice saying goodnight and sleep tight! I do miss that!:(

However.......

Understandable. I remember the chocolate fountains too, and the midnight buffet on the pool deck, those were fun.

I think that Royal has definitely cut back and they have gotten comfortable in thinking that they won't really lose many loyal cruisers, and I'm sure that up to this point, their bookings show this, so they'll keep pushing the limit. People complain that it's gone downhill, but they still book and still give them money, and Royal assumes that their reputation won't be ruined much by complaints from people who balance out the complaints with booked sailings.

I think they also are able to cash in on new bookings. People travel more nowadays than they used to, and as long as they can fill ships, they probably don't care if it's loyal cruisers or new cruisers. Actually, they probably prefer new cruisers, because they aren't getting free drinks in the diamond lounge or getting balcony discounts etc. New cruisers are more enchanted by all the "for fee" touristy stuff on the ship because they've never seen it, never done it, and they are more free with their wallets because they're on a novel and new vacation experience. Loyal cruisers might book more often, but they aren't spending as much money, and Royal feels they are capable of replacing those loyal cruisers with new ones if they leave. It's Business 101 that it's easier to keep a customer than to gain a new one, but Royal seems to be able to defy that "rule" and will continue to push it until their sales fall.

I think that if you really want to get the new package for the old package price, I would set aside some time to call and try to find a customer service agent who will agree to give you $210 of OBC per person ($30 price difference times 7 days), and that will cover the cost. Work your way down to $15/day from there (if they don't agree to $30), but also beware that by the time you sail, the price difference might be even more. Make sure they email you a new invoice where the OBC is listed, and ask for the agents name, direct phone number (if possible) or some identifying employee number. Be nice, be persuasive, and let the agent know that you aren't blaming him/her and are asking for them to please help you. Good luck.

However.......

Cutbacks, WOW, if you've cruised both RCCL and Celebrity over the years you can sure say that again. Now that Celebrity has been placed in the hands of an EX Royal Caribbean genius the cutbacks have made Celebrity no different than Royal and a few others.

Nothing like paying more than we did for a 16 ounce (pound) can of coffee for what is now the standard 11.3 ounce can of the same coffee.

Will still cruise but wish we would get back that pound can of coffee without paying 300 a day for it.

OMO

bosco

Cutbacks, WOW, if you've cruised both RCCL and Celebrity over the years you can sure say that again. Now that Celebrity has been placed in the hands of an EX Royal Caribbean genius the cutbacks have made Celebrity no different than Royal and a few others.

Nothing like paying more than we did for a 16 ounce (pound) can of coffee for what is now the standard 11.3 ounce can of the same coffee.

Will still cruise but wish we would get back that pound can of coffee without paying 300 a day for it.

OMO

bosco

I think all the cruise lines are testing the limit of cut backs. I can actually see how this is working though, because it works on me. For example, I've read similar complaints on the NCL (Norwegian) cruise boards, but as a new customer, I find myself discounting the complaints. I look at what the cruise line currently offers and I don't compare it to the "old days." I'm also not really comparing it much to Royal Caribbean, because I'm looking at it as a new experience and a new vacation option. If others are thinking like I am, then the cruise lines can easily cut back, but still look appealing to new customers.

Hotels are doing this too. They all started charging the "resort fee" years ago, and even though people complained, people still booked, and now nobody says anything about it anymore. Same with airlines I suppose. Baggage fees, no airline meals, smaller seats etc...still filling planes. People want to travel more than they want to boycott [emoji53]

I think there's a lot of uproar about this coming from people who got a FREE drinks package and were offered the chance to upgrade as a courtesy.

I was told I could buy the non-alcohol drink package for my daughter "any day now," two months ago, but guess what, I still can't buy it because it's still not available in my cruise planner. And now the price is going up, and the 20% discount might be gone. Does it kind of suck to miss a sale, yeah, but I'm not starting any petitions over it and saying "it's not fair." Sheesh you guys, you can still upgrade your FREE package if you want to, you'll just be in the same situation everyone else is, having to deal with the new packages and prices. I don't understand why you guys think you're entitled to something else?

It was not free, it was part of the cost of the cruise. No difference if they decided to remove the OBC. I selected this cruise at this price because of the OBC and drink package knowing that I would be able to upgrade to the package I wanted.

I guess it's too bad you're sailing after September 6th, I don't know what else to tell you, I still can't understand why you guys are making a legal case out of it.

No one is asking you to tell us anything. We aren't getting what we we promised and we are not happy and I personally don't care about your take on it.

No one is asking you to tell us anything. We aren't getting what we we promised and we are not happy and I personally don't care about your take on it.

Look at your invoice. THAT'S what was promised to you. Do you see anywhere on there where Royal Caribbean promised you a $15/day upgrade option? Didn't think so. Nobody promised you anything other than the free select drink package.

It was not free, it was part of the cost of the cruise. No difference if they decided to remove the OBC. I selected this cruise at this price because of the OBC and drink package knowing that I would be able to upgrade to the package I wanted.

Who told you that you could upgrade? If your choice of a cruise was dependent upon a specific option to upgrade your drink package, shouldn't you have made sure that you were actually guaranteed to do so? Looks like you were hoping for the best and it didn't work out for you. Read the fine print next time, and get your promises in writing.

I would also like to call bullsh!t on you, because in February, AFTER booking your cruise, you said, and I quote

"I am so sorry because I am sure this has been asked and answered and answered and answered and answered and answered but I'm frustrated looking for it.

We got a select beverage package included with our booking and I assume that's beer and wine. What is the cost to upgrade to the next one, Premium? And am I stupid but what can't I find the cost of the packages in the RCCL site?

Thanks in advance for not yelling at me and telling me that if I had searched enough, I'd have found it :)"

That doesn't sound like the words of someone who booked a cruise specifically knowing they would be able to upgrade for $15, it sounds more like someone who got a free drinks package, didn't even know what the drinks package contained, and found out later they could upgrade to another package. [emoji57]

I would also like to call bullsh!t on you, because in February, AFTER booking your cruise, you said, and I quote

"I am so sorry because I am sure this has been asked and answered and answered and answered and answered and answered but I'm frustrated looking for it.

We got a select beverage package included with our booking and I assume that's beer and wine. What is the cost to upgrade to the next one, Premium? And am I stupid but what can't I find the cost of the packages in the RCCL site?

Thanks in advance for not yelling at me and telling me that if I had searched enough, I'd have found it :)"

That doesn't sound like the words of someone who booked a cruise specifically knowing they would be able to upgrade for $15, it sounds more like someone who got a free drinks package, didn't even know what the drinks package contained, and found out later they could upgrade to another package. [emoji57]

TMTOYH. That was long before much research and final payment, it was in February...but you already knew that.

TMTOYH. That was long before much research and final payment, it was in February...but you already knew that.

First off, I have no idea what TMTOYH means.

If you did "lots of research," I assume you also realized that the $15 price upgrade wasn't guaranteed. I assume you read your invoice and noticed that nowhere on there did it state your cruise fare package came with the option to upgrade the drinks package for $15. You were happy enough with what was offered to book the cruise, and happy enough after all your research to continue on through final payment, now you're mad because you can't get another freebie.

Tell you what, go pay a lawyer a consultation fee, tell them your issue, show them the website and all your communications from Royal Caribbean, including your invoice (which is the actual agreement you made as to what you get for what you paid) and let us know if you have a case. My bet is on "no."

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Just had this from UK crown and anchor

Thank you for your email. I hope this day finds you well. I would like to advise you that as of Tuesday 6th September, our drinks plan has changed. Indeed we used to have three alcoholic packages (select, premium and ultimate) merged into one called the Deluxe. We are honoring guests who had Select drinks packages or Premium drinks packages without changing them. Unfortunately, the balance to upgrade has changed, since we now have Deluxe package only. Pricing is always subject to change without prior notice as per our Terms and Conditions. You will not be able to upgrade on board to a Premium package since we do not have it anymore. So, to upgrade on board, you are looking on or about 25-30 USD range (always subject to change). I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, it is really not up to me to establish these rulings. The upgrades are able to be done on board only.. If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us. Best Regards Yours Sincerely, Ari Cesar Carlo Martini Acevedo Crown & Anchor Society

Thats funny, I got this:

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email. I hope this day finds you well.

Thank you for your email regarding our new Drinks Package.

For your reference, we have made this change due to guest's feedback.

Therefore it is not our intention for you to feel that you have been

penalized or affected your holiday by having you to pay for a higher

upgrade amount. This decision has been reviewed carefully and the prices

have been set accordingly.

You will still be able to upgrade your package onboard. At the moment and

in accordance to the prices, we estimate that the upgrade fees would be in

between $15.00 - $20.00 per day. Kindly note: This price may still vary

upon sailing.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your understanding and

patience in this matter.

We look forward to welcome you on board.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact

us.

Best Regards

Yours Sincerely,

Ari Cesar Carlo Martini Acevedo

Crown & Anchor Society | UK & Ireland

Royal Caribbean International |0844 493 4005

So, a big difference in the upgrade cost from the same person.