Free select drinks package

Where are people (both customers and RC) getting the $25-$30 to upgrade number? 'Regular' price of the SP is $39, Deluxe is $55, a $16 difference. Did the 'free' package get charged at a lower rate? I believe I saw £31 mentioned as the rate some were paying which converts to $41.32 (at today's rate). I have no idea how exchange rates are handled in this situation, but it seems to me RC is creating confusion where it is not necessary more than lying/cheating/stealing. I get being ticked about paying double, I am just not sure why you would have to. Based on my numbers, which could be just plain wrong, I don't know where the $25-$30 comes in.

Where are people (both customers and RC) getting the $25-$30 to upgrade number? 'Regular' price of the SP is $39, Deluxe is $55, a $16 difference. Did the 'free' package get charged at a lower rate? I believe I saw £31 mentioned as the rate some were paying which converts to $41.32 (at today's rate). I have no idea how exchange rates are handled in this situation, but it seems to me RC is creating confusion where it is not necessary more than lying/cheating/stealing. I get being ticked about paying double, I am just not sure why you would have to. Based on my numbers, which could be just plain wrong, I don't know where the $25-$30 comes in.

this is the price given to us by phone and email customer services and email by crown and anchor

QUESTIONS ANSWERED RE COSTS TO UPGRADE TO NEW RCI DRINKS PACKAGES FROM SELECT PACKAGE :

There's been lots of chat about the new drinks packages and what the options are for those currently booked to cruise with a Select package thrown in for 'free' - here are the confirmed details from RCI about our upgrade options - first email is confirmation on the costs (looks like they'll put us on Deluxe) and 2nd email explains that we pay 18% gratuity on the total cost to upgrade - not a gratuity per drink

If a guest has the All Inclusive promotion with the Select package, they will only be able to upgrade onboard for approx. $15pp plus grats. If a guest has pre-purchased the Select package and would like to change to the Deluxe package, they can contact our call centre to have the Select package cancelled/refunded and the Deluxe package booked under the new price.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Liz Topintzis

Executive Guest Relations | UK & Ireland

Explanation re gratuities :

Dear Gillian,

To clarify, on any purchase at the bar there will be a Bar Service Charge which is 18% usually.

If you upgrade your package to the Premium if the rate is $15 per day then you would be charged $15 per day plus the bar service charge.

So as long as it is $15 a day and the drinks service charge is 18% on a 13 Night Cruise you would pay:-

$15 x 13 nights = $195 per guest for upgrade plus 18% ‘bar service charge of $35.10 so in effect the upgrade would be $230.10.

Dear Gillian,

To clarify, on any purchase at the bar there will be a Bar Service Charge which is 18% usually.

If you upgrade your package to the Premium if the rate is $15 per day then you would be charged $15 per day plus the bar service charge.

So as long as it is $15 a day and the drinks service charge is 18% on a 13 Night Cruise you would pay:-

$15 x 13 nights = $195 per guest for upgrade plus 18% ‘bar service charge of $35.10 so in effect the upgrade would be $230.10.

Look at your invoice. THAT'S what was promised to you. Do you see anywhere on there where Royal Caribbean promised you a $15/day upgrade option? Didn't think so. Nobody promised you anything other than the free select drink package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1, It was stated on the website offers page (still was on the 5th even though the new info was out)

2. I have an email that I got before booking where I asked how much it would be to upgrade and was told in. the answer $10-$15 depending on ship.

3. I wouldn't guess at the laws in your country as you did for mine , however, just to update your knowledge - In Scotland - oral info/offers given out ARE legally binding - I don't know if it is in the rest of the UK as it is different law

4. As for being on the invoice why would it be we hadn't bought it yet we had just been promised it- In email writing, on the advert on the web and orally over the phone 2 of which are legally binding in my country the other falls under false advertising especially as still up on the 5th when they knew that it was no longer possible

Thats funny, I got this:

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email. I hope this day finds you well.

Thank you for your email regarding our new Drinks Package.

For your reference, we have made this change due to guest's feedback.

Therefore it is not our intention for you to feel that you have been

penalized or affected your holiday by having you to pay for a higher

upgrade amount. This decision has been reviewed carefully and the prices

have been set accordingly.

You will still be able to upgrade your package onboard. At the moment and

in accordance to the prices, we estimate that the upgrade fees would be in

between $15.00 - $20.00 per day. Kindly note: This price may still vary

upon sailing.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your understanding and

patience in this matter.

We look forward to welcome you on board.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact

us.

Best Regards

Yours Sincerely,

Ari Cesar Carlo Martini Acevedo

Crown & Anchor Society | UK & Ireland

Royal Caribbean International |0844 493 4005

So, a big difference in the upgrade cost from the same person.

Lol!! Unbelievable. If royal don't know we don't stand a chance!

QUESTIONS ANSWERED RE COSTS TO UPGRADE TO NEW RCI DRINKS PACKAGES FROM SELECT PACKAGE :

There's been lots of chat about the new drinks packages and what the options are for those currently booked to cruise with a Select package thrown in for 'free' - here are the confirmed details from RCI about our upgrade options - first email is confirmation on the costs (looks like they'll put us on Deluxe) and 2nd email explains that we pay 18% gratuity on the total cost to upgrade - not a gratuity per drink

If a guest has the All Inclusive promotion with the Select package, they will only be able to upgrade onboard for approx. $15pp plus grats. If a guest has pre-purchased the Select package and would like to change to the Deluxe package, they can contact our call centre to have the Select package cancelled/refunded and the Deluxe package booked under the new price.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Liz Topintzis

Executive Guest Relations | UK & Ireland

Explanation re gratuities :

Dear Gillian,

Dear Gillian,

Different answers from different people at royal. Yours does seem to be the most detailed and precise one.

and I got :-

I posted the email I got from customer services with the new upgrade prices from customer services and there response

reposted below

from me:-Issue: Hi as part of the offer at booking we were given the select beverage

package. On board we planned to upgrade this to the premium. However I

understand that a new drinks package comes out on the 6th sept and that

both the select and the premium will disappear. Will we still be able to

pay to upgrade on board and if so will we now need to upgrade to the new

more expensive deluxe beverage package? If so how much will that cost?

RCCL Response

We thank you for your email regarding your cruise holiday.

Yes, you will be able to upgrade to our Deluxe Package and you will need to

pay around $25.00 to $30.00 per day, person.

If you need anything else, please let us know. Thank you for your time.

Yours Sincerely,

Bryan Quan

Customer Service | UK & Ireland

Royal Caribbean International |0844 493 4005

So that is 3 different answers

I also got the same prices as did othesr from crown and anchor

Got a reply from Mr Bayleys office. Was this the same as everyone elses ?

"Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We are in receipt of your correspondence to Mr. Bayley and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the teams in copy.

I am sorry to learn of the displeasure conveyed as a result of the recent changes to our beverage packages. We are currently reviewing your correspondence and will follow up with you upon the completion of our review.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We look forward to communicating with you in the near future. "

No mine I got mine yesterday and it was more general - maybe they are starting to get the picture- the response I got is below

We are in receipt of your e-mail to the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. Your e-mail has been directed to my attention, and I welcome this opportunity to respond on Mr. Bayley's behalf.

Your concerns are currently being reviewed, and you will be contacted within the next few days for assistance.

Should we be starting to think rccl doesn't really want uk cruisers. We get offered the select package with the page online clearly saying we could upgrade to premium on board, now we can't. Add that to the way we are already discriminated against with the fact that US cruisers can book cruises then cancel before final payment without any penalty but we are not allowed to.

I had it before and got smirnoff ice no problem so do most people who have commented on here about it - they get smirnoff, breezers (if on board), hard lemonade and any ciders. Some have even said they got caribbean twist too. I will report when I get back

oooohhhh...hope that is the case, I might have other stuff to drink as I hate beer :)

Should we be starting to think rccl doesn't really want uk cruisers. We get offered the select package with the page online clearly saying we could upgrade to premium on board, now we can't. Add that to the way we are already discriminated against with the fact that US cruisers can book cruises then cancel before final payment without any penalty but we are not allowed to.

still waiting for the email but I have now been told that the free select folks will get to upgrade for the original price for me I have been told $10 + grats thats is the same price as last week on the same ship jewel

This info is from Mike Bayleys team

Edited by fragilek

BREAKING NEWS -I think it has been sorted - I am awaiting an emil to confirm - I have just had a call from Mike Bayley team I will post as soon as I have it in writing:D

I'm very curious to hear how this has been handled!

I have had a call earlier as well. He said they had been overwhelmed with complaints. When I receive in writing I will post what the deal is. I paid 16.5 dollars per day on navigator last week to upgrade to premium and all I will say at this point is that I will be delighted if what he said has gone ship wide is true.

I have added mike bayleys email in the rccl facebook page re this issue - If nothing else he is going to be cheesed off about this packaged charge as well as us ;)

Maybe someone with twitter could do the same

Not convinced it will help much

I think they delete pots they don't like...is it still there?

Got a reply from Mr Bayleys office. Was this the same as everyone elses ?

"Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We are in receipt of your correspondence to Mr. Bayley and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the teams in copy.

I am sorry to learn of the displeasure conveyed as a result of the recent changes to our beverage packages. We are currently reviewing your correspondence and will follow up with you upon the completion of our review.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We look forward to communicating with you in the near future. "

well it looks like they are taking a look at it, which is great :)

well it looks like they are taking a look at it, which is great :)

You must have missed my earlier post - It is sorted now I have been told $10 + tip. per day - same as it was on the jewel before the change- I also got the impression that that price may be fleet wide - but I may have misinterpreted that part

:D

still waiting for the email but I have now been told that the free select folks will get to upgrade for the original price for me I have been told $10 + grats thats is the same price as last week on the same ship jewel

This info is from Mike Bayleys team

I just got an email from the exec offices as well saying $10 per day plus 18% gratuity. I'm very glad that Royal is doing the right thing.

I just got an email from the exec offices as well saying $10 per day plus 18% gratuity. I'm very glad that Royal is doing the right thing.

And out of all the different prices that we all had been given from different fractions of the organisation it ended up none of them lol

1, It was stated on the website offers page (still was on the 5th even though the new info was out)

2. I have an email that I got before booking where I asked how much it would be to upgrade and was told in. the answer $10-$15 depending on ship.

3. I wouldn't guess at the laws in your country as you did for mine , however, just to update your knowledge - In Scotland - oral info/offers given out ARE legally binding - I don't know if it is in the rest of the UK as it is different law

4. As for being on the invoice why would it be we hadn't bought it yet we had just been promised it- In email writing, on the advert on the web and orally over the phone 2 of which are legally binding in my country the other falls under false advertising especially as still up on the 5th when they knew that it was no longer possible

1) If that's true, and there was NO disclaimer that said prices vary or are subject to change, then you're correct, they made an offer and have to honor it to those who made a purchase of that deal before it was taken down. But since nobody seems to be able to come up with a screenshot of that page, or anything written that shows that price was offered across the board, I'm doubtful.

2) The answer you got in your email makes it obvious that the pricing was not definite. They gave you a price range because the prices for the package vary based on ship, which further supports my assumption that there was likely a fine print disclaimer on the webpage. Without a definite answer for your ship and your sailing, you can't hold them to that price (although I wouldn't blame you for making a few phone calls to try).

3) The laws in the US are the same, a bait and switch is defined as "the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods." If you can prove they did this, you'd be entitled to more than a $15 upgrade for your drinks package, but again, I highly doubt that was what was truly advertised (again, fine print).

4) Verbal contracts are certainly legally enforceable...if you can prove it was actually said. If the guaranteed upgrade PRICE (not just the option) was included with the deal, I would most definitely expect it to be written in the fine print of your invoice, just like the terms of your OBC are.

If you can find someone who is willing to make this right for you, great, but legally nobody owes it to you, unless someone can prove the website offered it as part of the terms of the agreement, in which case you'd have a class action lawsuit on your hands and would be entitled to 3 times the money you are out.

[/color]

Very well said!!

If someone posts something on a public forum, you're asking for other's opinions. Just because it doesn't reflect what you want it to doesn't mean people should not speak up. I'm offering an alternative way to look at why people might be getting the feedback from Royal they seem to be getting, as it makes sense to me.

Seems the only reason to be mad about what I'm saying is because it makes sense and you don't have a logical argument to counter what I've suggested, other than "they told me I could do it on the phone," and "the website used to say..."

Edited by ColoradoGurl