Cruise review pre and post- Pearl 9/26/2016 w/ 11y autistic daughter, her ser...

We are 12 Days out. Today I started packing Tyr's suitcase.

Papers organized and binder-check

Food and water bowls -check

Dog food -Chuck

Lifejacket -check

Tyr's favourite blanket- Chuck

Vests and leashes -check

Toys- check

Poop bags-check

Mulch for potty box-check

Thank Tyr walks over.

"Mom I think you forgot something."

Lol, silly me.

6a1425f992f74b31187d6c6e9f5714de.jpg

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

That's a big, dobie-mix looking dog ... I'll catch the next elevator :) Enjoy your cruise

Tyr is no mix Dobies. He 100%; his ears are just not cropped. Lol[emoji38][emoji106] if you think he's big you should see his Daddy Thor. He pushes 110LB.

Tyr is a very gentle soul and he loves his Lydia; so please don't worry. [emoji6]

Tyr is no mix Dobies. He 100%; his ears are just not cropped. Lol[emoji38][emoji106] if you think he's big you should see his Daddy Thor. He pushes 110LB.

Tyr is a very gentle soul and he loves his Lydia; so please don't worry. [emoji6]

Thank you for not cropping his ears! I used to have a Great Dane and whenever I was out with her people would ask me what kind of dog she was because they didn't recognize she was a Great Dane without her ears cropped. It's so bad for them, so I wouldn't even consider doing it. I always chuckled that here I was walking this dog that's as big as a small horse and people didn't know what she was. LOL.

Looking forward to meeting Tyr. But, I promise not to pet him or distract him from his important job! :D

Looking forward to meeting Tyr. But, I promise not to pet him or distract him from his important job! :D

I'm not a fan of cropping either.

We are looking forward to meeting you too. And thank you for understanding about Tyr. [emoji4][emoji106]

Thank you for posting!

I have 2 autistic kids, both non verbal.

My DS (5) is a bad runner and escape artist. We have been thinking about getting a service dog for him and am excited to see how this works on a cruise!

Thanks!

First thing; your a great parent and doing the best you can for your children!!! You probably don't hear that enough.

Second, I really hope you you look into getting a service dog for your children. It has quite literally changed Lydia's life. And the life of our family. If you need information about getting a service dog please let me know.

Hope you enjoy out cruise postings. We leave in one week today. So I'll be posting more this week about pre-cruise prep.

We are looking forward to meeting you too. And thank you for understanding about Tyr. [emoji4][emoji106]

Of course! Just a couple days ago, I saw someone approach a service dog and start petting it without even asking or saying anything to the owner. The asked her to not pet the dog. Are people really that unaware that the dog isn't a pet? I would never want to distract a service dog from doing what it needs to be doing. It's just common sense.

Of course! Just a couple days ago, I saw someone approach a service dog and start petting it without even asking or saying anything to the owner. The asked her to not pet the dog. Are people really that unaware that the dog isn't a pet? I would never want to distract a service dog from doing what it needs to be doing. It's just common sense.

YES PEOPLE DO THIS EVERYDAY!!!! When Lydia is at school and Tyr is with me. I have to tell people everywhere I go not to pet him. I'm firm and straight forward "Please don't pet my service dog."

But when Tyr is with Lydia and people try do this.....lol. Well let's just say I sit back and enjoy the show. It really is quite fun to watch adults get lectured by an 11y how tells it like it is.

This is the best video that explains what it's like

When your out with a service dog.

Edited by Joyously Sailing Away

One week out from our cruise and today Tyr had his pre-cruise health check up. It went great as always and all the paper work is done in triplicate. Health certificate, vaccinations certificate, Canadian service animal border control certification. Everything faxed off to the cruise line! At this point I just need to finish packing and we are ready to go!!!

aabcbc3e88fb61bb07512fe7c704f27c.jpg

Wow! It is so great of you to take all this on! I hope you all have a great time!

My knowledge of service dogs is very limited, so I would really appreciate it if you could share with me (and others who don't know) what kind of support a service dog can provide to an autistic child.

Thanks!

Brad

Wow! It is so great of you to take all this on! I hope you all have a great time!

My knowledge of service dogs is very limited, so I would really appreciate it if you could share with me (and others who don't know) what kind of support a service dog can provide to an autistic child.

Thanks!

Brad

Here you go Brad. This is an article about autism service dogs and some of the jobs they preform. Enjoy

https://docs.google.com/document/d/109IpBT4nGM969MjhGmuBcKd4yZ0nhriOqKN_sL_r2F8/mobilebasic

Wanted to take time to really go over the paperwork for travelling with your service dog from Canada. It's also a good idea to carry copies of your dog service ID cards. You must have your Service Dog Training Certificate, and up-to-date health certificate done within 10 days before the cruise and the receipt for the health check up. A certificate of vaccination. The doctors letter prescribing the service dog for the person with disability. The completed international health certificate for dogs. I have also added a copy of the Canadian and American service dog act/ laws. As well as an artIt's also a good idea to carry copies of your dog service ID cards. icles about how autism service dogs work and then another article explaining what autism spectrum disorder is. These documents are done in triplicate and each set is placed in a manila envelope. One set is for the cruise line, one set is for you to carry on yourself at all times and another set is for security at all ports. This is what the whole package looks like. 41910396e59aaad274d56b9c39ca69b9.jpg