Dining on Coral Princess

warrior69

Interested in comments regarding dining on Coral Princess. I'm traveling with my partner who will be using a wheelchair during the cruise. We've selected Anytime Dining. Would appreciate any advice on how easy/difficult it is to get a table for 2 in main dining rooms without having to wait a long time. Also interested in comments regarding specialty restaurants, especially Sabatini's. My partner adores Italian food (as do I) but since he lived in Rome for 4 years he's rather particular.

Mike Mortensen

Interested in comments regarding dining on Coral Princess. I'm traveling with my partner who will be using a wheelchair during the cruise. We've selected Anytime Dining. Would appreciate any advice on how easy/difficult it is to get a table for 2 in main dining rooms without having to wait a long time. Also interested in comments regarding specialty restaurants, especially Sabatini's. My partner adores Italian food (as do I) but since he lived in Rome for 4 years he's rather particular.

Mike Mortensen

Going early or later will help alleviate the crowds. Depending on the maitre'd you might be able to setup a standing reservation.

I personally love Sabatini's. Here's a link to the menu...

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

I was on the Coral last Christmas- at 4:45 every evening, there was a line outside the door for seating.

You may be better off with Traditional Dining- and request a table for two. Then you will not have the risk of waiting in long lines.

Mike Mortensen

I was on Coral Princess for a 15 day Panama Canal transit in April 2016, and would second the suggestion to switch to Traditional Dining.

The dining rooms on Coral didn't seem to me to have as many 2 tops as does the larger ships, yet there's always plenty of demand.

But if you're set on Anytime, then I would suggest on embarkation afternoon, go with your partner to find the Maitre d' who will be working your dining room, take him aside, and explain your situation. On my cruise, I had a particular request, which I related in private to the Maitre d', and then provided him with a gratuity. (I did that because I wanted to and was grateful that I did, as my request was honored the entire cruise.)

Sabatini's is certainly worth a visit. Again, on embarkation afternoon, check your Welcome Princess Patter in the stateroom which may provide the dates for any formal nights or special events, to help you decide the night for Sabatini's. Then go visit the restaurant mid-ship where you can make your reservation, and also perhaps get a table assignment, given your partner's wheelchair. By at least pointing the circumstances out, this allows them to ensure a comfortable table while facilitating access.

Again, I would forego the dining line and do this in person. Embarkation afternoon is like a big "Open House" with people in each location to assist and take reservations in person.

I was on the Coral last Christmas- at 4:45 every evening, there was a line outside the door for seating.
I agree with that. We had a similar situation on our Panama Canal Cruise. There were so many people crushing the Anytime Dining Room entrance that people couldn't get off the elevator that was opposite the entrance. The ATD setup on the Coral is pretty bad. Only half a dining room is available for Anytime until around 7:30PM. We had an hour and a half wait one evening. People were sitting on the Piazza stairs with pagers. By far it was the worst Anytime experience on any Princess ship we've been on.

The dining rooms on Coral didn't seem to me to have as many 2 tops as does the larger ships, yet there's always plenty of demand.

That's what I experienced as well. Plus, most of the table for two were inches from another table for two, so there was no privacy whatsoever:

8654760895_81f709a50c_z.jpg

The Bayou Cafe is the other specialty restaurant on the Coral. It has excellent steaks and desserts (especially the Norman Love dessert!) and quite a few items not found on other Princess ships as it's only on the Coral and Island. We've dined there several times and always enjoyed it.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Bayou-Cafe-Menu-Sample.pdf

Edited by taxatty

That's what I experienced as well. Plus, most of the table for two were inches from another table for two, so there was no privacy whatsoever:

8654760895_81f709a50c_z.jpg

That's the same thing I experienced on the Coral. I do not like being two inches from the next table. If I were you I would go to Traditional Dining.

Tony

We were on the Coral August 2015 (Alaska). My spouse is in a wheelchair and we chose anytime dining. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes, and we ALWAYS requested a table for 2. However, it's true that the tables for 2 are inches from another table for 2. We found that most people seemed to be respectful of privacy, but on the other hand we also enjoyed meeting another couple on some nights. Our dining times would vary...we always went whenever we were ready....which is why we prefer anytime dining.

I also found the maitre d'/waiters to be very helpful with the wheelchair. They would take over and maneuver the chair through the dining room for me.

We leave on the Regal in a few weeks, and I am concerned anytime dining may not be as easy on such a big ship.

We leave on the Regal in a few weeks, and I am concerned anytime dining may not be as easy on such a big ship.

I wouldn't be concerned because it's a similar experience as on other ships & during my 6 weeks of ATD on the Royal & Regal it worked well for us to get a table for 2 when the Symphony opened or after 7:30 when Concerto reverts to ATD.

This was recently discussed & here's a link to it which should hopefully make your concerns go away. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400050&highlight=regal

Edited by Astro Flyer

Mike Mortensen

We didn't have a problem getting a table for 2 at ATD around 7:30-8pm.

I was on Coral Princess for a 15 day Panama Canal transit in April 2016, and would second the suggestion to switch to Traditional Dining.

But if you're set on Anytime, then I would suggest on embarkation afternoon, go with your partner to find the Maitre d' who will be working your dining room, take him aside, and explain your situation. On my cruise, I had a particular request, which I related in private to the Maitre d', and then provided him with a gratuity. (I did that because I wanted to and was grateful that I did, as my request was honored the entire cruise.)

Sabatini's is certainly worth a visit. Again, on embarkation afternoon, check your Welcome Princess Patter in the stateroom which may provide the dates for any formal nights or special events, to help you decide the night for Sabatini's. Then go visit the restaurant mid-ship where you can make your reservation, and also perhaps get a table assignment, given your partner's wheelchair. By at least pointing the circumstances out, this allows them to ensure a comfortable table while facilitating access.

Again, I would forego the dining line and do this in person. Embarkation afternoon is like a big "Open House" with people in each location to assist and take reservations in person.

We were on the same cruise and had anytime dining. We had little to no problem with getting a two top. We usually went to dinner between 7 and 7:30 so maybe that was the reason. Would also agree that the tables were close together, but, at least we didn't have to wait for the other table to show up before ordering and getting our meals.

Agree with the suggestion to go in person to make reservations or special requests whether in the specialty restaurants or the MDR. The dine-line tends to be not reliable when it comes to someone answering the phone.

Have a great cruise. The coral is a neat ship.

Edited by ar1950