Good Form?

shellsrus

I thought I recalled a note from HAL that said no laundry on the balcony. It is also hard to consider these balconies as "private."

If I recall correctly, that was due to the potential fire hazard when cigarettes flicked over the side are blown on balconies below.

I thought I recalled a note from HAL that said no laundry on the balcony. It is also hard to consider these balconies as "private."

HAL doesn't want anything unwanted going into the ocean. There are ways to make sure that doesn't happen ;)

LOL on private - really depends upon the balcony and the location. I know ours should be next year ;)

OMG! Hillbillys hangin' out their laundry. There goes the neighbourhood! 'He' probably wears a sleeveless T-shirt to the Dining Room... and 'they', their bathrobes to the Lido Deck... LOL.

Seriously though -

Even with really good clothespins, laundry can be blown overboard. Use the line provided in the head.

OMG! Hillbillys hangin' out their laundry. There goes the neighbourhood! 'He' probably wears a sleeveless T-shirt to the Dining Room... and 'they', their bathrobes to the Lido Deck... LOL.

Seriously though -

Even with really good clothespins, laundry can be blown overboard. Use the line provided in the head.

OMG, the horror!!! A pair of socks ruined my view :rolleyes:

I just got down to your comment - I had been thinking the exact same thing. Some probably went right there with the "these people probably ruined our MDR experience by wearing the wifebeater and a low-cut leopard minidress" :eek:

I hang a few items outside when I have a balcony, especially when I've just taken a shower to get the pool water off of me. A little pure sunshine on something helps the drying process rather than sticking something in the bathroom.

The nitpicking of things that "upset" people on HAL just makes me want to come back to this forum just for the comedy ;)

Funny! :D We were docked in St Maarten last March when one of the huge Celebrity ships pulled in across the dock from us. Besides feeling a bit weird to have this mamouth ship casting a shadow over us and feeling like we were in a fish bowl one of the things I noticed were the number of verandas having all sorts of clothing hanging or on chairs drying/airing out. I wish I'd taken a picture now but I remember clearly thinking then it looked tacky to have this huge ship next to us with clothing hanging out on several verandas. Ruth's comment of "tenement" was exactly my thought at the time. :eek::D

Not sure i have an explanation for people hanging laundry outside on HAL since they have a drying line in the bathroom, except perhaps that things do dry more quickly outside. However, I was on the Celebrity Equinox over the summer. We were on a European sailing and had just spent a week in Italy before our cruise. We packed lightly and had to do some laundry. I was dismayed that the Celebrity Equinox did NOT have any type of clothesline in the bathroom, so I did wash a few items in the sink and put them outside on our balcony chairs to dry. I only left them there for a few hours and they dried pretty quickly. I personally don't mind when others do this, especially on sea days, but i can imagine how it must look on port days.

Our travel essentials includes one of the braided rubber clothes lines that are available in many travel shops as well as Amazon and the like. With multiple attachment choices (suction cup, hook and velcro), they are very versatile yet small, light and easy to pack. The braid enables you to forego clothes pegs, as you simply poke a bit of material through the braid and it holds very well. We've used it multiple times on Celebrity cruises, strung up in the shower enclosure, but we've been known to use it on our balcony on occasion (:eek:) to dry a bathing suit or snorkel shirt whatever the cruise line.

Our travel essentials includes one of the braided rubber clothes lines that are available in many travel shops as well as Amazon and the like. With multiple attachment choices (suction cup, hook and velcro), they are very versatile yet small, light and easy to pack. The braid enables you to forego clothes pegs, as you simply poke a bit of material through the braid and it holds very well. We've used it multiple times on Celebrity cruises, strung up in the shower enclosure, but we've been known to use it on our balcony on occasion (:eek:) to dry a bathing suit or snorkel shirt whatever the cruise line.

What is this product called please? Sounds like an added travel essential for me! Thanks

This is the one I have:

http://lewisnclark.com/latex-clothesline/

I purchased mine at: https://www.jet-setter.ca in Montreal, but I'm sure you'll find it or similar at most travel-related shops, as well as on Amazon.ca.

Take a good look at the fasteners, as having multiple types provides greater versatility when putting up your line.

Enjoy! :)

What is this product called please? Sounds like an added travel essential for me! Thanks

Latex clothesline, portable clothesline, packable clothesline...

I see you are in BC - if you are near an MEC store, I'd look there for one. The Lewis & Clark website was mentioned for one. Also, look at Magellans and Travelsmith sites. The US-equivalent to MEC, REI, also has them in-store (if you happen to be close the US border and can get to Seattle) or online.

If I'm traveling to a place that I have not been before, I'll pack mine (I've had it for YEARS) and the travel sink stopper - I like to do a little laundry on the road. Yep, I'm a tenement dweller when I travel ;)

I assume it's true on all cruise lines, but I know for certain that it is true on Norwegian and Princess, guests are asked to refrain from keeping any item on their balconies. This is for the aforementioned reasons of keeping them from blowing into the water and from starting fires. If my memory is correct, the fire that destroyed over 100 cabins on Star Princess was determined to have been caused by a towel left on a balcony.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If hanging my bathing suit is a fire hazard from someone dropping ashes, maybe they ought to ask guests to not smoke on balconies. After all....I might be in the bathing suit or anything else when someone flicks ashes. if it can burn on a chair back, it can burn on a human back too.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

If hanging my bathing suit is a fire hazard from someone dropping ashes, maybe they ought to ask guests to not smoke on balconies. After all....I might be in the bathing suit or anything else when someone flicks ashes. if it can burn on a chair back, it can burn on a human back too.

I think it's more a case of the bathing suit (what ever) blowing off the balcony, getting 'sucked in' somewhere and starting a fire.