Port liberty in New Jersey

bcsurvivor05

Thank you for the map dswallow. It reminds me of a question i have.

Has anyone ever tried to bypass the long line for the terminal by driving directly to the parking garage? In other words, have you tried turning left right before the final warehouse on 12th st. then turning right on port terminal blvd, going past the old terminal to get to the parking garage?

The roadway there is one-way. You can't.

The overflow parking area is fenced in everywhere except the entrance on the left between the two buildings in the center of that side of the lot. The other locations are blocked to vehicles and only can accommodate people walking or in wheelchairs. So you can't try to take a shortcut there and drive on a small portion of the one way roadway the wrong way. :)

Thank you for the map dswallow. It reminds me of a question i have.

Has anyone ever tried to bypass the long line for the terminal by driving directly to the parking garage? In other words, have you tried turning left right before the final warehouse on 12th st. then turning right on port terminal blvd, going past the old terminal to get to the parking garage?

The roads are one way in the opposite direction with a no left turn sign I believe at 12th St. Cars exiting the parking garage use this route to escape from the parking. It wasn't well thought out. My impression is that many folks would go directly to the parking garage and schlep their luggage back to the terminal if the option were offered. It would certainly alleviate some of the backup on the road.

My impression is that many folks would go directly to the parking garage and schlep their luggage back to the terminal if the option were offered. It would certainly alleviate some of the backup on the road.

It'd just become another line. The traffic really does move fast enough (and they'll also use the area between the bus lane section and the terminal for addition van and car unloading). And really it's so completely inconvenient to lug your own luggage aboard, so you're still most likely to drag your own luggage from the parking area all the way over to the porters who are taking luggage from the cars.

The only folks who probably don't like dealing with it are per-ride Taxi services who could make more money if they could get out faster and get another fare. If you're in such a traffic line, you're not going to be watching the ship sail away without you. The only reason there'd be a backed up line is for the one ship in port that's boarding.

Thanks to all for your posting on pier parking. Your information is very helpful. It seems to be an easy process. We have cruised out of Port Liberty but it was before the renovations to the pier. We are looking forward to our cruise and exploring The Anthem of the Seas. So many responses to my post is awesome. Thanks again to all for the help, Heritagesteeler

Several years ago when we drove to the Port, after going through the Toll Booth after exit 14A just prior to the Port we took the left lane that went up and over 440 to get to the port rather than the right lane that goes through the residential streets. Looking at 2018 Google Maps there seems to be construction on the roads we took. What is the current construction status and what is the best way to go after the Toll booth?

Several years ago when we drove to the Port, after going through the Toll Booth after exit 14A just prior to the Port we took the left lane that went up and over 440 to get to the port rather than the right lane that goes through the residential streets. Looking at 2018 Google Maps there seems to be construction on the roads we took. What is the current construction status and what is the best way to go after the Toll booth?

I don't think I've ever taken the route you describe when going to the port. I'm coming from the south so take the exit to 440 off Garden State Parkway. While there's always lane closures because of the bridge construction now in its more final phases, at least overnight, it's never actually been closed anytime I've gone to or from the port. That's been in May 2017, October 2017, November 2017, and January 2018. I don't think there's much an issue even coming from the other direction. Where are you seeing something that concerns you when you look at the route on Google maps?

Last month construction appeared to have been completed and route simplified eliminating left turn onto 440 from that very long light. Need to keep close eye on signs for a while until gps data gets updated.

We will be coming from PA route 78 taking exit 14A to the toll booth. The concern I had was from the toll booth to the port.

There is now a third option to get to the port besides route 440 or local streets. Coming out of the toll booths you are looking for Chosin Few Way. I believe you stay to the left for Port Jersey Blvd and then exit right onto Chosin Few Way. This street dead ends at Goldsborough Drive where you make a left onto the port road. This cuts out all the traffic lights and most of the truck traffic.

I don't think I've ever taken the route you describe when going to the port. I'm coming from the south so take the exit to 440 off Garden State Parkway. While there's always lane closures because of the bridge construction now in its more final phases, at least overnight, it's never actually been closed anytime I've gone to or from the port. That's been in May 2017, October 2017, November 2017, and January 2018. I don't think there's much an issue even coming from the other direction. Where are you seeing something that concerns you when you look at the route on Google maps?

Coming from the south is different than coming via Exit 14A. It sounds like you pay the $15 toll to cut across Staten Island. The issue coming this way has been the Bayonne Bridge closures, which now seem to be mostly overnight.

Going through Staten Island costs you an expensive toll and saves little to no time. Better to take GSP to TPK and exit at 14A. Entrance to Cape Liberty is only 5 minutes from toll booth.

Coming from the south is different than coming via Exit 14A. It sounds like you pay the $15 toll to cut across Staten Island. The issue coming this way has been the Bayonne Bridge closures, which now seem to be mostly overnight.

That would trade the E-Z Pass price of $10.50 (maybe $12.50 if departure is on Sat or Sun and I hit the peak time that starts at 11am) (only paid eastbound) toll on Bayonne Bridge for a $4.75+$4.75=$9.50 (both ways) toll on the NJ Turnpike. I suppose I could save $5 if I took the NJ Turnpike to the port and Bayonne Bridge on return. But I don't really care. Not gonna make a dent in the cost overall. :)

There is now a third option to get to the port besides route 440 or local streets. Coming out of the toll booths you are looking for Chosin Few Way. I believe you stay to the left for Port Jersey Blvd and then exit right onto Chosin Few Way. This street dead ends at Goldsborough Drive where you make a left onto the port road. This cuts out all the traffic lights and most of the truck traffic.

That is similar to the way we went years ago except we went to 440. My concern was when you look at the current view, 2018 google maps, it shows the overhead road from the toll booth to Chosin Few Way being worked on and not passable. They must have completed that portion and it is now passable.

Does anyone know if we can still bring a case of 24 water bottles on board? We used to be able to put a luggage tag on our water and it would be delivered to our cabin.

No.

New policy.

Maximum of 12 bottles, no more than 17 oz each. You must carry it on yourself.

• Like 1

The roadway there is one-way. You can't.

The overflow parking area is fenced in everywhere except the entrance on the left between the two buildings in the center of that side of the lot. The other locations are blocked to vehicles and only can accommodate people walking or in wheelchairs. So you can't try to take a shortcut there and drive on a small portion of the one way roadway the wrong way. :)

Well that is a disappointment. But thanks for the answer.

Does anyone know if there is a separate drop off place for luggage on star class?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Star class can drop off luggage at Zone 6, stay in the right hand lane when getting closer to the terminal.

32845d02e467209237413d5a93977a7f.jpg

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Where exactly are the ticket machines used for paying for the parking? I read that they are outside the parking garage.

My uncle had seen a photo of them, but can't find it now. 😏

The ticket machines are in a little alley way that separates the main terminal from the parking garage.  When we returned there were a couple of guys assisting.  🍷

• Like 1

For our last cruise we had to park in the outside lot which is no problem at all. We asked about the indoor parking and they told us because of the other ships that use the port the only parking that was available in the indoor lot was handicap only. They leave plenty of handicap spots so don't worry. I saw a few cars being directed their. Just mention you need the handicap parking to the guys that direct traffic and you will be fine.