How to do shows with kids

WildP

Hi

We're new to RCL, booked for Allure in Feb. Previously we've sailed on DCL so if ever there was a show we wanted to see we could drop the kids off at the kids club. However I've been reading that the kids clubs are closed 5-7 and after 10pm there's a charge. So I'm wondering what do parents do? In particular hubby and I would like to see the Mama Mia show but I don't think the kids could handle the full show. The one day it's playing late - after 9:30 pm so I'm worried we'll get charged for keeping the kids in the club past 10. Another day it's on at 5 pm which is perfect but what do we do with the kids. I'm worried that either I make them come with us or we get charged. Am I missing something? For those who have kids what did you do for the shows? Also when should I be booking for the shows?

TIA

I don't know what people do nowadays, but back when my daughter was too young to sit through the shows, I just missed out too. Part of the sacrifice of being parents is sometimes we don't get to go to the fun stuff anymore. However, I'm sure there's a way, I just don't know what it is these days. My kid is now too old for kids club.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Hi

We're new to RCL, booked for Allure in Feb. Previously we've sailed on DCL so if ever there was a show we wanted to see we could drop the kids off at the kids club. However I've been reading that the kids clubs are closed 5-7 and after 10pm there's a charge. So I'm wondering what do parents do? In particular hubby and I would like to see the Mama Mia show but I don't think the kids could handle the full show. The one day it's playing late - after 9:30 pm so I'm worried we'll get charged for keeping the kids in the club past 10. Another day it's on at 5 pm which is perfect but what do we do with the kids. I'm worried that either I make them come with us or we get charged. Am I missing something? For those who have kids what did you do for the shows? Also when should I be booking for the shows?

TIA

So what's the problem with being charged for one evening? It's a very small amount compared to the cost of the cruise.

There is no set time for the show reservations to open, just keep checking your Cruise Planner.

Edited by clarea

Thanks all! We plan on taking kids to most shows it's just Mama Mia I was questioning as it was so long. Our kids are 5 and 8 and loved the kids clubs on DCL. I don't mind paying the extra money after 10pm but am worried it may be a bit late for the 5 yr old especially as we have a port day the following morning.

Just take them. My three 5yos sat through 3 hours of Cats on the Oasis without a single complaint. They loved it!! They didn't even go the to restroom during intermission because they got to go on stage and take a photo with Old Deuteronomy. Now they're 6, and last month we saw Saturday Night Fever on the Liberty, and they loved that too. If you set high expectations for them, they can meet them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your options are "divide and conquer" - you go to one show and your hubby goes to another OR pay the late fee at the kid's club (which is nominal) OR take them to the show.

If your younger one is tired, he/she can fall asleep on your lap.

My daughter has always enjoyed the shows! I think she was 4 when we took our first cruise and she watched every show and loved it. My son who would have been 3 on his first cruise would not go to the kid's club without his sister. We usually bought him to the show and as soon as the lights went out, he was asleep. If my hubby enjoyed the show, he stayed, other wise, he would leave early and carry my son back to the cabin.

Thankfully, those days are behind us. My daughter comes to the shows now, and my son goes to the kid's club on his own :D The kids are also old enough to stay in the cabin by themselves But sometimes, they want to stay late at the kid's club, and then we pay the fee.

Hi

TIA

You need to do some planning but on 2 cruises on Allure one early sitting and one my time dining we have always managed to fit in around club hours

Thanks all! We plan on taking kids to most shows it's just Mama Mia I was questioning as it was so long. Our kids are 5 and 8 and loved the kids clubs on DCL. I don't mind paying the extra money after 10pm but am worried it may be a bit late for the 5 yr old especially as we have a port day the following morning.

Is there not an earlier showing? I took my 6 year old to the 5pm show of Mamma Mia. She loves musicals and the three dad thing went over her head. She loves the show. My son wasn't interested so DH and him did something else and we met up afterwards.

Basically overall, we all went to the shows and just booked earlier times when we could.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

We always took our kids to the shows. They enjoyed it!

Same here. You might be surprised that the kids will enjoy it. My daughter always loves the regular shows. The only ones she never liked were the comedians (as she was too young to get the jokes). But a musical, she would always enjoy that.

My DD, now 12, stays late night in AO every night. It is only $7/hr (that was the cost on my last cruise) but if you want to save money and attend as a family, the 5 year old will probably fall asleep in your lap if you do the late show. Personally my DD does not like the shows even though she is a theater major in her performing arts school. She thinks they are too long. The 8yo will love the late night club so maybe you should take one and leave one in the club for 2 hours.It always what you feel comfortable with as a parent don't stress make your decision while on ship, just make the reservation for the whole family for the time you think would fit in your plans. As for the 5pm show. It may be the day that the AO offered dinner with the counselors, you could only hope but this is also a charge.