Senior Officers on the Koningsdam's Transatlantic

EaglesWing

I have to ask. Does it make a difference?

DON

Yes it does! If you've traveled with HAL frequently before you will probably have met a CD, Hotel Manager, and/or Captain, and it is nice to know who you will be sailing with. And these and other ship's personnel have much to do with the quality of your cruise.

Dan

Edited by obriendan

Yes it does! If you've traveled with HAL frequently before you will probably have met a CD, Hotel Manager, and/or Captain, and it is nice to know who you will be sailing with. And these and other ship's personnel have much to do with the quality of your cruise.

Dan

We have traveled frequently with HAL, and could care less about the Captain, Staff Captain or CD. We do think that a great Hotel Manager is very helpful...and our personal crew favorite is often the Beverage Manager :).

As to the Captain, since our friend (a HAL Captain) recently retired we no longer have any interest. In fact, on our recent 24 days on the Zuiderdam we never even saw the Captain since we skipped (as usual) all the Mariner's stuff and the Welcome Aboard party (a prefect time to be in another part of the ship). On the Zuiderdam, the Senior Officers were never seen in the MDR at dinner time (they only showed themselves in the Pinnacle) since they are now too good to dine with the masses :). We would add that the staff did call our cabin multiple times asking if we were going to attend certain Mariner's events...and seemed "shocked" when we always said, "we appreciate the invitation but have other plans."

We would add that when on the Prinsendam (our favorite HAL vessel) this past spring...many Senior Officers (and staff) did dine in the MDR...and those folks were a true delight. Seems to be a different point of view on the Prinsendam where many officers appeared to enjoy being with the masses.

Hank

Dan

I agree! The ship's Master and Hotel Director set the tone for the ship. The crew quickly picks up on that. The ship's staff/crew. in all Departments, reflect that "tone/attitude".

Even the Cruise Director reflects this "tone". On my most disappointing b2b HAL cruises which were on the Noordam in the Caribbean, the Cruise Director was a "dud".

When I embarked a different HAL cruise on a different ship several months later, I went "Oh, No!" when I saw whom the Cruise Director was. Was I ever surprised! The man was 100% different from when I first encountered him. He was funny, he was engaging, he sang, he even participated in a skit wearing a "grass" skirt.

Why was this? In my humble opinion, the ship's Master and Hotel Director were obviously guest oriented and the Staff's service/attitude/expectations for positive guest experiences reflected the "Signature of Excellence" that I expect.

(I "Savor the Journey", but I still expect the "Signature of Excellence" when I sail with Holland America Line.)

I agree! The ship's Master and Hotel Director set the tone for the ship. The crew quickly picks up on that. The ship's staff/crew. in all Departments, reflect that "tone/attitude".

Even the Cruise Director reflects this "tone". On my most disappointing b2b HAL cruises which were on the Noordam in the Caribbean, the Cruise Director was a "dud".

When I embarked a different HAL cruise on a different ship several months later, I went "Oh, No!" when I saw whom the Cruise Director was. Was I ever surprised! The man was 100% different from when I first encountered him. He was funny, he was engaging, he sang, he even participated in a skit wearing a "grass" skirt.

Why was this? In my humble opinion, the ship's Master and Hotel Director were obviously guest oriented and the Staff's service/attitude/expectations for positive guest experiences reflected the "Signature of Excellence" that I expect.

(I "Savor the Journey", but I still expect the "Signature of Excellence" when I sail with Holland America Line.)

This is an interesting post and just goes to show you how things can work.

Your opinion would seem right on the mark.

-----------------------------------------

Concerning a previous post about officers in the MDR. We have seen very few. Unless things have change completely in the last few months most, including the Captain, HM, CD, are regular diners in the Lido, 3 meals a day.

This is an interesting post and just goes to show you how things can work.

Your opinion would seem right on the mark.

-----------------------------------------

Concerning a previous post about officers in the MDR. We have seen very few. Unless things have change completely in the last few months most, including the Captain, HM, CD, are regular diners in the Lido, 3 meals a day.

Recently off the VOV and I agree with your comment about officers in the MDR. On 3 of the Gala Nights, my table had the good fortune (have no idea why) of having ship staff members arrive to host the table. First time, two women from the Front Office staff were the hostesses, the second time, the woman who was the staff member responsible for food/drink related activities, i.e. Sip n' Savor, Cooking Shows, etc., was the hostess. The third time, my dining room Stewards expected an officer, a place was set, but no one appeared. Complimentary wine was still served, however. We at the table wondered who our "mystery officer" might have been. Our Stewards did not know.

I did see at least one deck officer in the MDR, but could not determine what rank he was. I did not see either Captains nor the HD in the MDR. Certainly, this does not mean they were not there. Others on the cruise may have different observations.

We have traveled frequently with HAL, and could care less about the Captain, Staff Captain or CD. We do think that a great Hotel Manager is very helpful...and our personal crew favorite is often the Beverage Manager :).

As to the Captain, since our friend (a HAL Captain) recently retired we no longer have any interest. In fact, on our recent 24 days on the Zuiderdam we never even saw the Captain since we skipped (as usual) all the Mariner's stuff and the Welcome Aboard party (a prefect time to be in another part of the ship). On the Zuiderdam, the Senior Officers were never seen in the MDR at dinner time (they only showed themselves in the Pinnacle) since they are now too good to dine with the masses :). We would add that the staff did call our cabin multiple times asking if we were going to attend certain Mariner's events...and seemed "shocked" when we always said, "we appreciate the invitation but have other plans."

We would add that when on the Prinsendam (our favorite HAL vessel) this past spring...many Senior Officers (and staff) did dine in the MDR...and those folks were a true delight. Seems to be a different point of view on the Prinsendam where many officers appeared to enjoy being with the masses.

Hank

I agree with your comment about the Prinsendam - we frequently saw junior officers, entertainment staff and even the captain and other senior officers eating daily in the Lido Market - and nobody fawned over them, they were able to eat their meal in peace and mixed in a pleasurable way with the passengers. We always wondered if the Prinsendam didn't have an officers' mess!

I agree with your comment about the Prinsendam - we frequently saw junior officers, entertainment staff and even the captain and other senior officers eating daily in the Lido Market - and nobody fawned over them, they were able to eat their meal in peace and mixed in a pleasurable way with the passengers. We always wondered if the Prinsendam didn't have an officers' mess!

What you describe has been the HAL standard for years and years.

HAL ships do not have officers' DRs. They (can) all eat in the LIDO, 3 meals a day (not the Main Dining Room).

You rarely see officers in the Main Dining Room. Then, often to host a table on Gala Night.

You do see officers in the Pinnacle sometimes: several years ago we would walk by the Pinnacle on the Zaandam every night, calling it the "staff DR" because there were often more officers than passengers in there!

I understand that some cruise lines do have officers' DRs.

Edited by SilvertoGold

What you describe has been the HAL standard for years and years.

HAL ships do not have officers' DRs. They (can) all eat in the LIDO, 3 meals a day (not the Main Dining Room).

You rarely see officers in the Main Dining Room. Then, often to host a table on Gala Night.

You do see officers in the Pinnacle sometimes: several years ago we would walk by the Pinnacle on the Zaandam every night, calling it the "staff DR" because there were often more officers than passengers in there!

I understand that some cruise lines do have officers' DRs.

On our recent 24 days on the Zuiderdam (a few weeks ago) we never, once, saw any officer dining in the MDR...even on Gala Nights. Perhaps this reflects to the lower quality of food in the MDR (only teasing). We did see some senior officers in the Pinnacle. As we said in the other post, on the Prinsendam (March--May) senior officers and staff were often found (en masse) in the MDR on Gala Nights where they regularly joined passenger tables for dinner. Not sure if the policy changed from early May (Prinsendam) to July (Zuiderdam) of it this just reflects a different philosophy of the two different Captains.

Hank

On our recent 24 days on the Zuiderdam (a few weeks ago) we never, once, saw any officer dining in the MDR...even on Gala Nights. Perhaps this reflects to the lower quality of food in the MDR (only teasing). We did see some senior officers in the Pinnacle. As we said in the other post, on the Prinsendam (March--May) senior officers and staff were often found (en masse) in the MDR on Gala Nights where they regularly joined passenger tables for dinner. Not sure if the policy changed from early May (Prinsendam) to July (Zuiderdam) of it this just reflects a different philosophy of the two different Captains.

Hank

Officers in the MDR hosting tables on Gala Night can be common or not. Shorter cruises tend not to have many, if any, Officers hosting tables. What you don't see is Officers dining there on their own.

• 8 months later...
I have to ask. Does it make a difference?

DON

Go to the NCL board there is whole threads - yes it does matter,

BTW has anyone on this site had a cruise with a former NCL HD Prem ...

This guy is absolutely amazing

It is another case of "to each her own."

Who is managing staff on a cruise is probably one of the very last items I think about for a cruise. I know the Captain and his staff will "drive" the ship safely. My cabin will be serviced to a minimum level as outlined in the HAL guidelines; if more is done, great, if no more, fine. My food should be edible and I should have selections available for my dietary preference (no red meat). I do not particpate in any activities that require a CD to be delightful, chatty, make cheesy jokes, etc. I actually would prefer no visible CD at all - make that person just another behind-the-scenes manager. I have no concerns/worries/desires about when and where the staff dines. I don't have the need to get personal with staff. If senior staff is always out and about and glad-handing, I wonder just who is running the ship...

As long as my cruise has me relaxed and refreshed and not angry at the end, well, that is a good cruise for me :D

Does anyone know who the Captain, Hotel Manager, and Cruise Director will be on the Koningsdam's transatlantic passage October 24-November 9?

Thanks!

Capt: Emiel de Vries

Hdir: Don Habets

Cd: David Shea

Not 100% sure, if Copper sees this he'll know for sure

Capt: Emiel de Vries

Hdir: Don Habets

Cd: David Shea

Not 100% sure, if Copper sees this he'll know for sure

I do not know Mr. Habets or Mr. Shea. I have sailed with Captain de Vries on the Eurodam and he runs a "tight, happy ship". He is the Kongingsdam's take-out Master.

I do not know Mr. Habets or Mr. Shea. I have sailed with Captain de Vries on the Eurodam and he runs a "tight, happy ship". He is the Kongingsdam's take-out Master.

Don Habets and Emil de Vries complement each other very well. They are undoubtedly one of the best 1-2 punches in charge of a HAL ship. We have sailed with them both together on the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam and enjoyed ourselves every time.